• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 1,173 Views, 50 Comments

Well ... Je Ne Sais Pas ;~; - Alwaysthatoneguy



Immediately after the events in Equestria Girls, Sunset must question everything she's ever known, but she'll need to get some help from unexpected counterparts.

  • ...
5
 50
 1,173

11 ~ Greet, Meet, Speak, and Scheme

Shimmer slipped into her jacket and entered brisk temperatures; the sun rose two minutes ago and it was just above freezing. Of course, Canterlot would be colder, so it was her hope that -- over the next hour -- sunlight would warm the precinct to a similar degree.

Two days have passed since I last saw you, Sunset. Let's see if you explain yourself a little more today.

Vroom sounded her motorcycle as she sped over familiar dirt, gravel, and asphalt roads. 7:21 was the time her phone showed when she left and it read 8:27 as she drove into the school's parking lot. Later than I'd have liked, but not late. Four girls' presences greeted her. Rarity clutched a large coat and paced from point to point atop the lot's concrete walkway which led to the school's back entrance. Fluttershy breathed into a butterfly-patterned scarf -- sitting on a step ascending toward metal doors.

Rainbow and Sunset both acted differently; either leaned against the school's purple-painted, brick back wall, but the former canted her head back against either hand -- she radiated preparedness and energy. Sunset was quite the opposite, for her arms were crossed and her head hung. Also, she still wore practically the same things: tattered jacket and somewhat scuffed attire adorned, but she was missing one of her ... slippers?

Yep, one foot's only covered by a sock. "Well, I said she'd be early." Rarity was first to say anything; her voice chattered in the cold but Sunset ... When Sunset spoke, her tone was grating.

" ... as if she was gonna be late. She practically coordinated what time this was gonna happen." she groaned and pushed herself to a more independent stance. Stretching her arms first high then from side to side, she didn't seem to register any biting cold in her poorly-protected feet. Shimmer noted the purple-haired girl was about to say something else, but ended up getting a question out first.

Sorry, being interrupted sucks, I know! "You wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" she raised a brow to her counterpart, removed a black helmet -- securing it to her motorcycle -- and watched tired eyes glance to the vehicle.

"Something like that. Nice bike -- I like the paint." Sunset spoke fast at first but clear and slow after. Did you just try to gloss over my question, or am I imagining things? Each of the three girls watched in silence as apparently-pointless banter ensued; the only one who didn't watch with idle curiosity was Rainbow -- she was amused.

Shimmer gave something close to an eye roll to the bike's fiery paint and returned, "Me, too. It really brings out my eyes." Then it was her turn to point at Sunset -- at her feet. "Do you want frostbite?" With this, Sunset glanced down to the unprotected foot, gave an offhanded hum, and jabbed a thumb toward the school's entrance. Shimmer followed the digit and discovered that Sunset's shoe was there ... being used as a door stop. "Still a poor choice of footwear," she shrugged out.

"I'll make it. My feet have gotten used to the cold." out Sunset rolled -- akin to her eyes which resulted in a proper, 'whatever' gesture. "Let's just get this over with." None had a problem with this and wordlessly followed Sunset's lead as she retrieved her shoe and ushered everyone inside.

Whilst they navigated plain halls decorated by lockers more than anything else, Shimmer ignored the nostalgia of being at a school again and inquired, "How is this supposed to work, then?" Each girl was silent; they expected Sunset would answer, but the girl felt their stares and let out a fatigued growl.

"Flutter?" she plead, and the often-quiet girl returned sympathy.

Clearing her throat, Fluttershy looked at Shimmer and started, "Well, Celestia -- the principal -- understands why we need to tell people about you, but she thinks the situation should be handled slowly so students have time to adjust; she's asked the Student Council to help us organize things. We're going to the music room to meet with a councilor who should have what we need, and from there we'll start addressing the student body. G-"

Rainbow cut in at this point -- stepping into Sunset's peripheries and saying with wiggling fingers, "The Council asked ... Octavia to help us orchestrate this." She sounded like Octavia was a ghost.

"Why say the name like that?" Shimmer wondered aloud and incited Dash to chuckle.

"See, Sunset doesn't like Octavia ... for some reason she won't say. And, I know, she's pretty stiff, but she's not so bad -- just very direct." Sunset growled to the athlete -- unhappy with the resurfacing of a prior conversation -- and increased her pace.

