• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 1,176 Views, 50 Comments

Well ... Je Ne Sais Pas ;~; - Alwaysthatoneguy



Immediately after the events in Equestria Girls, Sunset must question everything she's ever known, but she'll need to get some help from unexpected counterparts.

  • ...
5
 50
 1,176

4 ~ First move

Spinning around yielded to Sunset that no one had appeared in the door frame she recently went through, but the sound she heard had certainly come from behind. Confusedly she looked up. Above the door from which Sunset entered was a large depression in the wall -- an upper extension to the room of which she was unaware; it stood over the lower area with a watchful gaze akin to that of a balcony. Light from the windows in the room exposed the wall farthest from her. Littered with shelves, she could see that it was adorned neatly with polished, clean black cases of varying sizes and shapes. Images of different instruments danced in her mind but her focus rested on the source of the startling noise.

What was clearly identifiable as a waist-high railing obscured the lower half of a formally-dressed girl with long, almost jet-black, shining hair. Steely purple eyes coldly glared directly toward Sunset -- who debated speaking first. Quickly, she decided that being questioned wasn't currently preferred. Harboring a simple stare back at familiar purple orbs, and an eagerness to leave, she spoke.

"Octavia," Sunset pretended to be unfazed by the unexpected encounter and thought a moment. Octavia said nothing during this pause and simply glared on. To Sunset's knowledge, Octavia never focused on what did not align with her interests; Sunset guessed this would make escaping the interaction much easier. It did not take much time for Sunset to produce words to dismiss herself. "I did not know you were here. I'll leave you to your morning." She turned to the door without breaking from Octavia's glare, but just as she motioned to start walking Octavia responded.

"Sunset," Well-ironed, purple, icy eyes were not dissuaded; Sunset felt reminded of the warmth sapped away when making contact with a certain metal handle. Octavia paused, mirroring the way Sunset had addressed her, before bluntly going on with a newly found disdain in her tone. "What are you doing here?" This was what Sunset expected from Octavia: all business. Sunset's eyes flicked to a hand Octavia rose to gesture toward the window.

"Should you not be out there? Say, cleaning your mess perhaps?" Octavia questioned -- thus eliciting an internal grimace from Sunset which did not affect her neutral expression. This was exactly why she didn't want to run into anyone on her way here, for people were certain to do nothing today but annoy her. Octavia spoke again, before Sunset drafted a reply, with impatient curiosity lining her words. "Well? I find it strange that Principal Celestia would not have you get started right away." Sunset dreadfully wished to roll her eyes.

What luck that she would run into Octavia of all people! Due to the black-haired girl being on the Student Council, she would precisely know what was happening in the school today; should she ascertain that Sunset sneaked into the building, there would undoubtedly be punishing consequences, so -- without desire for more work -- Sunset quickly passed a lie through her teeth.

"Apparently they aren't ready for me yet, so Celestia told me to wait somewhere and come back a little before ten." Octavia was a cat staring down a toy, or perhaps more like concentrating on prey. For a moment she simply stared, never blinking, until she finally let out a hum. Something in the Councilor's gaze warned Sunset of suspicion. Hence she held the eye contact with practiced stoicism.

"Would you not have preferred the library? Where there is something to do?" Sunset's interrogator lifted a black book so that it could be seen. Immediately the interrogated shrugged her shoulders. If only I just went to the library, she thought.

"Going for a walk felt like a better way to shake off the cold." Skepticism still appeared clutching Octavia's expression -- with good reason -- at Sunset's most recent fib. Wordless staring continued for another moment, but relief came when When Octavia finally blinked and looked to her book. Eagerly, Sunset sought escape. "Sorry for distracting you from your b-"

BOOSH.

Looking to Sunset as quickly as she looked away, Octavia slammed her book closed, stood up, and spoke unceremoniously. "Actually, I just finished." Are you kidding? "I figured I might go to the library and find another good read." Aqua eyes narrowed in puzzlement. "Perhaps passing the time would be better with some company, though." Relatively pale fingers gestured over the railing and pointed to Sunset's left. "Would you care to play some chess?"

