• Published 22nd Mar 2016
  • 1,670 Views, 96 Comments

My Little Pony: Small Town Life - Mythic Night



A unicorn named Silver Streak moves into a new town, looking for safety from past trauma, and there he finds new friends and new experiences.

  • ...
6
 96
 1,670

Ep 1 - Moving Day

It was a warm and cloudy day as a train made its way down the tracks toward Ponyville. On board were many ponies enjoying the trip; some were on vacation, others were travelling for business, and out of them all there was one stallion making the journey to start a new life in a new town.

That stallion was a unicorn named Silver Streak. He had a gray coat and a dark blue mane and tail, both with streaks of silver for which he was named. Upon his hips, as with all ponies, was his cutie mark, a mix of blue, green, and purple swirls with several white stars intertwined in them, a symbol of Silver’s talent in magic. His green eyes looked out the window at the beautiful scenery of fields and forests that the train was passing by, a lovely sight for a pony who grew up in a busy city like Fillydelphia.

This was Silver’s third time riding the train; there was his first visit to Ponyville, during which he bought his house, then his trip back to Fillydelphia to gather his belongings and ready them for the move, and finally his current trip to Ponyville once more to move in to his new home. Before this he had never left the city, and never had reason to, until things changed.

“Attention everyone!” the conductor called into the compartment, and everypony turned to look at him. “We’ll be arriving at the Ponyville station in five minutes! Everypony leaving at Ponyville must get their luggage and prepare to disembark!”

Several ponies collected their luggage, and Silver looked up at his bag sitting on the overhead shelf. His bag was surrounded by a green aura as he levitated it down and held it next to himself. The rest of his things would be in Ponyville a few hours later on a cargo train, giving him time to relax after the long train ride.

Well, this is it, he thought to himself. I’m just minutes away from my new home, minutes away from safety. His ears folded and he shook his head to clear his mind of such thoughts, thinking instead on what life could be like there. He'd heard things about Ponyville, of fine traditions and celebrations spanning decades, AND the craziness that occasionally happened there as well. He just hoped that he would have a good life in what was otherwise a peaceful, quiet town.

Soon the train came to a stop at the Ponyville Train Station, and Silver got up with a few other ponies, all heading for the exits. With his bag floating alongside him, he trotted off the train and onto the platform, taking his first step into town as a citizen of Ponyville.

Silver moved aside for ponies making their way onto the train, and he stretched to work out the tension from the long trip. When he felt his body loosened up and relaxed, he levitated his bag and headed off the platform.

So… Where’s my new place again? he wondered as he started heading into Ponyville, wishing he had paid more attention to the layout of the town when he bought his house. He looked around, hoping to see some familiar terrain from his last visit, but sadly it was mostly foreign to him. He stopped along the road, and laid his bag before him, before he opened it and dug through for the address he wrote down.

As Silver rummaged through his bag, looking for the scroll that had his address, he never noticed the bright pink earth pony mare hopping over to him.

"Whatcha doin'?" the pink mare asked him.

“GYAH!” He jumped up in shock, startled by the question from the mare he didn’t know was there.

The pink pony grinned wide, and asked, “Oooh, are you playing the screaming game? Is it my turn?!” She took a deep breath, cheeks puffing out as she got ready to scream.

Silver winced and waved his hooves about. “No! No screaming! I was just startled…” He took a deep breath and sighed, then smiled at her. “Hi, I’m Silver Streak. Who are you?”

She smiled wide at him as she answered, “It’s nice to meet you, Silver. I’m Pinkie Pie! Hey, you’re the new pony moving into town, right?”

He frowned and looked at her in confusion. “Uh, yeah, I’m just moving in today. How did you know?”

Pinkie grinned at him, extremely happy to finally meet the new pony in town. “Welllll… I saw you the other week heading to Town Hall, and I know that most new ponies around town are just visiting, so if you were going to Town Hall then you must be doing something special, so then after you left I talked to Mayor Mare…” Pinkie gasped to take in a deep breath, “And she told me that you were moving into town, and that you were coming in from Fillydelphia, so I knew if I wanted to be the first pony to meet you I needed to check the train station every time a train arrived from that way!”

“Wait a sec,” he said as he cocked an eyebrow. “You’ve been coming to the train station every day since then, waiting to meet me?

She nodded frantically. “Of COURSE! It’s not every day we get new ponies moving into Ponyville, and every time somepony moves in I’m always there to welcome them to town!” Pinkie suddenly gasped. “Ooh-ooh-ooh! I just remembered something important! Wait right here!” She suddenly ran off, and came back seconds later pulling a cart.

Silver tilted his head. “Uh, what’s this?” he asked her, looking over the dark pink cart.

Pinkie Pie grinned. “This is my welcome wagon. It’s what I use to welcome ponies like you into Ponyville!” She went to one end and pushed a red button, which made the top of the cart pop open to reveal flags, horns, an oven, and assorted baked goods. A tune started to play and Pinkie began to sing a song.

Welcome welcome welcome

A fine welcome to you

Welcome welcome welcome

I say how do you do?

