• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 1,484 Views, 55 Comments

Where the Sunflowers Grow - Bluespectre



Rush, the latest and rather unsteady addition to the newly constructed palace, is home. Trials and tribulations lie ahead for the new Royal Consort who has to contend, not only with a new world and a new body, but the suspicious ponies of Equestria.

  • ...
7
 55
 1,484

Chapter Twelve - The Chocolate Princess

CHAPTER TWELVE

THE CHOCOLATE PRINCESS

“Dude, I’m telling you, she was like seriously freaking out. Some of the guys thought she was going to blast them into powder, yeah?”

Rush sighed, rubbing his hind legs, “You make her sound like she’s some sort of crazy old lunatic. She’s been under a lot of pressure, you know. Cut her some slack, Grove, that’s bound to have affected her.”

“Huh, yeah, right!” Grove snorted, “I think you know who was the cause of that!”

Rush neighed loudly, “Gods give me strength, I know! What do you want, a public apology or something?”

“A public flogging would be better.” Grove replied sarcastically, “For starters anyway.”

Rush groaned and leaned his head on the table, “I don’t bloody believe this. I’ve been stuck here for weeks, WEEKS! I’ve been banned from drinking, I’m on some bloody bizarre diet that makes me feel like I’m eating cat litter and I’m still stuck on ‘Biscuit the foal and the chocolate candy caper’!”

“At least you finished ‘Big Bob’s big night out’” Grove reasoned with a cheeky smirk.

“Oh belt up!” Rush snapped, “I’m bloody well pissed off to the back teeth with this rubbish. I can’t get it! I just can’t!”

“You’ll get the hang of it” Grove said flipping the pages of ‘Lime Pickles party palooza’. He furrowed his brow, “What’s a palooza, anyway?”

“How the buggering hell should I know?” Rush complained, thumping the desk, “I can’t read, I can’t write, I’m a bloody prisoner in the palace, and Tia doesn’t trust me to get dressed in the morning without help.”

“She’s just protective of you after what happened” Grove reasoned, “Come on, we all thought you’d snuffed it.”

“Oh, well pardon me!” Rush replied huffily, “I didn’t do it deliberately you know. Being washed away, half drowned, nearly eaten by timber wolves and then drugged by some randy old mare, kind of makes me feel like I need a holiday, not trapped in here reading bloody foals books!”

Grove shook his head, “She loves you, Rush, you know that.”

“She doesn’t trust me, you mean.” Rush huffed.

“What? How the hell did you come to that conclusion?” Grove asked loudly, “Many of the lads would give their right foreleg for what you’ve got.”

“Huh! Yeah, I’m sure” Rush shook his mane, “Look, Grove, I just need to get outside and have a walk, no, a run. I can’t stand being stuck in here, it’s driving me mental!”

“Bit late for that if you ask me” Grove held up a hoof hurriedly as Rush span round angrily, “Joke! I was joking!” He smiled, “Look, dude, leave it with me, yeah? I’ll have a word with her nibs and-”

The brown stallion snorted loudly and slammed the book closed, “Sod that, I’m going out now.”

“What?! Rush, don’t be stupid, she’ll kill you! Us, I mean…us!” Grove jumped down from the stool but Rush was already out the door, “For the Goddess’s sake, Rush, I’m too young to be vaporized!”

“Then bugger off and tell I snuck out without you.” Rush called over his shoulder.

“Oh right, like she’d believe that!” Grove sighed and then ran forward, blocking Rush’s path, “Look, Rush, just stop for a bloody minute will you?” He held out a hoof and prodded the brown stallion in the chest, “I’ve got…’contingency’ plans, okay?”

Rush narrowed his eyes, “What?”

Grove stared at his hooves, “I mean, in case you really needed to go out, I’ve got…um…you know…”

“No?” Rush said.

“Okay! Goddesses, I’ve got money and instructions from Celestia to take you out and get you some new threads and books and stuff,” Grove explained, “but only if you insisted on going out. It was a kind of last resort thing.”

“A last resort?” Rush said in amazement, “What, she thinks I’m going to run off again, does she?”

“You can’t blame her!” Grove reasoned, tapping his head, “Think about it! How would you feel, eh?”

“I…” Rush shook his head and closed his eyes, “Oh, for…” He groaned, “Lead on then, oh great sage of wisdom.”

“Ha!” Grove snorted, “And don’t you forget it!”

The two friends walked out of the palace, heading down the long winding steps, past the pristine white and gold buildings, and struck out for the far less ornate town and rolling green fields of Paddock. Grove nudged Rush as they walked, trying to distract his friend from the darker moods he’d been slipping into ever since he’d been brought back from his ordeal in the forest. Strange tales from the guards had been circulating about that episode too: stories of unicorns living amongst the trees, of elves, witches and demons…all sorts of strange things. Rush however had barely said two words about it, and flatly refused to talk about what had happened to him regardless of his friend’s attempts to get him to open up. Grove didn’t like that – he loved a good story, and Rush’s refusal niggled him to the point where he wanted to drag it out of him all the more.

“How’s, um...your missus doing?” he asked.

Rush stared at the ground, “Fine.”

“Oh.” Grove scrubbed his mane as he walked, “I’m sorry.”

The brown stallion shook his head, “It’s alright, Grove, it’s just one of those things.” Rush’s voice sounded weary, as though he were tired well beyond the mere physical sense of the word, “Tia and I…we haven’t spoken much” he said quietly, “When we got back, it was…it was ‘uncomfortable’, like I was a complete stranger to her. I just…I don’t know what to think anymore.”

“She wrapped up with all the negotiations still?” Grove asked.

Rush nodded, “Yeah, every day, all day. When she comes back she’s so tired she just goes straight to bed and…well…it’s like I’m not even there sometimes.”

“Rush…” Grove stopped in his tracks, “Why didn’t you say something?”

“Say what?”

Grove flung his hooves up in exasperation, “You’ve been suffering like this for weeks and you never said anything? I’m your friend for goodness sake, you could have spoken to me, or Mind even.” He scrunched his face up for a second, “Okay, maybe not Mind, she’d probably tell you to do something that would get you locked up, but come on, you can speak to me.”

Rush smiled, “I know, it’s just…you know how it is.”

“Being a stallion, huh?” Grove shrugged, “’Guys don’t cry’, yeah, I know.” He shook his head sadly, “I saw plenty who did during the war - far, far too many.” Grove stared up at the sky and smiled bitterly, “Sometimes…tears are all you have left.”

“What happened to you, Grove?” Rush asked gently, “That day, after the market when you took off. It had something to do with that mare, didn’t it?”

Grove snorted out a laugh, “Oh, that” He nickered, giving his mane a shake, “Astra and I had...something…once.” He sighed, “I met her when I was on leave and fell head over hooves for her. I suppose I was obsessed with her really, everypony said I was, but to me, she was the most beautiful mare in the world.” He paused and smiled wanly, “She still is.”

Rush watched the emotion in his friend’s features; this was hurting him, maybe more so than Rush’s own situation with Tia hurt him. He gave Grove a nudge,

“I shouldn’t have said anything” he said with a huff, “Come on, let’s…”

“No!” Grove stopped suddenly and turned to face his friend, his eyes glinting brightly, “If I…if I tell you this, you tell me what’s happening with Tia, okay?”

Rush shook his head sadly, “Grove, I…”

“Please! Rush, I…I need a friend to talk to. None of the guys, they…they wouldn’t understand, or at least they wouldn’t really care, and…and even Mind…” Grove trailed off.

“But you and Mind are....” Rush waved a hoof, “together, aren’t you?”

“It’s not like that.” Grove explained, “Mind and I are friends, friends who just…enjoy each others company from time to time. We’re not, you know, in love or anything.”

“You could have fooled me.” Rush said levelly, “I’ve seen the way she looks at you.”

“Oh, come on!” Grove laughed suddenly, “Mind doesn’t operate like that! She’s a free mare who takes what she wants, when she wants it. I’m just a quick frolic when she fancies it and that’s all, nothing more, nothing less.”

Rush shook his head, “I don’t know” he said with a sigh, “As I said: you could have fooled me.”

“Ha!” Grove snorted, “You got that right!” The first of the shops came into view and Grove pointed to one with brightly painted imagery on the outside, “Let’s get something to eat and we can have a natter before we get some you tarted up.”

“Tarted up?” Grove asked in surprise, “Hang on, you mean…oh Gods…clothes shopping?”

“Uh-huh!” cGrove grinned, “Orders are orders, mate.”

Rush groaned loudly, much to the amusement of his orange coated friend who held open the door to the shop with a beaming grin on his face. A small bell tinkled above them as they entered. Inside, bright colours assailed Rush in a massive kaleidoscope of riotous reds, yellows, whites and pinks that made his head spin. It was as if somepony were not simply trying to make you smile, but demanding it at sword point. He took a seat in a cubicle and pulled out a menu. The pictures before him were of things he’d never seen before: not at the palace, nor anywhere in the human world. They all looked like…well, they looked like lumps of edible colour. At least, he thought they were…

“Can you eat these?” Rush asked.

Grove’s eyes went wide, “You’ve never had ice cream?!”

“What’s ice cream?”

Grove threw up his forelegs, “You live at the palace! How can you not have had ice cream?!”

“How the bloody hell should I know!” Rush hissed, conscious of the other customers, “It’s not like I get much choice in the matter, it just arrives at the table. Anyway, Tia likes cakes and trifles, not…” he waved a hoof at the menu, “this stuff!”

Grove chuckled, “Oh yeah, we’ve all heard about the Princess and the chocolate cake incident.”

“What incident? I never heard about that.” Rush replied.