"Let's just get this crud out of the way," she dully offered. Shimmer mused, another question ... maybe meeting this Octavia will answer it?

Everyone walked through mostly quiet halls. School already started; Celestia had the idea to minimize Shimmer's contact with the rest of the students so that whenever they did run into the rare commuter it was relatively easy to explain themselves. Only four people, to their luck, came across them before they made it to the music room's entrance.

There Sunset stopped. That simple metal door seemed a towering barrier to her; although she entered anyway, she did not do so before patting her hands -- with just flicks of her wrists -- against her thighs and rubbing her fingers together. Shimmer noted this and found a sense of apprehension in entering. Who is this person? she wondered, Who could she be to make Sunset feel the need to collect herself? It's not like Sunset seems particularly timid ...

Any prior appearances of weakness were gone; Sunset comported a new posture -- relaxed and measured like she was wholly awake -- and strode sharp right after stepping in. Shimmer found the room mesmerizing; it had red, velvet-like material covering nigh everything, two windows on either corner of the far wall let some morning rays in, and -- where Sunset led -- there was a staircase leading to an over-hang-like upper section.

Once ascended, Rarity, Rainbow, and Fluttershy were monotonously acknowledged by a lone, black-haired girl in formal attire sitting by one of three small tables. A chess board was set up with moved pieces, for a game was underway. Shimmer was paid no mind for the moment, but Sunset ... Octavia gave Sunset a raised brow of ... Curiosity? Amusement? Hatred? Camaraderie? Though she tried, Shimmer couldn't make heads or tails of the girl's expression. Then -- when she spoke -- there was a power behind her tone; one that could only be felt ... not explained.

"Sunset," she paused, pushed a chair forward, and gestured for her addressee to sit. After Sunset gave narrow eyes and obliged, Octavia revealed a large, green thermos from behind her chair and offered, "Coffee? I know you dread the mornings."

Declining with a raised palm, Sunset explained without thanks, "I'll survive. I would rather we just get this out of the way."

"Ah," Octavia raised both hands so her fingers pointed away from either shoulder before dropping them fast. "Suit yourself, though feel free to make your move at any point during." This is their chess match? Shimmer realized and wanted to examine the board a bit more, but was yanked from her mind by the strong-yet-graceful tone directing a question her way. "You must be the other Sunset, correct? Shimmer, they say for ease? Coffee?"

How does anyone keep it together in front of her? 'Gravitas' would be a severe underestimation. Understanding of Sunset's nervousness dawned but she gave a slow, not-at-all-confident answer nonetheless. "Uh ... That's me and- er- ... N-no, thank you." Octavia hummed at this, showed the others the same hospitality to receive negative responses, and waited for each girl to retrieve a seat -- be it from an adjacent table or from one of few chair stacks around. Of course, Shimmer sat around the chess game to better observe it while the others chose seemingly random spots.

Sunset was losing -- if she was the black army, anyway -- significantly; her king was in check, in a corner, and her queen wasn't far away from danger. Watching Sunset give an unyielding, strangely confident, glare, Shimmer expected that the girl was ignoring the game out of a desire not to lose.

Not seeming even somewhat fazed, Octavia laid things out in very simple terms. "According to the petition you signed, you are meant to stay well away from anything extracurricular. However, we understand the necessity to clarify the difference between you and your ... just desserts, so you have leniency regarding these terms so long as Shimmer is present and your sole purpose is to explain these circumstances. Clear?"

An eye roll and a nod acknowledged.

Being referred to as 'just desserts' was rattling, as if Shimmer's presence was a direct punishment for Sunset. There was also something about the way Octavia spoke which made Shimmer feel like she was being convicted of something; each word was very articulated, her pauses were even and well placed, and what she said sort of flowed ... even though her words had so much ... punch.

"Do not interrupt classes. Do not deliver anything in the auditorium, as work for upcoming ice skating celebrations is behind schedule as is and those working are spending every moment in there trying to catch up. Do not interrupt gymnasium-based clubs during active practice. Do not interrupt any bands in this room during practice. And do not deliver any explanations to Student Council rooms; free time before/after class and during clubs' breaks should suffice for Councilors to learn of this. Of course, I will spread the news to everyone there to expect you and make sure you abide these terms. Additionally, club schedules -- though the members of most never hold very well to them -- are at your disposal ... here ... any questions?"

