• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 2,455 Views, 104 Comments

Dear Twilight Sparkle - Penmore



After three months of silence, Twilight finally receives a reply from Princess Celestia.

  • ...
8
 104
 2,455

Cafe Au Lait

"So where to first Twilight?"

The night prior to Twilight taking Sweetie Belle to get the town better was filled with stories about Rarity and the many customers she had. Being the biggest gossip in the town it seemed like she truly knew things before they started. Sweetie Belle was enraptured by the details that Rarity told about the ponies. The more exciting parts were toned down to her being too young and she didn't understand some of the situations. Nonetheless, she was spending time with her sister and enjoyed every minute of it.

Twilight on the other hoof, simply nodded her head as the stories continued. She had asked questions here and there only to receive vague answers or no answers at all as Rarity was simply talking about rumors. She didn't pay them any mind and would sometimes make gestures towards Sweetie Belle when Rarity was beginning to get into the more mature rumors.

They went to sleep early in order for Twilight and Sweetie to leave early and explore Ponyville. It also allowed Rarity to get some much needed rest before truly beginning the time with Twilight and her sister. She had stayed up late to finish the orders prior to Twilight's arrival and was glad it had worked out after all. Just before they left Rarity remind Twilight once more about her promise and to be back before sundown.

"Well, Sweetie Belle, I think we should look around the shops first. Then we can visit the park and the schoolhouse where you'll be going soon. Then we can visit the library and the market last before returning to the boutique."

"Sounds perfect! Why the library though?"

"Well, what kind of tour would it be if I didn't show you the greatest building of any village, town, or city? Besides, I can introduce you to a potential friend. He's my number one assistant."

"Wow... how great..." She rolled her eyes at the mention of a library being so important. "What's your assistant's name?"

"His name is Spike."

"What kind of pony is he?"

"Let's just say he's not like anyone you've ever met."


"Twilight?"

"Yes, Sweetie Belle?"

"Can we go now? We've been in this place for an hour now. We still have a lot of other places to go."

"Oh! I'm so sorry. I guess I got caught up in all the different styles of quills they have here. Plus, I kind of need a new sofa of my own. The ones the place came with are a bit too stiff."

They left the shop known as the Quills and Sofas after Twilight spent an extra ten minutes placing a bulk order of standard pointed nib quills. Twilight would later come back to complain that the quills she'd receive were instead broad nib quills. It would go down as one of the shop's most difficult time due to her lecture of the differences between each type of nib which would last for three days due to being constantly interrupted by sofa purchases.

The pair headed down the road and briefly stopped by the shops in order to know them for future reference. The clock shop; owned by a stallion obsessed with the inner workings of the intricate devices. The flower shop; run by three mares that reminded them of Rarity for some peculiar reason. The postal station with the only employee being a very friendly, yet oddly clumsy, yellow maned mare. Every shop and building greeted them with a friendly hellos and a warm goodbye as they continued through the town.

"Twilight, I'm a little hungry. Is it okay if we get something to eat?"

"Of course. I know, let's stop by the Sugar Cube Corner. They have some amazing cupcakes. It'll also give me a chance to say hello to Pinkie Pie. It feels like I haven't seen or spoken to her in ages. Well, all things considered, I guess I haven't..."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, sorry about that. Just remembering something I'd rather not think about."

The Sugar Cube Corner! Originally just a bakery owned by a stallion known as Pan Cake during the time Ponyville was first expanding. It was named simply as the Baked Bakery before he left it to his only son Carrot Cake who would later close it down due to renovations. Once the renovations completed, Carrot Cake would move in with his wife Cup Cake and renamed the place Sugar Cube Corner. He put forth original recipes for all kinds of confectionery treats with the help of his wife who, like him, was a master patisserie. They offered unprecedented first class service to any and all costumers.

However, during the time they were trying to expand their business by accepting custom orders and competing in contests to spread the word of the shop. A lone pink mare came along to help them in their time of need. She had traveled far and wide spreading joy everywhere she stopped until she reached their shop. Upon tasting one of their newest creations, it was love at first bite. She applied for the job and realized quickly that, with her parties and their pastries, anything was possible!

"Uh, thank you Pinkie. That was extremely informative for all of us. Though, I only asked how you were doing." Twilight was standing by the entrance to the shop with Sweetie Belle hiding behind her after the pink mare shot through the air at their arrival.

"Oh! I'm great! Have a seat anywhere, I'll be right with you!"

"We will, thank you again Pinkie." Twilight watched the mare return to the register as she and Sweetie took a pair of window seats. "Are you alright Sweetie?"