“Because it would probably mean a one way ticket to the heads stallions block if anypony told you!” the orange stallion replied, “Look, I’ll tell you one day, but not now, okay? Let’s order and then we can…talk.”

A yellow and white mare appeared sporting an apron and a large white floppy hat that her mane had been stuffed up into. Her smile was infectious and soon had Rush, despite his normally reserved manner, feeling an echoing smile crossing his face too,

“What can I get you chaps?” she asked chirpily.

Grove nodded towards Rush, encouragingly. Squinting at the menu, Rush tried to decipher the jolly looking text, “I’ll have erm, the er choc…no, the er…nut and honey extrava…ex…um…”

“Extravaganza?” The mare finished helpfully, “Good choice!” Somehow her smile seemed to get even wider, “Do you want any extra toppings?”

Rush looked to Grove helplessly. Chuckling, his friend gave the waitress a wink, “Load him up, Gala, it’s his first time.”

“Ice cream virgin, huh?” the mare said cheekily, “Sure, I’ll give him the works.” She waggled her eyebrows at Rush, “And to drink?”

“Oh! Er, coffee for me please” he said, closing the menu, “Milk with one.”

Grove raised an eyebrow, “Coffee? I thought you were like, the ‘tea master’ or something.”

“I fancied a change.” Rush said huffily, “I am open to new ideas, you know.”

“The new look Rush, eh?” Grove shook his head in surprise and turned to the waitress, “Usual for me, please Gala.”

The menu’s vanished along with the waitress, leaving the two stallions sitting in a suddenly awkward silence. Rush cleared his throat,

“What do you mean, the new look Rush?” he asked, trying not to sound too critical, “Have I changed that much?” He turned to look into the long mirror than ran alongside the entire wall of the shop. The image stared back at him; his blue eyes were as blue as ever, his coat, ears, mane - everything seemed the same. Well, perhaps he’d put a little weight back on after his episode in the forest, but that wasn’t surprising considering he’d gone from a fight for survival to complete inactivity, or rather, the imposed confinement by a certain overprotective alicorn. None of that, nor the lavish meals, had done anything to help keep him in trim.

“You look fine, dude” Grove said rolling his eyes, “Honestly, do think her nibs would care that much about a pound or two?”

Rush stared down at his legs, “I don’t know. I’m not, you know, fancy like some of the other guys I’ve seen in the palace, or in Paddock for that matter. What about that chap with the multi-coloured mane? Or the one by the docks with all the stripes?”

Grove snorted, “You can’t tell me that’s natural! They must have it dyed.” He scrunched up his face, “Um, what about Celestia? Does she…?”

“It’s natural.” Rush said levelly, “Comes with the magic apparently.”

“Oh.” Grove let out a sigh, “So you and her are okay now, yeah?”

Rush groaned. He knew it would come to this, and he’d hoped he could distract Grove by talking about his problems instead! But as usual, the orange guardstallion had got his own way with the conversational direction and, if he were truly honest with himself, it felt strangely liberating to be able to talk to a friend about things. He opened his mouth to speak just as the two coffee’s appeared, along with two tall glasses filled with bizarre looking balls of colour topped with cream, sprinkles, nuts and…an umbrella?!

“Enjoy!” The waitress smirked and trotted away.

“Come on, dive in!” Grove encouraged.

Tentatively, Rush lifted his spoon and scooped some of the soft colourful contents into his mouth. Grove was watching him intently, obviously expecting some sort of reaction, but…

“Oh! OH!” Rush closed his mouth and shuddered, “Oh, my Gods!” He licked his lips and scooped another spoonful into his mouth, “Mmm! Oh! Oh that’s…amazing!”

Grove burst out laughing, while other patrons peered around at the loud exclamations coming from the two stallions, “For Celestia’s sake, keep it down, Rush!” he laughed, hanging onto his sides, “Ponies will think you’re…” he wiped his eyes, “Good Goddess’s you sound like…” Grove shook his head, giving up on any further explanation.

“Is everything alright?” the waitress asked, reappearing suddenly.

Rush nodded, ramming another spoonful into his mouth, “Is it alright? It’s incredible! I’ve never…”

The spoon fell onto the table with a metallic clatter.

“Ow…OW! ARGH!”

“Oh yeah, that happens if you eat ice cream too fast.” Grove said off hoofedly, “It’ll pass.”

“Gah!” Rush flung his forelegs over his head and gasped for air, “Bloody hell, my head! This stuff should come with a bloody health warning!”

“It does” Grove pointed out, motioning towards the bottom of the sign over the counter behind them, “See?”

Rush squinted, the lancing pain above his eyes gradually diminishing, “Brain…freeze?” he said uncertainly.

Grove nodded, “Yup. If you belt it down like you were, you’ll turn your noggin into an icicle.” He took a mouthful of his own ice cream and pointed to his coffee, “Get some of that down you and it’ll help.”

Rush took a sip of the hot drink and sighed in relief as the pain quickly passed, leaving him feeling a little embarrassed. Grove however, dismissed it,

“We’ve all done it. Pleasure and pain, eh?” he said with a smile.

“If you say so” Rush took another wary taste of the ice cream, “But it is safe to eat, right?”

Grove clucked his tongue, “No, I’m trying to poison you, aren’t I, you bloody idiot!” He rolled his eyes, “Now, come on then, what’s been happening with Tia?”

Rush leaned back, allowing the delicious sweetness to coat his taste buds - the soft, cold, deliciousness blended with the small nutty pieces and cream, taking him away on a cloud of bliss that seemed to melt his defences and inhibitions like nothing he’d ever experienced before. He closed his eyes,

“I don’t know where to start.” he said, “Honestly, I mean, when we got back to the palace she fussed over me endlessly, getting me fed, washed, and looked over by the doctor. After that she started treating me like I was made of china or something, and now she won’t even let me out of the palace.” He paused, “Except today, of course.”

Grove nodded, “She’s worried about losing you again; you know that.”

“Of course I do” Rush said, sipping his coffee, “But Grove…she won’t even…she won’t…” He hung his head. The orange stallion reached over and gave his hoof a reassuring pat,

“It’s alright, you don’t have to say anything that makes you uncomfortable.”

Rush snorted out a laugh, “Since when did you become my counsellor?” He chuckled, “Nah, it’s funny, you know? When my wife and daughter died, I didn’t really miss having female company, or any company at all for that matter. But now, after I met Tia, just to be away from her hurts…inside.” He sighed, “Grove, she…she won’t touch me, or let me touch her either, it’s like I’m infected somehow, or…tainted.”

“Have you spoken to her about it?” Grove asked.

Rush shook his head, “No. It’s hard to. She sleeps next to me of course, but she usually waits until she thinks I’m asleep before coming to bed.” Rush closed his eyes, “Every day it’s been like this, every single bloody day. I don’t think I can take much more, I…I think I’m falling apart…”

Grove shook his head, “Look mate, I’m not the best pony in the world to advise about mares, certainly not with my track record.” He smiled, “But even I can see you need to talk to her, and I mean really talk, or you really will go round the bend.” He nodded emphatically, “So today, we have a break, we get you some new duds, a clip, and present you to her as the new and improved grumpy old reed cutter.”

“Hey!” Rush laughed, wiping his eyes with a foreleg, “You rotten sod!”

“Meh, everypony loves the Grovester” Grove beamed, “Now, I suppose I owe you an explanation too.”

“About Astra?”

Grove nodded, his eyes looking down sadly for a moment before flicking back up, “She’s carrying my foal.”

“She’s what?!” Rush breathed, “But Yule! He’s, I mean…they’re…”

“Yeah, I know.” Grove said with a shrug, “I think he knows too, or at least, he suspects.”

Rush’s words caught in his throat, “Gods above, Grove, you had an affair with the pegasus guard commanders wife?!”

“She wasn’t then!” Grove retorted, “She and I were…we were in love. Celestia’s furry arse, Rush, we’ve been lovers since school! But we were from different worlds; her family certainly were, or rather are, aristocracy. Yule’s too for that matter.”

“Aristocracy?” Rush sniffed, “Money, that’s all that means.” He licked a crumb from his muzzle, “I’ve no time for them.”

Grove guffawed, “Say’s the guy bedding the Princess.”

“I am not!” Rush sputtered, “I just, I…I share the bed with her, that’s all.”

“You can’t mean you haven’t…?” Grove stared at Rush through the steam from his coffee, watching his friends vacant expression. All this time they’d been together and their relationship had… “Damn, dude, that’s…I’m sorry.”

“Sorry?” Rush sighed, “It’s not everything, Grove.” He lifted his spoon and scraped the last of his ice cream from the bottom of the glass, “I just wish we were, you know, that little bit closer, but I feel like she’s locked me out.” He huffed, “Anyway, what about you and Astra? You’re a royal guard, that’s got to mean something. Surely her parents would have seen the value in you, and the importance of your career to Equestria.”

Grove shook his head, “I’ve been over this time and time again, wracking my brains for what I could have done differently or what I should have done that I didn’t, and on and on and on.” He laughed, “You know Rush, there are many out there who’d say I should have just had my fun and left her, yeah? To just say, ‘okay, you know what? Sod her, she’s decided she wants that fop, Yule, so leave her to it’, and Goddesses know, they’re probably right.”

“But you still love her, don’t you?” Rush asked.

The orange stallion barked out a laugh, “You got me!” Grove sank back into his seat, closing his eyes as he spoke, “I do. When I was back from leave, she and I had a fling together. We knew it was wrong, of course we did, but her parents had just sold her off like some damned livestock to the highest bidder – a breeding cow for Yule’s family to keep the line going.”

Rush nodded slowly, “The same happened with the nobles in my world. Females were for breeding, males for fighting - the whole damned lot of them were like rabid animals.”