Handing off a color-coded spreadsheet, Councilor Octavia wrenched her eyes from girl to girl in an inquisitive scan; the only one who showed no sign of discomfort was Sunset ... who stood with the sheet, waved fast -- like she was scoffing at Octavia. Who in their right mind would antagonize someone like this? -- and quipped, "None today, shall I schedule an appointment should that status alter?"

Did she just make fun of Octavia? This thought scared Shimmer, but the councilor seemed emotionless as she retorted, "You still have yet to let me checkmate you, so please do come see me again soon. No one has ever tampered with my things up here. Even if they did, I have the board's picture."

"Great to know ... I suppose that's all we needed. Shall we-"

Shimmer interrupted; she did have a question. "Ah, wait, M-" she stopped. Don't say 'Miss' you idiot! What is she: a federal agent? Not that that would surprise ... "Ahem," she pretended she was only clearing her throat. "You said something about a ... petition? What do you mean?"

Flicking her wrist, Octavia revealed another document -- she was prepared -- and delivered, "I refer to this: the petition Sunset signed, rather cooperatively," Sunset sustained stab wounds from the councilor's deadpan -- both via her look and words -- as Shimmer retrieved and started reading over the paper.

"She's banned from everything but school?" she gaped after a time. "Exactly what did she do that was just okay enough for her not to be expelled?" There was but a moment when Shimmer looked to Octavia for the answer, but the councilor was looking at Sunset. Everyone was looking at Sunset when Shimmer turned to look.

"Exactly, down to the last detail, what did Sunset do?" the purple-eyed girl responded, but did not enlighten. "I think she would benefit greatly from saying it all herself ... loud and clear."

A not-unnoticed gulp came from Sunset yet she dismissed the subject despite. "Maybe another time. For now, we ought to get to work." Without waiting for the others to say 'bye,' she turned for the stairs and didn't look back in any way all the way through the door. Shimmer stayed and looked to Rainbow, Rarity, and Fluttershy for elaboration, but they -- after sharing a few shaky glances -- came to a decision.

"I think we're with Octavia on this one; it probably would be good for her." Rarity offered but soon added, "Though I'd be lying if I said I also just didn't wanna talk about it."

Argh, the remaining fiery-haired girl growled inside. Not helpful. "Have you talked to that girl? Getting details out of her is like pulling your own teeth with nothing but a rope -- no doors! She clearly doesn't wanna talk about it either; what makes you think she'll ever tell me?" she cried out.

Rarity gave a low, "Well ... " as if she wasn't really sure how to word something, but Octavia interjected.

"She owes you, Shimmer, whether she likes it or not. All you need to do is keep pestering that point; she shall give. Well, unless she is -- say -- insane, but I find that unlikely considering her general attitude." Before Shimmer could even comment on this remark, Rainbow stood.

After gliding a finger over her cheek, she softly amended, "I would suggest not pushing too hard; she might or might not be crazy, but she does have a temper."

Deflating in posture, Shimmer bid Octavia farewell, waited for the others to do the same, and the girls descended the steps while Shimmer's mind wracked itself planning. How am I supposed to do any of that? She can stand face to face with someone over bearing like Octavia, and I ... I can hardly talk to my own family without feeling fidgety and awkward! Come that realization, Shimmer felt wholly defeated. I'm never getting her to shed light on any of these riddles. There's just no way!

Moments later found the girls in the dim corridor leading to the music room again; Sunset looked over her newly-attained spreadsheet. "I was hoping to see you worm a little more, Sunset." Rainbow greeted.

"Sorry to disappoint." the reader shrugged her off, but Rainbow wasn't really disappointed.

"Oh, no, it was a most entertaining thing to watch; every little cutting remark from Octavia had you shaking in your slippers -- no matter how hard you wanna deny it. I find that girl always hits the nail on the head, and she's always so cool about it." 'Cool' got Sunset's attention and allowed her to ignore the first comment.

Looking right at Rainbow -- exactly what the athlete wanted -- Sunset exclaimed, "Nothing about that girl is 'cool'! She's just a cold-hearted, condescending, self-serving, elitist ... Ergh! She's a jerk!"

