• Published 3rd Oct 2016
  • 3,622 Views, 149 Comments

Flames - Olakaan Peliik



Coming to the ponylands: Not Planned. Being an ambassador for dragon kind: Not Planned. Finding a better place to live where my sister would be safe: Planned.

  • ...
9
 149
 3,622

XXVI - Square One

The fire had been put out, but the damage was too great to repair easily, both kinds of damage. The City Guard had shown up to cart off the remains of the creatures I had fought. Once they were done we went to see what was salvageable.

Kii and I salvaged what we could with Niirah’s help. Most of Kii’s stuff survived. My stuff wasn't as lucky, but I still salvaged a few things to take with me, like the Fire Wolf pelt. No real surprise it was undamaged.

I wasn't exactly happy with myself. Kii and Niirah seemed okay for the moment, but I was beginning to be scared of myself. Lives, evil or not, should not be taken. The literal fact that I had their blood on my claws made my stomach churn. And losing control again? What if the fire had burned Kii or Niirah? I don't know what I'd do if that happened. But I had to keep a strong face on.

Niirah, Kii, and I were in the Embassy. Kii and I would be staying here until I figured something out. Kii was in one of the guest rooms, getting comfortable. Niirah was sitting with me.

“So what are you gonna do?” Niirah asked.

I cleared my throat. “Not sure,” I admitted. “Probably sell what's left of the property and see about getting someplace bigger.”

“Bigger?” Niirah asked.

“Yeah, someplace my sisters and I can all live together. Even Nandak when he gets back,” I pondered.

Niirah was silent a minute. “Hey, Krein. Can-”

“Krein, Kii!” Nikta’s shouts cut Niirah off. She and Alezah burst through the door and immediately sighed in relief.

“When we saw the house, we rushed right here,” Alezah explained, walking over and giving me a hug. “We were so worried!”

“We're fine.” I had a thought, better than what I was gonna do for the time being. “Do you two think you could take Kii home with you? So she doesn't have to sleep here.”

Nikta nodded. “Of course, we only have the couch but-”

“She can have my room,” Niirah spoke up.

“That isn't necessary,” Alezah said shaking her head.

“No please, I insist. I can bunk here instead,” Niirah smiled.

“If you're sure,” Alezah said, still sounding unsure about it.

“This is probably the best situation we are gonna get,” I commented.

“Okay,” Nikta finally agreed and called out into the hallway. “Kii! Come on, you're gonna stay with us for a few nights.”

Alezah and Nikta both went to gather our sister. I looked at Niirah who seemed a little shaken by today's events.

“Should I go get take-out?” I offered.

Niirah almost laughed but smiled instead. “Yeah, sure.”


Dark had fallen and the city was quiet. I was glad, but at the same time, it wasn't the normalcy we were used to. The Embassy was quiet, aside from Niirah and I finishing our meal.

“Chineighs food was a good decision,” Niirah said licking her lips after finishing the fried rice.

“Stomach agrees,” I nodded.

I had been watching Niirah carefully this whole time. Right now, she was acting cool, but she’d jumped in her seat every time one of the guards passed by.

“Are you alright?” I asked her.

“Hm? Yeah, just tired is all. I don't know if you noticed but it's been kinda a crazy day.” She stood and stretched. “I'm gonna try and get some sleep. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” I replied. I watched her go into her temporary room.


Sleep had yet to come, I kept getting flashes of me attacking those creatures, and sleep seemed pointless. I was in the very important guest suite of the Embassy. I was tired, there was no doubt about that, but no matter how long I waited, sleep seemed impossible.

Light, unsure knocking on the door caught my attention. I stood and went to open it. Niirah stood there, looking nervous.

“You should be asleep,” I said to her.

“So should you,” she smirked. I had to admit, she had me there. “I can't sleep,” she added, looking kind of sheepish. “Can I come in? Please?”

“Of course, Is something the matter?” I asked letting her in and closing the door behind her.