“No love for the nobility, eh?” Grove chuckled.

Rush sniffed, “We all feel the rain, we all need to eat, and we all need to take a crap, so yes, we are all the same.”

“Is that some human saying?” Grove asked.

Rush sniffed, “It’s a Rush-ism.”

The two friends laughed together, until Grove held his hoof up for another coffee. With a smile he turned back to his friend, “Did you hear what happened to him?”

“Who? Yule?” Rush shook his head, “Not a peep since we saw him in the market that time.”

Grove leaned across the table conspiratorially, “He’s in the clink.”

“The what?”

“The dungeons, dummy!” Grove said rolling his eyes, “A certain alicorn had him locked up.”

“You’re kidding me!” Rush’s ears perked up in fascination, “What for?”

“Treason.”

“Bloody hell!” Rush’s eyes went wide in amazement, “I don’t know about Equestria, but where I’m from that’s a capital offence.”

Grove closed his eyes and nodded sagely, “And the same here. He’s a goner for sure, and you know what that means!”

Rush paused, his coffee halfway to his lips, “Astra…” he whispered. Grove nodded in reply. “Grove, look,” Rush continued, “I wouldn’t get your hopes up, if he’s to stand trial he could be acquitted and anyway, don’t you think this is…wrong?”

“Wrong?” Grove asked, his mane twitching, “How can it be wrong? If he’s accused of treason, then off comes his head and its ‘Hello Astra’, not to mention our foal. How the hell can that be wrong, Rush?”

Rush sipped his coffee, well aware his friend seemed to banking an awful lot on seeing Yule sent to the herd and his widow falling into his conveniently waiting forelegs. He tried to keep his voice calm and understanding, “If he’s guilty, and punished accordingly, then I will support you as much as I can. I’d like to see you re-united with Astra.” He held up a hoof, forestalling Grove’s words, “Only, I’m worried you’re banking too much on this. If he’s found innocent, then nothing will change. I don’t want to see you hurt, Grove; I know all too well what its like to see your dreams shatter around you.”

Grove put his hoof down and gave an ironic laugh, “Celestia’s arse, you sure know how to deflate a guy, Rush.” He smiled, “You’re right though, I don’t even know what he’s done.”

“You don’t?” Rush asked in surprise.

Grove shook his head, “Nope. Nopony does, or they’re not saying if they do, and to make things worse, half of his command’s been placed under house arrest pending investigation.”

“Tia never said anything about this.” Rush said quietly.

“Remember what I said, my friend.” Grove said, slipping a tip under his empty coffee cup, “You need to talk to her.”

The two of them paid and left the shop, heading off up the street to their next destination: the tailors. Rush’s mind was a haze of thoughts and emotions. He didn’t like Yule that was for damned certain, but to see him executed? In many ways Equestria seemed to be a very open and accepting land, similar in some ways to the human world - up to a point. Lords, ladies, aristocracy…Gods, he’d hoped he’d got away from all of that, but then Grove did have a point didn’t he? Rush was no noble, he was just a common labourer, a cutter of reeds and little more than the ‘mad hermit’ that lived in the hills. What the hell did he know about politics, law, and nobility? All he’d been interested in was being able to pay for enough food and clothing to survive - and his one luxury – tea. He sniffed; Maybe he had changed in ways others could see that he couldn’t. Generally he felt more, what was the word…relaxed? Yes, yes he supposed that was it. He definitely felt more at ease in Equestria than he had at first, and that was despite the hordes of things trying to murder him at every turn. Here, he had something that he’d never had in his isolation in the mountains: friends. For a moment he paused; Tia…he hadn’t been with her for very long back then, had he? She was the reason he came here of course; well…part of the reason anyway, but Equestria was his home, his real home after all. Sometimes it didn’t feel like it though, in fact at times it all felt like a dream, but then he would see his legs, his hooves, and a pair of purple eyes watching him…and he knew.

“Definitely the blue and white.”

Rush started, “Huh?”

“Are you in there?” Grove asked bopping Rush on the forehead, “I can see lights on, but is anyone at home?”

Rush clucked his tongue, “What are you…oh!” The brown stallion blinked, staring at himself in the full length mirror at the dapper creature staring back at him, “Oh!”

“You like?” Grove asked.

Rush turned from side to side, inspecting the dark blue fabric covering his chest and back, the slightly off white lace trim made all the smarter by the small round pewter buttons and deep cuffs. A set of knee length boots and black trousers covered his hind quarters with a broad black belt cinching it all around his belly. Rush couldn’t believe what he was seeing, and lifted his hoof to make sure it really was him. He didn’t know what to say and just nodded dumbly.

“And the chapeau?” The tailor asked.

“Sorry?” Rush said, turning to Grove. The orange pony rolled his eyes,

“It’s a hat.”

Rush turned back to the mirror as the three cornered hat was paced on his head. A single feather, the same colour as the fabric of his tunic, finished the ensemble and made him grin from ear to ear.

“You look most elegant, sir” the tailor said emphatically, “What does sir think?”

“I…er…” Rush shook his head, still incredulous at the sight before him. He wasn’t a vain creature, he never had been - in fact he’d probably be the first to say he was quite the opposite. Rush’s home had always been neat and trim of course – up to a point. He knew where everything was and that was pretty much as far at it went. To him, clothes had a defined purpose: they covered you, they kept you warm and protected you from snags, scratches and the like, but…but this! Gods, it looked…it looked… “It looks amazing…”

“I think he likes it” Grove laughed, “Send the bill to the palace, please sir. Here’s the chitty, signed by the Princess.”

“Oh my!” The tailor said in delight, “Why, thank you sirs! Please, give my fondest and most respectful regards to Her Majesty, won’t you?” He paused, “Goodness, and don’t forget the cloak too.” The eccentric fellow grinned, “That’s a little something extra from me.”

Grove nodded his thanks and turned back to his friend, “Come on, let’s get that off you and packed up.”

“Why?” Rush furrowed his brow, “I’ve only just got it!”

Grove smirked, “It’s clipping time.”

Unfortunately, the orange pony proved to be all too true to his word, and Rush’s bags and boxes were soon on their way back to the Princess’s chambers with the courier while he found himself facing a pair of scissor wielding unicorns.

The salon was pleasantly bright and airy, well lit by large windows and lanterns that made him feel, a little uncomfortably, like he was the centre of attention. The lilac unicorn sporting a white floppy hat and apron eyed him up and down before conversing with her colleague. The two turned to Grove who was sitting on a large bench seat under one of the windows reading the paper,

“What are we doing Grovey?” one of them asked.

The orange stallion shrugged, turning a page disinterestedly, “We’ll go for the works, eh, Cow Slip.”

The young mare nodded, “Sure!” She turned to Rush, “First things first, we need to get you washed and dried. That coat is a mess!”

“Wha…?” Rush began to protest, but quickly found himself being pushed and prodded from the room. His last view of freedom: the cheeky wink from a certain orange stallion before the rotten sod returned to his reading.

All in all however, it didn’t feel too bad. The wash was surprisingly comforting, the water temperature just right, and the girls seemed to know exactly what they were doing. Magical winds, warm and soothing, dried his fur and mane, causing him to groan involuntarily as it seeped into his skin. This felt…wonderful! But all too soon, the dreaded ‘clipping’ began. Rush froze rigid and closed his eyes. Even still, around him he could see the glow of magic as the silver scissors and shears whizzed back and forth – snip, snip, snip – Gods, one slip and…! Snip, snip, snip…

Grove raised an eyebrow, “Looking good, mate.”

Rush opened one eye a crack and muttered something, still not daring to move. He could feel them working on his tail and mane now, brushing out the knots, fussing and tutting to one another about the state of it.

“Don’t you use conditioner?” One of the asked.

“No.” Rush replied quietly.

“Well, you may want to give it a try, it’ll help with all these snags and knots in your tail” the mare replied, “A better brushing in the morning and evening will help too. Going to bed with an un-brushed tail is…is sacrilege!” The other mare murmured her agreement.

“Don’t worry, girls, I’ll let her nibs know” Grove called over to a chorus of giggling.

The snipping continued unabated. Rush took a breath, but some of the cut hairs landed on his nose and made him want to sneeze. He stood firm, desperately trying to hold it in, doing everything he could to…

A damp cloth suddenly wiped his muzzle, instantly removing the desire to let fly with both barrels. Instinctively he opened his eyes to see the smiling salon mare grinning at him,

“Do you want to keep the feathering?”

“The what?” Rush asked.

Grove groaned, putting down the paper while rolling his eyes dramatically, “The hairs on the back of your legs!”

Rush lifted a hoof, “What’s wrong with them?”

“It’s like, so last century, dude.” Grove held up his foreleg, “I’m telling you, smooth is in right now.”

The girls nodded, and without even waiting for a reply, the clipping began anew.

Rush shut his eyes again until he felt the unmistakable sensation of being brushed and curry combed; now this, was more like it! The itchy cut hairs were brushed away, his head and muzzle wiped down, and lavender scented oil combed through his tail and mane before the girls turned to trimming, buffing, and oiling his hooves. Soon, the newly groomed and trim stallion, Rush the Royal Consort, stood before an admiring audience.

“Damn, dude, you really do scrub up well” Grove exclaimed. The salon mares nodded. “I think this is some of your best work” the orange stallion said emphatically, “If anypony could make him look good, it was you two, and what a job!”

“I’m not sure if that was a compliment or not.” Rush muttered, “But I’ll take it.” He bowed to the two mares, “Thank you ladies for your hard work.”

The two tittered and showed the stallions to the door after taking a hoofful of bits from Grove,

“Same time next week for you, Grovey?”

