• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 1,474 Views, 55 Comments

Where the Sunflowers Grow - Bluespectre



Rush, the latest and rather unsteady addition to the newly constructed palace, is home. Trials and tribulations lie ahead for the new Royal Consort who has to contend, not only with a new world and a new body, but the suspicious ponies of Equestria.

  • ...
7
 55
 1,474

Chapter Six - Stormy Weather

CHAPTER SIX

STORMY WEATHER

Celestia was desperate to yawn. Why did these negotiations always have to take so long?! The elders of the northern tribes were so interminably boring in both their mannerisms and speech that she’d seriously begun to wonder how their people had managed to survive for so long beyond the barrier. Was it actually possible to die of boredom? Good Gods, it was starting to look like a distinct possibility! The more she thought about it though, the more incredible it seemed that some of them had ever joined forces with her sister in the first place. In fact she was beginning to suspect that the real reason they’d done so was down to little more than them being offered the opportunity to do something other than wade knee deep through snow all day long. The Princess rubbed her muzzle with a foreleg and sighed; had she always been so sarcastic? No, probably not, and she suspected it may have something to do with the influence of a certain dry witted brown stallion.

Celestia nodded as the elder continued his explanation of his tribe’s origins, its rituals, and only the Gods knew what else. For some reason it was apparently a tradition amongst the tribes to regale their host with a frighteningly in depth account of their particular tribe’s history. In this case, the droning recollections and turgid explanations had gone on not just for hours, but for days! She wouldn’t have minded particularly, only that she’d discovered to her dismay that the elder had insisted on recounting not only her own tribe’s history, but as the representative of the combined northern tribes, she would recount all of them! Unfortunately, as the Princess nodded and smiled absently, her mind was beginning to wander back to the time she’d spent with Rush in the forest, sipping blackwort tea, enjoying the smells of the forest, and its quiet rustling sound of the wind high in the…

An ear splitting scream rang through the throne room.

Everything happened at once in a cacophonous burst of sound and movement that made the two elders jump in alarm. The throne room guards stumbled to react in time as the doors, already half open to admit the expected refreshments, exploded inwards in a whirlwind of legs, fur, bellows, yells and whinnies.

Carried on a wave of brown, orange, flying crystal, and spilled spirits, the tide of destruction picked up the two hapless dignitaries and would have probably ended up in more than a few days in the infirmary if the golden glow of magic hadn’t suddenly enveloped them all, arresting their momentum and hauling them into the air. The Princess, her wings spread wide and her head held high, advanced on the swirling, helpless mess before her. She took a breath,

“WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?”

In an instant she took in the bedraggled form of Lilly, the panting and steaming Rush, the spilled liqueur… She sighed, “Oh, Rush.”

The magic winked out. The liqueur was back in the bottle, what hadn’t been spilled over the four ponies that was, but most importantly, there were no injuries – other than pride. The two northern tribal elders picked themselves up and wrinkled their noses: they literally stank of elderberries,

“P…Princess!” One of them gasped, “What…?”

Celestia help up a hoof, “Please Elder, I must investigate matters here immediately. My staff will see you to our bathing facilities before your coats become stained. I can assure you, elderberry is a nightmare to get out.” She clopped her hooves, summoning a small army of waiting ponies, “Please escort out guests to the baths and see that they are given the very best of treatment.”

In a trice, the two long haired ponies were whisked away, leaving the Princess with an exhausted looking Rush and a livid unicorn maid. Gods, why did it have to be Lilly? Celestia mentally groaned: of all ponies to crash into!

“I presume you intend to explain?” she asked.

Rush opened his mouth to speak, but Lilly beat him to it,

“He…He attacked me!” she gasped, pointing a shaking hoof, “He tried to kill me!”
Celestia face hoofed, “Rush?”

“I…er…” The bedraggled stallion began.

“While Rush is trying to catch his breath,” Celestia cut in, “Lilly, I would like you to go and check on our guests.”

“But…!”

“You are the best maid for this task, Lilly, and after this fiasco I need to know they are being cared for properly.” The Princess gave Lilly a kindly smile, “Please…for me?”

Lilly blushed brightly, a shy smile appearing on her face, “Er…yes…of course, Your Majesty.”

“I knew I could count on you Lilly.” Celestia beamed, “Now, I must see to our miscreant here. I believe some appropriate punishment may be in order.”

Rush gave himself a shake as he rose to his hooves. Disorientated as he was, he didn’t miss the look Lilly shot him as she left; the way she managed to convey so much derision and superiority in one glance was actually quite impressive, he thought to himself sarcastically. Unfortunately the reality of what had just happened was beginning to dawn on him now, particularly as its herald was looming over him in all her regal majesty.

“I slipped.” He tried.

Celestia shook her head and sank to her haunches, “Can you tell me how it is, that every time I see you lately you smell of elderberries?” she asked with a look of resignation on her face.

Rush sniffed his fur; she was right, some of the ‘refreshment’ intended for the two dignitaries was now well and truly soaked into his coat, a result of the high speed collision with the moody maid. He hung his head,

“I’m sorry.” Rush said staring at his hooves, “It seems I’m having some trouble finding out my limitations at the moment.”

“That’s an interesting way of putting it.” Celestia replied brushing Rush’s mane out of his eyes. She put a hoof under his chin and gently lifted his head. How could she be angry with him? He was so foal-like and yet so mature at the same time, it was both exciting and infuriating. Those big blue eyes of his looked up into hers, his expression a little distant and yet also bearing a certain sadness that pulled at her heart. She recognised it from when she’d stayed with him in the cabin; the way he would become introspective and withdrawn whenever he felt unsure about something. She’d discovered Rush had a tendency to blame himself for things that weren’t his fault, and this ‘pulling back’ into his own mind was a type of defence he’d developed. Unfortunately it was a trait she wished he hadn’t – it wasn’t good for him, nor anypony for that matter. She could see it now, the way his eyes were beginning to lose their brightness, the expression changing…

She kissed him.

With a twitch, Rush was back to his usual self, blinking in surprise as the alicorn pulled away,

“Tia…!”

“Did you get the shopping?” She asked matter-of-factly.

“Um, yes, it’s in the room.” Rush replied, scratching his head as if just remembering something, “Strawberries and apples, like you asked.”

“Then let’s retire for tea.” Celestia said with a smile.

“But, what about the dignitaries?” Rush asked, sniffing the damp patch on his coat, “I’ve caused those Llama’s some trouble, and you too.” He paused and nodded, affirming his decision, “Tia, I have to apologise to them.”

Celestia nodded slowly, “We will apologise to them together, tomorrow.” She raised an eyebrow, “But they weren’t Llama’s, they were ponies from the cold northern lands.” Celestia sighed as the two of them headed out of the throne room, “The Llamalian envoy is tomorrow afternoon.”

Rush had noticed the long hair of the two ponies, more so after he’d ploughed into them at high speed of course, but there wasn’t much he could do about that now. Thank the Gods they weren’t hurt though, the last thing he wanted was to cause an international incident of his blundering. Inside he berated himself for his impetuousness and ultimately foolish behaviour that had caused his beloved Tia trouble once again. Why did this keep happening? The bathroom, the bar fight, the ‘training session’ with Grove and now this! In some ways he wondered if he would be better off simply leaving for a while, spend time getting used to his new body, developing his skills and…

“Rush?”

“Hmm?” He looked up.

The alabaster alicorn glanced at him with her large purple eyes,

“I know what you’re thinking.”

Rush balked. She could read his mind?!

“I can see it in your eyes.” She continued as if in answer to the unasked question, “You’re like an open book, you know.”

Rush barked out a laugh, “I hope it has pictures in it then!”

Celestia chuckled, “Oh, I think so.” She gave him a playful nudge, “All the pictures I need.” They turned a corner and headed towards the bathing area, “Don’t worry about the Elders, they’re a hardy lot. We’ll both have a word with them tomorrow morning before they leave. You never know, they may even have seen the funny side of it.”

“Funny side?” Rush shook his head with a snort, “They didn’t seem too amused to me.”

“Oh, I think once they’ve been pampered and well fed they’ll have forgotten all about it.” Celestia reasoned, “Besides, negotiations went very favourably, so I think a few ruffled feathers are the least of our concerns.” She smiled, “Anyway, your entrance, albeit rather unexpected, had unforeseen consequences.”

“Consequences?” Rush asked a little worried.

Celestia nodded, “This!” She motioned towards the bathing area ahead, “An early bath, and a picnic to look forward to, and…” she chuckled, “no more droning Elders going on and on about how many foals had been born in a particular tribe in a particular year and how many days it took to build the tribal long house and…” she stretched her wings and gave them a hard shake, “Good Gods, I’m sure ponies have gone to war for less!”

“Tia!” Rush said rather louder than he meant.

The Princess laughed.

Rush shook his head, smiling at the happy sound of his beloved mare. It was still incredible to think that he had been here so short a time and yet found himself treating all of…’this’…as though he’d lived in Equestria all his life.

“Come on, let’s have a look at you.” The Princess said with a smile.

Even Celestia treated him as if she’d known him for a lot longer than she actually had. Rush closed his eyes as she manoeuvred him under the warm shower and began to lather his coat. Gods above that felt…so…good…

“Rush?” Celestia’s voice sounded as gentle and kind as ever.

“Hmm?” The brown stallion let out a groan as the heat soaked through his coat and the alicorn’s hooves expertly massaged his muscles.

“How are you finding your new home?” She asked.

Rush smiled absently, “Wonderful.”