Welcome welcome welcome

I say hip hip hurray

Welcome welcome welcome

To Ponyville todaaaaaaay

Through the song Pinkie Pie danced around Silver Streak, and at some point put a party hat on his head. At the end of the song she slid over to him and smiled, hooves in the air. “Wait for it…”

He couldn’t even ask her what he was waiting for when the oven went ‘ding!’ and a two-layer frosted cake was fired straight at his face! The cake exploded when it hit him, covering his head and shoulders in deliciousness, and then he heard the sound of confetti fired into the air from the cart. He munched the cake that was around his muzzle, and smiled at the flavor.

Pinkie Pie grinned and cheered, “Woohoo! I remembered to put the cake batter in the oven this time!”

Silver wiped the cake off his head and shoulders, wondering just what else would go into the oven instead? “Well, I appreciate the welcome, Pinkie, though perhaps next time you could just serve the cake instead of launching it at ponies?”

Pinkie went “hmm…” and pulled a pencil and notepad from her curly mane before she started writing some notes, “Serve cake, don’t launch it. Got it!” She put the notepad away and went to the cart to drag it away, appearing before him a few seconds later without it. “Since you’re going to be living here, I have a few questions to ask you. I happen to be the premier party planner of Ponyville, and if I’m going to throw you the most super-duper fantastic parties then I’m going to need to know what you like!”

He held a hoof up to Pinkie. “Hold on a second,” he told her before going into his bag, and finally found the scroll with his new address. “Since I’m so new here I don’t really remember the way to my new house. If you can lead me home then I’ll be happy to answer your questions.”

She grinned wide at that. “Sounds good to me! What’s your address?” Silver hoofed her the scroll, and she looked it over. “Hmm… Yeah! I know this street. Finding your house should be easy-peasy!”

He closed up his bag after putting his new party hat in there, and it levitated next to him as he followed alongside Pinkie. “So, what’s your first question?”

Pinkie pulled out the notepad once more, pondered for a moment, then asked, “When’s your birthday?”

Silver responded, “April twelfth.”

She scribbled the answer on her notepad, “Okay, now, what’s your favorite color?”

“Blue,” he told her.

Pinkie nodded and wrote that down, then asked, “What kind of cake do you like?”

He smiled and said, “I’m quite fond of chocolate.”

She nodded and wrote that down too. “What kind of music do you like?”

He answered, “Well, I enjoy dance and punk rock, but I’m not exactly a fan of this new style, dubstep.”

Pinkie scribbled on her notepad, and smiled. “Okay… Next question; do you have any allergies I should be aware of?”

He shook his head. “Nope, nothing to worry about there.” He was rather amused at the clinical question, though he realized that if she were going to serve food at his parties then it was best not to accidentally poison him.

She smiled and made note of that, then asked, “Do you have a fear of any particular food, such as quesadillas?”

Silver stopped and turned to Pinkie, squinting curiously at her. “…What?”

= = = = = = = = = =

The pair continued this back-and-forth for a while; Pinkie Pie would ask a question, Silver would answer, then she would write the information down before asking another question. Pinkie asked about his favorite snack foods, his hobbies, and other things, until they finally made it to his house.

Silver smiled when they reached the house. "Yep, this is it,” he said, nodding. He turned to Pinkie, and said, “Thank you for your help, Pinkie. I should have spent more time getting to know the layout of the town, but I was in a bit of a rush to get a house here.”

“No problem, Silver Streak! I’m always happy to help a friend,” she replied with a wide smile, then she looked up at the house. “Hmm, small and cozy, huh?”

He looked up at the house and nodded. “Yeah, don’t really need that much space for myself.” The house was a two story structure, the front door part of a tall entryway jutting from the main structure. The second floor of the house sat at the right side, connected to the tall entryway.

Pinkie looked to the house, then Silver’s lone bag, then to Silver himself. “Uh, is that everything you’ve got? ‘Cause it’s not enough to fill a house half this size.” Her ears suddenly perked up, and she grinned. “Oooh, wait, is it a magic bag? Does it hold all sorts of furniture inside? I could totally use that for my party planning!”

Silver chuckled and shook his head. “No, no, it’s just a normal bag. All my other things are coming by train later today.”

She giggled, “Oh, okay, that makes much more sense!”

He pulled his key from his bag and unlocked the door, and he turned to look at Pinkie. “Did you want to come inside and check things out?”

She nodded, and the two headed inside. The entryway had a stairway leading up to the second floor, and two doorways at either side of the stairs leading inside. Pinkie Pie immediately started wandering about the house to explore while Silver went through the doorway into a hallway and kept on to reach the kitchen, putting his bag on a counter.

“Wow! Look at this family room, it’s so big!” Pinkie said from the large room that took up the left side of the bottom floor. “You could throw all kinds of parties in here!”

Silver went through the doorway from the kitchen to the family room, meeting Pinkie Pie in there. “Yeah, it’s pretty big. Not quite sure how many ponies I’ll entertain, but it’s plenty of space for me to relax and sculpt in.”

Pinkie nodded, “I’m gonna check out the rest of the house, okay?”

He nodded in response, looking over the living room while she explored and planned out where his few pieces of furniture would go around the room. After a minute, though, he lost his train of thought as he pondered the mare wandering about his house. She looked familiar to him, and her name sounded like one he should know… “Hey Pinkie!” Silver called out to her from the family room.