Following the challenger's hand led Sunset's eyes to a wall where a single stair, logically belonging to an entire case, stuck out. This was strange. Octavia didn't even spend her free time 'accompanied' by friends, so perhaps she wanted something from Sunset after all. "Or perhaps you wouldn't mind my joining you on your, 'walk.'" Suddenly the challenged one harbored no question that Octavia had an angle. Should Sunset run away now, there was no doubt Octavia would know, to some extent, that the jacket-clad liar was guilty of something.

Resigned, Sunset began walking toward the stair, but was interrupted by a chilling suggestion from Octavia. "Wouldn't it be rude to leave the door open like that?"

Instantly Sunset froze. There was no mirror or window placed that could reflect the door's state to her, so how could Octavia know? Something about this whole situation urged caution. As Sunset closed the door, most of her said to run, though a curious part of her pondered, How bad could this be?

Apparently it was very, very bad. When Sunset reached the stairs' apex, things were far too relaxed. Most of the upper section was space likely used to prepare and tune instruments; three small tables sat right of the stair well, a few sets of chairs were stacked in a corner, and everything was neatly covered in the same, red soundproofing material. By far the worst part was when Octavia revealed a large thermos while setting up a chess board. 'Eerie' was the only word Sunset could use to describe what was said next. "The sun rises so late now; it feels early ... want some coffee?" Such strange hospitality alarmed Sunset, for this was never Octavia's behavior.

Every time Sunset met with the girl she was quiet. Never once did she give an opening to exploit or yield ground when Sunset transgressed. All that she could do, in fact, to keep Octavia out of the way was to have other people that were exploitable do it for her. That isn't to say that Sunset never antagonized Octavia, for years now the Councilor was kept from becoming Council President -- something Sunset was told numerous times vexed the composed, quiet one.

When the coffee was finally accepted, Sunset was prepared to have it thrown into her face, but no scorching liquid seared her. Instead, Sunset found herself with a hot coffee once more and wondering what to do when Octavia pushed the white queen's pawn two spaces.

Over the next fifteen minutes, the two exchanged few words. Pawn lines were drawn, attacked, weakened, and reinforced. Neither side had a clear advantage until Octavia moved her queen to capture a bishop. "Check," she called, and suddenly Sunset was forced to make defensive moves. In just a few plays Sunset's king was backed into his corner -- surrounded by friendly pawns, his knight, bishop, and rook. Mostly he was safe, but Sunset became more concerned each move about her queen. Should she place the vital piece in the wrong square, then Octavia would fork both royalties with her own knight.

Tension was an understatement to the assaulted Sunset's emotion, for she didn't know what move to make -- neither in life nor on the board. Saving her queen seemed practically impossible ... and once it was taken Octavia would be in the perfect position to move in for the kill. Luckily she would not have to make any immediate decision as her opponent cut the mental strain with a remark.

"You do recognize that you are in over your head, right?" Sunset looked away from the board. Alas, all she could communicate was a nod, for she knew Octavia was referring to more than their game. Purple eyes swiftly became daggers. "Nobody wants anything to do with you." Rapidly the chess board interested Sunset's gaze much more. "Those five girls who are supposed to become your friends are not particularly enthused by the prospect either." Quietly, Sunset reached for the metal thermos cup that now housed a small bit of room temperature coffee and sipped.

"I know that." Finally she met Octavia's stare again and made a statement. With a tilt of her head, Sunset's opponent raised a brow -- uncharacteristically, for the first time this encounter, giving her features some emotion.

"Might I ask what you intend to do with that knowledge?" I have no idea, was Sunset's first thought, and it must have shown on her face. "Figures, I expect you will have a rough time. People will be harassing you and always getting in your way." Octavia took a sip from her own coffee now. "Never able to get what you try so hard for." Sunset grit her teeth while she realized the parallels. "Does that sound familiar?" With that straw ferocity entered her eyes and she stood up in full preparation to speak her mind. Too bad for her that Octavia wasn't having it, as she also stood and raised her voice just before Sunset could ask why they were having this conversation at all.

