• Published 18th Jun 2012
  • 3,280 Views, 70 Comments

Welcome to Equestria, Friend - Jewbacca



John Marston and Nigel West Dickens in Equestria, what else is there to say?

  • ...
4
 70
 3,280

Chapter 1: Strange New Place

NOTE: I do not own rights to either franchises. Red Dead Redemption is owned by Rockstar® and Rockstar San Diego®, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is owned by Hasbro®. Used without permission.

--------

Chapter One: Strange New Place

John sat on the bed, shaking his head. He had been swindled and captured by the Mexican Army, and had otherwise been hopping over the fence between the army and the resistance. All he wanted to do, was rest.

He got up from the bed, and looked at his map. I suppose goin’ to and staying in Armadillo for a few days can’t hurt... the bounty hunter thought to himself. He smiled, walked into his closet, threw on his duster coat, put on his hat, grabbed his weapons and cash, and walked outside.

He began walking ahead. A nearby woman waved and exclaimed, “Hola! Señor Marston!”

He smiled and tipped his hat towards her. Helping with the resistance had turned him into a local celebrity in the province, but he just wanted to get away.

He put his hand to his mouth and whistled, and a short couple of seconds later, a golden, pristine Kentucky Saddler trotted up and came to his side. He quickly mounted the horse and began riding out of Chuparosa.

He eventually reached the wilderness, and continued riding through and out of Mexico. He finally crossed the bridge and into the United States. The trip was uneventful, nothing happening until he finally reached the small town of Armadillo, and went into the saloon.

Ignoring the prostitutes that bothered him, he went to the counter.

“Whiskey.” he rasped, the bartender pulling up a bottle and a small shot glass. The man poured it into the vessel, and he quickly swigged it.

He sat there for a moment, when a masculine voice came from outside.

“John! John! Come out here, quick!”

The bartender looked at him, Marston smirked and said, “It’ll be a minute, friend.”

The bounty hunter walked outside, pushing the gates to see a familiar face. It was a slightly large man, sitting in a stagecoach brandishing the name “N.W. Dickens Patented Elixir”.

The old man hopped from the vehicle and looked at him with a smile. “John! I saw you coming here on your horse! I found something amazing! Quick! Come with me!” Dickens exclaimed.

“If it’s another race, or you want me to sell more of your ‘Patented Elixir’, I want out of it.” John mumbled irritably.

“No, it’s not that. It’s something strange, something amazing!”

“I came to Armadillo to rest, so I still want out of it...”

“Don’t worry, it will take none of your time away! Quick, come!”

Shaking his head and swearing the con-man under his breath, John hopped up onto the side of the wagon. Nigel walking around and climbing in the driver’s seat, He snapped the reigns quickly, loudly declaring, “We must make haste, John, I don't know how much longer it will stay around!”

“How long what will stay around?”

“I’m not sure, you’ll just have to see it for yourself!”

With that, they moved out of Armadillo. John decided to take a nap, and, shortly, arrived at their destination.

Dickens nudged the bounty hunter in the side to wake him up, his eyes fluttered open, and he looked around.

“Why are we at Hanging Rock?”

"This is where I found it. Quickly, John, we have to find it soon!”

The two men hopped from the carriage and walked towards the group of rocks.

They examined the landform together, but saw nothing.

“I don’t know what you’re playin’ at, Mr. West Dickens. What are you tryin' to get me to do?”

“No, I’m being serious, John. I implore you, just give it another look."

They checked again, nothing.

Marston expression of confusion distorted into a frown, and then into a look of rage. He pulled out his semi-automatic pistol and pointed it at Nigel’s head. “You better tell me what the hell is goin' on before I put a bullet in your head!” he shouted angrily.

Dickens threw his hands in the air, “J-John, violence is never the answer, maybe if we’re patient enough-”

“I don’t care at this point. I just want to go back to Armadillo...” John pulled his sidearm back and put it in his holster. He then walked to the coach and got into the seat. Nigel followed suit, getting in the driver’s seat and grabbing at the reigns.