She hopped into the room and bounced over to him, “Yeah?”

He turned to look at Pinkie, and pondered a moment on what to say, before he finally spoke. “This may be an odd question, but are you famous or something? I feel like I’ve heard of you before today, but I can’t quite place it…”

Pinkie Pie went “hmm…” and rubbed at her chin. “Well, my friends and I did find the Elements of Harmony and defeated Nightmare Moon, and Discord, and Tirek too!”

Silver's eyes bulged out as he suddenly realized who she was! “Y-you’re one of the Element Bearers!” He wondered how he could possibly forget the names and faces of those six mares who had saved Equestria time and time again. They were the reason he moved to Ponyville! “I can’t believe I’m actually getting to meet one of you!”

She grinned wide. “Oooh, are we famous?”

His jaw dropped in disbelief, but he quickly found his voice. “Are you…? YES! Of course you’re famous! I read about you and your friends in the Fillydelphia Times from the defeat of Nightmare Moon, and then when you beat Discord, and then again when you defeated Tirek!”

She jumped up and cheered, “Woohoo! I can’t believe I’m a celebrity! Just wait until Mom and Dad find out!”

He watched her and shook his head. “I don’t see how they wouldn’t know.”

She gave a shrug as she told him, “They’re rock farmers, and I don’t visit as often as I should.”

“Well, that could be a good reason to pay them a visit,” he said.

“Hey, you’re right!” Pinkie giggled, “It’s going to be so much fun! Anyway, I’d better get going, I’ve got plans to make! I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

Silver nodded and smiled at her. “Thank you for your help, Pinkie. I want you to know that I truly appreciate it.”

Pinkie gave a giggle and a snort. “Oh, silly, it was no problem at all!” she said with a dismissive wave of her hoof. “And I’m always happy to help my friends,” she added. She turned around and headed to the door. “Well, I’ll see you later!” she said, waving to him before she left.

“Bye Pinkie! See you later!” Silver waved back, and she closed the door behind her, leaving him alone in his new home. He paused as he thought back to what Pinkie Pie said, a look of surprise on his face. “Wait, did she call me a friend…?” He smiled and chuckled softly, surprised at how easily he had made his first friend in Ponyville. He left the family room and started going through his house to plan the layout of his furniture, waiting for his things and the moving ponies to arrive.

= = = = = = = = = = =

A few hours later, Silver Streak was starting to get his boxes sorted through in his new home. The cargo train had come on time, and thankfully the moving ponies were quick to get his few things into the house. He didn’t have much, as he remained living with his parents until the move, so he would have to purchase furniture to fill his new home later.

As Silver made his way down the stairs to get more boxes to bring up, he heard a knocking at his door.

*knock knock knock* “Silver Streak!” Pinkie Pie called from outside.

He made his way to the door and opened it, seeing Pinkie standing there. “Hey there!” she greeted him. “Are you busy right now?”

Silver smiled and greeted her, “Hi Pinkie. Uh, I am sort of busy with my boxes, but I suppose that could wait. What’s up?”

She grinned wide as she told him, “I need you to come with me right away!”

He tilted his head in confusion. “Uh, okay. Is something the matter?”

Pinkie shook her head. “Nope! Nothing’s wrong at all! I just need you to come with me, okay?”

He shrugged and left the house, closing the door behind him. “Alright Pinkie, lead on.”

Pinkie Pie bounced down the street with Silver following close behind, watching the pink mare’s odd method of getting around. It seemed quite exhausting to him, but it appeared effortless for her, and she was obviously enjoying herself.

“Sooo… Where are we going?” asked Silver.

Pinkie giggled, “You’ll see!”

He could only shrug and trust his new friend as he followed her. He noticed them heading toward Town Hall, and he heard noise coming from that direction, getting louder the closer they got. When they got onto the main street he saw lots of commotion at the town square; many ponies were socializing and loud music was playing. “What’s going on here?” It looked like nearly everypony in town was there!

Pinkie Pie grinned wide as they got there. “You didn’t think the welcome wagon was all you were getting, did you?”

Silver turned his gaze to gawk at Pinkie. “Well I wasn’t even expecting that, so…” He gave a shrug and glanced at the ponies gathered in the town square.

“Just wait right here!” She told him before she disappeared into the crowd and reappeared at the DJ booth, which was run by a white unicorn mare with a crazy blue mane who wore large purple shades. He watched the DJ move her headphones off her head to hear Pinkie, and he saw her tell the DJ something. The DJ smiled and nodded, lowering the volume on the music as Pinkie Pie grabbed a microphone.

“Yoo-hoo! Attention, everypony!” Pinkie called out to the crowd, waving her hoof, and everyone stopped their chatter to look to the premier party planner. “Alright! So, the reason we’re having this party tonight is because there’s a brand new pony in town! I want you all to welcome the newest citizen of Ponyville. Please give it up for your new neighbor, Silver Streak!” She pointed her hoof to Silver, who stood at the edge of the crowd.