“Really?” Celestia chuckled, “I was a little concerned, especially after…” she paused, “the er, ‘incident’ in the tavern?”

She may have sounded amused but Rush could still remember the anger and pain in her eyes when she’d found him lying in an alcoholic stupor. Celestia had been frightened, and he didn’t want to see that look in her eyes again…ever.

“I’d hoped young Orange Grove would been a better influence on you.” She sighed, “But now, I’m not so sure. He seems a little more irresponsible than I’d thought; I think we should find somepony else to help you find your hooves.”

“Hmm…” Rush felt a little woozy from the warmth, the relaxing feeling of Tia’s hooves – and then what she’d said sank in. “Eh? No!” Rush started, wincing as the soap caught his eyes, “Tia, I…Ow! No…”

Celestia huffed, moving a hoof under his chin and rinsing the soap from his muzzle,

“Hold still now…there…”

Rush struggled, dodging past the Princess to stand steaming and flustered before her, water cascading onto the tiled floor,

“Tia, please, I don’t want…” He took a breath, “Grove is my…”

“Yes?” The alicorn asked, raising an eyebrow.

“He’s…he’s my…” Rush sank to his haunches and closed his eyes, “You know all too well, don’t you.”

The Princess shrugged, “Why, Rush, whatever do you mean?”

The brown stallion fixed her with a surprisingly cheeky blue eyed stare, “You know what I mean, Your Majesty.”

Celestia playfully stuck her tongue out before walking past him towards the drying area. Rush trotted after her; she’d planned this all along hadn’t she? Well, perhaps not getting into a fight in the tavern, nor being beaten senseless by Grove, not to mention his unfortunate experience with waxed floor tiles, but she’d known full well that he and the orange coated earth stallion would become friends. Gods, was he so predictable?

“Oh, I don’t think so.” Tia whispered in his ear, “It’s one of the things that make you so endearing.”

Rush balked, “You can read my mind!” he gasped.

Tia laughed, “No, you just speak what you’re thinking sometimes.” She bopped him on the nose, “It’s your mind’s way of telling you to speak to others instead of bottling everything up inside you.” She nodded, “And despite what you’re thinking, Mister Rush, I didn’t know you were going to become friends with Grove, but I had hoped you would.” Celestia floated over a towel in the golden glow of her magic, “Ponies need friendship, Rush, and I suspect that you may have found that out by yourself now, yes?”

Rush nodded, closing his eyes as the towel dried his mane and muzzle.

“I’m still angry with him though.” The Princess added, “He’s a little more ‘irresponsible’ than I’d hoped, and I don’t want that…” She trailed off.

Rush took the towel from her and looked her right in the eyes, “Tia, Grove isn’t going to lead me into bad ways. I’m not a foal you know, I’m a fully grown stallion.” He suddenly grinned as the realisation of what he’d said seemed to hit home for the very first time, “I am, aren’t I…”

The white alicorn walked up to him, her large purple eyes gleaming,

“Oh, yes.” She moved closer, “You are…” Tia lifted his muzzle in her hooves, her lips so close to his her scent wafted across his nostrils as their breath mingled in the warm air, “You are my stallion…”

Kissing the Princess, the ruler of Equestria…Rush groaned as he found himself all but melting into her in that moment. She was so warm, so feminine, and yet there was something more, something that had captured his heart almost from the very first moment he’d first heard her speak: her mind. She was without doubt the most intelligent being he had ever met, who treated him, and her subjects, with a mutual respect and motherly kindness that was reflected in the love her people had for her. Rush loved her, her people loved her…

“I love you, Tia.” He whispered.

The Princess groaned, “I know…” She pulled him into her, her hooves pulling at his neck, “I know…”

Celestia’s heart was racing, her breathing becoming heavy. She brushed her muzzle down Rush’s still slightly damp neck and kissed it, running her hoof down his shoulder,

“Rush…”

The brown stallion gasped as a feeling like an electric shock flashed through him, making his mane and tail twitch. What was happening? Rush could feel his own heart beating in his ears, his hooves tingling. Celestia looked up at him, kicking off her golden hoof covers and magicked off her crown. There was a different aura about her now: a heat, a blazing inferno of emotion and…

Rush let her carry him to the towel strewn floor as the Princess stood over him, her chest heaving, her eyes burning brightly; there was an intensity about her gaze, one that was different from before: she looked…hungry. Rush blinked, slightly worried and yet…

He smiled.

Rush reached up to her…

“Your Majesty?” A voice from the corridor carried to them, “Are you…Eep!”

Celestia blinked in surprise and a sudden shock of anger flashed across her face. In a frightening display of speed, she span turned towards the pony in the doorway, her horn glowing and eyes burning,

“GET OUT!”

The Chancellor jumped back in surprise, “But Your Majesty, the Llamalian…”

“I SAID GET OUT!”

In a burst of golden magic, the hapless mare was bodily lifted and carried from the room as the door slammed shut with a loud boom that sent vibrations through the bath house. Celestia turned back to Rush, her eyes burning with the light of magic, her mane swirling in the flow of the ethereal winds of Equestria. She looked down at the brown stallion gazing back at her, the way his eyes watched her - so trusting, so…so…

“Rush…Rush I…” The Princess began to shake, ”Rush…” She sank to her knees atop him, wrapping her forelegs around his neck, “Oh, Rush…I’m sorry…I’m so, so, sorry…”

“Tia?” Rush reached around his beloved mare and held her, “What’s wrong?”

“I’m not…I’m not who you think I am!” The Princess sobbed, “I’m not…”

Rush closed his eyes and smiled, “You are all you need to be, my love.”

Celestia squeezed her eyes shut and pushed herself away from him, tears pouring down her face, “You don’t understand!” she sobbed, “You don’t know me! Nopony knows me!”

Rush sat up, reaching out for her, “But I want to know you, Tia, please…”

“NO!” The Princess snorted, shaking her mane, “You can’t! YOU CAN’T!” In a flurry she snatched up her hoof covers and crown, and with a burst of rainbow colour the white alicorn turned and ran from the room. The door slammed shut behind her, leaving Rush sitting alone in the now empty bathroom. The brown stallion sat in shocked silence for a while before shaking his head with a heavy sigh. His heart was still racing, but this time…this time he wished it wasn’t. A shiver ran through him: a wave of concern for Tia, and…for himself. Rush hung his head and walked towards the door. Reaching for it he paused; was she right? He didn’t really know her at all, did he? She was, after all, a Goddess in all but name: the Princess and ruler of a land of thousands, perhaps millions of ponies, and here he was, a lowly earth pony, acting as if he had every right in the world to just walk in and take her from her people. Rush took a breath and gave himself a shake – maybe he was just being foolish and over thinking things. He opened the door and walked out into the coolness of the corridor. Rush put his hooves on the windowsill and stared out over the golden turrets and white stone of the palace. The sun was still high in the sky, and the green grass of the hills beyond so…inviting. It was times like this that reminded him why he had wanted to spend his days alone, living how he wanted to live without having to worry about the feelings of others and the endless confusion that brought him. He didn’t want to see the pain and suffering in them, and know that he could do nothing to help them; it was one of the reasons why he’d decided against following in his mothers hoofsteps to become a healer. Sure, he’d learned, he’d even practiced his knowledge during his army days, but no matter how hard he tried, no matter how much he learned, the suffering around him continued. He couldn’t save them, he couldn’t save any of them really, not even his daughter…his wife…his niece…he couldn’t save any of them.

The cool afternoon air tickled his nostrils, the sun warm upon his face. Without thinking, his hooves had brought him to the side door of the palace and out into the gardens. He breathed in the delicate scent of flowers, the sweet aroma of grass, the richness of the soil, and revelled in the warm light of the sun on his back. But Rush didn’t want to think about any of that, in fact all he wanted was not to have think of anything at all, to just clear his mind completely and simply walk. He had no idea where he was going, but with the light breeze came the smells of the woodland. He’d avoid the town; the last thing he wanted was to bump into Grove right now and doubtless some lecture from Mind. He could picture it now: ‘you did what? Why didn’t you go after her?’ Inwardly he sighed; maybe he should have, maybe she’d even expected him to do just that, and now here he was walking away from the problem as if that would fix anything at all. Rush shook his head; what the hell did he know about mares, or females in general for that matter? Now that he thought about it, he barely even knew himself, let alone anypony else. Here he was, a pony who couldn’t read or write, looking fully grown but with all the skills and knowledge of a…a…a bloody school foal!

With a loud neigh, Rush gave himself a shake and broke into a gallop. These damned thoughts were killing him, trying to pull him down into the depths of despair. If he didn’t think then he couldn’t feel, could he? That way he wouldn’t have to worry about being hurt and he couldn’t accidentally hurt anypony else. Trees, fields, roads, fences, all manner of objects both familiar and unfamiliar went by in a blur as Rush’s hooves pounded the ground, propelling him onward. Ponies stared at him as he passed them by, their faces still so alien and yet so familiar, barely registered with him. All he wanted was to run, to keep running, to run until…until… Sparks of blue light began to appear in his vision while his chest started to burn with overexertion. Rush’s muscles felt strangely heavy, yet his head was as light as a feather: a strange and curious combination that sent warning signals through his mind. Reluctantly, he slowed his pace, gradually coming to a halt by a wide river. His eyes went wide – it was so beautiful! The crystal clear waters, the way the sunlight glinted from its gently moving surface, was so intoxicating it was making him feel unsteady on his hooves. Rush smiled and sank to his knees; he’d take a sip of that water, just a little to slake his burning thirst, and then a quick sleep beneath the blue sky and white clouds. High above him a pegasus flew by, their wings effortlessly propelling them towards their destination. Rush took in a breath and hung his head in exhaustion. It must be nice to be so free, he thought to himself, to be unchained by the land and simply soar through the sky like a bird. And yet despite his melancholy thoughts, he had to admit, he still felt at home here in this strange land, and…horribly tired too. He yawned; perhaps a quick snooze would be just what he needed.

