• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 993 Views, 17 Comments

Big Mac Writes a Love Letter - HiddenMac



Afraid to talk about his secret love, Big Mac decides to write a letter expressing his true feelings. After all, it's easier than awkwardly confronting her...

  • ...
1
 17
 993

Business as Usual?

There's work still needed to be done.

Big Mac needed to take his mind off the humiliation of the entire town receiving his love letter. The best way to do that was to keep working out in the fields. Fortunately there were plenty of trees to buck and lots of cider to make. With Applejack inconveniently called away with Pinkie Pie for another friendship problem...again, Mac had to work the entire farm by himself...again.

Mac was alone. Apple Bloom was still playing with her friends and Granny Smith napped in the farmhouse. Still, Big Mac got the feeling like there was somepony else there; like he was being watched. He would occasionally take a break from applebucking to look around only to not see anypony there. Every time he bucked a tree he could swear he heard heavy breathing or movement in a distant tree, yet he could not find any cause. Perhaps it's just nerves getting the better of him; the embarrassment from the letter might be causing some paranoia. He just needed to get back to work to take his mind off things. However, no matter how hard he tried, he had trouble focusing on his chores.

If he couldn't get it out of his mind, he might as well think of what he is going to say at the festival. Deep down, he knew no pony would be there (who would be interested in a simple, quiet, and "boring" farmer?), but he should still compose something to say just in case. With his mind focused on the festival and his body going through the routine motions of harvest, Mac became oblivious to the world around him.

"See! There he is!"

Luna pointed toward the red stallion working in the orchard. She and her sister were not but a short distance from the hard working stallion, but their concealment spell made it impossible for him to notice them. Celestia nodded as Luna's gazed was fixed on the earth pony.

"I told you he was handsome!"

"I did not doubt you", Celestia acknowledged her younger sister, "I just think it is still unwise to take an interest. Applejack's brother is an important part of the Equestrian economy; he can't leave to live with you in Canterlot."

"Then maybe, perhaps, I shall move here!" Luna protested. It was much too soon to consider moving in together. She didn't know why Celestia would bring it up, but the thought of rebelling against her sister's commands always thrilled the Alicorn princess. Luna didn't want to overthrow her sister this time, but she still found satisfaction in the idea of the scandalous, forbidden romance. She continued to stare at the working farmer in admiration under Celestia's disapproving eye.

Mac lined up to buck the next tree. Most of the fruit was already at peak ripeness so it shouldn't take that much effort to knock most of them down; a single leg kick should suffice. Baskets surrounded the tree ready to catch the falling fruit. He lifts his leg and releases a powerful kick to the trunk of the tree.

THWACK!

Apples fall into the perfectly placed baskets with only a few rolling to the ground. Just after, the branches above begin to snap as something large falls from the canopy. Mac turned behind to see what caused all the commotion when he noticed he just bucked a pegasus out of the apple tree. The light blue pegasus now hangs on top of the bottom branch to avoid the painful fall to the ground with an apple in her mouth. Who is that? Mac thinks to himself. Light blue, Wonderbolts uniform, is that Rainbow Dash? No, wrong color mane. I know, it's...

"You alright, Miss?" he politely asks.

The Wonderbolt spits the apple out, "uhhh...yeah! Just Fine, heh heh. I was just..."

Mac inspected the apple now rolling on the ground and noticed several bite marks, but no actual bites taken out of it. Perhaps this was the reason for the muffled breathing he had heard earlier; she had been using it to forcefully silence herself and remain unnoticed. But why was she up there in the first place? What was she doing and why did she lose focus when he came over to harvest the tree? He wasn't getting any answers as the shocked mare landed, stuttered, and panicked to think of an excuse where she could salvage her pride.

"FLEETFOOT?!"

