• Published 7th Jul 2016
  • 993 Views, 17 Comments

Big Mac Writes a Love Letter - HiddenMac



Afraid to talk about his secret love, Big Mac decides to write a letter expressing his true feelings. After all, it's easier than awkwardly confronting her...

  • ...
1
 17
 993

Prologue: Unlucky in Love

Today is the day!

That's what Big Mac told himself when he awoke. The weather team, however, had different plans. Torrential rain made going outside very unlikely, for any pony. Today was to be the day he was finally going to announce his intentions; to tell her how he feels. He could no doubt brave the elements, this was too important after all, but asking her to do likewise would be an unromantic way to start their relationship. In fact, it would probably end it before it began. No, he would just have to wait.

Waiting. It seems like that's all he did when it came to love. The few times he felt he made progress getting close to a mare, he usually just ended up being a "good friend". Why do mares have "friend zones"? he occasionally thought to himself. It made no sense to him. Wouldn't you want your love to also be a friend? No, your BEST friend? And why would one look for love from somepony who was, at best, unknown? Sure, an unsuccessful relationship could ruin a friendship, but rejecting it before it starts can be just as damaging! These philosophical insights were some of the many thoughts constantly going through his head. He just didn't like "blabbering" about his feelings all the time.

Maybe his quietness is what puts mares off? Possibly. It seems like gone are the days when the strong and silent types were appreciated. Now, the most desired stallions must be outgoing and opinionated. They constantly have to stick their muzzles in everypony's business and brag about their status among society. Big Mac actually could speak quite eloquently when he so desired, he just rarely ever had the desire. That is just not who Big Macintosh was and he was not going to pretend otherwise, unless somepony else actually needed him to pretend, of course. Ponies were just going to have to accept him for who he is and, outside of his own family, few did.

It's not like Big Mac was unattractive. He could often feel the stares gazed upon him as he walked through town. He was one of the biggest and strongest stallions in Ponyville. He might, in fact, actually be the strongest as Bulk Biceps' muscles were mostly just for show. All Bulk and no use is what Mac thought of his physique. Still, Biceps was friendly and kind enough that Mac thought well of him. He even shared similar traits in that he rarely spoke. But when he did, he would scream. Usually he would scream something incorrect so everypony would think he was unintelligent. Maybe that is what they thought of Big Mac too as he usually only responded with "EEYUP!" or "NOPE!". Truth was, however, Big Macintosh was actually extremely intelligent, there is just rarely and opportunity to display his fancy mathematics. He wouldn't like to show off anyway.

Big Macintosh always felt he was unlucky in love and, now with the rain, he couldn't help but feel as if the universe actually meant for him to be alone. He let out a sigh of despair as he stared out the barn windows. They couldn't really do any work outside, but he and his sister Applejack could still barrel some cider for the upcoming season; maybe not as much as he could using the treadmill machine outside, but better than doing nothing. He figured he'd better get back to work before Applejack reprimanded him. She, like all of the females in the Apple Family, could be quite overbearing and demanding. He might as well get back to it before she yelled something like "Quit yer daydreamin', Melonhead!"

"Quit yer daydreamin', Melonhead!"

He was too late! Big Mac turned around and walked back to pick up another barrel to fill. "Eeyup," he replied morosely. Applejack could always tell what he was really thinking by the way he said his favorite replies and this was not a pleasant tone.

"Shucks, Big Mac. I was only foolin' around. You alright?" Applejack questioned.

"Eeyup!" he replied, hoping she wouldn't persist.

"Aw, c'mon now big brother. Sounds like somethin's bothering you. Wanna talk about it?"

"Nope!" he said a little louder, clearly annoyed.

"Mac, how many times we gotta go through this? Why can't ya just tell me what's goin' on?" AJ insisted.

Big Mac gazed at the floor. She was right, but he just didn't like opening up and sharing his feelings. Moreover, how could he share his feelings about his failures in love to her. Apart from being an awkward subject, Applejack wouldn't understand. She was one of the most pursued mares in Equestria. Being the ponification of honesty, her problem was telling them she wasn't interested. Still, he knew she just wasn't ever going to let things go.

He acquiesced, "Ah... just don't feel comfortable talking 'bout it... least not with family, that is." He hoped that would be enough to drop the subject and get back to work. Applejack raised an eyebrow with a puzzled look on her face. A moment later she realized what he meant and was hoping to avoid. Knowing him so well, she deduced his problem and quickly wanted to offer her solution.

"So, yer sweet on some filly but feelin' sorry for yourself 'cause ya don't know how to talk to her?" Tact was not one of Applejack's best traits. Mac blushed as she hit the nail on the head.

"Uhh..." he usually didn't say much, but rare were the times when he was truly speechless. Mac simply didn't know how to respond.

Applejack, as usual, responded for him. "Look, I'm no expert in love, but one thing that might help is to write yer feelings down. Write her a letter. Express how ya truly feel and get it off yer chest. It'll make you feel better, even if ya never send it. Who knows, she might think it's romantic. Some ponies like that sappy stuff."

Big Mac looked away in contemplation. It actually wasn't that bad of an idea. He could take his time, gather his thoughts, and express his feelings on his terms. It might be more cowardly than approaching her directly, but if she cares about him at all she would still accept his gesture for what it is. Plus, even if he didn't send it, he might still feel better.

"Eeyup!" He agreed, he would write her the letter. Applejack grinned in approval as the barn door opened.

"Golly! It's really comin' down out there!" their little sister Apple Bloom remarked wearing her rain coat, boots, and hat while holding an umbrella. "Granny says lunch is ready so get yer flanks in there!"

The three of them headed back out the door looking forward to their repast.

"Just remember what I told you. Write a letter and get all yer feelings out." Applejack reminded. Apple Bloom looked quizzically, clearly not knowing about the prior conversation.

"Eeyup!"