Silver saw all the ponies turning to face him, so many smiles as they waved and cheered and stomped their hooves, and he could only give a sheepish smile and wave to everypony. Before he could do anything else, Pinkie suddenly appeared at his side and led him to the DJ booth, hoofing over the microphone.

“Go on Silver, introduce yourself to everypony,” Pinkie urged him with an encouraging smile.

He gave her a sheepish smirk, took a deep breath, and looked to the crowd as the microphone was levitated to his lips. “Uh, h-hello everypony. My name is Silver Streak, and as you know, I just moved into Ponyville today.” He looked to Pinkie Pie, who smiled at him and motioned for him to continue. “I knew that this was a nice, quiet town, but I never expected to feel so welcome here.”

Silver looked upon all the ponies, so many friendly faces looking up at him, and their smiles made it easy for him to continue his impromptu speech. “I can tell that I made the right decision to move here, and I look forward to getting to know each of you in the months and years to come. Thank you all for this wonderful and unexpected welcome party!” He waved to them, and they all cheered.

Pinkie Pie took the microphone back from Silver and grinned, shooing him away to the party before she turned to face the crowd. “Alright everypony, let’s get this party STARTED!” She looked to the DJ and pointed a hoof at her. “HIT IT!”

The DJ grinned and nodded, and put a new record on the turntable before she jacked up the volume and started playing dance music for the crowd.

Pinkie left the DJ to her task as she met up with Silver again. “That was a great speech. You’re a natural!” She grinned, and told him, “So, food is there,” she motioned to a few tables with snacks and a buffet. “And the dance floor is there,” she pointed a hoof to the area in front of the DJ where several ponies were dancing. “Now go forth and mingle!” she giggled and bounced off to socialize.

“Thanks Pinkie!” Silver smiled and waved to her, before he started going into the crowd, talking to his new neighbors.

= = = = = = = = = =

Silver Streak spent about ten minutes meeting new ponies at the party, chatting with each one for a bit before going to move on to meet another one. He didn’t even notice as an important pony stepped forward to meet the new arrival.

“Hello!” the purple pony greeted him.

He turned to greet the new pony, and his jaw dropped when he saw her. Before him stood a pretty, purple alicorn mare, the Princess of Friendship herself, Twilight Sparkle. Silver immediately bowed down to her, stammering, “Puh-Princess Twilight! It’s truly an honor to meet you!”

Twilight blushed a bit and looked down to Silver. “Please, get up. Honestly I’m just a normal pony like you, well, besides the obvious of course.” She chuckled and made a motion to her horn and flared her wings while Silver stood back up.

Silver stood to face her, looking sheepish. “Surely a simple stallion like myself doesn’t deserve a visit from royalty.”

Twilight gave a dismissive wave of her hoof. “Nonsense, I’m just here as a fellow citizen of Ponyville, meeting the new pony in town. I also make sure to attend every Pinkie party I can, and it would be rude for me to attend the party and not at least say hello to the guest of honor, wouldn’t it?”

He chuckled and gave a shrug. “Yeah, I suppose so.”

Silver turned a bit, giving a sheepish smile and scratching the back of his head as he wondered what to even talk to her about, and Twilight took the chance to glance at his cutie mark. Her eyes narrowed and her brow furrowed as she looked to him with suspicion.

“That’s an interesting cutie mark you’ve got there, Silver Streak,” said Twilight cautiously. “What is your talent, exactly?”

He turned to her and smiled, unaware of her concern as he answered, “Oh, well, my cutie mark represents my talent with magic.”

Twilight went “Hmm…” as she looked him over. “I see…”

He frowned at her, noticing the suspicion on her face. “Is something wrong, Princess?”

She responded with a question, “Why did you come to Ponyville?”

He started to feel uncomfortable. “Well, I wanted to live peacefully in a quiet town where I could practice my magic without having to worry about harming ponies or damaging property. I also feel safe here, under the protection of you and the other Element Bearers.”

Twilight looked at him closely, thinking over his answers, and after a few moments her gaze softened.

Silver’s ears folded back as the unicorn began feeling scared. “Am I in some kind of trouble, Princess Twilight…?”

She shook her head and gave him a sympathetic smile. “No, you’re not. I’m sorry for being so jumpy.” She flicked her ear and added, “And please, just call me Twilight.”

He nodded, but looked at her in confusion. “What’s the matter, Pri-er, Twilight? Why the sudden interrogation?”

“Well…” she started, and gave a long sigh. “The thing is, you’re not the first magically-talented unicorn I’ve encountered, and the others weren’t so kind.”

He cocked his eyebrow as he looked at her curiously. “What do you mean?”

Twilight sighed, but explained, “I’ve encountered three unicorns previously who caused a lot of trouble for me and my friends. The first one was misguided and corrupted by a powerful relic, but she was remorseful for her actions. The second was beaten with the Elements of Harmony and became a friend, and even helped to fight an ancient evil. Finally, the third and worst of the bunch brainwashed a town and stripped the ponies there of their cutie marks, and her whereabouts are currently unknown.”

Silver looked at her with confusion and fear over the last part as he asked, “How does one even remove a cutie mark?”

“With a lot of magical talent and a unique spell,” she replied.