“Um… yeah… no. It's just earlier when those things attacked… I… I-um…” Her voice had dropped to a whisper as she began to tremble.

I sat beside her and covered her shoulders with a wing. “Hey what's the matter? I'm here. You can talk to me.”

“Yeah, I know.” She took a deep breath. “When those things attacked us when they swarmed us. There were so many of them, their eyes, so many of their eyes.” She was shaking now.

“Hey, come here.” I hugged her.

“I didn't know something so small could be so terrifying,” she muttered.

I held her close. “I doubt you're only one who feels this way.”

“Well, what about you? You didn't seem afraid in the slightest,” she stated.

“Oh yes, I was.”

She backed out of the hug. “Of what, you were stronger than them? They were afraid of you.”

“I was afraid of losing Kii,” I said. “And I…” I had to stop myself. Careful you were about to tell this dragoness that you care for her, no going back after opening that door, I reminded myself. “...and I was afraid of myself.”

“Yourself?” she asked tilting her head.

“When I attacked them, I blanked out,” I explained. “I just keep thinking what would have happened if you hadn't snapped me out of it. Would I have just regained control? Would it have gotten worse and I would I have burned all of Canterlot to the ground?”

“You were afraid of being the one to hurt Kii,” she stated.

I just nodded. Then we just sat there, for a good long time as I hugged her, and she hugged me.

“Would you like to stay here with me tonight?” I asked hesitantly. “Maybe you’ll sleep better if you’re not by yourself.”

“I'd like that,” she nodded. We climbed onto the bed, Niirah making herself comfortable under my left wing. “You don't know of any lullabies by any chance do you?” she asked as a joke.

“I do actually,” I raised Kii, I had to learn at least one.

Niirah looked genuinely surprised. “No kidding. I wanna hear.”

“No you don't, you'll just laugh.”

“Come on, please?” She gave me a pouting face.

“Fine, let me remember it real quick.” I searched my memory for the lyrics. Niirah waited patiently.

I cleared my throat and sung the song I remembered, slow and clear.

“Shadows fall,
And hope has fled,
Steel your heart,
The dawn will come,”

She smiled at the lyrics.

“The night is long,
And the path is dark,
Look to the sky,
For one day soon,
The dawn will come,

The hunter’s lost,
And his home is far,
Keep to the stars,
The dawn will come,”

She rested her head against my shoulder and closed her eyes.

“The night is long,
And the path is dark,
Look to the sky,
For one day soon,
The dawn will come,

Bare your blade,
And raise it high,
Stand your ground,
The dawn will come,”

Niirah had fallen asleep now.

“The night is long,
And the path is dark,
Look to the sky,
For one day soon,
The dawn will come.”


I awoke to the sound of low, comfortable growling. I looked under my wing where Niirah was still sleeping and I realized she was basically purring. That was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, and I could so use this against her in some way later.

“You can stop staring now,” she muttered without opening her eyes.

“Sorry,” I said as she woke up and stretched.

“Let's go get breakfast. Then maybe you should start looking for a new place?” she suggested.

“That is a good idea.” I stood up. “A shower might be a good idea as well.”

“I'll go use the one in the other room,” Niirah said leaving the room.

A thought occurred to me: if Alezah and Nikta move in with me, Niirah will need a place to stay as well. Perhaps that is a thought for another time.

I got into the shower and got cleaned up. A bit more grime than usual washed down the drain, but I suppose that is to be expected from yesterday.

Once I got dried off I headed down to my office, just to check my schedule, and make sure I had nothing planned for today.

“I leave for a little adventure, and you burn your house down?” I turned around to see Nandak sitting with another dragon whose species I didn't recognize. She resembled a cobra snake. In all her colors and patterns.

“Brother!” I hugged him tightly, squeezing him.

“Easy brother, I'm fine.”

I released him, and noticed that he had a bandaged wing, “What happened?” I grabbed his injury and examined it.

“It's just a bite.” he tried to shrug me off, but I held firm to his wing.