***********************

It sounded as if sparrows were fighting in the trees far above, their incessant bickering cutting through the branches along with the smell of…smoke? Rush sat up in trice, looking about himself and blinked in surprise at the small group of ponies who were sat about the clearing chatting and passing around sandwiches.

“Hey, look who’s awake.” A blue stallion said around a mouthful of bread, “Hey guys!”

Rush rubbed the grit from his eyes and winced at the ache in his chest. Gods above, he felt like he’d been hit with a sledgehammer. What was going on here? He took a breath, about to speak, and paused; were these bandits? No, he wasn’t tied up so that was unlikely. Still, it didn’t hurt to be cautious.

“You okay?” A lemon yellow coated unicorn mare asked, sliding nearer to him, “Here, have a drink.” She passed him a cup of water, the life giving liquid bursting in his dry mouth like nectar from the Gods. “Whoa! Easy tiger, don’t take in too much at once now.”

Rush nodded, but his body was screaming for him to just plunge his muzzle into the nearby river and siphon the whole thing dry. He moved to stand up but felt something against his shoulder – it was a cloak, and a good thick one too. Suddenly a shiver ran through him and he sat back down, pulling the warm garment in around himself. Gods, he was freezing!

“Do you have a name?” The blue stallion asked rather sarcastically.

“R…Rush.” Rush chattered.

“That it?” The earth stallion asked, “Just, ‘Rush’?”

Rush nodded.

“Pop Top” The mare said, extending a hoof, “The miserable sod here is Rock Mill.” She turned to the others, “The others are Straw Cut, Barley Frame, and Queen’s Court.”

Rush nodded to them.

“Doesn’t say much, does he?” One of them shouted over, “You sure he’s okay, Pop?”

The lemon coated unicorn leaned in close to Rush, her red eyes making his flinch back, much to her amusement. She treated him to an expansive grin,

“Yeah, he’s okay, just a bit chilly.” The mare pointed towards the fire, “Get yourself a bit nearer if you like, but don’t you dare singe that cloak or I’ll have the bloody hide off you.”

Rush nodded, “Th…thanks.”

“I should think so too. Bloody idiot; we saw you belting along like a thestral was nipping at your arse and then you ended up conking out, right in the open.” She shook her head, “You from the town?”

Rush nodded.

“Huh, a fancy pony eh?” Rock snorted, “Don’t look like you done a days graft in your life.” He turned away, folding his forelegs, “Bloody posers.”

“So, what are you doing out here?” Pop Top asked, nudging the blue stallion to silence and stretching her legs, “Looking for work?”

“Huh?” Rush blinked, “I…no, I was just…” he trailed off. He didn’t want to tell them he was from the palace, that could just cause some unnecessarily awkward questions, “Er, yes, yes I’m looking for work.” Oh Gods! The words were out of his mouth before his still muzzy brain was able to stop him.

“Thought so” Pop nodded, “You look like a bit of a softy to me, but you’ve got some meat on you, so I reckon you’ll do.”

“Do what?” Rush asked.

Pop sighed, “Logging. You do know this is a logging camp right?”

It quite clearly was. Chains, harness, axes and ropes lay propped up and stacked beside the relaxing ponies.

“Funny way to look for work if you ask me,” A purple earth stallion said walking over with a plate of sandwiches. He passed them to Rush, “Guy runs until he nearly blows himself out and you think he’d looking for a job?” The stocky fellow lifted an eyebrow, “What’s the real story here fella? You in trouble with the watch or something?”

Rush shook his head, “No.” He thought about it a minute, “I was just out for a run.”

“Some run!” Pop laughed, “Let me guess: mare trouble?”

The heat flushing through Rush’s cheeks must have been all the answer she needed. Pop roared with laughter, slapping her thighs and shoving Rock who just rolled his eyes before taking out his pipe,

“Bloody knew it.”

“Yeah, right!” Pop barked pushing him encouragingly, “Come on, don’t be shy.”

The blue stallion hoofed over his bag of tobacco to Rush, “Smoke?”

“No. Thanks though.” Rush said, still feeling a little embarrassed, “I’d like some more water though.”

“Whaddya think, boss?” Pop asked.

The purple stallion, Straw Cut, nodded slowly, appraising the brown coated stallion before him, “Yeah, I think he’s okay. But go easy, alright? You run like that without constraint and boom!” he clopped his hooves together, “Don’t they teach you townies anything like that? Celestia’s arse, boy, it’s no wonder you lot got your arses handed to you in the field.”

In the field? Rush had heard that term before, in another world, another time. He sipped the proffered water and sighed, enjoying the sensation of the cooling fluid slipping down his throat,

“You were in the army?” he asked.

The stallion grinned, “Who wasn’t?” He frowned, peering closely at Rush, “What did you do? You look the right age to have served.”

“I was a healer.” Rush replied, rapidly thinking of a plausible story. It was true enough, he had been, just not in Equestria. Still, it wasn’t as if he was lying to these ponies.

“A healer?!” Pop snorted loudly, “You nearly ran yourself to death over some bloody mare and you say you’re a healer?”

Rush sighed; she was right of course, it did sound foolish when you thought about it, but at the same time there was some truth to it. He gave them an apologetic smile. These seemed to be good ponies at heart, and ones he felt a sense of affinity with on some level: they were workers, farming the land for resources to pay their way in the world - to survive. He could relate to that. Still, he didn’t want to lie to them, but what they didn’t know, as they say, couldn’t hurt them.

“I learned the healer’s arts from my mother, but mostly I was reed worker” Rush said, taking a bite of one of the surprisingly tasty sandwiches, “Not much more to tell really.”

“What’s a reed worker?” Rock asked in his dull timbre.

Rush smiled absently, remembering the feel of the raw material in his hands, the way he would bind and cut the reeds, and the smell…Gods how he missed that.

“They collect river reeds to make baskets and things. You know, like this.” Pop lifted a small lidded basket, “Am I right?”

Rush nodded, “Yes…like that.” He stared down at the ground, his heart suddenly aching, but for what, he wasn’t sure.

“Well, Rush, we can’t help you with your marefriend issues, but we’re a body down at the minute while Ash Flower’s away, so if you’re feeling up to it, you’re welcome to give us hoof.”

Smiling, Rush looked into the chestnut eyes of Straw Cut, “Aye.”

“Good lad!” Straw clopped him on the shoulder, “Now then, times getting on so we’re going to have an early turn in. You can have Ash’s bed.” He lifted a hoof, “It’s an early start though, so don’t expect any lie in.”

With a smile, Straw Cut got back up to help the others ready their gear for the next day. Rush closed his eyes and concentrated on the wonderfully simple feeling of warmth entering his body from the campfire and the hot tea that Rock had just passed him with little more than a primitive grunt. They were an interesting group, those that he’d spoken to so far of course, but the way they had accepted him as simply another pony was something he’d found had warmed his heart as much as the fire. Tia had assured him he was just like any other pony, but to see it for yourself, to experience it when your mind and heart were still unsettled – it had done wonders for him. He closed his eyes and took a breath…

Tia…

Rush sighed; she was upset and he’d run off, hadn’t he? He rubbed his muzzle with his hoof; if only mares cabme with a set of instructions he might have…might have what? Said the right thing? Known what to do? How could he?! Life in the mountains had been so much easier – lonelier certainly – but less…’complicated’. His late wife hadn’t been like Tia at all, in fact she’d almost been like a complete stranger who just so happened to live with him. They barely spoke, and they hardly ever interacted at all. Now, when he thought about it, it was nothing short of miraculous they’d ever had a daughter at all! It didn’t mean he hadn’t cared for them though, maybe even…loved them… Gods above, he must have, mustn’t he? But then…what he’d done… Even now, even after all these years, he still couldn’t fully understand what had happened. Whatever madness had driven his wife and daughter to join the very monsters that had taken them from their home in the first place had played on his mind for years afterwards. Perhaps there was a reason, maybe even one so obvious others would be able to point to it instantly and say ‘that’s why!’ It didn’t really matter though, what difference would it make now anyway? They’d gone, and he would never see them again, never hear his daughter’s laughter as she played amongst the bamboo trees or see the light in her eyes ever…ever again… Rush huddled himself up in a ball, pulling the cloak around himself and willed the painful memories and thoughts away. These were never good to have; he couldn’t change the past, nor in some selfish way did he really want to. In truth, he never should have been born in the human world at all, and here, here with these ponies, these simple folk… he felt at home.

A hoof nudged him.

“Huh?” Rush looked up in surprise at the jug being passed to him. Rock made another grunting noise and Rush nodded in response, taking the earthenware jug and taking a pull.

“Good?” Straw asked.

“Mmm…” Rush smiled as the fiery spirit ran down his throat and seemed to burst like fireworks in his stomach, sending out it heat throughout his entire body. He smacked his lips as he passed the jug to the next pony, “What is it?”

“Apple brandy”, the stallion replied, “Barley’s family make it.”

