• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 993 Views, 17 Comments

Big Mac Writes a Love Letter - HiddenMac



Afraid to talk about his secret love, Big Mac decides to write a letter expressing his true feelings. After all, it's easier than awkwardly confronting her...

  • ...
1
 17
 993

Expressing your feelings

Soon after lunch, the weather team commenced with the cleanup of the storm clouds. Big Mac and Applejack took this as a sign to survey the orchard and check for any damage. Taking the greater part of the afternoon, they met up once all the damage was assessed.

"Anythin' worth mentionin' ?" Applejack spoke first.

"Nope!" Mac used his standard reply. Of course there was some damage, like a few broken branches and some vegetables that didn't make it, but overall he had nothing worth reporting.

"Well, a lighting bolt took out one of the older trees and the wind uprooted another!" Applejack berated. "When I see Rainbow Dash, Ah swear ah'm gonna take one of them branches and knock some sense into her! What was she thinkin', callin' up a storm that size! Ah'm gonna take it outta her cider priv'leges that's what! That'll learn 'er!"

Mac just responded with a stoic stare that seemed to tell her to just let it go. Seeing this, Applejack exhaled a calming sigh. "Yer right... as usual," she scraped her hoof along the ground, slightly annoyed. "No sense cryin' over spilled cider, I'll leave that to Dash!" she snickered. "Anyways, now'd be a good time to write that letter."

Big Mac was hoping she'd forget about that. It may have seemed a trivial thing, but even just writing the words down seemed to fill him with trepidation. Still, he might as well get it over with just to get AJ off his back. She might have been the element of honesty, but even that was second to her tenacity.

"Well..." she shooed waving her front leg. "GO ON! GET!" Big Mac turned toward the farmhouse and lowered his head showing he'd, once again, submitted to his little sister's will. Maybe that's my problem, he thought. I'm afraid of disappointing mares to the point where I just cower to them.

As Big Mac slowly made his way inside, Applejack's friends (minus Rainbow Dash) trotted up to greet her. "Hi Applejack!" greeted Twilight Sparkle. "Ready to go? I'm really looking forward to the play!"

"Play?" Applejack seemed confused. "Oh right! The play about that windy lady..."

"Lady Windermare's Fan," Twilight corrected. "I know you're not really thrilled about seeing it, but I think you might like it".

"Well, we still have to wait on Rainbow Dash, She sent one doozy of a storm earlier," Applejack was still annoyed.

"Well she'd better hurry up," Rarity chimed in, overdressed for the occasion as usual; which in this case was difficult to do. "I'm not going to look this good to only be turned away for being late!"

"Relax Rarity," Twilight reassured. "We still have plenty of time."

After a brief moment, Twilight recalled the scene she observed when they walked up. "Applejack, if you don't mind me asking, what was it you were yelling at Big Macintosh about?"

"Huh?" Applejack looked confused. "I wasn't yellin'."

"It sure looked like you were yelling..." Fluttershy quietly added.

"YEAH!" quickly exclaimed Pinkie Pie. "And not the kind of yelling that's like 'ahhh!' like you're excited to see somepony, but like 'AHHHHH' like you're ready to pounce on somepony and pound them into pieces and then pound those pieces into smaller pieces and those pieces into even smaller pieces until they are nothing but smithereens and then you sweep those smithereens into a box and mail it far away only to have it fall out and splash into the ocean NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAAAAAAIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!"

"Calm down, Pinkie!" Applejack interrupted, " 'tweren't nuthin' like that! He just had somethin' that needs doin' and I was just makin' sure he did it!"

"Well, you could have been a little more Débonnaire about it," Rarity flourished her foreleg and made an attempt to sound sophisticated.

"Oh, C'mon Rares! I've seen you snap at him plenty!" AJ accused.

Rarity gasped. "Moi?! I most certainly have not! A lady does not 'snap'. I merely and calmly correct him when he is late or misses his cues!" referring to their work in the Ponytones.

"Uh huh... and I'm an Alicorn Princess," AJ spoke sarcastically. "No offense, Twi."

Twilight smirked and rolled her eyes. A good natured argument like this is one of the things that made her unique group of friends so special. Finally, as if to put an end to this, Rainbow Dash flew in, still wearing her weather goggles.

"All right girls! Now we can go!" she greeted. "Sorry about the storm earlier, we had a lot of catching up to do."

"It's all right, Sugarcube. You only ruined two of my trees. I'll just take it out of yer cider." Applejack joked as they started walking away.

Dash's lagged behind, eyes widened, "NOT THE CIDER!"

---

Big Mac slowly made his way up to his room. With his sisters out and Granny Smith asleep on her rocking chair, he more or less had the farmhouse to himself. Normally he wouldn't mind being by himself, but tonight he just wanted to go out so as to avoid his current task. Something inside filled him with anxiety at the thought of bearing out his feelings, even if it was to just a piece of paper. He also felt like what he was doing was a mistake; like he needs to just go out and announce his intentions directly, come what may. Part of him also believed what he was doing was cowardly and no good would come from it. However, he implied a promise to Applejack that he would get it done.