He shuddered at the horror of having one’s cutie mark and talent ripped out of them. “I can see why you’re concerned about me, then.”

Twilight nodded, “I know I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but I have to admit that I’ve read this story too many times before. So, having said that…” She sat on her haunches and brought her hooves up in a pleading manner, “Please please please behave yourself? I really don’t want to deal with another power-crazed pony.”

“I give you my word that I will do no harm to anyone,” Silver promised her. “But if there’s anything I can do to prove myself to you then I will gladly do so.”

Twilight grinned as an idea quickly formed in her mind. “Yes, yes there is actually. As the Princess of Friendship, I hereby order you to go out into the crowd and make some friends.”

Silver frowned in confusion. “Make friends?”

She nodded. “Oh yes. Friendship is a wonderful thing, and friends can make your life better in ways you didn’t even know were possible.”

He winced and looked away, rubbing the back of his head. “That sounds all well and good, but…” He gave a sigh, and looked back to Twilight. “I have to be honest, Twilight; I have basically no experience making friends. As far back as I can remember I have dedicated my life to the study and practice of magic. The few friends I do have were gained through a shared hobby.”

She smiled in response. “All the more reason to try, don’t you think?” When she saw him shrug, clearly unsure of himself, she frowned and asked him, “Silver Streak, what do you know about me?”

Silver looked sheepish as he said, “Well, aside from finding the Elements of Harmony, defeating threats to Equestria, being Princess of Friendship, and living in Ponyville? Not much…”

Twilight chuckled softly, “You’d think as the personal student of Princess Celestia I would have been more well-known than that, but oh well.”

“I take it there's more than that?” he asked.

She nodded. “It wasn’t long ago that I was very much like you are, Silver Streak. I dedicated my life to study and didn’t see the need for friends. When Princess Celestia told me to go to Ponyville in preparation for the Summer Sun Celebration and make friends, I didn’t think friendship was important.”

Silver chuckled. “I guess you were wrong there, huh?”

She grinned and nodded. “That’s right. As you know, the friends I made helped me find the Elements of Harmony, and each one of us represented an aspect of harmony. With our friendship and the Elements, we defeated Nightmare Moon and returned Princess Luna to her normal self. After that I learned all kinds of things from my friends, and did things I never dreamed of before.” Twilight smiled as she thought back to all the adventures she had with her friends. “It was thanks to their unique personalities and ideas that I grew as a pony, and went on to become an alicorn and earn my place as Princess of Friendship.”

“Any chance making some friends could make me an alicorn too?” he asked with a small smile.

Twilight giggled and shook her head. “Probably not, no, but I do hope you understand now why it’s so important to have friends of all kinds. Go out there, make friends, and become a better pony.”

Silver nodded and smiled. “I will, Twilight, I promise. Before that though, there’s something I need to say.” He bowed before Twilight, and looked up at her. “I wanted to thank you and your friends for protecting Equestria time and time again. I can’t imagine what the world would be like without you all.”

Twilight blushed a bit and smiled sheepishly down at Silver. “Your thanks is appreciated, but not necessary.” She motioned to him to rise. “Anypony would have done the same.”

“Not anypony could represent the aspects of harmony, though,” he replied as he got up. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, Twilight, I will do what I can to follow your orders and make some friends."

She smiled and waved to him as he walked away. “Good luck!”

= = = = = = = = = =

Silver wasn’t at all confident in his ability to make a single friend, let alone a group of them.

He had gone around making small talk with several of the townspeople, telling them a bit about himself, and learning about them in return, but he didn’t feel like he was making much progress towards Twilight’s request to make friends.

How do I even make a friend? he wondered. Every one of my friendships were started by others. He started to think it was hopeless, until he turned and saw her. She was an earth pony mare with a yellow coat, a long and wavy orange mane and tail, and deep blue eyes. Her cutie mark depicted a chocolate bar and a wooden spoon.

Silver watched the mare talking with another pony, oblivious to him at that moment. She’s beautiful… he thought to himself as he watched her for a few long moments. The conversation between this yellow mare and the other pony ended, and she turned to spot Silver gazing at her. She looked at him a moment before she smirked and waved at him, and he felt his face heating up as he waved back.

Well, here goes everything, Silver thought as he took a deep breath and headed over to the mare. She smiled and stepped forward to meet him halfway. “Uh, hi there,” he greeted her. “I’m Silver Streak, though, uh, I guess you’d know that from my little speech, huh?” He rubbed the back of his head with a sheepish smile.

She giggled at that. “Indeed. My name is Sunshine, and it’s a pleasure to meet the guest of honor.” She reached her hoof out to shake his.

He returned the hoofshake and shrugged. “Guest of honor for a party I hadn’t even expected,” he replied with a smirk. “Is this sort of thing normal?”

Sunshine grinned and nodded. “Oh yeah, and you’d better get used to it. You now live in Ponyville, home of Pinkie Pie, and she’s a pony who’s ready to throw a party at any time of day for any occasion.”

He chuckled at that, “Well I’ll admit it was a nice surprise. The fact that so many ponies would attend a party just to welcome me to town is amazing. It’s a lot different than Fillydelphia.”

