• Published 18th Mar 2016
  • 932 Views, 32 Comments

Changeling Father - rainbowtiger00



What if the very thing you flee from is what saves you in the end?

  • ...
3
 32
 932

Shadows rose In The Night...

“Ah, yes. The changelings.” Princess Celestia said, her face turning grim. All eyes were on Inkwell. “I was wondering if you could tell these three.” She waved her hoof at Princess Luna, Fancy Pants, and Fleur de Lis.

“Why you support them.” Inkwell looked at Princess Celestia with her one eye. Her normally cheerful face had turned thoughtful. For a few moments, she stared. Then she smiled.

“All righty. Of course I will. But first.” Inkwell scooted her chair closer to the table. “You'll have to listen to my story.”

Fancy Pants scooted his chair, closer. He placed his hooves together, and rested his chin on top of them. He had heard many stories from Inkwell back in school, and was eager to hear another. Fleur de Lis settled herself more comfortably into her chair. To an outsider, she would appear interested and composed.

But to those close to her, knew that in her eyes held a slight twinge of annoyance. For Fleur de Lis was far too kind to ever let another pony know that she didn't want to her them talk on and on. Princess Luna raised an eyebrow at Inkwell, but said nothing and simply nodded her head. Princess Celestia, however smiled gently at Inkwell. Whatever Inkwell was doing, Princess Celestia knew exactly what she was doing.

The toad croaked its eyes bugling out, and its stomach intimating a balloon. Then it returned to normal. Inkwell cleared her throat. “Well, I was just beginning my career at teaching at Princess Celestia's Gifted School for Gifted Unicorns.” Inkwell gave Princess Celestia a slightly annoyed glare.

“You really need to shorten the name. Anyways, the higher grade students really wanted to take their spring break to Mafrica. They were about twelve to fourteen. But none of the staff wanted to. So, I said that if they worked really hard, and did their best, I would take them there.

And every single student did their very best. I was very proud of them all. As spring rolled around, we went to Mafrica by royal chariot. Quite the experience to see all those ponies walking below you like ants. And the jungles.

Like a sea of the highest quality of emeralds. We stayed at a resort for two weeks when something happened. A twelve year old student saw a rare creature in the jungle and ran off into it. I volunteered to go after her, and told the rest to stay there and do not go into the jungle. After the student I went, using my reporter ways to find the general direction she went.

And it worked, cause I found her tracks right away. But as I followed them, the heavens opened, and a torrent of rain poured over the jungle. No surprise there really, at it was a rain forest. But I needed to take shelter. Fast.

I was rather naive about the jungle. So I went into a cave mouth that served as a doorway. Well, one fat you really need to know about rained on cave mouths that do not have proper fillings in their cracks. They collapse. And that's exactly what happened to me.

All those rocks fell onto me as I passed under them.” The waiter interrupted by placing a basket full of bread onto the table. His eyes were closed, so he did not see the toad. The bread was the exact kind of bread that Fleur de Lis had described outside of the restaurant. Fancy Pants levitated a slice, and bit into it.

It was buttery, with a few hints of garlic. The crust was crunchy and flaked under his teeth. The inside was soft and chewy. The waiter next brought a thin, large, brown platter filled with five dishes. His eyes were still closed.

One was a sandwich filled with purple-bluish irises, lettuce, and tomato. He silently placed this dish in front of Princess Celestia. The waiter took the next dish on the brown platter in his hoof. It was a buttery roll stuffed with egg, peppers, tomato sauce, and a pinkish odd substance that Fancy Pants didn't recognize. Princess Celestia did, and grimaced slightly.

“Seriously?” She quietly whispered. “You ordered meat in your roll?” Princess Luna rolled her eyes, and stared irritably at Princess Celestia. “Tia, just because Unicorns, Pegasi, and some Earth Ponies don't eat meat doesn't mean Bat Ponies can't.

They do eat it, and they enjoy it. I've eaten many of their dishes, and they are good.” Princess Celestia just shook her head slightly in awe as she stared at the dish. Fancy Pants scratched his head. “What's meat?”

He whispered to Fleur de Lis. She grimaced. “You really, really, really don't want to know. Trust me Fancy Pants, you don't.” The next dish was placed in front of Fleur de Lis. It was a salad of lettuce, pink and yellow roses, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, and blueberries.

The last two dishes were two bowls of creamy tomato soup, spiced with black pepper, and thyme. Each bowl had baked pieces of bread called croutons floating on top, and was served with a slice of plain bread with a fancy design. The waiter placed one dish in front Fancy Pants. He then opened his eyes, and took the other. The last dish was very slowly placed in front of Inkwell.

As the waiter placed the dish in front of her, he glanced at her funny as if she were about to suddenly jump onto the table and sing a rowdy yodel. Inkwell smiled at him. Then as his hoof moved from the dish, he saw the toad. The toad made another croak.

The waiter made a very unpleasant face, and visibly flinched. Princess Luna desperately covered her mouth to smother her smirk. Fleur de Lis's face contained the look of one being torn from slight displeasure to the desire to lie on the floor, laughing uproariously. Princess Celestia was looking at Princess Luna with a face that read. “Really?”

Princess Luna glanced at Princess Celestia, and caught an eyeful of her face. She straightened, and made a face that was supposed to like a regal face, but looked more like Princess Luna was competing at the 'Make the most silliest face ever competition'. Princess Celestia rolled her eyes, and face hoofed. The waiter batted at the toad with a hoof. The toad blinked.

The waiter flinched. He clearly was disgusted, but wasn't about to say so to the Princesses of Equestria. The waiter's clear discomfort was getting to Fancy Pants. He bit his lower lip in order not to laugh. This face was clearly funny, because it just made Princess Luna's face even more silly as she strained to keep her composure.

Inkwell just began to eat her soup, lifting each spoonful of the steaming red soup to her mouth. All this time, she had been smiling pleasantly at the waiter and the toad. Princess Luna, at this point trying everything it took to not laugh, attempted a graceful swig of her drink. Just as she did so, the waiter batted his horn at the toad, dangerously close to the toad's eyes. The toad, blinked, then opened its mouth.

Its long, sticky, tongue stuck onto the waiter's forehead. The waiter's eyes bugled with horror, and his mouth dropped open in a silent scream. Princess Luna's eyes bugled, and in one swift move, spit her mouthful into the waiter's face and laughed uproariously. Inkwell laughed with her. Fancy Pants giggled hysterically, and Fleur de Lis chuckled.

Princess Celestia only sighed, and glared with annoyance at Princess Luna's lack of composure.

Author's Note:

This was inspired while eating my own bowl of tomato soup. A fancy, uptight waiter would not react well with a toad. At all. Ah Inkwell. You give me so many choices for comedy. Too bad I can't put comedy on this story as well with sadness. Poor Princess Celestia! Composure while out in public is important to her. And yes, Princess Luna will eat meat, because her Bat Pony guards are omnivorous. They do eat plants and berries, but also eat meat on a daily basis. Princess Luna once ate one of their dishes out of politeness, and found that she really enjoyed the taste.