• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 2,456 Views, 104 Comments

Dear Twilight Sparkle - Penmore



After three months of silence, Twilight finally receives a reply from Princess Celestia.

  • ...
8
 104
 2,456

A Letter from Filthy

"There was an accident…"

"An accident Granny? Wait… you don't mean…"

"Charles isn't coming back Autumn… My boy, your husband, is gone."

Autumn didn't immediately react; she just looked at Granny Smith to her stomach. To the daughter that her husband blessed her a few months before his trip to help the farm expand distribution. Before he left he promised to write whenever the chance presented itself, she had received countless letters. They were about the progress he and Filthy Rich were making with establishing further distribution. About the small fights and arguments, he had with Filthy when matters didn't seem reasonable. The complaints about delays receiving her replies and news of the family. The biggest news that came from one of the letters though was his mention of another reason he made the trip. He wanted to get enough bits to pay for the wedding they couldn't have all those years ago.

When Charles had taken over the farm, he poured every last bit he had into restoring it to working condition. Autumn had given him her savings as well to help out and while there were times they went without much on the table it was well worth it. They had built the farm back up, and several branches of the Apple family came to help with the rebuilding. The wedding they had all those years ago was simple, with only Granny Smith and preacher present near his father's grave. It was all he could afford at the time, and he always regretted not letting her have the dream weddings she had talked about when he proposed.

Now that plan was gone along with Charles; it was just another nail in the coffin of her dreams. Dreams of a happy and whole family, about spending the rest of her years with the stallion she loved. Watching their children grow and make something of themselves. Of seeing her husband hold his second daughter for the first time. All of it was gone in an instant because of events that she could do nothing about. Her tears flowed down onto the blanket covering her shaking body. She cried alongside Granny Smith as she rubbed her second daughter and tried to reassure her as she kicked. The poor filly would never get to meet her father, never get to hug him or hear his voice. Never see him face to face or have memories of him to speak of in the future. She cried for her daughter as she would now be denied all of that in her life.

"How?"

Granny Smith wiped a tear away and presented a letter to Autumn. Autumn took it in hoof and read silently the events to rob her family of a great father, husband, and son.

Dear Apple Family,

It comes with severe regret to inform all of you through a letter that there has been a horrible accident. Charles, my best friend, has met with a tragedy as we were coming back from the Griffonstone. There was a fire in the engine room of the airship, and an emergency landing was to be done immediately. The fire had started making its way towards the passenger rooms and spread quickly as everypony tried to evacuate to the front of the ship for pegasi to help lower them to safety.

All of the passengers before were able to get off safely until an explosion rocked the ship and knocked several ponies overboard without assistance. Charles and I were among them; I had regained my senses only to watch as Charles dove to save a foal that had gotten launched further than the rest. He managed to save the foal, but there were not enough pegasi to carry the both of them. Know that even in his last moments he stood firm in his belief of helping others. He threw the child to the closest pegasus, and that was the last I saw him alive as he fell into the ravine. I have never in my life regretted being born an earth pony more than I did at that moment. Knowing that I could do nothing as he fell will haunt me for years to come. I apologize for being unable to bring him back safely to all of you.

We were able to locate him and are now in the process of preparing the moving him from Griffonstone to Ponyville. I have already made several arrangements for the funeral and will cover all expenses. We shall arrive within the week and once again I am truly sorry for being unable to do more than this.

Your friend,

Filthy Rich

Autumn smiled as she cried when she read of his selfless act. It was just like him to put others before himself. It was a trait she had fallen in love with when they first met, but now more than ever had she wished he was a bit more selfish. She knew it meant that it would mean death for a small foal, and that was an awful thing to want. But, if that wish alone would let her husband come back safely, let her hear his laugh, and hug her once more; then she wouldn't hesitate to make it.


Twilight listened as Granny Smith recounted the events of that day. She listened in silence and cried when Granny reached the part about the letter. To have lost their father so young was something she couldn't comprehend as her father was still alive and in her life. The thought of him never being there from the beginning caused her to feel the heartbreak even deeper. There was nothing she could say or do to make it better as Granny finished her story.

Granny Smith passed a hoofkerchief to Twilight as she wiped the last tear from her eye. She started to clean up the plates as Twilight tried to compose herself. Once the dishes were washed and put away, she finished the last touches on dinner and let them cool. When Granny sat back down Twilight gulped down a glass of water she was presented.

"I'm sorry about that Granny, I just… I'm sorry for asking you about what happened. I'm so sorry."

"It's ok dear; enough time has passed for me to cope with the loss and it does me good to let it out every once in a while."

Granny Smith continued telling Twilight about the funeral and the countless ponies that had shown up. The impact her son had on the community as a whole, the speech Filthy had given and the words shared by Big Mac. It had come to surprise once again that Big Mac had been able to say what he did at the funeral. She, once again, didn't picture him as one to do what he did; that is until recent events came to mind about his protective nature. This is probably where it stemmed from, and grew into what it was today. While everything Granny told Twilight was touching and informative, it left out one of the most crucial part. A part such as Autumn's fate and why A.J was avoiding talking about her.

"What of Autumn? What happened to her?"

Granny Smith looked at the clock on the wall and got up to prepare dinner as Twilight waited for an answer.

"I think that's enough for today Twilight. I'll tell you the rest tomorrow morning, for now, can you please fetch the others for dinner? I need to set the table for all of us while you do so."

"Oh… ok then, I'll get them, Granny Smith."

As Twilight opened the door, she tripped over something blocking the way, when she turned to see what had caused her to trip she felt all the air escape her body. There in light of the kitchen she saw Applebloom crying as she looked at her and ran off. Before Twilight could go after her, she was once again blocked by somepony. This pony, however, was not towering over her, but that didn't make them any less threatening. Twilight looked up from rubbing her muzzle into Applejack's eyes, eyes full of rage and disappointment.

"I trusted you Twilight. How could you?"

It was all Twilight heard as A.J ran off in the direction Applebloom disappeared. Leaving her dazed as to what just happened and what it all meant for her and the friendship she had with A.J. If there was even still a friendship to speak of after all of this.

Author's Note:

Another day, another chapter. This chapter wasn't supposed to be done until sometime next month, but I just felt like writing it immediately. I felt that the last one was left somewhat loosely, I wanted to write more about all of this, but somehow it just didn't really come to me as it did for the beginning. That being said, I plan on making the next chapter longer than 2,000 words so please look forward to it.

As always thank you for taking the time to read my story, Please leave a comment or critique below as any critique helps me get better. Have a great day!