The copper coated fellow sitting across from him waved his hoof with a smile. Between them, the campfire crackled and snapped, sending its heat out to warm the outside of the brown stallion as much as the spirit warmed his inside. Rush smiled to himself; It looked as if the ‘early turn in’ had turned into a drink and chat around the fire after all.

A cream coated mare with raven black mane and tail and the most intense orange eyes he’d ever seen, peered at Rush, her expression one of intense interest. He couldn’t help but feel a little…uncomfortable under her gaze, but it didn’t particularly bother him. The jug made its way round again: a few more like this and he wouldn’t care at all! Rush smiled happily, finally letting his body relax.

Barley lifted a hoof, “Hey, who knows ‘The Thestral’s Bane’?”

“Oh, no!” Pop groaned, “Not that old hat again!”

“Oh, come on, it’s a classic!” the copper stallion replied, “Don’t be a bloody misery, Pop, even the new boy can join in with this one.”

Rush furrowed his brow: thestrals? He scratched his mane, his curiosity piqued. Opening his mouth to speak, the lilting sound of a string instrument derailed his train of thought. Suddenly he realised he hadn’t heard any music since arriving in Equestria, not that he was particularly musical himself, but he had to admit he couldn’t see ponies being able to… Rush sighed; Gods, there was just so much he didn’t know about these people…his people.

The first chord floated out, sharp and clear, resonating with the brown stallion’s heart and sending a tingle of excitement through his body. A thump beside him heralded a grinning Straw with a hoof held drum. Rush shook his head in amazement as the music began. Despite her earlier reticence, even Pop Top was tapping her hoof in time with the rhythm. Meanwhile, Rush, the newcomer to the group, pleasantly warm both inside and out, smiled happily as he closed his eyes and listened to the music, letting the words flow over him :

From lands afar on wings of night the nightmare flowed to cover our home.
Eyes afire, with axe and sword, the beasts of night with demons bright, would break both body and bone.
A herald of winter and conquerors blade, the fires of the Legion came, to slay the weak, the strong, the young, before their evil flame.

Oh smite them one, one and all! Send them back to the pits below!
When the grey dawn comes and the sun’s light calls, who will answer the trumpets call?

The girl in white, so pure and light, atop her chariot of gold,
to break the hoard of endless night, would send her fury to melt the cold.
Before the hooves of Celestian might, the demons fell before the reapers blade, to drive them from our lands so free and cleanse the home the sisters made.

Oh smite them one, one and all! Send them back to the pits below!
When the grey dawn comes and the sun’s light calls, who will answer the trumpets call?

Even Rush found himself joining in with the chorus which grew steadily louder towards the end, by which time he’d imbibed considerably more of the potent spirit. Barley put down his lute and stretched,

“You can’t beat an old classic I always say.”

“Goddesses almighty, I can’t believe somepony wrote that. What a load of bloody twaddle” Pop snorted, munching on a celery stick she’d lifted from the bowl of snacks that was doing the rounds, “I mean, she didn’t have a bloody chariot in first place, let alone a golden one!”

“It glosses over the fact we got our arses handed to us at River Valley too.” Rock rumbled, “Bloody flying rats.”

“Didn’t do much flying as I recall” Barley shrugged, “Tell you what, how about ‘The Bakers Tart’?”

There was a rousing round of cheers and the song started with Barley leaning forward sporting a lecherous grin,

Let me tell you a tale of long ago when the heroes one and all,
were fighting for their country all fiery, brave, and bold,
But beware fair traveller of the maiden, who lives in the baker’s mill,
She’ll tempt with buns and other treats, that’ll make yer privates ill!

Oh! It’s a feat for a treat that we like to eat for a nibble or a bite of yer art,
For I don’t give a fig or fight or a fart, for a bite of that baker’s tart!

Rush burst out laughing at the chorus, which only lead to more giggles as the rest of the group earnestly tried to finish the song. The grinning brown stallion couldn’t remember the last time he’d simply let his hair down, or mane rather, except that night in the village hall… He shrugged; even that was nothing compared to this! Suddenly, somepony shoved into him,

“Hi.” It was the cream mare.

“Hi.” Rush replied, a little muzzily, “You’re Queen’s Court, aren’t you?”

“Uh-huh.” She replied, her eyes boring into his, “You’re Rush, right?”

“Mmm” Rush took another swig as a new bottle of apple brandy did the rounds, “That’s me.”

“You staying with us for a while?” she asked.

Rush shook his head, “Just tomorrow, then I’ll need to…” he paused. He needed to what, go back? Gods above, he shouldn’t really have come here in the first place. Tia would be going spare, and…

A hoof stroked down his mane making him shiver.

“I like your mane” the mare said quietly, “it’s soft…”

“Hey!” Pop shouted over, “Leave the new guy alone, Queenie, he’s spoken for.”

The cream mare snorted, “Oh, come on, Pop, look at him, he’s like a little lost foal!” She turned a burning hot gaze upon her target and licked her lips, “I bet you’ve never had a real mare before.”

Rush froze, his eyes locking with the deep orange orbs of the mare as she drew closer.

“I can show you a world of…” her lips loomed in his vision, “indulgence…”

“Erm…Miss? I already have a marefriend.” Rush said swallowing.

“So?” The mare whispered, “Is she here?”

“No, but…”

Queen’s Court leaned up to his ear and whispered, “You’re a virgin, aren’t you…”

“I am not!” Rush squeaked, “I’ve a…a…”

Hooves clopped across the clearing, “Okay gang, last call. We’ve got to be up in the morning and I don’t want any accidents because you’re half cut, okay?”

The ponies all answered as one, “Yes boss!” All except Queen’s Court.

The white mare smirked, running a hoof surreptitiously down Rush’s flank, “You’ll wait.” she purred, “I promise…it’ll be more than worth it…”

Rush’s body began to relax as the mare turned to walk away, but as fast a snakes strike, she span and planted a kiss on his muzzle making him gasp in shock,

“Night, night.”

The surprised stallion sat in silence. Eventually, when all was quiet, Rush picked himself up and rubbed some life back into his legs before retreating to his bed, thanking the Gods that he was well away from the strange mare. Rush shook his head in dismay at his own ignorance: had he done something to prompt her bizarre behaviour? Of course, he’d already discovered females behaved in a much different manner here than he was used to: they were certainly more, what was the word for it, ‘aggressive’? No, maybe…‘forthright’? Whatever it was, it was making him feel distinctly uncomfortable and his thoughts automatically turned to Tia, and how worried she must be to find him missing. Or was she? Gods forgive him, he wouldn’t blame her if she never wanted to see him again after this latest round of selfish behaviour. He was such a fool…

Rush wrapped himself up in the bedding and pulled his cloak over his face. Somehow the night air felt that little bit colder than usual, regardless of how warm he felt inside. He took a deep breath and sighed it out, letting his body relax; he’d do the work he owed these ponies tomorrow morning, and then he’d be on his way - simple. Of course, he’d have to ask which way it was back to Paddock first, but from there it was just a simple trot up to the palace. He didn’t have to tell them that part though; the last thing he wanted was for them to think he was some soft rumped court stallion. Rush thought back to the cabin, the chill of the winter in the mountains and the smell of freshly brewed tea. Since coming to Equestria, whenever he thought of those long cold days, he could only truly remember the smiling white mare lying beside the fire, watching him with those large purple eyes. Oh, how she’d made his heart soar! Rush closed his eyes and huffed out a breath. Tomorrow was another day, after which he would have to find some way to apologise to her.

Again.

***********************

What was it with camping out? No sooner had you just begun to get warm and comfortable, or rather less uncomfortable, then it was time to get up. Trying to sneak in a few extra minutes sleep didn’t work either, especially when a highly amused Pop Top stood over him and began banging a copper pan as loud as she could,

“WAKEY, WAKEY!”

Rush nearly shot out of his bed like a cork from a bottle, leaping to his hooves, his nostrils flared and breathing heavily.

“Morning dozy!” The cheeky mare giggled, “Cor, you want to see your eyes! Pfff!”

She was probably right. Rush’s eyes felt like they were full of sand – very hot sand at that. Pop gave him a nudge,

“Water barrel’s over there. Get yourself a freshen up, your breakfast’s ready.”

The mare trotted off to rouse the rest of the sleepy workers, leaving Rush to stagger over to the barrel of water and dump a ladle-full over his face. The shock of cold was more than enough to bring him round with a gasp, but a quick shake later, and he was feeling a lot more like himself. Rubbing the last of the sleep from his eyes, his nostrils twitched – what was that? Whatever it was smelled…wonderful! Blue smoke was rising from a large skillet over the revived campfire, next to which sat a tall black pot that had steam drifting from the spout. The others were already beginning to line up and groggily accepting a chunk of bread, cheese, and two slices of something else that was more than likely the source of that wondrous aroma.

“Here you go love.”

“Er…thanks…” Rush stared at the tin plate, “What is it?”

“Maple coated haybacon.” Pop replied, “Local family make it. They set up shop after the war and it’s really taken off. Try it, it’s yummy.”

Rush nodded, lifting the plate up in his mouth and placed it on his back. Carefully, he turned back to join the others by the fire,

“Not having anything to drink?” Pop asked behind him.

“Oh!” Rush paused, “Yes, please.”

“Coffee’s in the pot. There’s sugar and milk too, so help yourself.”

Now this was new! Rush stood in front of the cut log that had been turned into an impromptu table. A tall pot, similar to the one he’d noticed by the fire, sat giving off a strong aroma that tickled his nose. It smelled…bitter, but not unpleasantly so. Taking a cup, he took the pot in his teeth and poured some out. It was hot, black, and smelled unlike anything he’d ever had before in his life.