"Yea... I forgot how full of energy Ms. Pie is since it's been so long."

"Just Pinkie please!"

"Ahhh!!" They both screamed as the Pinkie Pie appeared next to them without any warning.

"So, what can I get the two of you?"

They took a minute to compose themselves before looking at the menu. Sweetie Belle ordered a Blueberry Tart and Twilight had the slice of Strawberry Cheesecake. They both ordered a Cafe Au Lait for the drink.

"Roger Dodger! I'll be right back with your order." She left the same way she had appeared which left Twilight and Sweetie wondering if she wasn't secretly a unicorn.

"So, where should we go next?"

"Ooo, can we go to the schoolhouse next? I want to see if any pony is still there that's going to be in my class!"

"Of course we can. I was just about to suggest that as I still haven't met the teachers. I might not be one myself, but in case they need any help with assignments or tests I can lend them a hoof."

"Here you go girls!" Pinkie once again caught them unaware as she set down the plates and drinks for them. "Let me know if you need anything else! Oh and I'll see you next week Sweetie Belle."

"Me? Why's that Pinkie?"

"For your; Welcome to Ponyville Party silly."

"Didn't you throw one for me already?"

"No, that was your; Have Fun Visiting Your Sister Party."

"Of course... how silly of me."

"Oh and Twilight?"

"Yes Pinkie?"

"Remember your promise to Rarity, okay?"

"Of course... wait, how did you know about that?"

The entrance bell rang as another customer stepped inside the shop. Pinkie smiled as she left the two of them to eat and ponder as to how she knew about something that only happened yesterday without anyone else around.

"Let's not think too much about it Sweetie Belle."

"Okay..."

Enjoying the cakes and leaving a tip, they said their goodbyes to Pinkie and headed towards the schoolhouse. It was already mid-afternoon and the foals and fillies had headed home for the day. The path was devoid of anypony as they came to the crossroad leading to the place of learning. Sweetie took a look at the other path that led to a small gazebo and saw a filly sitting down inside its shade. Twilight began walking towards the schoolhouse only to stop as she noticed her charge taking the other path.

"Sweetie Belle? I thought you wanted to see where you'll be studying?"

"I did, but look over there." she pointed towards the shadow who was hidden by the sun's light. "I think that's somepony that might be in my class. You don't mind if I go say hello do you?"

"Well..."

"Please?!"

"Okay, I guess it wouldn't hurt. You at least know how to get here for when you're ready to come."

Walking towards the gazebo, they came closer to the pony sitting underneath it. It was a filly with an orange coat and purple mane and tail. She seemed to be hunched over and looking at the concrete. Small water stains forming beneath her. As they approached they noticed somepony else coming to the gazebo.

"Sweetie Belle, wait." Twilight brought the filly back to her side with her magic and watched as the new pony came closer.

"Fluttershy?"

The yellow mare had come to the gazebo and sat down next to the filly. She wrapped a wing around the shaking figure and the filly's crying could be heard in full form. A minute passed and Fluttershy left with the filly down another path.

"Uh, Twilight? Can you put me down now?"

"Yea... Huh? Oh! Yes, of course. Sorry about that Sweetie Belle."

"It's okay." she said as putting her hooves onto solid ground. "Did you know that older pony Twilight?"

"Yea. That was the friend Rarity and I are going to visit. I'm sorry Sweetie Belle but I'm afraid the tour needs to be cut short. I need to talk to your sister about something."

"Awww! I didn't even get to meet Spike yet!"

"Next time. I promise."

They headed back to the boutique as the sun began to set. Twilight was left with questions as to why Fluttershy had been there. Who was the filly that was crying? Why had Fluttershy comforted her? Was she there by pure coincidence or were they related in some way? Again, she was faced with too many questions and not enough answers. She hated being in a situation she couldn't break down properly.

"Sweetie Belle? Do you know the way back home from here?" Twilight asked short of crossing one of the bridges leading back to the center of town.

"Yea, I do. Why?"

"Tell Rarity that I'll be a little late. If she asks say that I went to pick up ingredients for dinner okay?"

"Okay."

Twilight turned around and ran back towards the gazebo. Heading in the direction she saw Fluttershy and the filly leave.

"I'm sorry Rarity. I just have to know what is going on."

Author's Note:

Another chapter down. I'm starting on the next one immediately so I can have it down before the end of the month. I write this story as it comes to me. I tried to do a whole brainstorming session for every chapter but it just ends up completely different every time. This chapter is another example of that same process. Look forward to the next chapter soon!

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please leave a comment or critique below as any critique helps me grow as a writer. Have a great day!