• Published 31st Aug 2016
  • 6,298 Views, 168 Comments

A Lost Crystal Gem - The Story of Sunset and how she became Spinel - ratedoni



She has been on Earth for a long time, she even died to save humans once. Rose Quartz gave her a second chance to live and now she is in the biggest adventure of her life; becoming a Crystal Gem helping raise Steven and mostly having fun.

  • ...
20
 168
 6,298

Made out of Love

Nerve-wracking was not something that gems were used to feel, or at least until several decades ago when the unexpected arrival of a human that wasn’t a human affected their whole lives. Missions to rescue infected gems and discover new and strange things that gems left forgotten were not as strange as having to finally understand the strange things surrounding the main species of the planet, just for that jump several degrees in confusion with the knowledge that there were other universes out there and that suddenly they got a new member of the group.

Pearl had been the last of the Crystal Gems to truly embrace the teenage girl, but the pain of losing Spinel that night had almost broken her heart in half. If it weren’t for Rose and the strange magic that Spinel had, then Pearl didn’t want to think what would have happened; considering that they DID lose Rose several decades later, well, she probably would have reacted even worst.

She was a veteran in a long and difficult war, in which she had to say goodbye to many friends and gems across the years, but what happened with Spinel felt personal; so much that once she began to turn into a strange hybrid of human/gem, she began to truly take care of her.

The simple thought of losing another member of her family, even Amethyst, send Pearl into the very verge of depression and panic; so much that Garnet could barely contain her own panic at the idea of Lapis outside of her bubble.

It had been some time since the Crystal Gems had to deal with something as dangerous as Lapis Lazuli, and while it was true that around Spinel she tried her best at behaving, the way she had been affected by the energies from the Dark Helmet made her extremely unpredictable.

As one, the two Crystal Gems went inside Spinel’s apartment, this time using the front door instead of opening any holes on the walls. It had taken some time for Spinel to teach the Gems that they could try and use the wooden doors instead of making their own entrance. Inside, instead of furniture being destroyed or even worst, finding Lapis once more trying to kill Spinel, they were instead surprised at seeing only one gem sitting down at the sofa and watching the television.

They had never been on Spinel’s apartment, mostly because there was no reliable way of getting in contact with her, what with the warp pad at Canterlot being disconnected from the main network and in general trying to let Spinel live her own life; but even with the small knowledge of human architecture and interior design, they arrived to the same conclusion of it being a really nice cozy place to live in. Which is why the appearance of said gem was so surprising for them both.

Said gem was using her blue and white long velvet coat with a skin tight shoulder less purple blouse in the same design as the one Spinel used to wear. In the middle of said blouse, the gem was wearing the Crystal Gem star symbolizing her loyalties. Alongside the flared white skirt of Lapis and the long dark blue with deep red lines socks, the girl was a perfect combination.

“Hey girls, welcome to my… well, her apartment, is it mine also considering? Oh, right, do you guys want something to drink or is Amethyst the only one that drinks back at the temple?” The gem said only turning around to look at them as she rose one of her arms; in it, they could see a glass bottle with some kind of beverage on it. Considering who was the owner of the apartment, they knew it must have been root beer.

“Kyanite, well, this is… a surprise,” Pearl could only answer as she looked at the gem watching the television, not quite sure how to react at the whole situation. Thankfully, Garnet recovered quickly; she was a little happy to see a gem like herself present in the apartment.

“It’s been a long time, that you are here means that those two are finally healed.”

“Nope, but at least Spinel was capable of calming Lapis, but I don’t think they want to be bothered right now, you know how these things go, I mean, I’m sure Sapphire and Ruby like to have some private time too, right?” Kyanite’s four purple eyes twinkled with delight of finally being outside and having the capacity of moving around.

Garnet knew what the other fusion talked about; after all, the stronger the connection between the gems were, the harder it was to call them back from the subconscious, making it even harder to get them to unfuse, beyond the usual methods of stress or destroying the physical body. The afro haired fusion knew very well how hard it was to get Ruby or Sapphire to pay attention to the physical world unless it was something completely urgent.

“So what do you plan to do now?”

“I don’t know, I mean, I don’t have your future vision so I’ll just play along, maybe even go to school, I’ve never been to school, what about you? Anyway, did you know that there is a rerun channel? I can finally watch some series I missed back then, so I have some things to do at least,” It was clear just how much Kyanite was enjoying the moment because she was basically shivering on the sofa.

“What is your plan if you unfuse suddenly?” it was obvious that even Kyanite was nervous about something like that because even from here Garnet saw her gulp at the idea of something like that happening. Sadly for all, Future Vision never truly stuck with Spinel; there was something about that girl that just made the ability completely useless, but only when it came to her personally, which most of the time made Garnet -including Ruby and Sapphire in more than one occasion- completely scared for the second time in her life; bad enough that Ruby was more than ready to initiate a 24/7 surveillance of Spinel to make sure nothing happened to her.

It had taken a long time for Sapphire to convince Ruby to let Spinel live her own life, but in the end the hotheaded red gem finally relented and allowed Spinel to leave and study at Canterlot, not that the first few weeks weren’t nerve wracking, with only Sapphire’s constant presence calming Ruby. Even Garnet sometimes wanted to come and check on the redheaded gem hybrid.

“I’ll just wing it, that’s basically the motto of Spinel anyway, hey, now that I think about it, do you think I can meet Steven? I could even go on an adventure!” As Pearl began to admonish the fusion, Garnet kept thinking about the strange tower and Lapis.

Sure, the situation had been contained for now, but how long could Kyanite keep fused before the Lapis lose control like last time? She was a ticking bomb and they needed to find an answer. Maybe something at the tower had something to do? In any case, Kyanite would be a presence that they couldn’t keep hidden for long, but what could they do? This and other worried thoughts travelled across Garnet’s mind as the future became more and more uncertain.

Author's Note:

Sorry, I have no pic of Kyanite since I am incredible bad at drawing and I will never be able to do anything beyond a stick figure. Anyway, hope you find this new addition funny because she wil be present for a couple of more of episodes, since beyond some nice comedic chapters with the rest of the canterlot girls, we will find more about what happened with lapis that she became so unhinged and also about the mysterious shooter.

Don't miss next chapter as our favorite gems visit the desert where the presence of a certain pink animal will be invaluable.