Another apple tree nearby began to shake as a second light blue pegasus leaps and glides down toward the scene. Mac instantly recognizes this one as his sister's good friend Rainbow Dash. She lands and marches straight up to her fellow Wonderbolt with a determined sneer on her face. Okay, what it SHE doing here? Mac continues pondering. Did AJ schedule some Wonderbolt convention without asking me?

"Fleetfoot, what in Tartarus are you doing here?" Dash stops inches away from her face.

Mac wondered why Rainbow Dash sounded angry; after all, she was also trespassing on his land. However, Dash usually sounded intense when he was around and he felt it best not to add to it. Besides, Dash was known for taking naps in his trees, so seeing her around while doing chores is a common sight. She stared intently as Fleetfoot desperately tried to find an excuse.

"Well, Crash...I mean, uh... DASH..." Fleetfoot was used to being Dash's superior but currently she felt it best to maintain a respectful tone in her situation. "You said...this...AHA! You said this place had the best napping trees! Yes! That's it! I was just napping!"

Mac apologized for waking the frightened mare, "Geez, Ah'm sorry, Miss-"

"Hold on!" Rainbow Dash stuffed her hoof in Mac's face, "I never told you about this! Why are you really here!"

Fleetfoot looked around to quickly try to find another excuse. "The...APPLES!" Technically, she wasn't lying. At most it could be a double entendre. She picked up her apple, "I came here for the big...juicy...delicious...RED apples!" She took a succulent and seductive bite as she gazed into Big Mac's eyes.

Rainbow Dash could be thick-headed, but she was no fool. She stomped her front hooves into the soil and huffed out her nose in jealousy as she watched Fleetfoot make come-hither eyes at her prize. Why would Fleetfoot take an active interest in her stallion so soon after Dash herself came to realize her own feelings? She wasn't having it; Big Mac is HERS! Dash pressed her muzzle straight into Fleetfoot's as Big Mac recoiled, fearful at the awful tension. Before either made a move, a quiet sneeze emanated from yet another nearby tree.

All three ponies snapped their attention to this new interruption. Dash was the first to realize that they too weren't alone.

"All right! Who's there!" she whipped around to the source of the noise and displayed an aggressive stance, "SHOW YOURSELF! I KNOW YOU'RE THERE!"

A yellow head with a pink mane cautiously crept out of the canopy.

"FLUTTERSHY?"

"A-a-a-a-h-h-h!" Fluttershy screamed silently, trying to retreat behind the leaves.

They're everywhere! Mac thought to himself. If only he knew about the Alicorn Princesses observing the spectacle behind a magic spell.

"Fluttershy, get down here!" Dash commanded.

The shy pegasus fluttered down to join the others. She still hid behind her mane, too embarrassed to make eye contact with anypony, especially Big Mac. She blushed from humiliation and being in the presence of the kind, gentle, and attractive stallion. She had rarely expressed romantic intentions and certainly lamented others discovering her forbidden desires. She wanted to dig into a hole and never come out, but she knew Rainbow Dash would dig right on after her and pull her up until she explained herself.

"What are YOU doing here, Fluttershy?!" Rainbow Dash asserted.

"I...I-I...was just..."

"Huh?!" Dash spoke forcefully.

"I was just... enjoying the view..." Fluttershy tried explaining as quietly as she could.

"WHAT'S THAT? SPEAK UP!" Dash overcompensated the volume of her voice.

"ENJOYING THE VIEW!" Fluttershy yelled, unable to control her volume, "I was enjoying the view!" She clenched her eyes as she dropped and covered her hooves over them. Her shame was too great and she didn't want anypony to see her like this, especially Big Mac. She started to sob from the embarrassment as Mac stepped forward to console her, oblivious to the true meaning of her words.

Dash understood the meaning however. Why were multiple fillies suddenly interested in her stallion? Why was one of her best friends suddenly interested? Finally, how was she going to react? One was her superior with the Wonderbolts and the other was a lifelong friend; she shouldn't just erupt and fight them. Then again, she had never felt so strongly about any stallion as she had now; she didn't even know if she was capable of it. Love was for frou-frou lady ponies like Rarity, not the awesome Rainbow Dash. Fleetfoot, however, knew how to respond as she has had to literally fight for Big Mac before.