I finally let go. “From what? A crocodile?”

“Timberwolf.” The strange dragoness told me.

I blinked a moment. “See, that is so much worse than a crocodile. Do I need to give you a lecture? Or, better yet, a set of armor that is so heavy you will never leave again?” I asked.

“No, no. I actually wanted you to meet somedragon.” He stood beside the dragoness.

“Okay?” I was waiting for the info bomb.

“Krein, this is Klo. Klo, this is my brother Krein.”

“Your name. It is Dovah Tinvaak, it means ‘Flames’, yes?” she asked.

“It does.” I nodded. Great pleasantries are out of the way, can we get on with it?! I thought

“Krein. She and I are… together.” Nandak said slowly.

Oh boy. This should be an interesting story. “Let's go upstairs and sit for a minute and you two can explain everything.”


Viper Dragons? A very interesting race of dragons to say the least. But apparently she saved Nandak's life, so she's good in my book. I was walking with my brother and Klo, to go see our sisters. But I needed to go visit a friend first, one that I haven't visited in a while.

“You two should wait here. I'll only be a few minutes,” I instructed.

I walked up to the door and knocked. Waiting for a response took longer than usual. I heard a lock sliding, just before Fancy Pants opened the door.

“I apologize for keeping you waiting my friend. Would you like to come in?” he offered.

“Only for a moment, I need to ask a favor of you.”

“Of course.”

I walked past him, Fleur was in their living room. “Ambassadeur, we heard what happened to your house! Is little Kii alright?” she asked.

“She is,” I reassured her. “I'm actually here about the house issue.”

“How can I help?” Fancy seemed confused as to how he could help.

“I was hoping you knew of a good realtor. Somepony who dealt in large homes for, say dragons and their families?”

Fancy Pants had to think for a minute. “I'll ask a few of the ones I know today while I'm in town. Perhaps we can meet up tomorrow, you can bring the family, and I'll introduce you to another friend of mine?”

“That sounds like a plan,” I agreed.

Fleur stopped me just before leaving. “Krein, I was actually curious. If you would allow me to take little Kii to a montrer? A show? Perhaps while you are all looking for a house?”

I had to think a moment. I would like it if Kii learned some better manners. “Yeah, I don't see why not. She may want to bring her friend, though.”

“Magnifique! The more the merrier.” She walked off happily.

“I shouldn't keep my brother waiting any longer. It was good to see you, Fancy. I'll see you tomorrow.” I bowed and headed for the door.

“Have a swell day my friend,” Fancy said before closing the door behind me.


The sun had set some time ago, and dragonly friends and family alike had gathered. We were all at Alezah’s and Nikta’s. Niirah, Dwiin, and Algae even made their way here. It was a little crowded with all these dragons here in this small apartment, but we made it work.

“The giant spiders were probably the most terrifying thing on the whole trip,” Nandak said after finishing telling his story to everyone. He had written most of it down in a journal he still had with him.

“Not the Timberwolf?” Klo asked him.

“I can deal with the Timberwolf bite and Amphithere swarms. But giant spiders? No way, I'd sooner face a Hydra on my own,” Nandak said with a joking tone.

Everydragon laughed at the comment. Alezah and Nikta went back to the kitchen to finish making dinner. Dwiin and Algae were sitting affectionately close on one end of the couch, holding each other's claws. Nandak and Klo had the other end. Cala was near the kitchen sipping a glass of wine.

Niirah and I were sitting on some pillows off to the side. Niirah seemed to be making an effort to be near me for some reason. Kii was trying to help in the kitchen wherever she could with her magic, which wasn’t much.

“So Algae. How was your first date?” Niirah asked. I knew she was being nosy on purpose.

“It was lovely actually, Dwiin took me on a picnic at a local park. It was nice and quiet until those nasty Changelings showed up,” Algae said.

“So that is what they are called?” I asked.