“Oh, you’re from Fillydelphia? This must be a huge change for you then,” she said. “What’s it like over there?”

He thought about it for a bit, then told her, “It’s pretty busy over there. Fillydelphia is a major city with a lot of ponies. There are a few parks there to relax at, but otherwise it’s hard to find somewhere quiet.”

She nodded. “Was that the reason you moved to a town like Ponyville?”

“I had a few reasons, actually,” he told her. “Though I must say that peace and quiet was a part of my decision to move here.”

Their conversation was cut short when they heard a pony calling out from above, “Sunny, there you are!” They looked up to see a light blue pegasus mare hovering overhead. “Guys, she’s over here!” she called out as she waved to other ponies in the crowd before landing next to Silver and Sunny.

Silver saw a red earth pony mare and a green unicorn stallion come through the crowd, and both looked relieved when they saw Sunshine standing there. The pair trotted over to make for a friendly group of five ponies.

The stallion spoke up, asking Sunny, “Why’d you wander off? You said you wanted to chat with somepony, and then a few minutes later you’re nowhere to be found.” He motioned a hoof to the crowd as he told her, “We spent the past ten minutes going through this crowd looking for you!”

Sunny blushed and gave a sheepish smile, rubbing her foreleg. “Yeah, well, I found another pony I wanted to talk to, then another… It’s been a while since I socialized properly, okay?” She turned away, her ears folded back and muzzle scrunched up in embarrassment.

The red mare giggled at Sunny and grinned. “You’ve got to get out of your shop more often, Sunny.”

“Sooo… Friends of yours?” Silver asked her, motioning to the trio of newcomers.

“Hmm?” Sunny’s ears perked up and she turned to look at him, then her face lit up in realization. “Oh, yeah! These are all my friends!” She motioned to the trio, and turned to them. “Why don’t you all introduce yourselves?”

“Hi there! I’m Frostfire, but you can just call me Frosty,” said the pegasus mare. She had a messy red mane and tail which contrasted with her light blue coat, seemingly giving the mare her name. She had purple eyes, dark freckles on her cheeks, and her cutie mark depicted a notepad and pencil. Frosty had saddlebags hanging at her sides and a camera around her neck.

“Hello, and welcome to Ponyville! I’m Strawberry Jewel, but everyone just calls me Jewel,” said the earth pony mare. She had a red coat and her wavy mane and tail were purple with orange streaks flowing through them. She had light blue eyes, and her cutie mark consisted of a blue stethoscope and pink baby rattle. Overall she was a very pretty mare, though Silver’s attention was pulled away by the third pony speaking up.

“Hey, I’m Mystic Spiral. You can just call me Mystic,” the unicorn stallion told him. Mystic had a green coat, and a short black mane and tail, as well as a small black beard on his chin. His eyes were orange, and his cutie mark consisted of a red electric guitar. “So, you’re the reason for this party, huh?”

“Uh, yeah, I guess I am,” Silver replied with a sheepish grin. “I was just telling Sunshine here that I wouldn’t have expected this kind of welcome in Fillydelphia.”

“You’re from Fillydelphia?” Mystic asked, eyebrows raised in surprise. “Why would you leave a busy city like that for a boring, quiet town like Ponyville?”

“Well, there are a few reasons, actually,” Silver told him. “One of those being that I can practice magic around here without causing any property damage.”

Jewel frowned, ears folding in concern when she asked Silver, “Are the spells you’re going to cast really that dangerous?”

He looked to her and told her, “Not normally, no, but there’s always the possibility of something going wrong when casting an unfamiliar spell for the first time. Now, having said that, I would like to try my hoof at creating new spells, which will require some trial and error.” He grinned, and added, “Fortunately, no one’s going to get upset if I leave a crater or two in a field outside of town.”

“What kind of a job involves practicing and experimenting with magic?” Sunny asked as her ear perked up.

“Oh, that’s just a kind of hobby of mine, a lifelong dream to become a great and powerful wizard. My actual job is, erm, well, not exactly a job, per se…” he responded, a hoof rubbing the back of his head.

Mystic Spiral looked at Silver with a dull expression. “And that means what, exactly?”

Jewel frowned and swatted Mystic on the shoulder. “Be nice! I’m sure he was about to tell us!”

Silver chuckled as he saw Mystic rub at his shoulder, his brow furrowed at Jewel. “I make my bits as an artist, using my magic to make sculptures from blocks of wood or stone.” He smiled proudly at the group as he continued, “I’m fairly successful in Fillydelphia, selling my sculptures to private collectors.” He gave a shrug as he told them, “So, it’s not exactly a job, but it is something.”

Frosty perked up at that, “Ooh, an artist? Do you have any of your sculptures over at your new house?”

Silver shook his head. “No, no sculptures at all, though I should have some photographs of my work I could show you later.” He gave a sheepish grin, “Whenever I finish unpacking and actually find them, that is.” He looked to the four of them, “What about you guys? What do you do for a living?”

Sunny spoke up first, telling him, “Oh, well, I own a chocolate shop called Succulent Sweets. I sell lots of different chocolates, from simple chocolate bars all the way to truffles. You should stop by sometime!” She grinned, obviously quite proud of her shop.