Fleetfoot had loved Big Mac for a while now. Ever since she crashed into him at that one festival and hallucinated the romantic fantasy, Fleetfoot had been smitten with the large farmer. Now there were not one, but multiple rivals for his affection. These others also had the luxury of proximity. They knew where Big Mac lived for years but did nothing, Fleetfoot knew she had the right to pursue him if she only knew exactly where to find him. Now she knew, and nopony was going to separate her from her love. Once again, she knew she would have to fight for him!

Fleetfoot stepped toward Fluttershy, "I hope you mean you were enjoying the flora, and NOT the fauna!" She stared down Fluttershy with a sneer. The yellow pegasus trembled as she feared the aggressive Wonderbolt.

Rainbow Dash stepped in to defend her friend, but also to relay her own intentions. "Hey! Leave Fluttershy alone! Besides, both of you don't have a chance! He's MINE!"

That's when it finally hit Big Mac: the letter! This was all because of that humiliating letter! He started to step back as he just wanted to flee this embarrassing situation. They knew about his hidden affections and were about to fight over them. Most stallions would be proud and enjoy the spectacle, but Big McIntosh was not like that; he was a Gentlecolt. Still, the humiliation proved too much to bear as he found himself retreating from the inevitable altercation as he cursed himself for being a coward.

"There! See?! You scared him off!" Rainbow Dash berated Fleetfoot, "and right when I was going to tell him how awesome I think he is!" That's probably as close as Rainbow Dash would come to professing love.

"Me?!" Fleetfoot snapped back, "I've wanted him for a while now! If anything, it's YOU that messed everything up!" The two Wonderbolts now stared each other down ready to fight at any moment.

"Well..." Fluttershy quietly added, "I think...I have the most in common with him. Maybe...I'm the one who should have him?"

None of them backed down when Big Mac fled back to the safety of the farmhouse. It wasn't until the two Wonderbolts crouched to pounce at each other did Princess Celestia reveal herself. She wasn't going to have three fillies she knew very well tear each other apart in her presence.

"PEACE, My little ponies! This is no suitable behavior for three esteemed pegasi such as you!" She landed in the middle of the altercation. To her surprise, they all seemed hardly fazed by The Princess landing in their presence. They all still stared each other down while trying to maneuver around the giant tetrarch. She clearly underestimated the effect this stallion had on the eligible mares in Equestria. Fleetfoot found an opening and lunged by Princess Celestia right at Rainbow Dash. Before she could tackle her, a blue magical aura enveloped her and halted her progress.

Luna stepped forward and separated all pegasi from each other. Nopony was going to fight in her presence, and especially not over her stallion! "That is quite enough! There shall be no more violence displayed today!" She turned back to face the orchard. "If there are any more interlopers, make thyself known lest we drag you from the trees ourselves!"

Over a dozen trees and bushes started to shake as various uncorns, pegasi, and earth ponies emerged from their hiding places. Many were recognizable such as Cloud Chaser and Tealove, oh did Fleetfoot remember Tealove, but the one that caught the Wonderbolts' attention was the fire-maned yellow pegasus that was their captain, Spitfire.

"Hey, Flatfoot...Crash..." Spitfire cautiously greeted.

"Spitfire?!" Fleetfoot exclaimed, "what are you doing here?"

The Wonderbolt captain quickly shrugged off the initial timidity as she forced her usual authoritative tone, "we found your letter... OUR letter that you hid in your locker when we needed to know the details about the performance. I came by to make sure you didn't do anything foolish again! That was before I noticed..."

"Not you too..." lamented Fluttershy. She hated competition, but now it appears she must compete with many of the greatest mares in Equestria for the heart of Big Mac.