“Didn't you read the newspaper? It went into extreme details about them. Even where they have been all this time,” Cala said, lifting up a copy of the paper. There was a picture of a changeling splashed across the front page.

I suddenly flashed back to the attack, remembering the fire in the kitchen, but quickly tried to push the memories out of my head. “I haven't gotten to it yet, I’ve been a bit busy being homeless the whole day,” I grumbled.

“Yeah, how's that coming anyway?” Niirah asked.

“Fancy Pants has agreed to assist us. He will be introducing me to a realtor friend of his. He wants all of us there to look at houses.”

“All of us?” Alezah asked pointing at Dwiin, Algae, and Niirah.

“Well, you know what I mean.” I pointed to my siblings and their mates. “All. Of. Us. Family.”

“Why?” Nikta asked.

“I'm tired of... this.” I waved a claw at my surroundings. “I want us all to be a family. One home, I don't care if we have to make it a bigger one just to fit us all.”

“Why is this important?” Klo asked Nandak curiously.

“We aren't like normal dragon families, Krein here is the closest thing we have to an elder, and he believes that us all being together is better for the group,” Nandak explained.

“Oh,” was all she said.

“I think it'd be awesome!” Kii hopped her way into the conversation.

“So are you guys up for it? All of us. One roof. Even you two when you aren't traveling,” I pointed to Nandak and Klo.

Nandak and Klo nodded. Kii was positively giddy. Nikta nodded. Alezah, however, was looking at Cala as if for approval.

“Alezah?” Kii asked.

“I-I don't know. I guess I've just gotten used to the independence that came with living here.”

"Honey?” Cala got her attention, "Why don't you go with them, help them find a place, and you can think about it?”

I knew there was a reason I liked her.

“Yeah, come on sis, just think about it,” Nandak pushed.

Alezah hesitated for a moment, thinking. “Alright, I'll think about it. But I’m making no promises.”

“I think we can accept that,” I declared. “Now. Is dinner ready yet?”

“Yeah. Pregnant dragons and younglings first.” Alezah said, pointing to Algae and Kii.

Everydragon got their food eventually and sat back in their spots; we all enjoyed the company and conversation. This, this is exactly what I was trying to accomplish with this move.


Niirah and I were back in the Embassy for the night, she had followed me into the very important guest suite again. Just to “hang out a little” as she put it. But we hadn’t spoken a word since arriving here. I was reading on some dossiers of the dragons assigned to the Wyvern Hunter crew. She was just staring at her claws, her eyes darting back and forth, seemingly having an argument with herself.

It was with the files in front of me I decided to break the silence. “Any idea who this dragon is? Vahraniik Karaak? It says here he is the detachment’s medic and research expert.”

“Dunno,” she said not looking up.

“Hey.” I tried to get her attention.

“Uh-huh,” she nodded. She obviously wasn't listening.

I stood and went over to her. I tapped her shoulder with the phalange on my wing. She jumped a little and glared at me. “Sweet spirits, I hate it when you do that.”

“Sorry, you were starting to worry me,” I said.

Niirah frowned. “Why aren't you laughing? You usually enjoy startling me.”

“This is one of the few times…” I laid down next to her. “...I don't find it funny. What's the matter? You haven't been yourself since the attack.”

She looked away. “It's nothing.”

“You gave up your bed, then you knowingly want to share a bed with me of all dragons,” I replied, ticking off my notes on my claws. “You have hardly left my side all day, and you have been so far lost in thought you might as well be on the moon.”

I paused to let the observations sink in for her. “So I'll ask again. Are you alright?”

She turned her head fully away from me and started talking to the floor. “Not really. It's like I told you last night, I'm afraid of those things. I think I see them whenever I'm alone out of the corner of my eyes. I get scared.” She hugged herself. “I'm not used to being scared.”

“Okay, is there anything else?” I pressed.

“I…” she hesitated. “I don't see things when I'm around you. I feel safe.”

“Oh.” That was a little surprising.