"You must be dying to know what I want from you! You just wish you could conveniently wither away and be forgotten, is that it!" Sunset was stricken by surprise. Never once had Octavia been loud or aggressive in any way, and she pretty much took the words from Sunset's head. "In honesty, I am indifferent for the most part, but the council let me add the last item for being the one to give you this."

Stunned Sunset speechlessly waited while Octavia retrieved a single piece of paper from her bag; on it was a header stating that Sunset Shimmer was a bane to the student body and a list of various activities she was meant to be forbidden from. Club activities, school lunches, dances, pep rallies, and practically most events outside academic pursuit. Finally, on the last bullet of the list, Sunset understood what Octavia's goal was from the start.

She will not be allowed any positions or weight within the Student Council for so long as this petition stands.

Directly underneath the final statement were tens of signatures. Council members she'd extorted, students she'd wronged, and even faculty who she made look the other way had signed. Underneath them all were signature lines for the principals, and underneath those as well was a line for Sunset. Immediately she wondered, what if I don't sign, and Octavia obliged her without any inquiry.

"'What if I refuse to sign?' Is that what you wonder?" Sunset's eyes showed mostly white at that. She read my mind again. Uncannily, Octavia didn't miss a beat. "No, I cannot see your thoughts." Fear and caution encroached Sunset's mental state like Julius Caesar in Cisalpine Gaul. Stop that, it's scary! "I shall make it simple, Sunset. Sign at the bottom and I will forgo telling Celestia that you broke in to avoid running into her." What the hell, Sunset was sufficiently intimidated and sat down with the paper in hand.

"How did you-"

"Does it matter?" Octavia seemed many steps ahead of her today, so Sunset decided she just wasn't winning anytime soon. Octavia pressured farther by placing a pen next to the chess set. "Just sign it, and you may wallow all you wish."

Sadly Sunset couldn't help it; she was beaten. Again, pure failure stood out in her mind and she signed the page with taciturn disappointment. Instantly after the signature was made, Octavia snatched the paper, stuffed it into her bag, and grabbed the slightly-unfinished thermos cup of coffee near Sunset. With a quick move of the wrist Octavia seemed like she was going to throw it at Sunset; this made the defeated girl yelp in anticipation, but she never ended up with coffee on her face or clothes. Rather Octavia picked up her things and began toward the stairs. "Others are sure not to show such mercy. Prepare yourself."

Disappearing forever was all Sunset wanted to do in that moment; she wished she could just become invisible and never have to talk to anyone again. One final remark from Octavia reminded her that such a thing was not possible. "Just leave the chess board as it is. Hopefully I should see the chance to end you sometime soon." After hearing that, Sunset decided that she was going to study the board very carefully. No way on Earth was she going to just roll over and lose her queen. If she was called a bane to the student body then she was going to really be a bane to the student body.

Obviously she knew it would have to be after, as Octavia put it, she cleaned her mess.

Author's Note:

Another one bites the dust! Damn I feel like I'm writing a novel here. Five chapters of what is essentially exposition requires an equal amount of meat to the action right? Well, that's fine, I suppose it's good practice. See, right now I'm actually writing another novel. A super serious one that I might actually try to publish one day. On one hand that's exciting, but on the other it's a lot of work. There's so much proofreading, rewriting, adding information, and making shit more compact. IT WEIGHS ON MY SOUL, so here I can come to write, make mistakes, and only lightly proofread you know? It's not so serious, I mean it might suck, but it's nice learning material and it gives me a chance to unwind so to speak (or write?). That being said I DO still want to make things well written in this story, so if you see errors, even ones I just decided not to bother myself with fixing, PLEASE point them out. I'm certain there will be mistakes I make without realizing that I absolutely want to forego making in the future. If the Author's notes end up seeing even MORE poorly written it's because I draw the proofreading line here (RIGHT HERE, well before here but you get the idea). Sue me if you must

-Cheers and happy stories!