“I’ll be sure to do that,” Silver replied, smiling at Sunny before he turned to look at Frosty. “And what about you? You’re carrying around a lot of stuff there. Are you a photographer?”

Frosty chuckled and shrugged. “Well, that’s part of my job. I’m actually a reporter for the Ponyville Express. I always keep a camera and notepad with me wherever I go, just in case a story breaks!” She gave him a sly grin as she said, “And I’d say you’re a story. Perhaps after we’re done here you wouldn’t mind doing an interview for the paper?”

Silver smirked and gave a sigh. “I suppose I’ll have to, considering my move to Ponyville caused such a commotion.” He looked to Jewel next. “So what do you do?”

Jewel smiled as she responded, “Oh, I’m a midwife who works at Ponyville Hospital. It can be hard work, but it’s worth it. I do so love helping pregnant mares and making sure their foals are born healthy.”

“That sounds like a very rewarding job,” Silver said, and then he looked to Mystic. “Guess you’re the last one.”

Mystic nodded. “Well, I work at the post office as a mail sorter for my day job. Beyond that, I’m the guitarist and leader of a band called Restless Harmony. We’re a rock band with aspirations to leave this small town and play concerts all across Equestria.”

Frosty gave a snort and rolled her eyes. “Yeah, we’ve been hearing THAT from you for the past couple years.”

“Hey!” Jewel retorted, glaring at Frosty. “They’re talented, they’ll definitely make a name for themselves, just you wait and see!”

Frosty mumbled an apology to Mystic, and Silver looked to him with a smirk. “I’m guessing you’ve been at it a while?”

Mystic brushed through his mane as he gave a sigh. “We’ve been working our way to actually auditioning for those big-name record companies. We have a plan, and we’ve been following it so far with good results.”

“Oh?” Silver looked at Mystic curiously. “And what’s this plan you’ve got?”

“Well,” Mystic started, “first step was to find like-minded ponies who were talented in music. Second step was to work on our skills and coordination. We’re currently on the third step, writing out songs and practicing together.”

“Sounds like you’re doing well then.” Silver glanced over at Frosty before he looked over to Mystic again. “From what she said though, you’ve been at it a while?”

“Yeah, we have,” Mystic said, giving Frosty a look before he continued, “but it’s for a good reason. The thing is that we want to have a lot of good songs ready to go before we attempt to get a contract with a record company.” He gave a thoughtful look up at the night sky, and asked Silver, “Do you know the worst thing that could happen to a band?”

“Uh, never making it big?” Silver guessed, wondering where this was going.

“No, the worst thing is being a one-hit wonder,” Mystic answered, pulling his gaze from the stars to face Silver again. “If we never make it big, that’ll suck, but at least we know we tried. The one thing we all agreed on was that we did not want to make it big, only for everypony in Equestria knowing us for one song.” Mystic shook his head in disgust, “Lots of popular bands and singers have their fan-favorite songs, but a band that has a one-hit wonder goes into the spotlight for five minutes and then fades into obscurity. Those bands are left tormented by the thought of what could have been.”

“I never thought about it like that before,” Silver admitted. “When you put it like that, it does sound pretty terrible. I can’t blame you for taking your time.”

“So,” Frosty started, “getting onto topics not revolving around Mystic Spiral here…” She stuck her tongue out at Mystic with a smirk, and turned to look at Silver. “I saw you talking to Princess Twilight a bit ago. What did she have to say?”

“Oh, well…” Silver blushed a bit as he remembered the reason he started talking to Sunny to begin with. “She welcomed me to Ponyville, and ordered me to make some friends, which is… Eh-heh, why I started talking to Sunshine to begin with.”

Sunny giggled at that. “Is that so? Well, fancy that! You came over to make a friend, and now you’ve got four!” She grinned as the others nodded in agreement.

Silver was shocked by that. “Really? You already consider me a friend?” He looked among them with wide eyes as they gave him warm smiles in response.

Jewel giggled, “Well sure, Silver! You’re a nice stallion, and we’ve all enjoyed your company.” She looked around to all the ponies still partying, and turned back to Silver. “Assuming you don’t need to go out and mingle some more, then I’m sure we’d all like to get to know you better.”

He looked around at the crowd, and gave Jewel a sheepish smile. “As much as I’d like to hang out with you guys, I feel like I should at least try to talk to everypony here.” He glanced over in the direction of the buffet table, and chuckled as he added, “Plus, that buffet table is looking really inviting right now.”

“Hey, I’ve got an idea!” Sunny said with a wide smile. “Why don’t we all go bowling tomorrow night and talk more then?”

“Bowling?” Silver asked hesitantly, seeing the other three ponies all nodding in agreement to the idea. He held back a sigh; He was not eager to humiliate himself in front of his new friends, but if they all wanted to play, then who was he to say no? He put on a smile and nodded. “That sounds good, sure. What time?”

“How about seven-thirty?” Sunny offered. “I close up shop at seven o’clock, so that would give me time to freshen up before heading out.”

He nodded and smiled, and looked to the others. “That sounds good, everyone agree?” When he saw them all nodding and muttering in the affirmative, he looked to Sunny. “I guess that’s the plan then.”