“Don’t tell me you’ve never had coffee before?” Barley grinned behind him, “Here…” he leaned forward and put a dose of milk in Rush’s cup, along with a spoon of sugar, “Give it a stir.”

Rush nodded, staring warily at the now light brown liquid before taking his place by the fire. Barley sat down beside him and groaned, stretching out the crick in his neck and yawned expansively,

“You sure seem new to these parts, Rushy.” The smiling stallion said, taking a sip of his coffee, “Where are you from?”

Rush stared into his mug of ‘coffee’ and took a huff of the steam before taking a tentative sip. It was hot, sweet and strangely… He shook his head, trying to put his hoof on it. It wasn’t like tea, that was for sure, but it wasn’t unpleasant. Still, it wasn’t really something he could see himself asking for in future, it was just too unusual for his tastes. It was strong too, and sent a shiver through him. Looking up, the large eyes of the bronze stallion were watching him intently,

“Well?”

Rush sighed, “I lived in the mountains on my own. If they had a name, I can’t remember what they were called.” He shrugged, “To me they were just ‘the mountains’ and the bamboo forest.”

“Bamboo?” Barley furrowed his brow, “What’s that then?”

“It’s a type of tree.” Rock muttered, settling himself down next to Rush, “I think so anyway. Saw some once, when one of them foreigners tried to flog my ma some crap last season.”

Rush felt like sinking into the ground, but quickly shrugged it off. Barley leaned in,

“Ignore him, he thinks anypony who lives more than a mile away’s a foreigner.”

Rock snorted and tucked into his chunk of bread, a good cue to Rush to try his own. He sniffed it – definitely the source of that delicious smell, and slightly…meaty? Well, maybe not, but it had a certain something about it that made his mouth start to water.

He took a bite.

If flavour was weapon, then this would be the cutting edge of military technology. It was amazing! Rush groaned audibly, closing his eyes as the taste of the maple coated haybacon, butter, and bread sent him to a near second heaven. Of course, he’d enjoyed food at the palace, but this was something else altogether! Out here, under the trees with these ponies, a cup of the oddly tasting coffee, the campfire, and a plate of food - what more could a stallion ask for? He sighed,

“Wonderful.”

“Huh?” Rock looked at him oddly and then shrugged it off, returning to his own breakfast.

“Came from Summerton myself,” Barley said, carrying on the conversation, “Most of us are from little towns dotted about here and there.” He waved a hoof around at his colleagues, “We’ll be on here for another couple of weeks before we move on to another site. This one’s useful coz’ of the river, y’see?” he motioned towards the sparkling river nearby, “The current will take it downstream to where the lumber yards will turn it into planks.”

“And bits for us” Pop said, walking past to take her place, “That’s the most important part, eh?”

“And to help Equestria, of course” Straw added pointedly. The big stallion sat on his haunches and shook his mane, “We all need to play our part to help her heal.”

“Heal?” Rush asked without thinking.

“Duh!” Barley laughed, “The war, remember? Good Goddesses Rush, where were you? Did you sleep through it or something?”

Rush shook his head, “Not really.” He raised an eyebrow, hoping that simple gesture would make the copper coloured stallion watch what he was saying.

It didn’t.

“So, you a child of the moon or the sun?” he asked, watching him intently.

Rush froze.

“Bloody hell, Barley!” Pop Top snapped, “You can’t ask him that! For Celestia’s sake, you bloody arse, we left all that crap behind, remember?”

Silence fell around the fire. After a few uncomfortable seconds, Barley gave Rush a nudge, “Nah, I’m only kidding.” He took a sip of his coffee, “Don’t matter no more anyhow.”

Rush shook his head, “I don’t understand,” he said honestly, “What do you mean?”

Pop Top face hoofed, giving Rush the horrible feeling he’d just walked right into something he was going to regret. But it was too late, Barley was already rounding on him,

“You don’t know? How in Equestria can you not know that?”

“Maybe he’s not a bloody know-it-all.” Rock said without looking up. His heavy voice was neutral, but nopony could fail to detect the undercurrent of implied threat. Across the fire, the cream mare with the long black mane lifted her hoof,

“He means, were you born under the sun or the moon, Rush. Some of the more, shall we say, ‘superstitious’ amongst us, believe that those born during the daytime follow Celestia and those at night, Luna.”

Rush shrugged, “To be honest, I’ve no idea. I was a bit young to remember.”

Pop Top barked out a laugh, much to Barley’s apparent irritation.

“All I want to know is who did you fight for?” The stallion asked pointedly.

“I…” Rush paused.

“That’s enough!” Straw shouted, rising to his hooves angrily, “We had enough of that crap during the war, Barley, and you of all ponies should know better than that! For Celestia’s sake, just leave it will you?”

Barley huffed, “You may be able to forget it, Straw, but-”

“-We all lost somepony we loved, Barley.” Pop Top said quietly, “Please, can…can we not talk about it? I…”

“Oh, well done, you horses cock, you’ve made a mare cry.” Rock rumbled irritably, “Are you happy now? You can be a right tool sometimes, Barley.”

“Ah, sod it!” Barley snapped, slamming down his plate, “What’s it bloody matter anyway?” He shook his head, and let out a quiet nicker.

Rush sipped his coffee thoughtfully. He was somehow the centre of this, he knew, but what was the right thing to say? He didn’t know anything about the war other than what Tia had told him years ago, and the fantastical stories Grove had regaled him with. In truth, he had next to no idea what had really happened. Tia barely mentioned it, and neither did anypony else for that matter. It was obvious Celestia’s forces had won, but even to mention the conflict, let alone talk openly about it, only seemed to prod wounds that quite obviously hadn’t fully healed. Still, if he didn’t say something, he’d end up leaving these ponies with questions that could end up festering like an open wound. He took a breath,

“I…”

“Okay gang, that’s enough of that, let’s get to work!” Straw rose to his hooves and clopped his hooves together, “Usual drill, everypony: Barley, you can work with the new colt since you get on so well.”

“HEY!” Barley threw his hooves up in dismay, “What the hell! How come I get to foal sit?!”

“Because you get on so well” Pop smirked, “You want to get to know your new friend, so here’s your chance.”

“Wha…?” Barley groaned, and turned to the brown stallion standing behind him as the others got up to clear away the plates and begin the days work. “Sod it!” He rolled his eyes, “Come on then newbie, hope you can put some of your ‘reed cutting’ skills to good use.”

***********************

Thank the Gods that the days work was a simple matter of hauling on the other end of a long saw. Simple that was if you had muscles in all the right places, and it was becoming very painfully clear that Rush’s muscles weren’t. His back ached, his forelegs ached and his hind legs were feeling distinctly strange from trying to balance on them for so long. Barley had been silent at first too, other than for the occasional grumble about being ‘saddled with the newbie’ and a plethora of similarly irritating comments. Blasted creature! What was his problem? Rush already felt like kicking himself for the previous days impetuously idiotic behaviour that had ‘saddled’ him with this clown for the day. Gods above, what he’d done was something he would have expected from a child, not a fully grown stallion. Was he ever going to learn?

The copper coated earth stallion shouted to him over the sound of the saw cutting through the ancient tree, “You ever seen a thestral then?”

Rush nodded, only half listening.

“Black as death, teeth like knives and breathing fire, we thought they were dragons at first.” Barley kept talking as the saw roared back and forth, “Of course, most of us hadn’t really seen a dragon up close until River Valley, but once you had, the bloody things would haunt your nightmares for the rest of your life.” He seemed to be talking mostly to himself, so Rush just nodded along. “Where?” Barley asked.

Rush nodded again.

The saw abruptly stopped, upsetting his balance.

“I said, where?” Barley pushed, wiping his forehead, “You said you’d seen one, and I asked where.” He watched Rush like a hawk, his eyes boring into his, “Cat got your tongue?”

Taking a moment to stretch and rub his muscles, Rush rolled his shoulders before fixing the copper stallion with a hard look,

“Not River Valley, if that’s what you’re getting at” he said pointedly, “But I got a damned good look at one, Barley.” His could feel his teeth grating at the inquisitive stallion’s probing questions, “And yes, before you ask, I did fight it.” He narrowed his eyes, “And I killed the damned thing too. Is that what you want to hear?” Rush’s blood felt like it was beginning to race through him: his anger, usually buried, began to bubble up to the surface, “Or would you like to hear about how it butchered and ate my niece? Perhaps you would prefer me to tell you how it murdered dozens of innocent people in the village before trying to kill me? Or would you like me to tell you about how I lost everything I ever loved in this world because of it eh? Would that make you happy, Barley? WOULD IT?!”

Barley froze, his eyes going wide. For a few seconds he said nothing and just stared at Rush as though seeing him for the first time. Slowly, the copper stallion shook his head and took a breath,

“Rush…I…” He looked away, “I’m sorry.”

Rush could feel his hoof digging in the ground and suddenly realised just how tense he’d become. Sinking to his haunches, he picked up the nearby wash cloth and wiped his muzzle,

“Don’t worry about it.”

Barley walked closer and lifted a hoof, “Look, I mean it. I…” he neighed suddenly and stomped a hoof, “Rush, damn it, it’s hard, you know? I mean, you served didn’t you? Okay, in your own way, yeah, but you know what it was like, right?”

“To fight?” Rush asked, replacing the cloth, “Yes, yes I know what it’s like to fight.” He gave Barley a pointed look, “I didn’t like it.”