The orange stallion nodded and blew them a kiss. Rush rolled his eyes,

“A girl in every port…” He paused, “Or shop.”

“What can I say?” Grove smirked, “You’ve either got it or you haven’t.” He gave Rush a wink, “And looking like that, you’ll get it alright.”

“I’ll…” Rush had a double take, “For the Gods’ sake!” Still, he couldn’t help but chuckle. Looking like this, all smart and trim, smelling like Tia’s favourite scent too, she would be all over him! Maybe… He nodded to himself and gave his mane a shake – tonight he would whisk her off her hooves and everything would be alright. It had to be.

***************************

The guards opened the doors to the throne room and the lantern lit hallway beyond. Gods, was it this late already? She was going to have to put a time limit on these meetings - they seemed to go on forever, regardless of how much progress they made. It was as if time in meetings and time in real world had no correlation whatsoever, and there were always that one pony, yak, griffin, llama, dragon or whatever species was next on the list, who simply loved the sound of their own voice. Llama’s, she’d found, where by far the worst for incessant talking. Yaks you couldn’t get a word out of, and as for dragons… She sighed; those creatures were so stubborn! To think they wanted a quota, a quota, of ponies they were ‘permitted’ to eat on an annual basis! She’d soon put a stop to that nonsense. If the carnivorous beasts wanted meat, there were plenty of wild goats, sheep and deer they could butcher for their bloody and vile eating habits. Celestia opened the door to her chambers and yawned; it was just day after day of this, wasn’t it? Treaty after treaty, negotiations, re-negotiations…

“Oh, that’s nice…”

“Do you like it? I had it done for-”

“Yes, Rush, it’s very nice. Don’t get any loose hairs in the bed - keep them on your side, yes?”

“Tia!”

“Goodnight.”

Those damned griffins though, they were such shrewd creatures when it came to money. They’d spent hours bickering and bartering over the smallest details, pulling out scroll after scroll of… Celestia yawned and stretched; the covers of the bed feeling unusually cool tonight. She opened one eye to see Rush walking towards the door. She sat up suddenly,

“Rush? Where are you going?”

“Out” he replied simply.

“’Out’?” Celestia blinked in surprise, “What do you mean, ‘out’?”

“I’m going to have a bath, so I don’t get any hairs in the bed” Rush said levelly, his blue eyes sparkling in the lamplight, “And then I’m going out to get absolutely hammered.” He lowered his voice, “Don’t wait up, will you?”

“RUSH!” Celestia clambered from the bed, “Come…”

The door slammed shut.

“Rush…”

Celestia sank to her haunches, her eyes locked on the door, her head muzzy with the beginnings of sleep and the whirlwind of facts and figures from the endless meetings that had gone on, and on, and… She paused. What was that in the corner of the room? Boxes? She walked over and opened one of them – it was an overcoat, a blue and white trimmed overcoat, and it was beautifully made too. The next box held a hat, the next a pair of trousers and a belt, and then…a smaller box, one with a small card tucked inside the ribbon,

“’Tia’” She whispered, reading it aloud.

Inside sat a small sprig of lavender worked in gold, silver and tiny purple gems. It was such a tiny thing, so delicate, and so fragile… and there, beneath it, a folded piece of paper - creased, smudged, but clearly legible,

For my beautiful Princess.

All my love,

Rush

X

It was his writing. He’d tried so hard to learn, pushed himself and strived so, so hard, and he’d done this…for her. Celestia, lifted the piece of paper and kissed it tenderly,

“Oh Rush…” She felt a stinging in the corner of her eyes and sniffed loudly. All of this, all this was her fault wasn’t it? She’d been so frightened of losing him, so terrified of anything happening to him, she’d kept him locked up like some caged bird. But all this work! Day after day, week after week, and poor Rush had become relegated to little more than background noise, overwhelmed by the juggernaut of duty that mercilessly pulled her this was and that. When Luna was here, it hadn’t been so bad, but now, it was just her. Couldn’t he understand that? Couldn’t he see that she had a kingdom to run and she didn’t have any time…any…time…

The Princess looked round to the end of the bed where Rush had been standing. He’d been trying to say something to her, he’d been showing her something…what…oh no…No! She neighed loudly, shaking her head; he’d been to the salon, he’d bought clothes, he’d bought her a present, he…he’d told her he loved her, and…and she just…she told him not to get any hairs in the bed! Oh Gods, what a bloody fool she was! No wonder he was upset, and now, now she was losing him. It was happening again! It kept happening! But what was she to do? She’d thought Rush would stay by her side and…

“Oh, I don’t know! I don’t know!” Celestia whinnied.

In a burst of purple magic, the Princess teleported into the corridor, making her guards jump back in alarm. In a trice though, she was off, bolting down the corridor, charging though the myriad passages of the palace, down to the one place, the one sanctuary that she could find peace - to the only one that truly understood her heart.

***************************

She couldn’t sleep. This bed - it felt like it was full of ants! What in Equestria was wrong with the stupid thing? Turning this way and that, the unicorn mare huffed and puffed until she finally pulled herself out of the covers and landed, rather angrily, on the rug. Fussing with her mane, she trotted over to the washbowl and poured out some water, eventually giving up on the washcloth and simply plunged her whole face into it.

Lilly gasped at the shock of cold, but at least she felt more equine again. She’d been like this for ages too; ever since that damned brown freak of nature had stolen her job. Well, he hadn’t ‘exactly’ stolen her job of course, but…but he may as well have! Blasted creature: horrible, monkey, alien…thing! Every day she saw him around the palace, and every day he’d tried to speak to her, but she was too quick to caught by that beast! And what would want to say to such a monster as him anyway? He’d usurped her position, stolen her friend, and now she’d been relegated to a…to a…a background pony! Lilly lifted up the brush in her magic and began running it through her mane, angrily pulling at the tangles. The other maids had loved every minute of this, hadn’t they? Oh yes, she’d seen them, giggling behind their hooves when she walked past, smirking and passing comments about how she’d ‘fallen from grace’ and nonsense like that. But then…they were right though, weren’t they? She had fallen, and fallen partly because she couldn’t keep her blasted mouth shut! Rush of course was the real problem though; he was the one who had cast some sort of spell on the Princess and caused all this. Worse still though, was that her temper lately had been horrendous! The stories about how she’d spoken to those dignitaries, the way she’d thrown poor Yule into the dungeons, the headaches, the fainting… It was all that damned brown pony’s fault! Lilly huffed and stormed out into the corridor outside her room and headed for the kitchen. A hot cup of milk mixed with a little coffee and sugar would be just the thing for calming her frayed nerves. This time of the morning it would be quiet too, and she’d be able to have some well earned peace - and that most blessed of things…silence.

Sure enough, the kitchen was empty. Lilly lifted the lid off the stew and sniffed it; excellent! It was still good. A bowlful of the still warm stew, a hot milk…sheer, indulgent, luxury. Yawning, she put the pan on the wood stove and coaxed the flames back to life. Next was the milk, just a whisker, and…she froze in mid-pour. What was that? Rats? Goddesses she hated rats! But…no, there it was again. Not a squeak or a scratch, this sounded like…sniffing? She swivelled her ears, straining to hear – it was coming from beyond the door to the pantry. Slowly, carefully, Lilly moved closer. The door was slightly ajar, allowing her to see the flickering light of a solitary candle and somepony, or something, sitting at the small table within.

Lilly’s heart was thundering in her chest as she wondered whether to call for a guard or just push her way in and confront the occupant. Suddenly, the sound of a hopeless sob drifted out. She recognised that sound all too well: the sobbing, muttering voice - surely…?

She carefully pushed open the door.

In the lamplight, the creature looked like a monster from another world – a terrifying visage in white and brown, gorging itself on the broken and bloodied remains of its latest victim. The snorting, snuffling and whimpering creature, tears pouring down its face as it consumed its prey, never even looked up at the maid’s entrance. Lilly hung her head and sighed; she’d seen this before, and it had broken her heart then. Now, she only felt pity for the poor creature. Taking down one of the travel cloaks from the hook by the back door to the kitchen, Lilly gently draped it over the Princess’s back.

A chocolate smothered muzzle emerged from the depths of the gateaux, accompanying a pair of bloodshot purple eyes full of tears and pain that stared helplessly at the orange unicorn. Celestia sniffed back another tear,

“L…Lilly?”

“Shhh, it’s alright” Lilly soothed, stroking the alicorn’s back, “I’m here.”

“Lilly!” Celestia gasped, “Oh, Lilly! Lilly, I don’t…I don’t know…I…”

“Shhh. Be calm, now. You’ve been working too hard, Your Majesty, far too hard.” Lilly gave the Princess a nuzzle and fetched a cloth and soap, “Come on, lets get you cleaned off, you’ve got chocolate cake all over you.”

“I don’t care!” Celestia burbled, “Nopony understand me, nopony cares about my problems or who I am inside. All they see is some magical mare who can wave a hoof and fix everything in the world.” She threw back her head and let out a sob, “I may as well eat myself to death! Why not?! Would anypony care? Not for me they wouldn’t! Not for the alicorn! All they’re bothered about is having somepony to tie their damned laces for them or know how much tax to put on bloody carpets! Who the hell cares about damned bucking carpet taxes!”

Lilly took Celestia’s unresisting muzzle in her hooves and smiled gently, wiping the chocolate from her muzzle and moved the cherry that had somehow got itself stuck behind her ear. Goddesses, she was covered in it! Still, at least it was just the one cake this time. Last time, the whole larder had been annihilated. Lilly worked away, wiping and sponging off the last of the sticky, chocolaty residue until the Princess looked more like herself once again. She would need a bath of course, but that could be arranged soon enough. All she needed to do now was-

“Lilly?” Celestia sniffed the air, “Is something burning?”

