• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 2,790 Views, 25 Comments

Unimpressive Scraps - An Unimpressive



A collection of discarded drafts of published work.

  • ...
1
 25
 2,790

Twilight's Destiny (abandoned fic)

Twilight couldn’t believe her ears. Like everypony else, she’d heard the rumblings and rumors all over Equestria about her “destiny” coming up soon, and although she assumed that Princess Celestia would simply reveal whatever it was at the appropriate time, if there was anything at all, she hadn’t paid much attention to the whisperings. Ponies liked to talk.

“A… coronation of a princess? And it’s my destiny to attend?” Twilight whispered. On the fringes of her vision as she sat in a trance in her library, she saw her friends preparing some elaborate, Rube Goldshanks-esque device Pinkie had constructed in the blink of an eye to splash water on her face and snap her out of it. “My destiny…”

Rainbow Dash shouted, “Okay, go!” but before Pinkie could comply, Twilight jumped up.

“Okay!” she said, startling all her friends who had been staring at Twilight staring into space like an empty puppet for the past fifteen minutes. “I know we all got invitations to this… coronation. And I know that a lot of rumors have been coming from Canterlot about my ‘destiny’ awaiting me here. And this invitation seems to confirm it.” Twilight, again, looked at the invitations they’d all received, urging them to come to Canterlot, where Twilight would “discover her destiny.”

“Oh no,” Fluttershy said, floating over to Twilight on soft wings, “does that mean you’ll be a princess? And you’ll have to leave us forever?”

“Oh, don’t be silly, Fluttershy,” Rarity said, leveling her glasses. Rarity had been mid-design when the girls had come to snatch her up to go to Twilight’s. “I’m sure that even if Twilight became a princess, she’d find time for all of us.” She smoothed Fluttershy’s mane, fixing a few split ends, then glanced up at Twilight. “Wouldn’t you, Twilight?”

“Y-yeah,” Rainbow Dash said, trying unsuccessfully to hide a slight lip quiver. “Twilight wouldn’t just leave us! I mean, princess or not, she’s still our friend!”

Applejack and Pinkie, as well, gazed at her with varying amounts of concern. Everypony knew that being a princess would be a lot of work.

“Yeah,” Twilight said at last. “Of course we’d still be friends.” As the six ponies embraced, a seed of doubt grew in Twilight’s heart. Would she be able to still spend time with her best friends in Ponyville if she had the duties of a princess? Running Equestria was a lot of work, to see Princess Celestia dash to and fro. If called upon to fulfill her duties as a friend and as a co-ruler at the same time, which would win out?

There, amidst the warmth of all her friends, Twilight felt a pit of ice growing within her. “Of course we’d still be friends,” she whispered, worry climbing within her.
***
“I’m so glad you could all make it!” Princess Celestia cried upon seeing Twilight and her friends enter the palace, which had been done up in festive colors, with banners all around for the upcoming coronation. Unlike the Royal Wedding, there was no threat from within or without, so although Shining Armor and the Royal Guard were standing by, everypony on the palace staff, including Celestia herself, was determined to show the world the joyous part of Equestria, when it didn’t have to worry about invasion. Party streamers replaced spear-wielding guards, and the sunny warmth of citizens’ smiles stood in for a barrier to protect from woe.
“Why, it was our pleasure, Princess,” Applejack said, removing her hat and joining the others in a quick bow.

“I’m particularly glad you’re here, Twilight,” the princess said.

Twilight felt the worry that had gnawed at her the entire train ride over growing to parasprite levels. What was this destiny she had to fulfill? What wasn’t Princess Celestia telling her? “Y-yes, Princess. Of course I came, after reading your invitation…” Twilight tried to let a less-than-awkward smile light up her face. Unlike the normal joy that came from seeing her beloved mentor and teacher, only apprehension lurked behind the false smile she presented. This wasn’t like being called to stop Discord. Then, she had had a clear idea of where to go, what to do, and what the danger was.

This time, she didn’t know anything, and if there was one thing Twilight Sparkle could not stand, it was not knowing something.

Princess Celestia, of course, read her like a book. A gentle smile lit up the radiant ruler’s face. “Oh, Twilight. I can see you’re worried. I suppose I can’t blame you after that invitation. Don’t worry: everything will be explained in time. You’ll get used to how things are about to change.”

Twilight’s face fell. “H-how things are about to change?” she muttered, feeling heat all around her as her friends and Spike gathered close.

Princess Celestia’s enigmatic smile offered no answers. In that moment, she was the very picture of the Pona Lisa, just as she had modeled her famous diplomatic face for the famous painter centuries ago. “It’s late, Twilight. You should all get some rest. I promise, everything will be explained in the morning.”

***

Alone in her old room in the castle, Twilight felt worry silently gnaw at her. She paced back and forth, gazing out the huge window at the night sky.

[The rest of the story would have consisted of Twilight freaking out and then finding out that the one to be crowned and alicorned was a rule 63ed Prince Blueblood. Sorry, those of you who suggested this idea. I'm not going to be able to finish it. This story was inspired by Blueshift's The Last Stand of King Sombra. I wanted to try pre-empting canon in a similar ludicrous way, but it never came to pass.]