“Oh, wait!” Frosty spoke up, and they all looked to her. “You still owe me an interview!” she told Silver with a grin.

Silver sighed and nodded, giving her a smirk. “Alright, let’s go find somewhere quiet to talk then.”

Frosty smiled and led Silver away to a more quiet area, and the other three watched them trot away for a few moments before they began chatting about the newcomer they had just befriended.

“So, he seems nice!” Jewel said, looking to Sunny and Mystic for their opinions.

“I guess he was pretty cool,” Mystic chimed in, giving a shrug.

“He’s got a cute butt,” Sunny said, then gasped and quickly brought a hoof to her mouth as she realized she had been thinking aloud. Jewel snorted and started giggling, while Mystic looked at Sunny with disgust.

“Sunny, ew!” Mystic shook his head and rubbed a hoof at his temple. “I really don’t want to think about another stallion’s anything, thank you!”

Jewel’s giggling grew into full-blown laughter at Mystic’s reaction. “Y-you’re moving kinda fast, aren’t you Sunny?” she teased the yellow mare.

Sunny’s cheeks lit up in a deep blush, unable to look her friends in the eye. “What? No! I’m just—I mean…” She sat hard on her haunches and crossed her forelegs. “I’m allowed to look at stallions, aren’t I?” she huffed and looked away in embarrassment.

“I think I’m going to grab some punch,” Mystic said, getting up and turning toward the buffet table, clearly uncomfortable with the subject at hoof.

Jewel perked up at that. “Ooh, get me a glass too!”

Mystic waved a hoof back to her as he trotted away, and Jewel turned back to face Sunny. Sunny had stopped blushing by this point, but still looked sheepish.

“Silver Streak IS handsome,” Jewel said with a grin, “but I was hoping for your opinion on him in general.”

Sunny brought a hoof to her chin, going “hmm” as she thought, before she finally spoke up, “Well he DOES seem nice, but kind of shy as well.” She frowned as she remembered their conversation. “He didn’t seem all too enthusiastic about the idea of bowling, did he?” she asked.

Jewel shook her head. “I suppose not, but it could be he just doesn’t enjoy bowling. The fact that he agreed to it shows that he does want to spend time with us, though.”

“You’re right,” Sunny agreed. “We’ve just got to get him out of his shell, and let him be himself.”

= = = = = = = = = =

Silver yawned as he made his way home, feeling tired after all the excitement of his unexpected welcome party. He made sure to stuff his face full at the buffet table after his interview with Frosty, and after that he made a small speech thanking everypony for attending the party before excusing himself due to exhaustion.

It wasn’t too long before he reached his new house, unlocking the door and trotting inside. He closed the door behind him, and glanced at the stairs as he pondered bed, but decided on another task first. A lot had happened on his first day, and he knew his parents back in Fillydelphia would want to know all about it.

He looked through the boxes still in the family room, searching for a short while before he found a quill, ink, and parchment. The supplies levitated above him as he trotted tiredly into the kitchen and stood at a counter. He thought back to the events of the day, and dunked the quill into the ink before he started writing his letter.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I’m writing to let you know that I’ve made it to Ponyville safe and sound, with everything I had sent over from home. It’s going to take me a few days to get settled, but at least I didn’t have all that much to bring over anyway.

The ponies of Ponyville have been so kind and inviting. One of the Element Bearers, Pinkie Pie, actually waited by the train station to greet me when I made it to town, and she threw me a huge welcome party with nearly all the citizens in attendance. I’m honored to call her a friend, and whenever you two come to visit I’ll be happy to introduce you.

While I was attending the party, I actually met Princess Twilight Sparkle! She told me that she used to be just like me, focused on study above all else, until she came to Ponyville and met her friends. Princess Twilight told me that without them, she never would have become the Princess of Friendship.

After Twilight spoke to me of the virtues of friendship, she ordered me to go and make some friends, and I’m happy to report that I managed to make four friends today at that party. They all seem nice, and they want me to go bowling with them tomorrow night.

I’m not fond of bowling, but I do like these ponies, and I want to get to know more about them. I also don’t want to upset Princess Twilight by ruining this chance at friendship. I just hope I don’t humiliate myself too much with my awful skills! I’ll write about my new friends in my next letter, I just wanted to send this one out quick so you know I’m alright.

I love you, and I hope you don’t miss me too much already. Let Winter Gust know that I’ll be sending him new sculptures in a couple weeks, after I’ve gotten settled and found new supplies to sculpt from.

Also, tell Swift Wing I said hello.

Love,
Silver Streak

Silver yawned wide and left the letter and writing supplies on the counter, knowing he’d have to wait until morning to send the letter anyway. He left the kitchen and headed to the entryway, before going up the stairs to his bedroom.

His bedroom was pretty basic so far, just a bed, lamp, and a few boxes strewn around. He grumbled as he fished out the bedsheets from one of the boxes, and used his magic to get the sheets, pillows, and blanket set up on his bed. When he was finished, he moved the blanket aside and crawled into bed, about ready to pass out.

He used his magic to flip the switch on the wall and turn off the lamp, engulfing the room in darkness, and the weary unicorn quickly drifted off to sleep.