"Remind you of anyone?"

Rarity and Fluttershy let out soft chuckles which became giggles. Shimmer watched in awe as her counterpart, despite all collected-and-confident behavior shown beforehand, lifted and lowered a finger a few times at Dash in a gentle fume (she even stamped her foot down like she was about to shout); her mouth opened but no words came out.

Throughout but a few moments, Shimmer heard the giggles increase in volume and had her previous certainties challenged, for something she did not expect she would ever see happened: Sunset's face flushed -- it even had the slightest red tint. Rainbow started outright laughing at this and, even though she couldn't find the humor, Shimmer chuckled a little just to avoid standing out.

"D-don't ... Don't ... l-laugh!" Sunset tried to be stern but her sudden embarrassment only caused the girls (Rainbow mostly) to guffaw. "Ugh ... incorrigible!" With one cough and few seconds, thus recollecting herself, Sunset's face returned to its normal, creamy complexion -- like the change never happened -- and she leaned against a wall with an irritated glower. "Can we just stay focused?" she plead.

Upon waiting a minute, each girl refocused their efforts -- reconciliated after Rainbow's effective taunt -- toward their goal.

Fluttershy hummed out some of the clubs as they went over the data. "Calligraphy club ... Outdoor Activities club ... Chess-"

"We are not going to the Chess club first." Sunset interrupted, saw Dash about to say something, and gave a deep, 'I'm-going-to-punch-your-dumb-face' scowl. Apparently, the athlete's amusements were done for the day, for she pressed her lips together in silence.

Of course, few clubs would even be in session at that time anyway, as school only recently began, so the group went first to the cafeteria -- where a study hall was taking place. Disregarding many hateful and curious looks when they entered the room, Sunset bitterly announced -- knowing full well she was responsible and needed to handle this -- a standard introduction.

"Excuse me!" Nothing more was required to garner attention. Hell, many eyes were already staring beforehand. "This is an extremely weird thing to say, so I'm going to make it brief!" she pointed at Shimmer -- who sort of forced herself to smile and wave. Please do be brief, this is a lot of people. "She is Sunset Shimmer; well, so am I, but she was born here. I am the Sunset who came through the portal outside and made all your lives terribly miserable. That said, she's done nothing to any of you, so please take a moment to ask if you're -- say -- throwing crud at the right one."

None seemed to say anything; the stares just reigned in silence. "Well? Do you under-" Someone interrupted her speech by launching a hacky sack into her shoulder.

"Did I get the right one?" they called; if anyone surrounding them didn't start laughing, Sunset couldn't tell.

With the crowd seeming to have caught the gist, she stomped out of the cafeteria with grit teeth. She knew that was gonna happen, Shimmer recognized. But she just stood right up, in front of them all and handled it without even shouting back ... That can't be fun.

For another three study halls, a free period, and two club rooms, Shimmer watched Sunset broadcast the same thing. Sure, sometimes Rarity, Rainbow, or Fluttershy needed to talk to the students first -- to actually make them pay attention -- but it was always Sunset explaining ... and it always ended more or less the same; spitballs, crumpled up papers, someone threw a smashed soda can, plastic bottles, or other school-oriented accoutrements impacted her -- never Shimmer.

During a break sitting against bland, white-tiled walls in a rather narrow hall, Rainbow pondered aloud, "Tell me if any of those eraser marks welt; I'm curious."

That would suck, was Shimmer's thought, but she decided not to voice it. However, given Sunset's response ... Maybe I should have. "For each one that does, I'm going to pelt three at you at twice the speed, and you'll tell me if any of them bleed." she almost hissed while she stood and turned to the athlete. Her face fell in a scary, one-sided frown. No, it's downright homicidal. This is nothing like before.

Previously her anger was a lot more ... subdued -- she was much softer -- but this was an expression which terrified Shimmer; every muscle in her body locked at the sight. Maybe siding with her wouldn't be such a bad idea. Make her feel less ... attacked? This contemptuous look lasted about two minutes -- at the end of which Dash entirely broke eye contact.

Silence ensued as Sunset folded her arms across her chest in an aloof gesture. How can anyone have so much command over their presence? After another two minutes, Fluttershy unwound any remaining tension with a quick-release statement. "My free period is almost done; I have math soon. Can you manage without me?"