“Oh bloody hell, the milk!” The orange mare jumped away and rushed into the kitchen, snatching the pan off the stove in her magic. “Sod it! There goes my hot milk plans…”

Celestia walked up and gave her a nudge, “Never mind, let’s clean up and make another. Now you’ve mentioned it, I think I’d quite like one too.” She raised an eyebrow over a cheeky smile, “Milk goes well with chocolate.”

The two of them fetched cloths and soon had the pan cleaned, the stove top tidied up, and another batch of milk heating gently. Celestia watched her maid pour the hot milk into each cup, careful to make sure they were both level and well stirred. Lifting hers up in her magic, the Princess blew across it to cool it down before taking a sip. Smiling, she sighed, leaning back into the wooden chair,

“Sweet, warm and delicious…” She shook her head, “Just what the doctor ordered.” Celestia put her cup down and stared into the steam rising gently from it, “Lilly, how have you been?”

“Oh, fine, fine” the maid said quietly, “Just pottering on. Nanny has me covering the guest wing, and some of the mess I’ve had to clean up from those yaks!” She shuddered, “With the amount of hair that comes off them I’m surprised they’re not walking around completely bald.”

Celestia laughed, covering her muzzle with a foreleg, “Ah, Lilly, I’ve missed you.”

Lilly smiled, “Yeah…”

“You can come back if you want, you know” the Princess said with a gentle smile. She looked up at her old friend, “I know how you feel about Rush, but…”

Lilly shook her head, “I’m sorry.” She glanced down at the table, “I’d like to, but…I just can’t.”

Celestia placed her hoof on her maid’s, “But why, Lilly? Please, tell me. Is it because he’s my…you know…”

Lilly closed her eyes and let out the breath she’d been holding in. Celestia, her Princess; she was so pure, so unsullied, and to think of that thing, that…that monster, touching her! She took a breath,

“I…”

The door opened, “Hello? Is somepony in here?” The bulky form of the chief cook appeared, holding a lantern, “Lilly? What are you…?” She gasped, “Your Majesty!”

Lilly closed her eyes and said a silent prayer to the Goddesses. To tell her Princess, to explain to her what she truly felt inside would likely destroy their friendship. Like Rush had tried to do. She took a deep breath and climbed down from her chair before bowing respectfully to the white alicorn,

“Your Majesty, would you please excuse me? I’m very tired and I have an early start in the morning.”

Celestia looked a little stunned at first but nodded her ascent, “Of course, Lilly. Good night.”

Lilly bowed and walked out of the kitchen. At the junction in the corridor, she automatically took the one to her room, then paused. This wasn’t right; Celestia was in pain, that was all too clear, and here she was just walking away from it. Lilly closed her eyes and took a deep cleansing breath, clearing her mind. She hadn’t served Celestia all these years without learning to pick up on her various moods and feelings regardless of how much she tried to hide them. To Lilly, she was like an open book, and one that was as precious as a new born foal, both to Equestria, and to her. Lilly’s family had served the royal family for generations - further back than even the war of three tribes. She would be damned if she saw everything in her world, in their homeland, fall apart because of one damned stallion. She shook her mane and turned towards the opposite corridor. She’d waited too long already; there was work to do.

***************************

Rush gazed out over the battlements to the valley and lands far below. Whoever had designed the palace certainly had an eye for the dramatic. Waterfalls cascaded over the edge of the artificially diverted water courses, disappearing into the distant river and creating rainbows in the spray and sunshine. Buildings constructed of polished white marble and brightly ornamented in silver and gold, surrounded the palace and marked the homes and businesses of the elite of Equestria. The gaudily dressed nobles reminded Rush of birds pecking at the crumbs that fell from the table above - which in this case, was the home of Celestia herself. Further along, past the wide winding steps, were the lush fields and more modest homes and business of the people of Paddock, the town built by Celestia to house those dispossessed by the war. Rush marvelled at the contrast, but wondered how long it would be until Paddock succumbed to the will and power of the moneyed classes to simply became another suburb of Canterlot. Sooner or later the proximity would become a problem; the commoners would be ‘moved on’ and their homes cleared to make space for more of the nobles’ families - unless, naturally, the serfs were graciously permitted to serve their masters - for an even smaller share of the crumbs.



Rush shook his head sadly. He was getting old…or rather, ‘older’. His mind was a battlefield of the youthful impulses of his body and the kind of bitterness and disassociation that comes with years of solitude and experiencing life for what it truly was. Gods above, he hated himself sometimes…and he hated the world…life…everything! Nothing seemed to work, everypony was bone bloody idle, and you were far better doing something yourself because, let’s face it, if you wanted it doing properly and on time, that was the only way to do it, wasn’t it?

“You know, you really could do with turning that frown upside down.” The mare gave him a nudge, “Come on, let’s see it.”

Rush sipped his cup of tea and shook his head, “I can’t Queenie.” He watched the water pouring over the rocks and disappearing into the emptiness of the distant valley. It all just seemed so far, far, away, somehow. He shook his head, “Sometimes…sometimes I just feel so tired: tired of…everything.”

“Rush, come on now. I know you’re hurting inside, but you can talk to me” The mare leaned her cream coated legs across the crenulations beside him and smiled, “It’s such a beautiful morning. Don’t let dark thoughts dull the beauty of the sunrise in your heart.”

Rush snorted loudly, “Did you read that somewhere?”

“Nope.” The mare reached up and gave her ear a scratch before yawning, “It’s a Queenie-ism”. Queen’s Court raised an eyebrow and gave Rush a cheeky wink.

“How are you settling in, anyway?” Rush asked.

Queenie shrugged, “Pretty well, I guess. The royal transport corps took me in thanks to my ‘glowing’ references and, believe it or not, I’m now in charge of distributions. Best of all, I’ve been getting involved with the Llama’s lately, and they’ve got some of the most beautiful cloth I’ve ever seen!” She smiled wistfully, “I just love the clothes they wear, you know? So flowing, and…I don’t know, what’s the word?”

“Ethereal?” Rush offered.

“Ha! Maybe” Queenie sighed, “I’d love to look like that, Rush…flowing.”

Rush laughed aloud, “I think we’ve both done enough ‘flowing’ to last a lifetime!”

“Oh, belt up, you know what I mean!” The white mare leaned over, refilling her friend’s cup of tea from her flask, “I didn’t expect to see you up here though, especially at this time of the morning.”

Rush shrugged, “Yeah.”

“You’ve had another row, haven’t you?” Queenie asked knowingly.

How she always seemed to know what he was thinking was probably some insightful mare thing that Rush, as one of the ‘dim witted stallions’ as Queenie had so politely put it, was ‘too stupid’ to understand. Still, he could put up with her peculiarities, especially as she was a friend. He blinked and smiled quietly to himself; yes, she was a friend, and as strange as it felt to the ‘old’ him, he had a certain fondness for the cream mare that warmed his heart. Thank the Gods Tia had been able to pull strings to help Queenie find work or who knows what would have happened. He grinned; she’d probably have just gone back to logging – she was certainly no wilting flower, this one.

“Hey!” she gave him a shove, “Don’t just sit there with a vacant look on your face, I asked a question.”

Rush groaned and looked up at her from under his brows, nodding slowly, “Aye. We did.”

“I bloody knew it!” Queenie clucked her tongue, “I’ll bet you haven’t spoken to her either, and you just nod your head and its all ‘yes Tia’, ‘no Tia’, ‘three bloody bags full, Tia’.”

“Oh, come on, it’s not that bad!” Rush protested, his face darkening as realisation hit him.

“You think?” Queenie huffed, “You’ve changed, Rush. This…” she held up her forelegs, “whatever ‘this’ is, is damaging you. You look like, I don’t know, like the life’s being sucked out of you. Goddesses almighty, if I didn’t know better, I’d be watching the sky for wendigo. I mean, did you see the weather last night? That thunderstorm came out of bloody nowhere! I nearly wet myself!”

Rush laughed, nearly spilling his tea before meeting the mare’s orange eyed smile. He leaned back against the cool stone of the battlements and stared up at a pure white cloud high above,

“Do you ever wonder how Fathom and the others are doing?”

Queenie sniffed, “No, I bloody don’t!” She neighed, “And don’t look at me like that, either! It’s not that I’m not grateful to her for saving my leg, but I can’t help but think they only did it to get to you.”

“Rubbish…”

“Is it?” Queenie asked, “I’m not so sure. Wendigo don’t change their spots.”

“They didn’t have spots” Rush replied tartly.

“I meant metaphorically!” the cream mare grumbled, giving her friend a playful shove, “Anyway, they’re lucky her ladyship didn’t poof them into powder with that crazy magic of her.”

An ant wandering past caught Rush’s attention. It was so small, so insignificant, and yet completely ignored the giant creatures above it as though they were no more than insignificant background noise. Perhaps in some strange way, that was how the Gods saw mortals: like insignificant things that just happened to be there. You knew they existed, but until they started attacking your picnic, you ignored them. He watched the ant disappear down a crack in the stonework and wondered about the white alicorn – in some way, she was a God, to these ponies anyway, and perhaps in a different sense – to him.

