• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 3,407 Views, 59 Comments

Adapting to Life as….Whatever the Heck We Are - TheManOfMadness



When the Main 6 are transformed into furless, bipedal creatures, they'll have to learn how to live in their new bodies.

  • ...
2
 59
 3,407

The Day Before

“Delivery for Twilight Sparkle. Sign here please.”

Spike sighed at the sight of the stallion in front of him. It wasn’t that he was against signing for packages and other deliveries; as Twilight’s number one assistance, he often had to sign for such things on her behalf. It was the delivery itself that made him sigh: it was a cart overflowing with books. That many books meant Twilight was not going to leave the library for several days, maybe a week, which would be dangerous to her health and her social life.

Reluctantly, Spike signed for the books and dragged the cart inside. At first he was going to leave the cart at the door until somepony could help him move it and return to the throne room, where Twilight and her friends were having a casual meeting. However, he then got an idea: if he showed the others the cart, they would also be worried for her, and be able to help if things got too bad. Feeling proud of himself for coming up with such a clever plan, he hoisted the reins to the cart on his shoulders and made his way down the long hallway to the throne room.

After what felt like hours (but in reality was about thirty minutes), Spike managed to reach the end of the hall. When he opened the door, he heard the ending of a story that Rainbow Dash was telling.

“And that’s how I saved Ponyville from the runaway tornado!” she exclaimed, earning various oohs and aahs from her friends.

“Ah say, that was mighty brave of you, Dash.” said Applejack.

“Yes, darling. Quite courageous.” agreed Rarity.

Rainbow Dash smiled proudly “Aw, it was no big deal. I just did what anypony as awesome as me would have done.”

“Oh, but didn’t you say that the tornado destroyed a good portion of your home?” Fluttershy questioned.

“Uh, yah,” Rainbow replied sheepishly, “but the builders will be able to fix it in a few days. I just need a place to stay until then.”

“Well don’t worry, Dash,” Twilight proclaimed, “you are welcome to stay here at the castle for as long as you need.”

“Thanks, Twi.” Rainbow answered, “One question, though: will I have to stay in the same room as those books?”

She pointed a hoof at the door, where Spike had dragged in the cart of books into the room. When Twilight saw them, a huge smile adorned her face. As soon as the other ponies saw this and the huge cart, almost all of them became concerned about their friend. Starlight, being new to the group, had a few questions.

“Umm, is it normal for this place to receive that many books?” she asked.

“Eeyep,” said Applejack, “but it never bodes well for Twi’s health.”

“Oh, don’t worry, Applejack,” Twilight replied calmly, “these books aren’t for reading.”

“WHAT!?”

Noticing the shocked looks on her friends’ faces, Twilight decided to elaborate. “Well, most of them I’ll read later, but the main reason there here is to be inspected. You see, these books are supposed cuuurrrrsed.” She dragged out and put a fake spooky tone on the word “cursed.” The other six ponies and lone dragon stared at her, then broke out into giggles.

“Cursed? Honestly, Twilight, you can’t believe that?” asked a still chuckling Rainbow Dash.

Twilight smile sheepishly and continued. “Well, allegedly. A long time ago, after the era of Discord and after Nightmare Moon was banished to the moon, ponies were worried that those two might have left behind objects affected by their magic. In their state of fear and paranoia, they started seeing such objects everywhere. Despite there being little evidence supporting their claims, the ponies demanded that anything accused of being cursed be destroyed. Celestia, not wanting to destroy potential relics of history and sources of knowledge, instead placed these objects in a secret vault where they would remain hidden until ponies had moved past such superstitions and she could put them back into society. These books are a small portion of such objects.”

“Okay, but that don’t explain why all those books are here and not in the Canterlot Library.” Applejack stated. Twilight had an answer for her.

“Well, just because the ponies back then were quick to accuse something of being cursed doesn’t mean they were wrong. Therefore, Celestia wants me to inspect these books before making them available to the general population, just to be safe. After they’re inspected, I will send them right back to Canterlot.” The other ponies in the room were still skeptical of whether or not Twilight would send the books back, but decided to trust her.

“Alright then, Twilight, we trust ya,” Applejack said, “but we’ll be keeping an eye on ya for your own good.”

Twilight sighed. She was saddened that her friends didn’t completely trust her to take care of herself, but thinking back to previous events like this, she couldn’t blame them for their decision. “Alright, deal.”

Now that the tension was gone, Rainbow Dash started to make her jokes. “Man, I can’t believe some ponies believed these books could be cursed. I mean, look at them!” She picked up a book from the cart and read the title. “Botany for beginners? What kind of curse could come from that, the curse of growing plants?”