Barley shook his head, “That’s not what I mean.” The stallion looked distraught, as though memories were raging through his head and he was having trouble articulating putting his thoughts into words. Rush sighed and put a hoof on his shoulder,

“Barley, I’m not the best at speaking to other ponies.” He tried a smile, “But, I think I understand what you’re trying to say. This is our home, and we should fight to protect it, not because somepony with power or money tells us to, but because we want to protect our home and our loved ones.” He shrugged, “Of course the idealism doesn’t last long though, not when you’re fighting for your life, and not when your enemy is trying to ram steel into your body and leave you lying, bleeding your last on the ground while your friends fall like cut grass around you.” He looked away, staring up into the blue sky above the clearing, “Anypony who tells you war is about glory and honour, has never been seen a battlefield.”

“I have.” Barley replied quietly, “I’ll never forget it, or the smell…” he took a swig of water from the canteen hanging up on a nearby branch and passed it to Rush, “It never seems to come out, no matter how hard I wash.”

Rush closed his eyes; the young stallion was right. He’d never forgotten what he’d seen; rather he’d just buried it deep down and tried to ignore it. But, at night, when it was cold and the wind howled outside, sometimes he could still hear the cries of the wounded, and those he couldn’t help - those he couldn’t save. He gave himself a shake; coming here was a mistake, he didn’t want to think about fighting or wars, nor the awful things he’d seen and done. If there was one thing that was a constant wherever you were, it was that war only ever brought pain and suffering to good people. Rush sighed,

“Come on, let’s get back to work.”

Barley nodded absently, and the two set back to work with the saw.

The sun was still high in the sky when the dinner bell rang. Gratefully, Rush and Barley put down the saw and stretched in the warm sunshine filtering through from the canopy high above. Giving himself a shake, Rush tried to dislodge the wood shaving from his mane; he was going to need a damned good brushing to get this lot out later.

“Rush? You ever seen her? Princess Celestia?” Barley asked.

Rush froze, wondering where Barley was likely to take this line of conversation, but the musical stallion was just staring up at the sun, a half smile on his face.

“I have” he said.

Barley smiled, nodding, “She’s wonderful.” He sighed, “How she raises the sun each day, and now the moon too…it’s just incredible.” He shook his head in wonder, “I don’t know about the rest of Equestria, I never saw much of the world outside of my village when I was growing up anyway, but for her…I’d give anything.”

Rush felt a shiver run through him; how was he supposed to react to that? He shrugged,

“She’s a good ruler.”

Barley laughed, “Aye, and the most beautiful creature to walk upon Equestria’s soil!” He sighed, “Just imagine how soft that mane of hers must be…”

“As soft as this?”

Barley yelled in fright as a creamy white leg reached around his neck and grabbed him from behind. The young stallion’s eyes went wide in shock, staring straight ahead, his chest heaving in panic.

The mare’s lips drew close to his ear, “Dinners ready.”

With that, Queens Court released him and advanced on Rush, her eyes flashing dangerously,

“So what happened to you last night?”

“I…” Rush blinked in surprise, “I don’t-”

“-No, you don’t do you?” The mare huffed, “What did you want, a written invitation?” She shook her head in exasperation, “Useless, every bloody one of you!”

Rush lifted his hoof, “Queenie, look, I’m sorry, I-”

“-Just come and get your dinner!” She snapped, turning and flicking her tail at him, “If I feel generous later, I may even give you desert.” She paused and looked back at him over her shoulder, “If I feel generous that is.”

The two stallions watched her walk away, leaving Barley rubbing his neck where Queenie had held him,

“Bloody lunatic, she could have broken my damned neck!” The stallion hissed, “Luna’s arse, that bloody hurt too!”

“There’s something odd about that mare.” Rush mumbled.

“Odd? ODD?! She a bloody nut case!” Barley nearly shouted, taking a moment to make sure the cream mare was out of sight, “She used to be in the strike teams that went behind Legion lines to intercept convoys and such. Goddess almighty, Rush, can you imagine what that must have been like? I would have crapped myself, but Queenie? No, from what I heard, she used to enjoy it! She would sneak up on a thestral and SNAP!” He shuddered, holding his neck, “I’ll be bloody glad to get back home after this job’s done I can tell you, she’s not right in the head that one.”

“She seems a bit…frisky?” Rush offered.

“Frisky?” Barley said in amazement, “Rush, look, I know you’re a stallion like me, right? But trust me, just don’t go there, okay? I think she’s worked her way round half the company’s stallions if you get my drift and I…that is…” he took a breath, “We used to have a saying in the army: Never put you’re you-know-what in crazy.”

“You-know-what?” Rush asked, then held his hoof up as realisation hit him, “No, I get it, really.” He shook his head, “I have somepony special to me already, so you don’t need to worry about it.”

Barley motioned towards the campfire and the gathering ponies, “If I were you, I would worry.” He gave Rush a meaningful look, “I said no, Rush, but it didn’t stop her.” He shuddered, “Nothing stops her.”

Rush felt a chill run down his spine at Barley’s words. Thank the Gods and all the spirits he was leaving tonight! Life here in Equestria really was different from what he was used to. For one thing, here, females fought alongside males in war, not to mention being all too happy to pursue their more ‘personal’ interests. Gods, was he becoming prudish in his old age? Surely not! Or…or was he? He and Celestia had only ever kissed, not…not what Queenie had in mind anyway, or so it appeared. When he and his wife had come together it had been like some sort of pre-arranged business meeting and far from anything he would have ever considered pleasurable. The only time he’d ever felt like ‘that’ was in the bath house: the look in Tia’s eyes, the way she ran her hooves through his mane…

“Here you go: baked potato, buttercups and corn cakes.” Pop Top passed Rush a plate loaded with a surprising amount of food, “Problem?”

Rush shook his head, “No. I didn’t expect so much!”

The mare laughed, “Got to keep the troops fed, big boy.” She nodded towards Queenie who was serving coffee, “You’ll need your strength for that one.” Pop kept her voice low, “You know, nopony will say anything if you two wanted to, you know, disappear for bit tonight.”

“No!” Rush squeaked. He cleared his throat and caught the sidelong glance from the cream mare before answering Pop Top, “I’ve got a marefriend, Pop. For the Gods’ sake, what’s wrong with ponies around here?”

“What’s wrong with you, you mean?” Pop hissed, passing him another ladle of something, “You know what it’s been like since the war. Celestia’s backside, Rush, try and show some understanding will you?”

Rush balked, stepping aside as the next in line took their meal and left him standing there like a spare part. What the hell was she going on about? Show her some understanding? And what? Abuse the trust the Princess had put in him and lie with Queenie just make her feel better? He felt a shudder run through him as he took a seat near the fire. As much as he felt happy in his new body, as much as Equestria was beginning to feel like home, their strange outlook on life and the way ponies behaved compared to what he was used to, was…unsettling. He cast his mind back to the time he’d seen a foreigner for the first time in the city his mother had taken him to when he’d been younger. Everybody had been staring at the man as if he’d two heads or something. He couldn’t understand a word he’d been saying of course, but his mannerisms, his dress, and everything about him made him stand out like a giant amongst dwarves. Rush wondered if how he felt now was how that pale skinned man had felt all those years ago.

A thump next to him announced the arrival of…

“Queenie?”

“Mmm…” She looked up at him, giving him a wink, “The very same.” The mare nodded towards Rush’s plate, “Get that down you, you’ll need the energy.” She smiled, “For work, of course.”

Gods, didn’t she ever let up?

“Leave the foal alone, girl.” Pop said, sitting next to them, “He’s not going to take the bait. Look at him, you’ve scared the poor bugger half to death.”

Queenie shrugged, “Never look a gift horse in the mouth, mum always used to say.” She smirked, “Or a pony.”

Rush took a breath, “Queenie…”

“So, Rush, how are you finding it so far?” Straw asked, munching on his corn cake, “Bit different to reed cutting I’ll bet.”

Rush nodded, “I’m not up to my neck in water all day” he said with smile.

Straw laughed, “You want to stay on, do you think? Ash’s place needs filling, so there are bits in it for you.” He turned to Barley, “What do you think of him?”

“He seems okay.” Barley said nudging Rush, “Bit soft around the flanks though, but he’ll toughen up.”

The words ‘soft flanks’ seemed to be echoed somewhere nearby, making Rush’s hackles go up. He took a breath,

“Thanks everypony, but I really have to get back. I’ll be missed at home.”

Rock nodded, “Home is where the heart is.”

“Oh, profound words from the stallion of wisdom himself!” Queenie snorted, “Why don’t you keep your bloody muzzle out of it bug-a-lugs.”

Rock glowered at her, “I’m not the one who can’t keep their tail down, and…”

“Okay! Enough!” Straw shouted across the campfire, “We’re a team here ponies, so lets just keep focussed on the job. Remember the discipline we used to have? Yeah? Well try exercising some of that around the new guy, eh?” He leaned forward, “You understand what I’m saying…Queenie?”

The mare snorted, “Hmph!”

“Queenie?”

She groaned loudly, “Yes, boss!”

“That’s better.” Straw shook his head, “Goddesses it was easier to keep foals in rank than you lot.” He returned to his dinner, leaving Queenie quietly seething.

Silence fell like a shroud, leaving Rush feeling as though he were the cause of it, inadvertently or not. He took a bite of his food and thought about what he knew about them, and what he knew about Equestria: the answer wasn’t good – he knew next to nothing. He decided to take the plunge,

“Are you all ex-army?” he asked.