"Well he IS attractive, he has a lot of land, a respected and renowned family, he's a true gentlecolt, and that letter..." Spitfire sighed in admiration, "which was addressed to US, by the way!"

"Oh no you don't...ma'am!" Nopony, absolutely NOpony was going to come between Fleetfoot and her stallion; not even her captain. "Big Mac is MINE!"

"ENOUGH! It appears gentle McIntosh has many admirers, but none of you know of his desires," Luna assumed she was the only one who received the love letter. She figured Mac would make his intentions known at the upcoming celebration and all she had to do was wait until then. "If any of you want to know his true intentions, then we shall wait for him to make them known; then we shall see!"

"Yes..." Celestia added while peering sideways at her sister, "then we shall see..."

---

"But Granny, Ah don't want to! It's so humiliating!"

Big Mac pleaded with his grandmother. He was standing outside the front door to the farmhouse protesting his latest chore as it meant traversing straight through town to get more supplies and an ointment for some sudden and mysterious malady Granny was now complaining about. Working in his own fields was bad enough, what would it be like if the entire town behaved in a similar fashion? What if there were upset stallions he had to contend with? And why was Granny being so uncharacteristically unreasonable... even for her?

"Tough beans!" Granny Smith responded, "I have a sore foot an' Ah need some salve to cure it! Now get yer keister down to dat there hospital b'fore Ah whip ya sumthin' fierce! Yer never too big to put over mah knee!"

Granny Smith immediately slammed the door in Big Mac's face, demanding he get on with his job. In truth, she had nothing wrong with her foot, she just wanted to force Big Mac to go through town. She understood what had happened and what was going on in the fields, but rather than pity him, she found it amusing. She WANTED Mac to trot through town being chased by hungry lovelorn fillies; it might actually do him some good.

"Maybe then Ah can finally get some great-grandfoals!"

Mac cautiously pulled the wagon, always keeping an eye out for trouble. The streets of Ponyville were curiously empty. Most stallions in town made the effort to keep their mares inside until all this business blew over while the fillies vied for a favorable position to spy on the object of their affections. Mac couldn't see anything, but he got the feeling like he was walking into an ambush. He glanced side to side, building to building hoping nopony would notice him and leave him to his shame.

He looked to his left. Whew! Nopony there. Maybe he will actually get through this unnoticed! When he turned back to his right, that's when he noticed the light green unicorn walking right beside him staring deep into his eyes. Sweetcream Scoops had once again manage to sneak right up to Big Mac with a look of desire in her eyes that always seemed to freak him out. Mac had always been such a shy colt and the overt flirtations she always displayed made him uncomfortable. Mac picked up the pace, hoping to trot away from the amorous unicorn. His efforts were in vain however as there was no was he could outpace her while pulling his supply cart. Glancing back to his left he noticed he had picked up two more followers in Lyra and Bon Bon.

"Hey there, hot stuff! Picking up anything special for our celebration? Anything we can do to help?" Lyra questioned while Bon Bon involuntarily bit her lip again.

"N-n-nope!" he nervously responded.

He picked up the pace a little more, it was then he realized that he had attracted three more followers. They all seem to be coming out of the alleys and various hiding places to ambush the terrified stallion. He hardly noticed when he started running at a full sprint; the cart bouncing and crashing into nearby obstacles. The poor cart finally met its end when a gray pegasus slammed down onto it from above, causing the wheels to break and collapse the front end. When Big Mac turned in startled reaction, he saw the crooked eyes of the mailmare with a chewed bouquet of flowers in her mouth that she had intended as a gift.

Now strapped to the destroyed cart, Big Mac had little hope of escape as the group of mares closed in around him. Salvation came by the magical energy of a dear friend. The harness attached to his chest glowed a light blue aura as they loosened and fell to the ground. The ponies directly in front of him, which were Twinkleshine and Bon Bon, also emanated a blue glow as they were cast apart giving Big Mac an avenue of escape. He bolted through the opening straight into the shop of his rescuer.