“That isn't even the crazy part,” she added.

“Oh? It gets better?”

“Yeah, the crazy part of all of this is, that…” She stopped and sighed.

I nudged her. “That what?”

“You’re gonna think I'm nuts,” she muttered.

I grinned. “I already think that so you can't do any more damage to that impression.” I joked.

She hit me with her wing. “I'm serious!” she scowled.

“Okay, sorry, but please just tell me what the matter is?”

“I… I think I like you,” she admitted, her face red, and embarrassed.

Please tell me she's saying what I think she's saying! I thought. “‘Like’ as a friend or-” I asked.

She cut me off. “Like, ‘Like’ like,” she said, emphasizing the word.

“Oh.” I blinked. My brain was still working on processing what she had just said.

“See, you think I’m crazy.” She looked away, obviously embarrassed.

“Actually… you wanna hear something equally as crazy?” I asked. She nodded, and I leaned down so I could whisper in her ear: “I ‘like like’ you too.”

Her face turned bright red, and she looked positively panicked. “I-I-I… um…” She cleared her throat. “Say again?”

I stood and walked over to the little mini kitchen this room had. “I've had feelings for you for a while now. I wasn't really sure about them until that morning we camped out.”

“But I was horrible to you! You've been nothing but nice to me, and I've been terrible.”

“Only when we first met. You got better.” I pointed out, getting her some water.

“Well yeah. But you’re looking for a partner for all of time! I don't think I can do that.”

“Well, then, let's not start there,” I said.

“Huh?” she looked confused.

“Why don't we start with one of those First Dates, and then go from there?” I gave her the glass of water.

“I still don't know why you'd want me,” Niirah admitted.

“Because you’re smart, free-spirited, pretty, not to mention your attitude can be just what the room needs at times,” I smiled.

She was quiet but smiled. “Well, when you put me like that I don't sound so bad.” She lifted the glass of water to drink

“So?” I nudged her.

“Okay, but how about we make it the night of the performance? After the show, we can go to dinner or something. You can plan that part.”

“Deal,” I nodded.

“But I have two conditions,” she said quickly.

“I'm listening.”

“First, can we not tell anydragon or pony? Not until we know what this is between us.”

That was fair. “Got it. And the second?”

“Can we keep sharing a bed? I'm afraid I won't be able to sleep if I’m by myself,” she said sheepishly.

“Sure, you want to turn in?”

“A bit, yeah.”

We climbed into bed. Niirah allowed herself to rest against me. I draped my wing over her once again.

“Goodnight,” I whispered to her.

“Goodnight,” she whispered back and closed her eyes.


Today was progressing particularly well. The new temporary morning routine went off without a hitch. Wished Niirah luck with her day. Then I met up with the family and we headed to Fancy Pants’ house.

Fleur took Kii to her show, it was a fashion show or something of the sort, and Kii seemed excited enough about it, though I made sure to make her promise to behave herself and to stay with Fleur. Once they had left the rest of us headed to the realtor.

“This is quite possibly the largest number of dragons I've seen in one place,” the realtor, Done Deal commented, looking over our group. Done Deal was a white unicorn with a jet-black mane and tail. He wore a business collar and tie around his neck. His cutie mark was of a signed document.

“We have one more in the group but she is at a show,” Nandak shrugged.

We all started walking toward an area of Canterlot I had only seen from a distance. The buildings were closer together, and the houses had no yards.

“So Mr. Deal, what kind of houses are we going to be viewing today?” I inquired.

“Mr. Deal brokers in a very specific kind of home. Courtyard Houses,” Fancy Said very matter-of-factly.

“Courtyard Houses?” Alezah asked.

“A courtyard house is a type of house, often a large house, where the main part of the building is disposed around a central courtyard.” Mr. Deal explained. “I have two available right now. We will see which of them you would prefer.”

“We will definitely like to see them both before we make our decision,” Nandak said from the back of the group

I nodded. “Agreed, the last realtor I dealt with was... How to put this? An idiot.”