Straw nodded, “Yup, everypony here.” He waved at Pop Top, “Pop was a Guardsmare with Colonel Golden Spoon’s lot, Rock was with the royal engineers, Queenie was with the deep strike teams, and Barley was with the central division.”

“And you?” Rush asked.

“Me?” Straw barked out a laugh, “I was with the Equestrian Legion.”

Rush furrowed his brow, “The…?”

Straw nodded emphatically, “Nightmare Moon’s Legion.”

Everyone was silent. Judging by the looks on their faces however, it was clear that this was no revelation to the loggers, but every one of them was watching to see how Rush would react.

He didn’t.

Straw raised an eyebrow, “You’re not surprised?”

Rush shrugged, “No, but the war’s over isn’t it?”

“Are you asking that seriously or you being ironic?” Pop asked, looking a little unsure, “I can’t tell with you at all.”

Rush shook his head and stretched his forelegs, “I don’t know much about what happened Pop, but what I do know is that where there’s people, there’s conflict. It can be over territory or even over a bloody sandwich, but resorting to killing each other over it?” He snorted, “How can that be right?” Rush looked round at Barley, “You may not like somepony because of what they believe, and that’s fine, all of us believe different things and have differing points of view, but its whether you act on those beliefs which can impact the lives of others who only want to be left to live in peace.” He stood up, putting his plate down, “I lived in the mountains to get away from the incessant killing, greed, and cruelty of other humans, and where did it get me? Did they leave me alone? No, no of course not.” Rush gave his mane a shake and drank the rest of his coffee, “You have a beautiful home, and if you have peace, then all I can say is you should cherish it as much as a newborn foal. All of you know what the alternative is.”

Straw nodded, “Aye. We all know where that leads.” He stared into the flames a while, his eyes taking on a distant cast before he looked back up at the brown stallion with a wry grin “You sure you won’t stay on, Rush?”

“No.” Rush shook his head, “Sorry, Straw, but I have somepony who’s waiting for me.” He smiled sadly, “Excuse me, I’ve got work to do.” He turned to leave.

“Hey!” Barley wolfed down the last of his dinner and hurried after him, “Bloody hell, give us a minute will you?” The copper stallion quickly caught up to Rush and huffed loudly, “Do you really believe all that? What you said back there?”

Rush cast him a look, “Of course I do. Do you think killing others to get what you want is right?”

“No.” Barley replied, “But you said we should fight to protect our home, and that’s what we did - all of us. If we hadn’t, the Legion would have killed us without any compulsion and taken out home.”

“That’s not the same thing though, is it?” Rush said, “Killing others who are trying to kill you and doing what you can to protect others, is a hell of a lot different from acting upon prejudices or greed.” Reaching their allocated workplace, Rush lifted up his end of the saw, “Trust me, I know all about that, and it’s why I hate dealing with…” Rush gritted his teeth and let out a deafening neigh that boomed out around the trees. Gods, he hated dealing with others! His skin twitched and he waited impatiently for Barley to get himself into position. Soon enough, the saw began it’s steady back and forth motion, rasping into the bark of the tree and inexorably chewing its way through the heartwood. Barley would occasionally look up at him as if he wanted to say something, but mercifully kept quiet. What he couldn’t understand was why he’d been probing to see if Rush had been on Nightmare Moon’s side, when he didn’t appear to be bothered by Straw being ex-Legion. For the Gods’ sake, what did it matter anyway? He supposed it was because Barley was young and hadn’t become old and cynical like he was. And that was another thing wasn’t it? Just how old was he? He’d lived in the mountains for so long, he’d forgotten how old he was, and had given up caring in any case. But here in Equestria, when he looked at Barley and the others, he didn’t look any younger or older than any of them. Come to think of it, that gardener had treated him like a child when he was probably older than he was! Well…maybe…but did it really matter? Celestia was hundreds, if not thousands of years old, and she still looked….he smiled to himself…beautiful.

Hours passed in silence, other than for the repetitive sawing, the creak and crash of the trees as they fell, and then creak and rattle of harness as they were hauled away before the next one was selected. Pop appeared with coffee and sandwiches a while later, surprisingly quiet for once.

Barley watched her walk away, “Rush?” he asked in a low voice, “I’m sorry I was a dick with you last night.”

“Huh?” Rush looked up at him, the stallions statement catching him off guard, “Oh, about that child of the night or sun thing?” He sniffed, “Don’t worry about it. I’m not.”

“I know, it’s just…” Barley nickered, “Oh, I don’t know. I mean, Straw’s been with us since the beginning and we all trust him, you know? But what some of the Legion did was…” he shook his head sadly, “They did some terrible things, Rush. I’m sure you heard the stories.”

Rush shrugged, “Not really, and in all honesty, I don’t want to either.” He stretched his neck which was already starting to ache, “The past should stay in the past, Barley. Dredging it up only causes you pain. Trust me on this.”

Barley snorted, “I wish I could see things the way you do.” The stallion dropped onto his knees and rolled onto his back in the wood shavings, “It was years ago, and it still…” He snorted and began gyrating his back, scrubbing it into the large pile of wood chips with a look that spoke of nothing short of sheer ecstasy. Smirking, he looked up at Rush, “Care to join me?”

Rush laughed at the sight of the copper stallion who was now liberally covered in sawdust,

“Ah, to hell with it. Why not?”

The two rolled for all they were worth, snorting loudly as the dust went up the noses, coating their hides, their manes and tails. Rush shoved his back into the ground, attacking an itch that had developed there earlier and groaned at the release of tension that he hadn’t realised had been building up within him. In a sudden explosion of wood chips and saw dust, Barley jumped back up to his hooves before shaking the worst of it from his mane and coat,

“Better?” he asked.

Rush nodded, brushing some of the smaller pieces from his ears,

“Better.”

Barley yawned, “What’s a human?”

Rush paused, quickly regretting his runaway mouth, and yet Lilly’s words came back to him unexpectedly, making him smile, “Naked pink monkey things.” He chuckled.

Barley’s eyes went wide, “What, like apes?” He shook his head in amazement, “You lived amongst talking apes?”

“I suppose so.” Rush replied, “It was a long, long way from here.”

Barley began hauling on his end of the saw again, “I don’t know much about what’s outside of Equestria.” he said honestly, “This is my home, and that’s all I need as far as I’m concerned.”

Rush couldn’t agree more. Like his friend, he hadn’t seen that much of the world during his life in the human world, except for when he was too young to remember properly. Fighting for his life with the army didn’t count; at that time all he could think of was how much he wanted to be home and swore never to leave again. In reality, most of his life had been spent in the bamboo forest, well away from people, and away from all the nonsense that they had a tendency to spout. Here, hauling back and forth on the saw with its simple repetitive motion, this energetic yet oddly satisfying work – it was like a balm for the soul. Rush smiled to himself; he could forgive the inquisitiveness of his work colleague. Barley was a simple lad at heart, and one who had seen things no youngster ever should have - nor should anypony for that matter.

“Where’s all this lumber heading, anyway?” Rush asked.

“Anywhere they need it, I guess.” Barley replied over the saw’s rasping, “With all the rebuilding, the quarries can’t keep up with demand so lumber’s become the ‘in thing’.” He smiled, “Good money in it too, you know. Why don’t you get your marefriend on board and come work here with us? She won’t mind if she knows the money’s good, and besides, we’re a good team.”

He was right; Tia probably wouldn’t mind him working here, and she was keen for him to meet more ponies. Rush sighed; in truth, he was probably going to catch a right ‘royal’ earful when he got back, but at least he had done what she’d asked, hadn’t he? He’d met more ponies, he’d made more…friends? He chuckled inwardly; he supposed he had. The Gods must be killing themselves laughing: here he was, Rush, the miserable hermit, the ‘madman of the hills’ as some had called him, working with others and actually enjoying their company. He laughed; if this was madness, if he really had gone insane and all of this was some incredible fantasy of his diseased mind, then he prayed he would never recover.

“Sure!” Rush nodded to his new friend, “I’ll ask her when I get back.”

“What’s her name?” Barley asked.

“Tia.” The image of the white alicorn loomed in Rush’s minds eye. The way her purple eyes gazed into his always made him melt inside.

“What is she?” The copper stallion asked.

Rush smiled absently, “A mare.”

“I know that!” Barley laughed, “I mean, an earth pony, unicorn, or pegasus.”

Rush shook his head, “What’s it matter?”

Barley shrugged, “Nothing, I suppose.” He gazed up at the sky and the occasional leaf falling from the tree as it vibrated with the action of the saw, “I’d like a pegasus marefriend myself.” He smiled distantly, “Can you imagine? Those soft feathers, brushing against you…” He shivered, “Goddesses, Rush, it must be like the touch of an angel…”

It was. Rush began to remember when Celestia’s wings had brushed him for the first time, all those years ago in the gloomy hut in the mountains. Of course, his human skin had been a lot more sensitive due to the lack of fur, but he hadn’t really thought about it until now. He remembered how he’d woken up with her forelegs around him and how one of her wings lay across his chest, tickling him – not unpleasantly, but…it had certainly caused a shiver or two. A broad grin began to spread across his face; yes…yes it had, hadn’t it?

The saw stopped.

“You have a pegasus girlfriend, don’t you?!” Barley exclaimed, wiping sawdust from his muzzle, “I bloody knew it, you lucky sod! No wonder you’re so keen to get back!”

Rush shook his head, “There’s plenty of mares out there, Barley, go out and find one. A young lad like you should have no trouble.”

“Huh, yeah!” Barley snorted, “You know what it’s like out there, now. I’d be torn to shreds.”

