• Published 30th Apr 2016
  • 574 Views, 15 Comments

Guardians of the night - Literary



If you are reading this and Fall of the Moon has not occurred then you need not worry you may stop reading at any time, and the Fillies and Colts under my care are just fine. If it has. she is coming back. and it is too late for us. -Mark

  • ...
 15
 574

The Bumpy Road to Agreement

Equestria
Garden of Dreams
Half an hour later

“Mommy mommy who is he?” I hear a young voice say.

“Shhh Quiet little one or you will wake him.” said an older female voice.

I slowly open my eyes as I feel a headache coming on. “Uhhh My head” I say as I place a hoof on my head. ‘Wait, what the? a Hoof!? What happened to my hand!’

“Quick mommy look he is waking up!” says the same young voice from before.

Upon fully opening my eyes I saw what looked like a cross between a pegasus and a unicorn and a young, blue colt. ’wait blue? since when were colts blue?’

“Welcome to equestria young one” the Unicorn Pegasus crossover said smiling. ‘how is she even smiling?’ “I am Luna, Princess of the night.” she spread her wings beaming now,

‘AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH’

“My name is Luke, what’s your name?” the blue colt, now known as Luke, said smiling at me with a pair of huge puppydog eyes.

”M-m-mark” I stuttered. I swear, those eyes couldn’t get any bigger. I start to take deep breaths trying to calm myself down.

“Hello M-m-mark you have an unusual name” Luke said.

“Luke, I believe he meant to say his name was Mark. Isn’t that what you meant to say?” Luna said.

“Yes, that is what I meant to say” I confirm, having finally started to calm down, as I start to sit up in the bed. “You said this is Equestria, where is that I have not heard of such a place back home, what is this place, what am I doing here, how did I get here, and most importantly of all WHY AM I A HORSE?”

“What do you mean by ‘why are you a horse’?” Luke asked, while tilting his head to the side like a dog, as if being a horse was the most normal thing in the world.

“You certainly do have a lot of questions and I will do my best to answer them. In regards to your first question, Equestria is not on what you would refer to as Earth, here most people are ponies. As to your second question you are in my garden of shadows, where I hide myself and my Children from those who would seek to harm us or take them away. The answers to your fourth and fifth question is that I brought you here as we could use your help.” said Luna.

“So you brought me here against my will away from my friends and family just so I could help you with something that I still don’t know what it is yet.” I summarized angrily as I sent an angry glare towards Luna. “I still don’t see why I should help you when you kidnapped me.”

Luna’s face turns down trodden as if she really feels sorry for kidnapping me she turns toward Luke. “Luke would you mind leaving the room; Mark and I have somethings to talk about and I would prefer you to be out of the room.” Luke nods and turns around and walks to a door that I hadn't noticed before, he opens the door then leaves closing the door behind him. Luna turns back to face me. “I know that you are angry but I wish that you will understand that I needed help so I cast a spell to seek out a human that could help take care of and protect my younglings from those who wish to do them harm. As for why you were taken that would be because that you fit the list of requirements that had been laid out for the spell to use. So you were merely chosen because of your luck.” By now Luna looks so sorrowful that I almost feel sorry for being mad at her. “I cannot always be there for them as there are other duties that I must take care of in order to keep them safe. I realized that I needed help to protect them from the dangers of this world; that is where you come in Mark. You fulfilled the requirements that were given by the spell and thus were brought to this realm.”

“What kind of duties are you talking about and what younglings; the only one that I have seen so far is Luke. Do you mean to tell me there are more?” I asked still pretty angry but not as much now that I had learned why I was taken.

“Yes there are 3,141,592 more younglings that are taken care of here in my garden of shadows. As for what kind of duties keep me away from the younglings among others these duties can include Raising and lowering the Moon, Night Court, watching my Sister’s ponies dreams, as well as guide them through their hardships through their dreams. And I need to keep my sister from suspecting anything about this place. My duties aren’t the only thing that keeps me away from my younglings however; I am a nocturnal being and during the day I must sleep else my powers will weaken greatly and my sister will find us undoing all my efforts to protect my younglings.” Luna said with a sorrowful frown.

“Your sister? Who is she and why is she so dangerous?” I say with a confused look on my face.

“My sister is named Celestia and she is the ruler of Equestria” Luna replied with a small smile almost as if she was reflecting on good times. “I used to rule alongside her but then one day a great evil awoke and my sister and I fought back against this great evil. We won but at a great price, the kingdom of Equestria was greatly weakened as a result of the battle. In the aftermath I proposed to my sister that I go off to another land to found a great colony where the colts that I take with me will be able to grow up strong and happy, but my sister feared that this would split the kingdom of Equestria and cause it to fall apart forever. Thus she forbade me from going through with my proposition.” By now Luna’s smile had faded into a deep frown as she recounted what was undoubtedly a negative time in her life.

“So then what did you do; I can see that you clearly didn’t follow her as otherwise I wouldn’t be here. If she had forbidden you from doing so why did you do it anyways?” I asked after she had finished.

“Truly you are wise or at the very least observant; you are right I spent two days trying to choose with my mind conflicted between following my sister’s orders and helping to try and save the colts who were suffering in that time. Then I decided to go through with my plan to help the fillies and colts; so one night while everyone else in the castle had fallen asleep I rose up and took the colts who were in need and who were suffering and flew with them into the night eventually reaching my hidden sanctuary here in the garden of dreams.” Luna finished with a melancholy look on her face. “Well anyways that is enough talking for today I think, you need your rest and you certainly could use some time to think about my offer” Luna says as she gets up to leave.

“Wait.” I say, holding a hand out to stop her before asking. “What do I get out of it?”

Luna turned back to me but before she was able to continue a loud thump and a series of loud harsh whispering was heard from the other side of the door. Luna whipped her head around and used her magic to open the door causing about 5 or 6 colts to tumble through into a heap.

“You should be sleeping young ones.” Luna said while levitating them into the air.

“But Luke said that the strange pony, woke up!” Said a cream colored earth pony filly

“Yeah we wanted to see him!” Added a small black pegasus colt.

“I put you to bed though.” Luna said before turning to me and adding. “Could you help me put them to bed for the night? I will gladly tell you why I’m asking for your help afterwards.”

“Fine, I suppose that I will help you put them to sleep, but I will be asking why I should help you with this after we are done putting them to bed.” I replied

"Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from you.” Luna answered.


“There that’s the last one tucked into bed. Now why should I continue to help you?” I said after tucking the last colt into bed.

“Please follow me, I will explain upstairs.” Luna replied as she walked out through the door of the nursery. I follow her after a moment of debate in my head. Luna leads me to a balcony overlooking the nursery.

“Before I answer your question, please answer one of mine. How much do you care for the younglings below?” Luna asked

“I suppose that feel rather attached to them even though I haven’t known them for even a day. They just invoke these protective instincts deep within me and I can’t help viewing them as if they were my own family.” I said.

“I see, well the reason I asked you is because I wanted to see if you cared for them. So I will ask one more time please help me; if you won’t do it for me then please do it for them” Luna said in a somewhat pleading voice while moving her head to indicate that she was talking about the younglings sleeping in the nursery below.

“Fine, I will” I said. “But only because they need me, and I am not going to let them down”

“Thank you that is all I ask." Luna said before continuing. “You should also get some rest Mark. You’ve had a trying night.” she turned away from me and walked out into the night air, she looked back at me with a small, yet thankful smile before flying off into the night sky above.