• Published 24th Feb 2016
  • 3,038 Views, 112 Comments

Equestrian labs - Shadow-Aura



A group of ponies with the help of Princess of friendship uncover a dark truth from before Celestia’s reign...

  • ...
7
 112
 3,038

Chapter 2

“It’s fake, it has to be,” Granite said, passing the journal to the next archaeologist eagerly awaiting their turn. “Some of the technology described in this book wasn’t around until at least two hundred years ago.”

Time Seal gave a frustrated groan, “I did the spell three times and the age checks out. It has to be real how else could you explain it?”

Granite gave a shrugged, “I don’t know time magic maybe.”

“Ignoring the fact that there is maybe five ponies in all of Equestria that could use such advanced magic, why would they leave behind a journal about a pony who has never seen a refrigerator before?” Time Seal asked his tone growing more confrontational.”

“Ok that's enough!” Eclipse said stepping between the two. “Either the journal is genuine or the author went mad. one way or the other we will need to find this Aperture Lab and see for ourselves.”

“How are we supposed to find it didn’t exactly come with a map?” Asked Granite.

“I need to take these thing to the university for safe keeping, while I’m there I’ll see what information I can dig up about Aperture. Time Seal place the journal and key in a secure case for me.” Eclipse said, he then turned and headed out the tent. Dusty wind hit him in he face as he opened the, but he wouldn’t complain anything to take off some of the heat from the sun. Solarbeam followed close behind using Eclipse as a shield.

Mere moments after Eclipse stepped outside Swift Ice dropped down from the sky hovered just about him, “Ok I think we should talk about what happened in there,” said Swift Ice.

Eclipse stepped past him as he spoke, “There is nothing to say, your fired.”

Determined not to be ignored Swift dropped down landing in front of Eclipse, “Ok listen, clearly we are both in the wrong here I may have broken some old lock and you tried to fire me, but I think the best thing for both of us is just to put this past us and pretend it never happened.”

“Oh I plan too, you're still fired though.”

Swift Ice rustled his wings in annoyance, this was not going the way he had plan. While it was much sooner than he would like he had to pull out this trump card. “I see what’s going on here, you’re firing me because I’m a thestral?” He accrued.

Eclipse could only shake his head in pity. He said nothing to Swift and step around him, “Come on Solarbeam just ignore him.”

“Well fine!” Swift called as they trotted away, “I don’t need to work for you anyway I have a lot of work just lined up.” He set down on the ground as the heat of the sun weighed heavy on his shoulders, “Now what?”

--
The Starswirl archaeology University’s library was the largest in the city. The bookshelfs dwarfed ponies, wrapping themselves against every wall of the two story building. And yet even with all of these books at his disposal Eclipse couldn’t find a single book with mention of the word “Aperture.” Be it historical, scientific, or fiction nothing even hinted at Aperture being a real place. Eclipse looked up from his table and rubbed his sore eyes. Book lay strewn about the table as Eclipse had sent the past three hours reading.

Solarbeam didn’t seem to mind, being quite content in building a bookfort out of the discarded books. With a sigh Eclipse rose from his seat, and enjoyed the popping of his hooves as he stretched them out. He glanced down to Solarbeam, who was trying to fish over more books from inside her fort, and said “Come on Solarbeam, it’s time we get you home.”

“What, no. I don’t want to go home yet.”

“Come Solar, we have let your mother worry long enough.”

With a groan of disapproval she climbed out of her fort. If Solarbeam lacked anything a sunny disposition was not one of them, within moments she was back to bouncing about Eclipse’s hooves. “Uncle Clipsy why did you fire that guy?” Solar asked. Her yellow hair swung side to side across her cyan coat with each bounce. “He was nice and he opened that box thingy.”

“Solar please stop asking about him,” Eclipse said. That last thing he wanted was to be remembered of HIM again. They approached the front of the library when they started catching snippets of talking, not enough to make anything out, but just enough for Eclipse to place the voice. And it was a voice that he was sure was going to hunt his dreams. As the grew closer the conversion become more clear.

“There I was surrounded by fifty of the meanest bandits you’ve ever seen,” The all too familiar voice said. As Eclipse rounded the corner he spotted the Librarian sitting behind the reception desk talking to Swift Ice, who was leading in too close to simply be friendly. “All I had was my Night Guard armor, which looked quite amazing on me if I may add, and a standard issued sword. But dispise all of those set back I would not let fear break me. I pointed my short towered the moon and gave a cry that soaked fear deep into the bandits, ‘For the Night Mother!’”

“And let me guess you slew them all with one hoof tied behind your back,” said Eclipse as he trotted over.

“I was going to say I made a dashing getaway, maybe you should leave the story telling to the professionals”

Eclipse gritted his teeth but asked, “What are you doing here?”

“Well after you left I realized something: you never payed me! The others at the site said I would have to take it up with you, luckily they know right where you were going.” Swift Ice said. He turned his attention back to the Librarian “Can you believe that after a full day of back breaking work he would skim me on the pay.”

The Librarian gasped, “Mr. Eclipse is that ture?”

“Of course not!” Eclipse cried. He pointed a hoof at the thestral “He’s lucky to only be fired after he broke a priceless artifact.”

“Ha, you admit it was worthless! Now you have no to excuse for not paying me.”

Eclipse’s eye twitched involuntarily. In a steady voice he said, “I don’t time for you we need to be going.” He stepped around Swift Ice and trotted for the door.

“No luck in your search I take it.” The Librarian called.

“No,” Eclipse said, not bothering to look back. “Nothing even remotely describe this Aperture.”

“Well you what they say,” Swift Ice said, more to himself. “If you can’t find it the sun hide it.”

Eclipse stopped. Oh how he didn’t want to ask this question. He knew nothing good would come from it, and yet something about the way Swift Ice had said that made him need to ask. He turned back to Swift Ice and with a deadpan look asked. “What was that?”

“What the saying?” Swift Ice conformed. “It’s just a saying from my homeland. Oh there’s another like that too: If you find a book in the sun the words will be twisted and undone.”

“And what do those saying mean?”

Swift Ice thought for a moment. “To put simple, they mean that Princess Celestia is a liar and hides the truth. You know now that I think about it most of our saying have to do with Celestia tricking us in some way. We really have anger issues.”

Eclipse added this new information to what he already knew. In one of the first entries of the journal it mentioned Princess Celestia being apart of this Aperture project. If this installation was top secret it wouldn’t be too far fetched to believe the princess world remove any records of it. “If that is the case then how would I find surviving records.”

“You could alway try asking Princess Twilight,” said Swift Ice.

Eclipse blinked, trying to figure out where that came from, but all he could ask was, “What?”

“You see while I was in the guard--”

Wait,” Eclipse cut him off. “You were in the guard?”

“Did you not hear my tale of heroism earlier? Anyway like I was saying. While I was in the guard Princess Twilight would often come and take some book out of restricted section of the royal library, you know the part that is Princess level only. So I figured if anypony will know if would be her.”

“That...could actually work.” Eclipse said slowly. He glanced down to Solarbeam at “And Princess Twilight is only to way to your mother’s.”

Solarbeam smiled. “Does that mean I get to go to?”

“Doesn’t seem like we have much of a choice.”

“Road trip!” Swift Ice called.

Eclipse shot him a incredulous look. “You are not coming with us.”

Swift Ice smile deviously. “Then pay me my money.”

“I will do no such thing.”

“In that case, road trip!”

Author's Note:

Hey its been a while but thanks to Dr fluffy it's here p2 of Equestria labs and I thank him dearly please send your support to him if you enjoy this

He deserves it