"Quickly, Big Mac! In here!" yelled Rarity.

He jumped through the frame as Rarity slammed the door in front of the pursuing mares. Mac lay on his back for a few moments struggling to catch his breath as she bolted the door and came over to check on his condition.

"Big Mac, are you alright? What ever is going on out there?!" she stroked his mane to comfort him. "Never mind! It doesn't matter. The important thing is that you're here now!" She turned away to her design table to grab her measuring tape.

Mac took a look around the Carousel Boutique. Normally she kept it in organized chaos, but today it seemed far more chaos than organized as it usually was. Ribbons, papers, gems, and all sorts of decorations and tool were strewn about in no particular order. It was as if Discord was her housekeeper. He got up to inspect her designs closer and look at the schematics of her current creations. They sure are really fancy this time; even by Miss Rarity's standards. He tried examining the closest design paper in greater detail when he felt her hoof on his foreleg. She stretched the measuring tape to get an exact number of its length.

"Now hold still, darling. This will only take a few moments!"

He's heard her say it plenty of times before, but there was something off about they way she said "darling" this time; as if she truly meant it for the first time in her life. It seemed far more...affectionate than the casual way she phrases it. Could it be?... the realization finally hit him as he figured that she too must have received a copy of his letter. Starting to panic, he scanned the room again for evidence supporting his assumption. He saw papers with ideas of dresses and suits, unsent order requisitions for flowers and decorations, a stack of invitations, and finally, two mannequins; one in a tuxedo coat the other in a jeweled white dress with veil. Not only had she gotten the letter, she was already planning their wedding!

This was too much; too sudden. Mac started hyperventilating. He needed to get out and get some fresh air! With Rarity distracted by measuring, and taking far too much time on his flank, he recommenced his flight from an over-infatuated mare. He barged back through the front door, shattering it into pieces and splinters, as he prayed the gathering was not still outside. As his luck has proven recently, of course they'd still be there. In fact, a few more joined in the group as to see what was going on, then stayed when they realized it was their beloved Big Mac. The two things Mac had on his side were his size and the element of surprise. Most jumped out of the way as the large stallion crashed through, but rejoined the chase when realizing it was Mac trying to escape. Now, there was one more; Rarity chased too, still holding the measuring tape in her mouth.

"McIntosh! You get back here! Everything MUST be perfect!"

---

"Alright, Cheerilee, you can do this!"

The violet mare kept reassuring herself as she decided to confront Big Mac today so as to not ruin the Anniversary celebration. She had received his love letter declaring his intentions, but she saw him only as a good friend and that's all he could ever be. She rehearsed her speech over and over in preparation for the compassionate rejection she would be forced to give.

"Mac, we've always been friends, good friends, but I'm sorry; I just don't feel the same way as you do and I don't think I ever will."

She looked up the road to the top of a gentle hill to notice a small cloud of dust growing larger. Then she noticed the red stallion crossing into sight as he sprinted his way toward her.

"Okay, Cheerilee! It's time to do this; be brave!" she took a deep breath in preparation. "Mac! We need to ta-..."

Her mouth remained agape as she saw the horde of infatuated fillies pursuing him. She wondered if Mac was in trouble; did he break the law? It took her a moment to notice they were all female and all had love on their minds. Within seconds, Mac sprinted by her.

"Is everything okay, Big Mac?" she asked concerned, but already knew the answer.

"NOOOOOOPE!!!!"

The crowd rushed past her. She contemplated why every filly was suddenly enthralled with her good friend. Mac's a nice stallion, but he's certainly no Prince Charming, she would occasionally tell herself. She was hoping and waiting for somepony like Prince Blueblood, whom she had never met, to come sweep her off her hooves for a life of romance; the kind she always read about in her trashy romance novels. Mac was always nice, and she wanted him to continue doing nice things for her, but he was just a friend and that was where she wanted him to stay.