The water felt wonderful against Rush’s muzzle; cool and refreshing. Giving himself a shake, he passed the water ladle to Barley,

“What do you mean, ‘out there’?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot you’d been living under a rock.” The sarcastic copper stallion replied with a sniff, “Haven’t you noticed the lack of stallions?”

Rush shook his head. Taking a draft of the cold water, he sank to his haunches and considered Barley’s words; he hadn’t really noticed. The palace guard seemed to be a pretty even mix of males and females, and even in Paddock there’d been…mostly mares. He furrowed his brow; was it war attrition? Now that he thought about it, it made sense, but surely as many mares would have been killed as stallions. He shrugged,

“There are more mares than stallions in Paddock, I suppose.”

“Paddock?! Is that where you’re from?” Barley rolled his eyes, “Bloody hell, you’re lucky then!” He groaned, “You’ve got more of a mix there than most.”

“You’ve lost me.” Rush admitted.

Barley looked at Rush as if he were explaining to a child, “It’s simple mathematics: more stallions were killed than mares.” he said matter-of-factly, “Many of those left are now working in quarrying, logging, and building trades where most of the money is.” He waved a hoof, “The majority of the damage was up north where the Legion first appeared, so that’s where the work is you see, and also, where they’re up to their naffs in flank.”

Rush lifted an eyebrow, “Up to their…?” he lifted his hoof, “No, don’t, I think I get it.” He sighed, “So what you’re saying is most of the mares further south are too old or something?”

“Foals my friend,” Barley replied knowingly, “they’re saddled with fetlock nippers. Most of ‘em will be widows you see?” The young stallion lifted up the saw and inspected the blade, peering at a nick on one of the teeth, “Who wants an old mare?”

“I…” Rush paused, his eyes narrowing, “Hmm…” he rubbed his muzzle and looked away, “I suppose.”

“I don’t know what you’re looking all gloomy for, you’ve got your pegasus filly to look forward to when you get back.” Barley sighed, “I’m going to get some bits in my pocket before I head north and find the right mare for me.”

“There’s bound to be pegasi around here, surely.” Rush pointed out, “I’ve seen them flying around the pa…around Paddock.”

“Well of course you will.” Barley said, clucking his tongue, “There’s loads in the royal guards still, but they lost a lot less in the war than us poor buggers.” He raised his eyebrows and sighed, “Who wants a boring old earth pony eh?”

“Oh thanks! I’m a ‘boring old earth pony’ too, Barley!” Rush exclaimed.

“You know what I mean.” Barley said waving off Rush’s protest.

The brown earth stallion gazed at his foreleg; it was neat, strong, and muscular, just as much as any pony he’d seen since coming here, but Tia had told him earth ponies had the edge over the others in terms of physical strength, but…

“What about unicorns?” he asked, “There’s plenty of those about.”

Barley raised an eyebrow, “What about them?”

Rush groaned, “Why don’t you go for a unicorn? I’ve met some and-”

“-Nutters.” Barley cut it.

“I’m sorry?”

“I said they’re nutters” Barley replied as if Rush had asked why water was wet, “Whole bloody lot of ‘em.” He clucked his tongue, giving Rush a sidelong glance, “You…you don’t like them, do you?”

Rush frowned, “The ones I’ve met have been perfectly normal.” he asserted with a nod of his head, “Paddock’s doctor is a unicorn and-”

“-Celestia’s ample arse! You didn’t let one of them touch you, did you?!” Barley gasped, “Magic will kill you, Rush! Bloody hell, every earth pony knows that!”

“What a load of bollocks,” Rush snapped, “I’ve had magic fix my injuries and I’m perfectly fine.” He held up a foreleg, “See? I’m in one piece, and the last time I looked I still had all four legs!”

“Uh!” Barley shuddered, “Dad said I shouldn’t go to unicorn doctors, and I don’t intend to start either!” He closed his eyes and nodded, “’Magics is not for earth ponies’.”

“Magics?” Rush asked.

“It’s how he talked.” Barley sniffed, “Funny old bugger he was.”

“Oh, I don’t know.” Rush smiled, giving Barley a wink, “The way it tingles through you feels…you know…” he shivered, “Amazing…”

“Wha…you…you and a unicorn? You did that with a unicorn?!” Barley’s face flushed bright red, “I…Oh my Goddesses!”

“Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, Barley, that’s all I’m saying.” Rush grinned.

“Oh, Goddesses, I think I’m…” Barley paused, his eyes going distant for a moment before furrowing his brow, “Was it…you know, was it…good?”

Rush smirked at him, “A stallion would never kiss and tell, my young friend.”

“Hey! You can’t do that!” Barley snapped, “Come on, tell me!”

“Nope.” Rush picked up his end of the saw, “Go and find out for yourself.”

Nodding, Barley stomped a hoof noisily, “Right then! I will!” He lifted up his end of the saw, “Mind you, dad would go off it if I came home with one. He’s a bit funny like that.”

“Maybe, but it’s your life, Barley” Rush said as he took a grip on the saw, “Live it your way.”

The young stallion stared at Rush a moment, then shook his head,

“I don’t know, Rush” he said with a smile, “You sure have a funny way of looking at things.”

Rush shrugged, “No, not really.” The saw began to roar back into life, “I’m just too old to care about things anymore.”

“Old?” Barley barked out a laugh, “You’re not much older than me!”

Rush’s grip slipped on the saw, but he quickly recovered, earning an admonishing glower from his friend. Did he really look…young again? He hadn’t given it much thought, but… He smiled; the Gods really did have a sense of humour after all.

Or was that, ‘Goddesses’?

Maybe.

***********************

Rush twitched as something cold landed on his muzzle, something wet – Rain? But it was brilliant sunshine just a moment ago! Another drop landed on his ear, the next right inside making him yelp in surprise.

“Uh-oh.” Barley looked up at the sky, waving to Rush to remove the saw, “We’d better get back to the others: the rains coming.”

Well, there was a first time for everything. The days had been nothing but sunny with pure blue skies ever since he’d arrived in Equestria, but he knew all too well how weather could change in a heartbeat. Still, that had been the mountains; here in Equestria, he’d only ever seen the gentle rolling hills around the palace, the town of Paddock, and wherever this was. Now that he thought about it, where was he? He’d have to ask the others before he set off for home, but the way the rain was beginning to come down in earnest it looked as though he may be setting off a little later than planned.

Before the two stallions reached the camp, the rain was hammering down around them and sending up clouds of ash from the campfire as it hit the hot embers. The sizzle and hiss of the once warming fire was all but drowned out by the ominous rumble of thunder and Straw’s urgent orders,

“Get that gear under cover! Quickly, damn it.”

All of them worked swiftly and with purpose, grabbing harness, saws, axes, and anything else that was exposed to the rain and loaded it all into one of the nearby carts. Barley, Rush and Straw helped Rock haul a large oiled canvas tarpaulin over the gear while Pop Top and Queenie covered the bedding and smaller camp items to keep them dry.

The rain roared through the canopy above while the wind, cold and bone chilling in its intensity, tore through the woods. Rush hated wind. Rain he could tolerate, even enjoy if he was inside looking out at it, but the way the wind seemed to make the rain water feel that much colder even through his fur, was something he doubted anypony in their right mind would enjoy. Worse still, you couldn’t just take your fur off to dry it like you could clothes, and he suddenly remembered the horrific smell of his adopted human father’s dog when it lay in front of the fire after playing out in the village pond. The smell had been stomach turning. A sudden thought struck him: he wasn’t going to smell like that was he? Oh, Gods!

The rain continued unabated.

“Is this seasonal?” He asked.

Rock narrowed his eyes, “What?”

“I mean, is this normal for this time of year?” Rush enquired, “For storms to come out of nowhere like this.”

Rock shook his head, “No.”

Rush gave up. It was quite obvious that getting much of a conversation out of Rock was, quite literally, like trying to get blood out of his namesake. Pop Top came to the rescue,

“I don’t know what it was like where you’re from, newbie, but storms have been popping up out of nowhere ever since the war.” The mare hoofed him a waterproof cape, “Here, put that on, it’ll stop you getting…” she shrugged, “wetter.”

Rush pulled it over himself, using his mouth to help tied the simple closure, “I’ve seen weather change quickly in the mountains, Pop, but not that fast. Maybe we were just so busy that-” His observation was interrupted by an urgent call from Straw,

“Give me a hoof to tie the shelter down or we’ll lose it! Barley, you get that pole, Rush the other while we get pegging. Rock, where’s that bloody hammer gone?”

“It’s here!” Queenie appeared out of the now torrential downpour carrying a sack of tools, and quickly began passing them out as the task of saving the shelter began.

Water splashed onto Rush’s cape noisily, but at least it wasn’t going in his ears anymore. Thanks be that somepony had had the forethought to design the things to cover a ponies head properly – now if only they had some way to stop it soaking up your tail too... Rush blinked away the rain water that had splashed into his eyes, concentrating instead on listening to Straw’s commands. He hadn’t really given much thought to his hearing since arriving in Equestria, nor the way he was able to swivel his ears to lock onto sound far better than his human ones had. His tail still had a mind of its own though, and he was thinking of having it cut short to avoid dealing with the inevitable splashing of mud that made the blasted thing stick his legs. It was no wonder Tia had so many baths and showers; unless it was a mare thing…he wasn’t sure. Straw’s commands rang out and he hauled on the guy rope to tension the canvas as Rock pummelled the stake into the ground and adjusted the saturated rope. Good Gods, when was this rain going to end?