He was about to snap at them when a blinding light distracted them. The two looked back at Hanging Rock to see a large, white, ovular object sitting in the air. John was confused, Nigel was smiling.

“That’s it! I told you, John! I told you!” the old man shouted.

“Well, old man, I guess you were right.”

But before either one could get out, the object rushed towards them. Even one with the fastest reflexes couldn't have gotten out of the way of it. It consumed the wagon, and the two men on it.

---------

“Ugh...w-where am I?” John asked, regaining consciousness. He slowly opened his eyes to see a pink face staring at him with massive eyes.

He screamed rolling out of the way of the entity. Feeling himself regain his strength, he looked to see it was a...pony?

A pink pony, with a curly, magenta mane. John was staring in confusion, shock, and all sorts of other emotions.

“Hey, Mister! Who are you? What are you? How did you get here?” the pony bombarded him with questions.

“My God...are you a...a horse? Never mind that...You can talk?!” John asked, dumbfounded.

“Well...yeah! Everypony can talk, silly!”

The bounty hunter was trying to let everything soak in, but it was just too bizarre of an occurrence for him to pass down. He began looking around him, he was on a stone path. Several more ponies were surrounding him, and he finally locked his eyes onto the cart and Dickens, who was laying on the ground.

“What’s this...’N.W. Dickens Patented Elixir’?” one of them asked.

John hobbled over to the con artist. He slowly got up, Marston quickly running over to assist the old man. “Th-thank you, John, I should be fine. I just wonder how the coach survived the fall, and my-”

He turned around to see his horses were missing.

“Where are my horses! They’re...gone! All that’s there is the wagon, and hopefully...” he walked to the back and opened it up, the plethora of bottles and flasks lay before him.

“Okay, my elixir is safe, thank God.” he mumbled to himself.

“I’m still curious as to what the hell is going on...” John said.

“Well, I can say this: Welcome to Equestria!” the pink pony exclaimed.

“Equestria?” John asked.

“Yeah! That’s where you are, silly goose!”

“Well. I reckon I was in New Austin only a few minutes ago...”

“New Austin, where’s that?”

“Um...the United States, where I thought I was. But I must've hit my head pretty hard. I have no idea what’s going on after that...thing...hit us.”

“Oh, I never did find out, what are your names?”

Nigel ran up to meet John and the pony, “My name is Nigel West Dickens! This is my associate, John Marston!” he declared proudly, before falling down.

“I think you should lay down for a minute, old man, you’ve taken quite a fall...” John muttered.

“Well, my name is Pinkie Pie!” she cheered.

“Pinkie...Pie...Well, I’ve come to a place full of colorful ponies, and one’s name is Pinkie Pie. I ain’t sure I’m right in the head right now, anywhere I can rest for a bit?”

“Sure! You can come inside the bakery, have some tea, and we’ll talk about everything!”

Marston sighed, and nodded, grabbing Nigel and pulling him up from the ground. They then followed her into said bakery.

---------

“Alright...so...let me get this straight...Whatever that...thing...was...sent us here, Equestria, some country full of colorful ponies of all kinds, and this is real...” John put his head in his hands, he had no idea what was going on.

“My God...I’m gonna lose my family because I got stuck in some place full of imaginary creatures...”

“Wait, what do you mean you’re going to lose your family?” Pinkie asked worryingly.

“Okay, look, I may as well give you the full picture, ‘Pinkie Pie’...”

He then went to explain as to why he was in New Austin, what he’s done, and what he and Nigel experienced before being sent to Equestria.

“Oh...my...Celestia...you were in a gang? And you...killed...other...ponies?!”

“Well, people, not ponies. But, yeah, it’s a shameful thing.”

The gleeful Earth pony stared at him with a sullen, teary gaze. She slumped in her seat and put her head in her forelegs onto the table. “Look, could you at least find a way for us to get out of here?” John asked. Nigel quickly grabbed him, and pulled him towards him. “Wait, John.” he whispered, “Perhaps, here, I could find some customers to buy my Patented Elixir! I’m sure a good plenty of these ponies have some sort of ailment!”