So why is she becoming jealous watching all these fillies pursuing her Mac? Maybe she stopped trying to fool herself or maybe she hated seeing him potentially claimed by another mare. But she finally, at least subconsciously admitted her desires for the quiet stallion. "You thieving hussies," she remarked to the herd in pursuit, "get your hooves off my very special somepony!"

At last! The hospital is finally in sight! Mac sprinted the last few paces before barging through the front doors and barricading the entrance with what ever desks, chairs, and other assorted furniture he could find. He collapsed onto his flank in exhaustion as he struggled to catch his breath after the lengthy pursuit through town. The lone hospital worker at the time slowly approached to greet the stallion and offer any assistance if needed.

"Why, hello Big Mac," Nurse Redheart seductively greeted, "fancy seeing you here before the celebration. Is everything all right?" She wrapped her tail around his neck and stroked his cheek with her hoof, "Did you come here for a... check-up?"

"N-n-nope! F-f-foot medicine!" he shrieked nervously, "Granny sent me to pick up her foot ointment!"

"Ointment?" Nurse Redheart asked confused, "Granny Smith didn't ask for any ointment!"

Of course! Mac thought, this was her plan all along! Make up some fake injury just to have me chased by all these crazy mares! I've got to get out of here! But how am I going to get back home safely?!

Redheart continued her advances. She was alone in the hospital with her special stallion and nopony would be able to come in. Perhaps sealing off the hospital entrance was against code, especially if somepony needed medical attention, but it left the two of them with a window of time where they wouldn't be interrupted. She would make the most of this opportunity luck had granted her.

"Come on, Mac, It's just you and me. Let's have a little preview of our romantic night at the Anniversary celebration!" She leaned in to start kissing his cheek and neck.

Mac's heart raced as he could see why this was a fantasy of every stallion; why they all wished to be him. It's nice to be desired by every filly and mare. But Mac wasn't every stallion; he is a classically chivalric stallion. He wants to do things right with the pony he loves. His intentions are only honorable, even if that causes him to be ridiculed by his friends who just want to have a good time. He could not see any way out of this short of using his strength and forcing the misguided nurse off.

A lavender flash of light appeared from the left of Big Mac. He opened his eyes to see what threat this new sorcery posed as he saw the defiant figure of Twilight Sparkle. Her eyes scowled in determination as she used her magic to forcibly remove Nurse Redheart from Big Mac.

"Mac, come quickly! There is an emergency at Sweet Apple Acres!" She then grabbed him in her aura as she transported the both of them all the way back to his farm.

Reappearing back at Sweet Apple Acres, they had landed in front of the barn with no other pony in sight. Mac was relieved to finally be rid of this pursuit, but now he had concern over this new emergency of which Twilight spoke. After getting his bearings, he looked back at her to find out what was going on.

"I'm sorry, but I lied about the emergency. I saw you being chased by all those mares and then barricade yourself in the hospital. I was worried about you." Even though she just tried to help, she still felt guilty for lying. She stared down to the side, afraid to make eye contact.

Mac responded by hugging the surprised Alicorn, "Thank you, Twilight! I owe you!"

Relieved the stallion was not angry, she patted him on the back in appreciation until they finished the hug. It was then she made up her mind, "Anytime, Mac! But I think I'll redeem it now..."

She quickly leaned in and planted a full kiss right on the shocked stallion's lips. She had contemplated the ramifications and potential of a relationship, but when the time came, she just went with her instinct; and was it ever right! After what seemed like a blissful eternity, she finally broke the lip-lock as Big Mac remained in shock. Twilight blushed profusely as she concluded she had made the right choice. Staring at the paralyzed stallion, she smirked as she teleported back to her castle in preparation for the newly discovered romance waiting for her at the celebration.

Big Mac just continued to stand outside for a time, jaw dropped and motionless from the shock of the events that had just transpired.

Author's Note:

Yes, a lot of this story is inspired by my favorite Mac ship pics.