“Queenie, what happened to end the war?” Rush asked said quietly, “I...” he paused, suddenly remembering the skeletal creature with the glowing red eyes: Thorn. He had helped them both during that nightmarish battle in his village, risking his life to save two strangers from that beast, Rend, despite being sent to capture and bring back Celestia at the command of his Goddess. He had saved them, saved them both, and it was no small thanks to him that Rush had eventually been able to be reunited with his beloved Princess and yet…he’d never…

“It ended, Rush” Queenie replied, putting the lid back on her flask and making him jump, “That’s all you need to know.” She looked up at him, “War…changes ponies.” She sighed, “You won’t find many who’ll talk about it; I’ll tell you that now. What we saw, what we experienced, was something we want to forget. Well, not exactly ‘forget’, but…”

Rush placed a hoof on her shoulder, “I know.” He looked away a moment, “Did you know of anypony called Thorn, by the way? Or…hear of somepony by that name?”

Queenie shook her head, “No, I can’t say I did.” She gave his hoof a squeeze, “I didn’t make a habit of getting to know ponies that well, Rush. They didn’t tend to be around that long, if you know what I mean.”

Nodding, Rush rose to his hooves and dusted himself down, “I’d better get back” he said deflatedly, “I’ll probably be in for another dressing down.”

“Rush…” Queenie jumped up and grabbed him suddenly in a tight embrace, “Don’t lose who you are inside.” She hugged him tighter, “Don’t forget who you are.”

“Who am I, Queenie?” Rush said quietly, “Really, who am I?”

“Who?” The mare smiled, her eyes glinting in the sunlight, “Why, you’re my friend.” She gave him a peck on the muzzle, “Go on, get yourself in and remember to stand your ground!”

“Aye, aye, Cap’n!” Rush snapped off a cheeky salute and trotted off back down the steps, narrowly avoiding a playful swipe from the frisky mare.

The corridors and passages of the palace were the usual maze of twists and turns that Rush had thought he’d become used to over the last few weeks. Unfortunately with his mind elsewhere he’d taken a wrong turn, the familiar tapestry bedecked hall to the Princess’s chambers now replaced with a smaller, plainer one, ending in a dark wooden door with strange writing embossed into its surface. As much of a beginner in the world of reading and writing as Rush was, the words on the door weren’t equestrian that was for sure. He stared at it a moment before shrugging and turned to walk away.

The door opened.

“Feather Soft, is that you, girl? About bloody time!” A grey muzzle appeared, half covered by a ludicrously large hat covered in gaudy embroidery and bells of all things, “What does it take to get a cup of blasted tea around here, and…” he blinked, “Oh…it’s you.”

Rush looked over his shoulder, “Sorry to disappoint.” He began walking away.

“Erm…Wait!” The grey pony called, “Fish! Er, Wish! Fast! Whatever your name is…I say! Come back here, young stallion!”

Groaning, Rush turned back to face the flustered court wizard who was busily engaged in adjusting an equally peculiar cloak,

“Yes?”

Starswirl, sporting a long white beard beneath a piercing yellow gaze, reminded Rush of the ponies in the forest. In fact, how in equestria were you supposed to know one of the wendigo tribe from any other regular pony? Come to think of it, what was a wendigo anyway? Grove’s description of them made them sound like monsters from the depths of your worst nightmare, and yet what he’d seen were, well…unicorns like this one.

Starswirl waved to a maid approaching them and called loudly past Rush’s ear,

“Oh, Feather Soft! Perfect timing, dear, that’ll be two teas now if you’d be so kind.”

The maid muttered something Rush couldn’t quiet make out before walking back the way she’d come.

“Nice girl. Makes good tea, you know. Not so good on the scone front, but I’m working on that.” The grey pony headed back into his room, clearly expecting Rush to follow, “Take seat old boy. I want a word with you.”

Rush sighed inwardly. He owed Starswirl more than he could ever repay – even his life, truth be told, but the bizarre stallion was so bloody irritating that he’d tried to avoid having much to do with him. Starswirl the bearded, court wizard, royal mage, or whatever else he called himself, was, in Rush’s opinion, that special sort of fellow whose incredible mind was balanced on a knife edge between insanity and genius. Of course, Rush himself was a little biased, especially as Starswirl had poked and prodded him on an almost daily basis since he’d arrived and treated him like some lab experiment. In fairness to the fellow though, he hadn’t seen all that much of him since he’d returned to the palace after his unplanned trip downriver, and had even begun to think that the eccentric wizard had left - until now.

Starswirl’s laboratory was a mass of colourful bottles, tubes, pipes, strange brass and copper ‘things’ and a round ball that kept floating up into the air every few seconds and making a peculiar ‘whizzing’ noise. Rush had always been fascinated by the glass ball and the colourful smoke that billowed within, giving the impression of rapid movement and yet absolute stillness in one eye watering-

Starswirl threw a sheet over the ball and advanced on Rush,

“So, my boy, are you feeling better now? I believe you took quite the tumble.”

“I was washed downriver and nearly drowned” Rush replied, perhaps a little more abruptly than he meant to. He shrugged, “Still, I’m here, alive and well.”

“Indeed, indeed.” Starswirl muttered. He walked over to a long brass pipe running down the wall by the window and lifted a small flap at its base. Inside was a glass phial that the grey stallion levitated out in his magic and brought over to the table where Rush was sitting,

“Tell me,” Starswirl asked, “how have you been…um…”

“Rush”, Rush interjected, helpfully, “And I’ve been fine, thanks for asking.”

“Oh, yes, Rush…” Starswirl cleared his throat, “And, er…the Princess? Any more headaches? Fainting?”

“I…” Rush paused, “Starswirl, forgive me, but wouldn’t you be better asking her that yourself?”

Starswirl sighed loudly, “Yes…yes, I suppose.” He leaned a foreleg on the table, “But you know how busy she’s been lately, especially with all those foreign types hanging around the palace.”

Rush nodded. He knew all about that alright – except the ‘foreign types’ part. Starswirl’s world view had always struck him as a little different from most, but then Starswirl himself was ‘a little different from most’. Still, considering the world Rush came from, the lack of knowledge of what lay beyond your village and the general distrust of foreign peoples was widespread, and with good reason: they tended to be armed and tried to kill your people and take your home away. Rush gave himself a shake; Starswirl might well be odd, but he was harmless…mostly. The grey stallion fidgeted with his hat making the bells tinkle mysteriously,

“Let me ask you another question: Have you noticed anything unusual about her behaviour lately? Anything that might be, say, troubling her?”

Rush furrowed his brow in thought. In reality, he hadn’t seen much of her at all! He’d barely been in Equestria five minutes before being nearly drowned, eaten and then…whatever Madra had in mind for him. When he’d returned to the palace after his unplanned adventure, Celestia soon become little more than a face he saw vanishing in the morning and re-appearing, exhausted, in the evening. They’d barely seen each other, let alone spoken to one another. Rush shook his head sadly; he didn’t want to talk about this, and he sure as hell didn’t want to talk about Tia to Starswirl either.

“No” he said quietly, “But as you said, she’s been so busy I haven’t seen much of her.”

The wizard nodded slowly, “That’s what I was afraid of.” He lifted the phial of liquid in his magic and floated it towards Rush, “Do you know what this is?”

Rush shook his head.

“It’s a sample of the rain we had last night” He smiled grimly, making Rush swallow involuntarily, “You know probably better than anypony what can happen when magically infused weather runs amok. Combined with the raw power of nature, magical storms can become a thing that is, for want of a better word, ‘sentient’ - that is, they can take on a life of their own.”

“The storm that broke the dam was alive?” Rush asked incredulously.

“Not in the traditional sense of the word.” Starswirl explained, “There was certainly magic in that storm, and not just any old magic either…” he shook the phial, his eyes glinting, “Alicorn magic.”

“Alicorn?” Rush blinked, “Ti- I mean, Celestia?”

Starswirl nodded, “Last night, the storm outside appeared suddenly and disappeared just as quickly. It was fortunate I’d set up monitoring stations around the palace for exactly this sort of phenomenon.” He nodded to himself sagely, “I’d hoped to have an answer to this some time ago, but the solution is proving to be surprisingly elusive.”

“Hang on.” Rush lifted a hoof, “Are you saying that Celestia is the source of these storms? That she…that the storm that broke the dam…that…”

Starswirl shrugged, “I don’t believe she can control it, nor is she even aware that she is source of it for that matter.” The wizard placed the phial of liquid into a rack of other samples, “To my shame I don’t know much about alicorns, but then that’s not really all that surprising: little has ever been written about them in the first place.” He lifted a hoof, “Ah, tea! Excellent.”

The tea was, too. Rush and Starswirl both groaned happily at the hot, sweet liquid that accompanied the equally sweet pastries. Not usually one for sugar, this particular blend seemed to almost demand it - and it was worth the price. Rush could feel the tension and apprehension melting away as the warmth spread through him. Starswirl waited until the maid left before continuing,

“Did anything happen last night, Rush?” he asked, “Did anything upset Celestia or trouble her in some way? If only I could find some sort of correlation then I would have something to go on, but right now all I have is speculation and…”

Starswirl kept talking while Rush’s mind went into overdrive. There was something, wasn’t there? It had been there all along - the cause of all her troubles, all her woes…

“It’s me.”

“…and I” Starswirl paused mid-flow, “I’m sorry?”

“It’s me.” Rush closed his eyes, “I’m the cause. The storm that destroyed the dam was around the time I ran off and got myself lost. The second time was last night when we, when I…I walked out after we had a row.”

Starswirl stared at him a moment before turning back to the phial. “Rush” he said quietly, “I want you to say something to this sample in the tube.”

“Huh?” Rush’s eyes went wide in surprise, “You want me to talk to some water?!”

“It’s not just any water.” Starswirl said, turning the phial so that the liquid within caught the scant sunlight as it passed through the window, “It’s water that contains, to some degree, the magic of alicorns - the magic of Celestia.”