“Look, Mr. West Dickens, you can do that, but I want to get here. The last thing I want to do is do what I’ve been doin’ with you, which, last time I reckon almost got us killed!” he snapped back.

“But what if we can’t get out of here, we must make it worthwhile!”

John shook his head, he looked back at Pinkie, who was nervously clopping her hooves together. “Um...Pinkie?”

“Yeah?” she asked.

“I’m sorry you have to deal with all this...But it seems that we can’t get out of here, yet. If it’s possible, is there anywhere we can get some warm food and a bed?”

“Well...I’m sure Twilight can help you out...”

The two men nodded, and they walked outside. That’s when they were confronted by another problem, the coach.

He looked at Nigel, who just smiled with a ridiculous grin. “Oh, don’t worry about me, you go find that ‘Twilight’ fellow, I’ll find a way to get this thing moving!” he said.

---------

“Thanks, for taking me here, Pinkie...” John mumbled as he looked in front of the tree-like building.

“Oh, no problem! Um...what was your name ag-” she replied.

“John, John Marston”

“Oh, well, no problem, John!”

With that, she turned around and walked away. John looked ahead and began walking to the building. He reached the door, bending down, he knocked on it.

A couple of seconds later, the top half swung open to reveal a lavender unicorn with a violet mane. But before he could say anything, she screamed.

Shortly later, she walked back up to him with a massive grin, “Oh-...Oh my Celestia, a real human!” she exclaimed.

“Um...yeah...now-”

“Where are you from? How did you get here? Are there more humans with you? Can you-”

“Look, Friend, the only reason I’m here is because your friend....Pinkie Pie...lead me here. All those questions can be answered, but I just need to rest for a bit.”

“Oh, why...yes! Of course! Come in!”

She opened the door completely to let him in, he was a tall man, though, so he had to crawl in, and even in the vastness of the library, he was still very tall.

After he had gotten settled down, Twilight’s barrage of questions continued.

“Okay.” he cut her off in her ramble. “My name is John Marston, I’m a bounty hunter that was staying in New Austin, and, well, Mexico. Last time I reckon, the year was 1911. I was sent there to hunt down a man I used to roll in a gang with, name’s Bill Williamson. My family was threatened a-”

“Wait, did you say ‘gang’?”

“Yes, now I don’t want to go all on what happened and what I did, but I was shot and left for dead.”

“Oh...Um...Well I-...”

“I don’t want to talk about it right now, I just want to rest for a bit.”

“Well, that’s fine, but after that, can I ask you something?”

“Shoot.”

“We, as in Ponyville, have been having some problems with criminals, seeing that this is what you do, maybe you can help us after you rest.”

“Well, I guess I don’t have much else to do here, so what harm can catching a few crooks do?”

“Great, I guess we can start tomorrow!”

“Yeah, sure.”

John smiled and nodded, Twilight returning the gesture.


A/N:

Maybe not a great start to the story, but it’s the worse thing I do when it comes to writing. So, what should be expected? Nigel West Dickens trying to con the residents of Ponyville out of their money with his elixir? John Marston being sent to hunt down ruthless outlaws? What’s going to happen? You never know. Give it a chance!

But there is a bit of a reason I did this:

I love Metroid, but I’ve been logging hours of time into Red Dead Redemption recently, so I decided, “Why not give it a shot?” I have mentioned before that I was going to write a fic. Who knows, I may be the first to write a Red Dead X My Little Pony story, I doubt it, but I might. And, another question, why Nigel West Dickens?

Well, aside from the fact that watching him in all of those cutscenes is hilarious, I find him to be one of the few normal characters I have encountered from the U.S., the other two being Marshal Leigh Johnson and Bonnie MacFarlane. Seth is a creepy son-of-a-bitch and Irish is just some crazy drunk that robs nuns...

Oh well, enjoy!