• Published 22nd Mar 2016
  • 1,670 Views, 96 Comments

My Little Pony: Small Town Life - Mythic Night



A unicorn named Silver Streak moves into a new town, looking for safety from past trauma, and there he finds new friends and new experiences.

  • ...
6
 96
 1,670

Short 5 - The Lovey-Dovey Romance Party

That evening, Sugarcube Corner was a hub of activity as Pinkie Pie hosted a party dedicated to the love shared between two of her many friends. A banner hung from the center of the room, showing a crude drawing of the couple in question, with a big red heart between them. It was somewhat embarrassing to Silver Streak, but his beloved Sunshine seemed to take the party in stride.

Pinkie had come along that afternoon for more chocolate, and he’d taken the opportunity to tell her of their relationship. She seemed excited at the news, and congratulated them both, before she ran off saying something about “getting things ready.” Sunny had told him to get ready for a party, but he had assumed she was only teasing.

Obviously he’d been wrong, as this modest party proved. Their friends had all come, and Pinkie had invited a few of her friends as well, including Princess Twilight Sparkle. Said princess couldn’t help but giggle at Silver’s discomfort while Sunny was off talking with Jewel. “I’m guessing you weren’t expecting a party?”

“Not really, no,” he admitted. “I mean, Sunny warned me, but I thought she was just joking around…”

Twilight chuckled and shook her head. “If there’s one thing you should know about Pinkie Pie, it’s that she’ll throw a party at any time for pretty much anything. Two of her friends falling in love would be a reason to celebrate.”

“It’s kind of embarrassing,” he replied. “I mean, I love Sunny, and I’m thrilled that we’re dating, but to have a party celebrating that…?”

“Trust me, you’ll get used to it.” Twilight sipped her punch, looking around. “Not too many ponies around here,” she observed. Aside from their separate groups of friends, there were only a few other ponies mulling about.

Silver shook his head. “I’ll admit, I’m still not as sociable as I should be. Aside from the friends Sunny already had, I haven’t really gone out of my way to make new friends with the other citizens of Ponyville.”

“Well you should try,” she replied. “You don’t need to make everyone in Ponyville your friend like Pinkie has, but you should make the effort to expand your circle of friends. Who knows, the next pony you meet could be your new best friend!”

“But I already have a best friend,” he replied, looking over at Sunny as she laughed with Jewel.

“Aww,” said Twilight, smiling at the sweet notion. A thought occurred to her, and she said, “You know, it’s nice that you and Sunny have become so close, but have you been spending personal time with the rest of your friends?”

“Personal time?” he asked, confused by her question.

“What I’m asking is, have you been giving the rest of your friends some one-on-one time?” she asked.

Silver thought back to the times he spent with his friends, and frowned when he realized most of those occasions were spent as a group. “Well, I guess I haven’t… Most of my time with the others have involved group activities, or small talk at the chocolate shop,” he replied sadly. “I guess I just fell back into the habit of keeping to myself…”

Twilight was understanding as she said, “It can be difficult, breaking old habits and changing your ways. I know I still struggle with that myself from time to time. Still, it’s important that you go out and spend individual time with your friends; group activities are fine, of course, but nothing beats the bonding experiences from spending one-on-one time with a friend.”

He grimaced, feeling disappointed in himself for seemingly ignoring his friends. “I didn’t realize I was being such a bad friend. I promise I’ll be a better friend, and make time for each of them.” He sighed and said, “Why is this friendship stuff so hard? It seems like it should be easy to be a good friend, and to make new friends, but…” He shrugged helplessly, not sure how to speak of the difficulties he felt.

She smiled as she patted him on the shoulder, and told him, “I know how you feel. There’s so much to learn about friendship that it can be overwhelming at times, but you must not give up on it.” She glanced over to Sunny and smiled. “Just look at everything you’ve gained so far from the friendships you’ve forged already, and think about all you could gain by making even more friends.”

Silver smiled thoughtfully, and nodded slowly. Twilight continued, telling him, “Just do your best, be yourself, and you’ll find that friendship comes easier than you think. And if you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to come see me, okay?”

He nodded again. “Okay, Twilight. Thank you.”

She smiled and nodded, then motioned to the room and said, “Now, I want you to go out there, meet some new ponies, and make plans with your friends. But also make sure to enjoy yourself; this party is for you and Sunny, after all.”

He grinned. “Make friends and have fun, got it.” He turned and trotted off toward Sunny, who was talking with a cream-colored earth pony mare. “Hey sweetie, who’s this?”

Sunny smiled and introduced the mare in question. “Silver, this is Bon Bon. She owns a candy shop in town. Bon Bon, this Silver Streak, my special somepony.”

“Hi there,” he greeted her. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise!” she replied.

As the two talked, Twilight watched with a warm smile, glad to see Silver taking her advice to heart. He had a lot to learn about friendship, just as she did, but she was confident that he would be just fine.