Mac entered his room and locked the door to prevent any unexpected interruptions. Clearing a space off his desk, he placed a clean sheet of paper and sat down in front of it. Most ponies would write with their mouths or, if they were unicorns, use magic to write. But Mac hated the taste of erasers, especially after they'd been used. He opened the drawer and pulled out his writing bracelet. It was a simple metal band fitted to wear around his front hoof with a clip so he could attach a writing utensil to it. This made his writing far more legible than other ponies, though still not as good as Spike's. There is something to be said for having opposable thumbs. After attaching a quill and checking the ink, he was now prepared to pour out his feelings.

He sat. He stared at the paper. Then the pen. After all this buildup, he now couldn't figure out what to say. Might as well start with the greeting.

Dear ,

He crossed out her name. Even seeing it on paper filled him with anxiety. He thought it better to leave it out or start with some general greeting, at least for now.

To the sweetest, most beautiful pony I know,

There. That will work for now. But now the hard part. Mac took a few moments to think of the most romantic words to say. He thought maybe he could flatter or charm her with his exceptional vocabulary. But if he did that it might confuse her in that it contradicted Mac's personality. She might be disappointed to find him behave opposite his writing. In the end, he decided to be himself and write from the heart.

My heart can remain silent no longer. Thoughts of you have ensconced themselves at the forefront of my mind. I wake, only to continue dreaming of your radiant image. The Sun and Moon shine brighter as if only to enhance your glory. The birds of the sky are shamed by the melody in your voice. And yet, your beauty is surpassed only by your character. The mere thought of your name can embolden me to conquer the world, yet also to surrender. You make me want to achieve greater; you make me want to cower. Only you can fill me with hope and dismay simultaneously. You deserve no less than the best this world can provide and, if it will not, I will surely take it only to see your smile. My desire is to be near you, to build a love and increase it by a hundred fold the next day, and a hundred fold the day after that until the numbers themselves cease to exist. But if I am too humble, I wish only for someone greater to make you happy. If I am worthy, I steadfastly await your reply to end this torment of uncertainty.

Macintosh

"That should do it," Mac said to himself. He inspected the letter and proofread for any mistakes. Satisfied, he nodded in approval. Opening a drawer to his left, he took out an envelope and folded the letter into it. He kept it unsealed as he still had to write her name if and when he was ready to send it. For now at least, he just wrote the address on the envelope and put it in his memento drawer.

Before closing his memento drawer, he took a minute to go through it. Here he kept treasures from those close to him, should there have been an opportunity to collect. On top was Smartypants as he often took that out to take care of. There was also one of Apple Bloom's bows, one of Applejacks old hats from when she was a filly, a ribbon Granny Smith use to wear in hear mane, a well chewed toy Winona would play with, and a fragment of metal from his first yoke. He also had a few more items he collected from ponies he thought special such as a deflated balloon and bag of confetti from Pinkie, his bowtie from his first time singing with Rarity in the Ponytones, a stone carving from Marble Pie, and a few Cyan feathers left over from when Rainbow Dash would nap in one of his trees. Tucked away in a corner on the bottom was the pièce de résistance: a jewelry box containing the engagement ring he bought for Cheerilee while under the influence of the Love Poison. He spent so much of his savings to buy it and he vowed one day he would use it.

After reminiscing, he closed the drawer and locked it, keeping the key in a secret location under his bed. Satisfied, he yawned and stretched his mighty legs as he prepared for bed. With Luna's moon beginning its ascent, he figured he might as well hit the hay early. He removed his yoke, turned out the light, and crawled into bed feeling as if a tremendous weight was lifted off his chest.

"I guess AJ was right...."

A few weeks later

"Applejaaaaack!" Apple Bloom moaned. "I can't find my bow!" She darted from wall to wall, room to room frantically looking for a bow to wear. "I can't go outside without it, Ah'll feel naked!"

She wanted to meet her friends Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle in order to find new ponies who needed help understanding or getting their Cutie Marks.

"Where'd y'all leave it? Where's the last place you remember havin' it?" Applejack shouted back.

"I dunnoooo!" Apple bloom started to whine back.

"Well your just gonna have to go without it today! Ah'll have Granny getcha a new one tomorrow!"

Apple Bloom did not want to go out without it. Her bow was a part of who she was. It would be like asking a unicorn to go without her horn or asking Rainbow Dash to forget about her wings.

"I caaaan't! Don't you have any extras?"

Applejack, tired of putting up with whining that could rival Rarity's, finally capitulated. "I think Big Mac has one in his desk drawer!"

Thankfully, Big Mac got an early start to his day so he could miss the latest round of Applejack vs. Apple Bloom.