“Well, I assure you I have been made keenly aware of your needs for space. I picked these two because they have the absolute most in Canterlot. Most ponies turn them down due to the amount of space, that is why they are still on the market.”

“Well how about we got on with it, eh?” Fancy Pants said trotting ahead with Done Deal.

We didn't get far into this district before coming to the first home. It was a three-story house, butter-white painted wood siding, and white siding. The front door was black.

“Can we have a look inside?” I asked.

“Indeed we can.” Done Deal trotted up to the door and unlocked it. That’s when we discovered that it wasn’t a door at all.

It was a gate. It opened up to an outdoor hallway that connected the entrance to a courtyard. The house surrounded the stone courtyard. Everydragon spread out to explore.

I turned left toward what I discovered was the kitchen. “Hey, Alezah, look at the kitchen here! It's huge!”

It was. Eight stove burners, two ovens, two magi-tech dishwashers, countertop space galore. And finally a walk-in fridge slash freezer. Alezah walked in and was promptly beside herself with excitement.

I moved onto the next part of the house, traveling through a dining room, living room, plenty of bedrooms on the upper floors. We all returned to the central courtyard.

“It has lots of space, but my only complaint is that the bedrooms are a little close to each other.” Nandak stated.

“I noticed that, too. Not a whole lot of space to spread out,” Alezah agreed.

“If that is your only complaint, the next house is definitely the one you want. It's older though. Hasn't had an owner in a few years and may need some repairs,” Done Deal informed us.

“I think we'd like to see it just the same,” I said.

Done Deal nodded. “Follow me, then.”


This one was only two stories tall, but its exterior was made of red brick, and the inner walls of stained redwood. It had an outer walkway that ran on the inside of the courtyard and hallways that circled the entire house on both floors.

It had a kitchen, dining room, and living room, all of them larger than the last house, and the bedrooms were spread out even more, even though there were nine of them. It even had a study with built-in bookshelves that went up to the ceiling.

The courtyard had a weed-choked garden just outside the kitchen door with a large central fire pit. Plenty of space for improvements. A planter circled the exterior of the house. Perhaps we could plant some flowers? The only issue was that it had yet to be furnished, there was dust everywhere, and a lot of cleaning needed to be done. That would be a challenge.

“This place is much better,” I commented.

“It has a wine cellar too!” I heard Alezah yell from down a set of stairs. “That's it! I'm in. I wanna live here!”

“We agree!” Nandak yelled.

“When can we move in?” Nikta asked.

Just make the decision for me why don't you? I thought. “When can we sign the paperwork?” I asked Done Deal.

“Let's find a table or something first,” Fancy suggested, brushing off his suit. “Preferably one that is not covered in dust?”

“Indeed,” I nodded.

We soon found a windowsill where we could fill out the paperwork. This house had a lot more to sign for than the last one. That or I just forgot how much there was. Looking at the price for this house, it became apparent that putting off refilling the Phoenix Account was no longer an option.

As I put the last stroke to my signature on the last page of paperwork, Done Deal smiled. “A pleasure doing business with you.” He zapped the papers away in a flash and gave me the keys.

“I do believe my presence here is concluded,” Fancy observed.

“Once we are resettled, we'd love to have you and Fleur over for dinner. If you'd like?” I offered.

Fancy nodded. “That sounds like a grand idea. Perhaps you could make an event out of it?”

I tilted my head. “How do you figure?”

“Host a party, you can show the elites of Canterlot that you are just as civil as them,” Fancy explained.

“I'll think on that. Thank you for tagging along with me my friend.” I bowed courteously. He did the same before taking his leave.

“So what now? This house is empty and we don't have beds., Nandak inquired.

I nodded. “Valid concern. Until we get some movers for Alezah and Nikta, they will remain in their apartment. The rest of us need to go get some beds.”

Author's Note:

I know where that song actually came from. Yea I know.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I look forward to seeing your comments.