• Published 16th Mar 2016
  • 1,229 Views, 151 Comments

The Horror of Happiness - CrackedInkWell



Sometime after the Changeling invasion and before the events of the Cutie Map, Starlight Glimmer's village was once visited by a monster.

  • ...
4
 151
 1,229

Chapter 15: Party Favor’s Newest Letters

The doctor was in his kitchen, although he already had breakfast, he was finishing with the broth on the iron stove. He was removing the boiled vegetables and herbs from the pot and into a cup where he placed some of the vitamins that he was trying to dissolve. Once this was he crushed the pills and stirred it until the liquid was clear, he picked up the cup and some of the rationed water down to the basement.

As he expected, the first thing he noticed as he came down the stairs was the pungent smell that was coming from the chamber pot. Looking into it, he commented, “Urine is a little too yellow… fesses liquefied.” He went over to the feeding tube and put a hoof over the hole, Lovejoy sighed in relief, “But still breathing. Now then Mr. Trek, time for breakfast,” the old stallion said as he put a spout over the mouth of the pipe and proceed to pour the broth into it. There was a gurgling, coughing sound as if the hornless unicorn had just been woken up.

“Well, good morning to you too,” he said pouring the ration of water. “Let me just collect your waste and I’ll be on my way.”

But before he could wrap his magic around it, there was a knock that came from the front door. “What?” Lovejoy looked upward in confusion, “Already?” He looked down at the salty mound, “I’m afraid that I have to come back later.”

The doctor trotted up the stairs, through the kitchen and into the Living Room to this front door. There he found a blue unicorn on his front steps, “Party Favor? What are you doing here so early?”

“Forgive me for coming here on the last minute,” Party apologized, “But something’s come up that… I just really need somepony to talk to.”

“By all means, come right in,” the elderly stallion waved a hoof as his guest entered, “I just finished breakfast. Could I interest you in some tea or-”

“No thank you, doctor. It’s just that I have a lot on my mind that I was hoping you would help resolve a private matter.”

“I’ll do what I can,” Lovejoy sat on the couch, in which the younger stallion took up the other end. “So, Party Favor, what’s been concerning you?”

“Well, do you remember when I told you that I have a secret admirer? The one that’s been giving me notes for a while now?”

The doctor shrugged, “A little, why?”

“Well, ever since Hidden Trek went off, something interesting happened.”

Lovejoy raised an eyebrow, “Oh?”

“Well you see, on the very night he left, I got a note that compliments me as usual, right? Well, not an hour later, I got another note again, only this one was tear-stained. As if that pony was crying their eyes out saying that, whoever it was, is afraid that they’ve lost me now that they’re paired up now. It was so out of place when you think about it. One note was as happy as can be and the other was heartbroken. So, I looked at them closely, and I noticed something interesting.”

“Yes?”

“They have different hoof-writing,” Party explained, “Which means-”

“It means you have more than one secret admirer.”

The younger unicorn shook his head, “Not quite, it means that I think I’ve figured out which one those letters belong to. I think the tear-stained one is Sugar Belle’s. But as to the other… I have no idea. It’s been keeping me up at night, I mean, on the one hoof, I’m surprised, if not flattered that I have two mares that like me but-”

“Excuse me, Mr. Favor,” the doctor interrupted, “Can I ask you a serious question?”

“What?”

“Now, I don’t know how you’ll feel about this, and I’m trying to upset you if it does. Yet, I think I need to point something out that I think you really need to consider here.”

Party Favor tilted his head, “What do you mean?”

The doctor coughed for a moment before saying, “Ask yourself this, how do you know if this other admirer is even a she?”

“What makes you say that?” Party wondered, raising an eyebrow.

“Mr. Favor, as I said, I’m not trying to offend you, but when it comes to these things, you have to open up to that possibility that maybe, and is only a maybe mind you, that perhaps this other anonymous letter could belong to a stallion in the village. Perhaps it is a mare, but what I’m really asking here is how do you know if this other letter belongs to a mare?”

Party’s mouth opened and closed several times, “I… I don’t know. Doctor, I really don’t know. I just assumed-”

“I’d be careful with assumptions if I were you. Because sometimes in life you’ll find something that will turn everything you once thought about something is transformed in a new light. But I’m afraid we’re getting off topic. You were saying about what’s been really bothering you?”

“Uh… Yes,” Party cleared his throat, “For the past week-and-a-half, I’ve been trying to figure out what to do. I mean let’s face it, I’m caught in a love triangle that I wasn’t aware of until recently. So I guess you could say that I’m at a loss at what to do. As much as I respect Starlight, I don’t think she’ll really help with the situation. I mean, do I go talk to Sugar Belle about it or do nothing until my other admirer comes out to the open about this? For really Doctor Lovejoy, I don’t want to break any hearts when I don’t mean to. Besides, I’ve been thinking what if this other pony, would she (or as you point out, he) might be a better choice than Sugar Belle? What if I break her heart? What if I break the other pony’s heart? Doctor, I don’t know what to do.”

Lovejoy leaned back in his seat, eyes closed, and a hoof under his chin in thought. “The ye old Romantic in me says to go right ahead and try to contact both of them to confront the issue head-on. But reason tells me otherwise. If I were you, I wait until I gather up some more information about the issue before laying out a plan. For it is better to know what’s in the fog than to charge head-on without knowing what’s in it when it comes to matters of the heart, Mr. Favor, it’s best to know fully all the parties that are involved.”

Party Favor thought over the old stallion’s words, “But what about Sugar Belle? What if Hidden Trek comes back before I could find out who this other pony is?”

“I don’t know, but I have feeling that you’ll have all the time in the world to figure things out before hoof. Have I been any help Mr. Favor?”

The younger unicorn got off the couch, “I… I think so,” he turned to head out the door, but paused as a thought came to his head, “Say doctor Lovejoy, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Have you ever been in love?”

Eyebrows and ears perked up when the old stallion heard this, “Sorry?”

“Did you ever have a special somepony in your life?”

Lovejoy coughed a few times before he could answer, “Only once. But we concluded that it wouldn’t work out anyway. I’m married to my job anyway.”

“Oh, okay, thanks for talking with me.”

“You too, remember, if you needed a friend to speak with, you know where to find me.”

Party smiled as he exited through the door.

Dr. Lovejoy returned downstairs and did empty the chamber pot before returning it to its rightful place. Afterward, he went upstairs to his room and opened a trunk by his bed. Moving some of the books and personal belongings aside, he reached out for the book at the very bottom, his Book of Memories.

Sitting on the bed and with the pages in his aura, he flipped to the near start of the book to a particular page to look at one of the photographs. Putting his hoof on the page, he caressed the image, “At least you were happy,” he muttered to himself.