“Tia…” Rush’s heart leaped, and he let out a shuddering breath, barely keeping a grip on his suddenly flaring emotions. And then, just as the first tear squeezed its way from the corner of his eye, the water shimmered and changed. Before their very eyes, the water transformed to a light blue, emitting an inner light like a tiny particle of the sun itself.

“Let’s try something else” Starswirl said with a look of complete fascination across his face, “Get angry with it.”

“I…I can’t” Rush said quietly, “I…”

“For the Goddesses sake, Rush, haven’t you ever been angry with her?” The wizard asked irritably, “Are you telling me that Celestia has never done anything that’s upset you or hurt you? Even unintentionally?”

“Of course she has!” Rush protested, “But it’s just me being over-reactive. I want to see more of her, and I want to speak to her. I haven’t been here long and I don’t know much about Equestria at all. I know next to nothing about the customs, the people, and I can barely even read, let alone write. Sometimes I feel as though I’m drowning in it all, like when I was being thrown around in the river: alone and helpless, swept along by some monstrous tide that I am powerless to control.” He gritted his teeth and stared at the phial, “I thought Tia would be with me, to help me and guide me, but she never has the time. I know she’s busy, I understand she’s royalty, but…but I need her too! I try to talk to her but she’s always too tired to listen. When I try to touch her, to hold her, she pulls away from me like I’m diseased, and yesterday I spent hours having my coat done, bought new clothes and…” he swallowed, “She didn’t even notice…” Rush laughed ironically, “She didn’t notice.” Rush blinked away a stray tear, “I’m losing her, Starswirl. Day by day, little by little…I don’t…I don’t think she loves me any more.”

“My Goddess…” Starswirl breathed, staring at the phial, “Rush, look…look!”

The liquid had turned from blue to black, an almost ink like quality to it that swirled and bubbled like a living thing trying to escape the confines of its glass prison. Starswirl’s magic sparked and flowed around it while the liquid within its core writhed and hissed.

Rush wiped his muzzle with a foreleg as he focussed on the liquid, “Is…is it meant to…?”

Starswirl licked his lips, “I don’t know.” He quickly began setting up equipment around the table, “Let’s see!”

Suddenly, Starswirl popped off the cork and the blackness inside the phial slowly began to ooze up the side of the glass tube and then, with a cry of unimaginable intensity, burst out into the centre of the room. The lights went out and the daylight was literally sucked into the rapidly expanding vortex. Rush cried out in alarm as the howling, shrieking storm quickly began to rage and howl, throwing the wizard’s already cluttered room into a maelstrom of books, apparatus and everything else that wasn’t nailed down. Rush ducked under the desk, quickly followed by Starswirl,

“What the hell is that?!” Rush yelled, “Can’t you do something?”

“No!” Starswirl replied, holding onto his hat, “I told you this was alicorn magic! But it’s focussed on you, Rush, you are the one who it’s imprinted upon.”

“Imprinted upon?” Rush shouted, “What the hell does that mean?”

Starswirl ducked a low flying cup, “Just go and talk to it!”

Rush lunged forward and pulled the wizard to him until they were muzzle to muzzle, “You….You LUNATIC! You let that thing out and now it’s going berserk and you think I can just walk out there and be nice to it? You’re insane!”

“You don’t understand, do you?” Starswirl shouted in reply over the howling wind, “This is Celestia, or a part of her essence at any rate. Like it or not, you are connected to her on a level nopony else is. It will listen to you, Rush; or at least, I think it will!”

“That not very reassuring!” Rush bellowed. He looked into the yellow eyes of the wizard and face-hoofed, “I can’t believe I’m doing this…” He gritted his teeth, “If I get out of this alive, Starswirl, I’ve a good mind to kick you right in the…ARRRGH!”

“RUSH!”

Starswirl’s shout of alarm vanished into the roaring howl of the wind as Rush was picked up and dragged into the swirling mass. Something heavy slammed into Rush’s head making his vision blur while another thumped him in his ribs, then another, and another. Everything was spinning: the room, the objects, him, and…something…something in the centre of the dark swirling mass – a pair of glowing golden eyes. Rush stared at them, while around him the screaming wind tore at his coat and mane, shaking him for all it was worth. Inexorably, horribly, he was drawn towards the glowing orbs.

WE KNOW YOU

The voice, faint, yet full of barely concealed power, burned through Rush’s mind, bypassing his ears and searing his brain.

WE KNOW YOU.

“Tia?” Rush gasped. He winced as a ceramic urn caught his forehead, “Tia, is that you?”

The voice dropped to a menacing whisper,

YOU DO NOT KNOW US.

“No” Rush whispered, his voice completely lost in the storm, and yet as loud as the shout of a thousand mouths, “No, Tia, I don’t know you. But I want to.” He closed his eyes, fighting back the surge of emotion that made his throat choke up. Rush shook his head, forcing his eyes to open once more. He wouldn’t run…he wouldn’t run any more! “I WANT TO KNOW YOU!” he bellowed.

The voice replied, taking on a note of emptiness and of hopeless loss,

YOU DO NOT KNOW US.

YOU CANNOT KNOW US.

“I want to be with you, Tia” Rush cried out in distress, “I crossed worlds to be with you. I left my home behind, I left everything behind - to be with you.” Tears rolled down Rush’s cheeks as he poured out his heart to this creature, this fragment of his beloved Princess, “I love you Tia. More than anything in either world, in any world, I would lay my life at your feet just to see your smile” he hung his head, “Don’t shut me out of your heart.” Rush shuddered, “Please…”

The wind cried out in unimaginable torment, shaking the windows and rattling the shelves. Somewhere behind him, something was happening, something he couldn’t quite… It was Tia…she was here! She was standing in the doorway, staring up at him hanging in the air, she was saying something and then the wind seemed to shiver somehow, pouring into the white alicorn like water from a jug into a washbowl. Rush felt the world lurch, his vision becoming unfocussed as the magical wind winked out, his mind reeling from the sensory overload. There was so much fear, so much pain, and yet…so much love… He couldn’t take it all in. It was all so much! So, so much!

“Rush?” The white alicorn stood over him, her purple eyes wet with tears, “Rush, are you alright?”

The brown stallion stared back at his beautiful alicorn, his beloved mare whom he had loved since the first moment he’d met her. He smiled, reaching out to touch her,

“Tia…”

“Starswirl, get him to my chambers, now.” Celestia’s voice sounded strained, “We will speak of this again.”

***************************

Seagulls cried overhead, their plaintive calls drifting through the stained glass window of the bedchamber. Rush stirred, his ears twitching as he stretched his legs. By the Gods he felt utterly exhausted. He let out a groan and smacked his lips; they were as dry as parchment and his throat so sore all he wanted was a…

“Drink?”

The golden alicorn passed him a glass of water in the purple glow of her magic, “You look as though you need it.”

Ice blue eyes looked Rush up and down, while her smile, so full of love and kindness, made him feel as though he could happily melt away into a sea of utter tranquillity…

“That’s enough of that now!” the alicorn said. Her voice held a slight hint of admonishment along with the humour. She reached forward and lifted Rush’s head, “Come…drink, child of Equestria.”

Water: such a simple thing, but so essential for life, for all life – and Rush took it all, every last drop. The alicorn smiled gently and passed him another glass, letting him take in as much as he could hold until finally, gasping, Rush had had his fill. He looked up into the large ice blue eyes when realisation struck him,

“I’ve seen you before.”

The alicorn smiled, “We have met, child of Equestria.” She walked over to the book shelf and took down the small, carved wooden box, “Several times in fact.”

Rush looked about himself at the room. It was Celestia’s chambers, certainly, but had a strange almost transparent feel to it, as though it wasn’t quite ‘real’ somehow. The Goddess smiled,

“Do you feel better now?”

Rush nodded, “I do, Your Majesty, but…where I am? What is this place?”

“You are in my daughters chambers, Rush, don’t you remember?” the golden alicorn waved a hoof, “You had an encounter with something that you shouldn’t have.” She reached out and gently lifted his chin, “You very nearly passed to the herd.” She paused, “A shame in some ways, I should have liked to have seen what your soul looked like.” The golden alicorn raised a perfectly manicured eyebrow, “No matter, time means little to us. One day, you shall see that for yourself.”

“I…I don’t understand.” Rush tried to sit up but was gently pushed back down,

“I’m not surprised” the Goddess replied, “Celestia is no mortal pony, nor are you an alicorn. It is little wonder that, as you say, ‘misunderstandings’ can occur.” She sighed, “Considering you come from another world, in a manner of speaking, you have a rather ‘unique’ perspective on life here that differs from every other soul in Equestria.”

Rush stared into the almost transparent covers on the bed. He didn’t know what to say; what could he say? Memories began to drift back to him, like wisps of cloud, like the winds of…

“That wind!” He exclaimed suddenly, “The eyes, it was…it was Tia, but it wasn’t, I…”

The Queen smiled, raising a hoof before speaking, “Yes. It was my daughter, and yet it was not. What you saw, what you encountered, was something that was not meant to be in this world.”

“Not meant to be? But it’s magic – Tia’s magic, isn’t it?” Rush asked.

“Of a sort” the Queen replied, “Dear Starswirl was correct in a way, although it is the source of the magic that is causing the disturbances, and it is that which he does not fully understand.”

Rush shook his mane and took a breath, “This is my fault, isn’t it. My coming here, my existence in Equestria is causing this magic to exist. I’m causing Tia pain and her magic is reacting and affecting the weather.” He squeezed his eyes shut, trying not to think, trying not to let the reality of the awful truth seep into his heart. Perhaps…perhaps the Queen should have let him pass over…

A hoof bopped him on the muzzle, “No, I shouldn’t.” She shook her head, giving him a gentle yet firm gaze, “You are the catalyst, but not the source of the magic, Rush. That, is something you will need to discover for yourself.”

