• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 2,456 Views, 104 Comments

Dear Twilight Sparkle - Penmore



After three months of silence, Twilight finally receives a reply from Princess Celestia.

  • ...
8
 104
 2,456

Understanding Circumstances

Dear Twilight,

The week that you have planned to visit us is the same week of your brother's graduation. We will be picking him up before leaving to visit you in Ponyville. I know we agreed that you'd be coming to Canterlot but your father and I want to see the town where you've decided to stay. We'll be there in about two weeks so look forward to us coming with your brother to see this new place you have for yourself. We can't wait to meet all your friends and spend some time with you. All our love to you and Spike.

Mom & Dad


"Spike when did this arrive?" Twilight asked as she put the letter down on the nearest desk.

"I woke up and found it in my basket. I guess they must have sent it pretty late."

"So that means I might need to push back the week I'll be spending with Fluttershy in case they want to stay longer. That's fine, I'm sure she'll understand if I tell her. It is family after all."

She walked towards the door and levitated her saddlebags on her back while opening the front door. "Spike, if Rarity comes to ask where I am, tell her I went to talk to Fluttershy and I'll head to the boutique afterward." She said before walking out the door to head for the edge of town where Fluttershy lived.

"Sure thing, Twilight. Anything for you." Spike replied as the door closed.

He took a moment to see if she'd come back and collected the letter she left behind. As he put it away with the rest of the letters in the storage room he took a moment to look towards the area where any letters from the Princess were kept. He stared at the unopened letter he had received at the same time as the one from Twilight's parents; he took it and opened the letter only to scowl as he read it.


It took Twilight only fifteen minutes to reach Fluttershy's house. It was a wonder how the shy pegasus would be brave enough to choose to live near such a dangerous forest as the Everfree, yet, be scared of her own shadow if it towered over her. She crossed the bridge and stood in of the door ready to knock only to stop as she a crash coming from behind the house. As she turned the corner, Twilight found herself speechless as Fluttershy was seemingly attacking a bear three times her size.

She watched the scene as she wrestled the giant to the ground and then cracked it's neck leaving it motionless on the ground. Twilight sprang forward and levitated the yellow attacker away from the corpse.

"Eeeep!" Fluttershy cried; caught unaware in a lavender wave of magic.

"Fluttershy! What are you doing?! Why did you murder this poor animal?"

"Oh, my..." Fluttershy responded as her body was turning around in the air due to the magic. "Twilight, I think you have the wrong idea. I would never harm any of my furry friends. That's especially true for Harry. I was just giving him his monthly massage; the poor dear has so much stress towards the end of each month built up."

As if on cue, the bear slowly got up and stretched his arms; grabbing hold of his yellow caretaker and setting her on the ground. He dusted her off and Fluttershy hugged him before he left to return to his home at a nearby cave.

"Oh... sorry about that. I didn't know that was a thing you did. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions." Twilight's ears folded back and she looked away in embarrassment.

"It's ok, Twilight. No harm was done at all. Though, next time, please warn me before using magic on me like that. If you don't mind that is... and only if you want to."

"I will, I promise. Thank you, Fluttershy."

Fluttershy smiled and sprang into the air. She floated inside through one her windows and came back out with some tea for the both of them. She set it down on a table that was located just behind her house.

"I hope you like chamomile." she said, serving the both of them a cup. "Was there anything you wanted to talk to me about Twilight?" she asked, placing the full cup of tea in front of Twilight as she sat down.

"It's lovely Fluttershy and yes I did want to talk to you about something. Though I can't stay long as this week I start spending time with Rarity." she sipped her tea and smiled as it filled her body with warmth.

"Oh, of course. I do hope everything goes great for the two of you."

"Thank you. Now, as for the reason for my visit. It's about the week I'm supposed to be spending with you."

"Oh yes! I'm so looking forward to it. I can't wait for you to come visit, it's not every day that I get guests. I have so much planned for us to do that I can barely contain myself with how fun it'll be." she said with a smile.

"About that... you see the week I'm spending with my folks is before that and they've decided to come here instead. They're brining my brother so it's going to be a full family type deal."

"I didn't know you had a brother."

"Yea, he's my BBBFF."

Fluttershy looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "BBBFF?"

"Big brother best friend forever."

"Oh! That's adorable. So is there something wrong with them coming here?"

"Well, that's just it. I was planning on visiting them in order to keep things within schedule, but with them coming here it messes that up since they might plan to stay longer. In which case, I came here to tell you that I might need to push back the week I'll spend with you if it does happen."

"Oh..." Fluttershy looked away for a moment and sipped her tea. "That's ok then... I understand."

"You do?! Great! I knew you would Fluttershy." Twilight got up and hugged Fluttershy who returned it in kind. She drank the rest of the tea and set down the cup before gathering her bags. "Well, that's all I wanted to say in regards to me being here. I'll let you know if there's a change in plans. Sorry that I can't make more concrete promises right now.

"No, no, it's fine Twilight. Family comes first after all. I understand completely; I'll just move something aside in case that happens." Fluttershy said with a tone softer than she had been using upon arrival. Her demeanor seemed to have changed and yet she still had a smile on her face.

"You are ok with this, right? Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy looked at her in surprise but replaced it with a warm, small smile. "Yes, don't worry about me Twilight. I'll see you when you come for our time together. I'm sure it'll be fun even if it's pushed back a week."

Twilight smiled back and turned towards the front of the house and eventually Rarity's boutique. She left with the feeling that things were going to be this time around and that she wouldn't do anything to jeopardize her friendships anymore. As she continued past the bridge and down the road she failed to notice the yellow pegasus watch her leave with a sullen expression.

"It's for the best. I can't compete with family, I mean, we barely know each other and I don't blame her for not wanting to spend time with me." Her mane covered her face as she looked at the ground and walked slowly back to the table. "Nopony wants such a failure of a pony as a friend anyways."

She grabbed the dishes and went inside to dump them in the kitchen sink. As she flew to go back outside she stopped by her fireplace mantle and grabbed two tickets that lay on top of it. She took a minute to stare at them before ripping them in half and throwing them away. As they fell into the bin she flew back out and continued about her day with no one but her animals once more.

Author's Note:

Just a chapter explaining some things before the next arc starts. Rarity is up next and I am not looking forward to it. Frankly I've said it before and I'll say it again. I suck at writing Rarity, the personality, the words she'd use, the dramatic expressions. All of it just makes me feel exhausted before I even begin to write her. Regardless, I chose to write her as the next arc because of these reasons. I need to get better at such things and she'll be the perfect training ground. The original chapter I had before the other laptop died was a bit shorter and had nothing similar to this at all. I feel this chapter is better than that one, though, I'm still upset on losing so much work.

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please leave a comment or critique below as any critique helps me grow as a writer. Have a great day!