“Ooh, ooh,” Pinkie exclaimed, grabbing another book from the pile, “what about this one: Celestia’s Coloring Book, curses you to see things in different colors than they actually are.”

Starlight, seeing an opportunity to create a bonding moment with her new friends, used her magic to grab a book and continued the gag. “Uh, Pony Anatomy 101, will curse you to, uh, understand anatomy better?” She gave a sheepish grin to Rainbow and Pinkie, who stared at her with looks suggesting that it wasn’t that good of a joke.

“We’ll have to work on your joking improv.” Rainbow said. Starlight sighed at this and placed the book in question on the map in front of them.

“You shouldn’t be joking at all.” Twilight scolded, “Those would all be serious curses that could be hurtful to some pony.” She looked at the three jokers with a disapproving glare, encouraging all three to apologize.

“Sorry, Twilight.” The trio said.

“Still would be lame curses, though” Rainbow quietly added.

“Well, no more of this talk about curses and books and what naught.” Said Applejack. “We’ve had our meeting, now we’re going to go on that picnic we talked about. This proposition got several nods and sounds of approval. As the group went out the door, Twilight turned to Spike.

“Spike, want to come?” She asked. “I’ve packed a few gems in the basket if you want to.”

“Are you kidding?” Spike exclaimed. “No way would I miss out on gems, and a chance to hang out with Rarity!” Twilight rolled her eyes as her young assistant raced ahead of her.

No one noticed that the book Starlight placed on the map began to gently glow a strange mix of teal and green. The glow spread from the book to the map, which then spread to the six thrones surrounding it. It then disappeared, as if it had never been there.


“Thanks again for letting me stay here, Twi.” Rainbow Dash said. She, Twilight, Spike, and Starlight were outside Twilight’s room, saying their goodnights before going to their own rooms. “Are you sure I can’t do anything for you in return? Make you breakfast or something like that?”

“Don’t worry about it, Dash.” Twilight assured “You just get a goodnight’s rest.”

“Okay, then. Goodnight, everypony.” Rainbow, turned and made her way to her room. After she left, Starlight groaned and rubbed her horn, as if nursing a headache. Twilight noticed this and became worried.

“Is everything alright, Starlight?”

“Hmm? Oh it’s nothing major. I’ve just felt a little drained today. I’m sure I’ll be fine after a good night’s rest.”

“Well, okay.” Twilight said, not completely convinced but not wanting to push the issue too hard. “You just let me know if it gets any worse, okay.”

“Okay. Good night Twilight. Good night Spike.”

“Good night!” They called out to her, leaving only Twilight and Spike in front of the door. Before Spike left for his room, the young alicorn spoke to her number one assistant.

“Get a good night’s sleep, Spike. We have a big day tomorrow inspecting those books.”

“I will, Twilight.” He assured. “Good night, Twilight.” He said as he made his way down the hall. Twilight smiled softly at her friend, then went inside her room, climbed into bed, closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.


Twilight was sleeping peacefully, until she started to hear a familiar voice and felt someone nudging her awake.

“Twilight! Wake up Twilight!”

“Hmm?” Twilight began to stir at the voice. Reluctantly, she opened her eyes to see that it was barely morning. Wondering who woke her up so early, she rolled over in her bed to see Spike, who had a worried look on his face. “Spike? What’s wrong?”

“Twilight! Thank Celestia you’re okay!”

“Of course I’m okay. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Okay, umm, don’t freak out too much, but you look, umm, different from when you went to bed.”

“Different? What do you mean?” Twilight asked, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

That’s when she saw it.

Her leg was gone! In the place of a hoof was a strange looking limb. It was furless except for a layer of extremely thin hairs, which were protruding from a tan-beige colored skin. At the end of this limb was not a hoof, but a strange appendage that was flatter than the limb. This appendage consisted of a center mass made of the same skin as the limb and five small smaller limbs that extended from it.

Twilight stared at the strange limb and appendage that replaced her leg and hoof with wide eyes. Her mouth hung open, but no words came from it. She blinked a few times, but the limb was still there. She wasn’t sure how to process this change to her body structure, and thus continued to stare. Spike, seeing his friend in distress, spoke up.

“Uh, Twilight? Are you okay?”

That’s when the scream finally came out of Twilight’s mouth.

Author's Note:

Hello! and welcome to my first story ever! I've been on Fimfiction a few months now and while I've seen "Human in Equestia" stories and "One of the Main 6 Turn Human and go to our World" stories, I have not seen any "Main 6 Turn Human and Stay in Equestia" stories. Thus, I have decided to write one myself. Now, like I said, this is my first story, so don't hold back on the constructive criticism about grammar, structure, or anything. I want to make this story good not just for me, but for you too.