“Discover for myself?” Rush blinked in surprise, “How? Tia won’t speak to me, let alone confide in me. I want to help her, the Gods know I do, but if she won’t listen, then…”

The Queen’s eyes glinted in the odd silver light, her voice becoming stern and commanding,

“Then make her.”

Rush opened his mouth to speak and thought better of it. He’d tried to talk to Celetstia, he’d tried appealing to her, and yet she treated him like a precious piece of glass - like an ornament. The Queen moved closer, her muzzle was now mere inches from his,

“Listen to me Rush” she said levelly, “Celestia loves you. I know it may seem strange at times, but she has little experience when it comes to dealing with emotions, and even less with stallions. You…” the alicorn prodded him gently in the chest, “are the only one who has ever touched her” She lifted her hoof, “here, in her heart.” The Queen closed her eyes and looked away for a moment before turning back to him, “Rush, you must make her listen to you, do you understand me? She is used to taking control, to being the one who leads; you have to stop being submissive to her and make her see you for who you are.” She stepped back, flicking her mane and sending the tiny stars and constellations flying through the void,

“You must show her you are a stallion, Rush.”

“And just how am I supposed to do that?” Rush snapped, “Just grab her and whisk her off into the sunset? And even if I did that, what then? I know bugger all about magic, and you may have noticed a distinct lack of horn!”

A flash of anger drifted across the Queen’s face before melting into her more usual soft smile, “You remind me of my husband.”

Rush sputtered, “I…What?!”

“The solution, Rush, is within you, not inside some wizard’s book. You must look inside your heart, as she must look inside hers. Together, the two of you will find the way.” The golden alicorn leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the forehead, “Now, it is time for you to go home.”

“Home…” Rush blinked, groaning at the soft warmth of the Goddess’s kiss. If somepony had told him growing up that someday he would be kissed by a Princess and then by a Goddess, he would have thought them mad. He chuckled to himself; maybe he was mad, and all this, this world and the ponies, were little more than a product of his insane mind.

Yellow eyes peered down into his, “Back in the land of the living then.”

“Starswirl!” Rush jumped up, thumping his head off the bed post, “You…! You absolute arse! You nearly bloody well killed me!”

“You know, I’ve never quite understood that line of reasoning” the grey stallion replied, making a note in his book, “You’re either dead, or alive, not ‘almost’.” He paused, “Unless you’re talking about ‘un-dead’ in which case they’re still actually dead, just-”

“Oh, belt up!” Rush rubbed his forehead angrily as he climbed off the bed, “What’s going on? Where’s Tia?”

“Tia?” Starswirl furrowed his brow, “Oh, you mean Celestia? She’s in the throne room I suspect. I saw another group of fancily dressed griffins walking in there earlier and…Hey! Careful!”

The grey stallion caught himself as Rush shoved past, breaking into a run that took him out through the open chamber door and along the familiar corridor outside. It was bright daylight outside, the sun high in the sky and only a few white fluffy clouds hanging lazily in the perfect azure blue expanse. Skylarks and bluebirds sang and frolicked on the windowsills beyond the stained glass windows.

Rush ignored it all.

Hurtling down the stairs past the usual pantheon of colourful nobles and polished armour wearing guards, the brown earth stallion rounded the corner into the grand hall and raced up to the large imposing doors which lead into the throne room. They were closing, but if he was quick he could slip through and…

Rush slammed to a halt as two lethally sharp spears clanged together mere inches from his nose, barring his entrance. One of the guards eyed him up and down before addressing him as if he was reading a prepared speech,

“The Princess is in a meeting and has given orders not to be disturbed.”

Rush snorted angrily, “I don’t give toss about that! Now open the damned door!”

“No.” The guard glowered at him and shifted the grip on his spear. Beside him, the other guard leaned over conspiratorially, “Ere, Mail, that’s that fella, you know, the one who’s ‘er nibs’ thing-a-me-jig.”

The first guard, without taking his eyes off the heavily panting brown pony before him, leaned in, “What, this is ‘im?”

“Aye!” the second said, “Grove’s mate, you know. ‘E’s the guy who took on Yule an’ gave ‘im a good thumpin’ that time.”

“Not what I ‘eard” the first guard replied gruffly.

“Well, whatever,” the second guard said with a sniff, “but ‘e’s a mate o’ Grove’s an’ that’s good enough for me, is what I say.” He closed his eyes and nodded emphatically.

The first guard snorted, “Well regardless of that, ‘e’s not comin’ in an’ that’s…” he looked up suddenly, “what the? ‘E’s buggered off!”

Rush pushed open the side door to the throne room’s discussion chamber. This was the one Tia had told him about, the one where the more ‘private’ discussions were held out of earshot of other ponies, and where the Chancellor would usually write up her notes after an audience had been concluded. It was, as he expected, occupied.

The guard within levelled his spear and glowered dangerously at the intrusion,

“Who are you?” he snapped, “What are you doing in here?”

Rush took a breath, trying to ignore the lethal spear point levelled at his chest, “I am the Royal Consort, Rush” he replied feeling suddenly incredibly self conscious. Gods, he hated titles!

“Well, you can’t go in,” the guard replied, “the Princess has given orders.”

Rush walked forward, “I don’t care. This is important, I have to see her.”

The guard steadied his gaze, “And I just told you, you can’t! You can’t just walk in here and…” he paused, staring at Rush, his magically altered eyes taking in the sight before him, “You’re him, aren’t you? The one that saved Queen’s Court out in the forest?”

Rush nodded, “In a way, but really we helped each other. Do you know her?”

Shaking his head, the guard sighed, “Goddesses forgive me.” He lifted his spear and moved to one side, “She’ll kill me for this.”

Rush cocked his head on one side curiously, “Green Shard?”

The guard opened the door, “Listen, don’t tell her I let you in or my neck’s on the block, but…well, I reckon I owe you. We both do.” He waved Rush through, “Quick, before somepony else comes in!”

Rush trotted through and into the familiar long hall of the throne room where the court, it seemed, was in full swing. Extravagantly dressed creatures of all sizes, shapes and colours from all across the world, lined either side of the long carpet that lead to the short flight of steps, and atop them, the twin golden thrones. Celestia was deep in conversation with two long haired creatures who were bedecked with almost vulgar quantities of gold and silver. Around him, Rush noticed the nobles backing away in distaste, as though something reeking of excrement had suddenly appeared. Gritting his teeth, he walked on, straight towards the throne and into an existing conversation,

“…of fire jewels constituting four fifths of the regional income from the former lord’s protectorate.”

“This is not acceptable! Our laws prohibit the transfer of fire jewels of…of…” The hairy creature paused, “Who…?”

“My Princess,” Rush bowed formally, “I must speak with you.”

“Rush?” Celestia’s eyes went wide in surprise, “What are you doing here? We’re in the middle of a-”

“Celestia, I must insist you come with me immediately.” Rush announced loudly.

“Rush, for the Gods’ sake, you’re making a scene!” The Princess hissed, “Go and wait in the back room for me, I’ll be along-”

“Now, Tia!” Rush bellowed, “These overstuffed prigs can go hang for all I care. This is more important that some damned trade agreement.” He stomped a hoof, “I insist that you come with me immediately.”

“Rush!” Celestia huffed, “I-”

“What in Equestria is going on here?” A voice called from near the throne. It was the Chancellor, “What is this interminable noise?” the mare’s eyes alighted upon Rush, “You!” she snorted, “You’re not supposed to be here! Get out!”

“Go buck yourself.” Rush snapped.

Several ponies began laughing, but others glared angrily at him, their hooves twitching as though ready for a fight. From the corner of his vision, Rush could see movement – soldiers.

The Chancellor’s eyes went wide, “Why you insolent…!” Rush could have guessed the next words…

“GUARDS! SIEZE HIM!”

Rush span round to face the armoured warriors bearing down on him and snarled, his neigh bellowing out across the throne room,

“This is nothing to do with you! This is between a stallion and his mare, and as the Goddesses are my witness, you will keep your damned noses out of our business!” Rush turned back to the Princess, “Celestia, Tia, I have to speak with you my lady.” He bowed, and reached out his hoof, “Please, come with me.”

In shock, Celestia rose from her throne and stared at Rush, her hoof reaching out to him and then paused. She shook her mane, sending the colours, bright and alive, shimmering around her. Large purple eyes gazed into his,

“Rush…I’m sorry…I can’t, my duties…”

“-Can damned well wait!” Rush roared, “This is about you, Tia, and I will be damned if I sit back and watch you suffer any longer. I am a stallion and I will protect my mare with my life I have to!”

“My life?” Celestia looked confused, “What are you saying?” She blinked, “Am I…” She glanced at the Chancellor, then Rush, “I…” In almost silence, the Princess staggered, stumbled, and then fell forward into the outstretched forelegs of her brown stallion.

Somepony screamed as pandemonium erupted in the throne room. Rush suddenly felt hooves grab him and drag him away from the slumped body of the Princess while bellowing neighs, shouts and cries filled the air:

“He’s murdered the Princess!”

Rush looked up, “No! I…”

“Stop him!” another shouted.

“Somepony call the guards!”

“Murderer!”

He reached helplessly for the unconscious Celestia while hooves battered him mercilessly, pulling him away from her. He tried to speak, to shout out that she was fine, that the Princess had just fainted - but nopony was listening. All around him a mass of furious and incensed faces filled his vision as his ears rang with the sheer wall of sound. The last thing he saw was the white coated and blue eyed glare of a guard, just before the haft of his spear cracked Rush’s skull, sending him down into a whirling pit of darkness.