"The locked one? How am I s'posed to get it?!" Apple Bloom continued.

"LAND SAKES!" Applejack shouted. "It ain't that hard ta figure out! Mac's terrible at hidin' things. The dang key's under his bed!"

Satisfied, Apple Bloom dashed up to Big Mac's room. She never questioned why he would have one of her bows, she was just happy that he had one. She quickly found the key and rushed to open the drawer. Upon opening, she noticed the doll and some other junk along side her bow. As she grabbed the bow, she noticed the undelivered letter Big Mac had written a few weeks ago. She realized this must be the letter Applejack was talking to him about.

Curious, she opened it and started to read. "BLEH!" It was some sappy love letter. Despite wearing a bow (present time excluded of course) Apple Bloom was very much a tomcolt. She didn't like all that mushy lovey dovey stuff. She wanted to gag almost as much as she did when she tricked him into taking the Love Poison. Still, it gave her another idea on what she could do today. She quickly grabbed the envelope and the bow, then rushed out the front door to meet up with her friends.

"YOUR WELCOME!" yelled Applejack sarcastically.

---

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were already waiting for Apple Bloom in their Cutie Mark Crusader clubhouse. They had started formulating ideas on where to find ponies who needed their help and strategies on how to help them. Adjusting her newly found bow, Apple Bloom entered the clubhouse. "Sorry ah'm late girls, I couldn't find a bow."

"That's all right Apple Bloom, we were just going over how we're going to help other ponies realize their Cutie Marks!" exclaimed Scootaloo.

"Yeah," added Sweetie Belle. "You ready to go out and see who we could find?"

"Soon enough, Ah've just got one stop to make first," Apple Bloom hoped they wouldn't inquire as to the specifics of their new task.

"Where?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"Oh, I just gotta stop by the post office and send out a letter from Big Mac."

"Well, let's get going and get it out of the way!" Scootaloo replied eagerly, excited to start her day.

---

Entering the post office, The Cutie Mark Crusaders were greeted with an enthusiastic wave from their favorite mailmare. She was a gray pegasus with a light blonde mane and eyes that looked in different directions. Apple Bloom approached as she handed her the envelope.

"Howdy Ma'am, can you send this letter?" she laid it on the counter.

"Nooo problem!" the mailmare answered with glee and a salute. "I'll take care of this personally!"

Satisfied, Apple Bloom handed her the bits necessary for postage and started to turn around to be on her way.

"See, Ah told ya that wouldn't take lo- OOF!"

While trying to talk to her friends, Apple Bloom blindly bumped into Pinkie Pie.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Pinkie quickly apologized.

"For what? Apple Bloom's the one that ran into you," commented Sweetie Belle while Scootaloo helped Apple Bloom up.

"Really?" inquired Pinkie "I guess I'm just so use to the being the pony causing accidents that I just apologize out of habit! Isn't that silly..." she added with a grin and a squee.

Apple Bloom rubbed the back of her head as she got back up "It's alright Pinkie. What brings you to the post office anyway?"

Pinkie walked over to the counter where the mailmare was. "Why, I'm sending out invitations for the anniversary of Ponyville's founding next week and I'm going to throw a huuuuuge PARTY! It's not every year Ponyville gets to celebrate an anniversary! Although I guess it does and that's why it's an anniversary. But THIS anniversary is going to be suuuuuper special! I'm going to invite the Princesses, my family, I'm even going to invite The Wonderbolts to perform! And of course, I'm sending out super special invitations to everypony in TOWN!"

"That sounds great Pinkie!" Apple Bloom got an idea. She turned back to the mailmare as she figure how she could get her shy brother to meet his secret love. "Say Miss, can ah get mah letter back real quick. I just wanna add somethin'." She took back the letter and added a single line at the bottom.

If you want to talk, let's meet in town hall during Ponyville's anniversary celebration.

"Thanks Ma'am," Apple Bloom returned the note onto the counter without putting it back in the envelope. Saying their goodbyes, the Cutie Mark Crusaders left the post office to commence their plans for the day.

Pinkie got out her note, decorated with confetti and pictures of balloons, and set it on the counter. "And here's MY invitation. Be sure to send a copy to everypony in town! As well as my family, the Princesses, and The Wonderbolts! This party is going to be AAAAAAWESOOOOOOME!" She inexplicably acquired her party cannon and fired streamers and confetti all over the mailmare, causing both letters to blow onto the floor. "Oops, sorry!"

The startled mailmare picked up the letters and stacked them together. "Nooo problem! I'll take care of this personally! Everypony will get a copy!" She smiled and gave a salute to reassure Pinkie. Happy, Pinkie paid the postage, as well as a little extra for having to add a "Pinkie Surprise".

"And I hope to see you there too!" Pinkie replied before bouncing back out the door.

Author's Note:

Sorry if the love letter made you gag. I more or less just reused one I made in high school for a girl I liked.