Unexpectedly, Sunset let out a remorseful, affirming hum. " ... yeah," was all she said.

Flutter bid everyone goodbye, was soon gone, and Rarity piped up, "Where next?" To this, Shimmer found herself unhappy trying to answer. I really don't think I could watch this for much longer.

"Actually ... I- uhm ... I think we could stop for today." Each head turned. Sunset wasn't just surprised; she was shocked. "I mean, we've made a pretty good start, right?"

With two slow blinks, Sunset started, "Are you sure? I just feel- shit."

Gilda approached with a scalene smile -- almost cooing, "Ooh, she was right. That's an interesting development!" Dash instantly bore her own frown -- though it did not intimidate Shimmer nearly as much as Sunset's had.

"What do you want?" the athlete spat. Shimmer tensed up upon seeing the girl -- taller than any of them -- towering above. Of course, Sunset looks entirely relaxed. Like she's been ready for this moment for hours. A harsh-yet-playful voice grated against her ears while the tall girl continued walking toward Sunset.

"Nothing much, really, I just heard there were two Sunsets ... had to check out all the possibilities, you know?" Not stiffening to any stance of aggression, Sunset leaned against the wall -- as if daring Gilda to do something -- brought a hand over her mouth, and yawned.

Near the end of this yawn, she doled out, "Well, you checked it out. Why don't you -- i dunno -- check something else out now?" With this, Gilda tilted her head back and forth and locked eyes somewhere. This didn't fail to catch Sunset's eye, and the wannabe warrior left with little more than a pensive hum down the same direction she'd been walking.

One moment passed and Sunset whirled her head around to see Gilda and Trixie conversing in front of the opening to another corridor. "Ahem, Rainbow, six o' clock." she spoke fast to the athlete who -- spinning around and picking up on Sunset's desire without requiring clarification -- started moving toward them through a sparse crowd. "I'll be right behind you; have your ringer on vibrate!" Barely, Dash heard this and tried to usher a grunt of acknowledgement, but Sunset didn't hear it.

"What's that all about?" Shimmer asked instinctively and sensibly. Shit, more questions. Answers?

Shrugging, Sunset stood and hurried, "Nothing worth discussing now, but I need to move. Let's get you to the parking lot, okay? We'll meet again in a couple days and continue from there?" 'Course not, who needs answers ...

"Yeah, sounds fine." she sighed agreement and let herself be led to the same exit whence they entered. When goodbyes were said and she was alone again, Shimmer found the sun's light to have really warmed the area, but a wind still chilled the air. Before igniting her motorcycle's engine, she just ... sort of felt bad in that breeze -- like she was responsible for making Sunset go through this. I don't wanna cause that. Ugh, why can't she just be more forthcoming?

Alas, like many questions Shimmer had, it wasn't going to be answered today, so she mulled over the day's events again and again as she rode home.






Urban environs gave way to more scarce landscapes of sand or forests, the roads changed bit by bit, and Shimmer found herself paying little attention to anything more than what was directly ahead; only a road that seemed to go on forever -- leading to what or where none could truly be certain -- but she knew how to get home despite unawareness. Still no closer to having things really figured out, she concluded, heaved a depressed breath, and absentmindedly entered Aerick's farmlands -- most of the journey back seemed a blur.

Hell, most of the day seemed a blur. However, when she walked her bike into the workshop, she noticed the English man sketching something at his workbench. Neither of them seemed to really register the other. Sure, the two exchanged swift greetings but otherwise barely spoke; they were both in their own worlds.

Motorcycle away and a sense of dejection within her, she stepped inside and made her way to her room without paying attention to her surroundings save polyurethane-coated, oak stairs, railings, and floors; they had a shine to them which begged attention. However, when she entered her rather plain, unpainted and sparsely-decorated -- most of the wood and carpet was without design or color -- room, she stared into a mirror and really thought about how she looked: sleek, tight jacket, well-patterned red-and-orange skirt, untarnished tights leading into well-maintained boots ... Honestly, I look almost exactly like her if she was nothing like her. Because that makes sense.

Ten minutes passed where she just turned and compared herself to Sunset in her obviously-never-finished chamber, but she wasn't really thinking about appearance. How did she do that thing? Feeling silly, she tried to recreate her counterpart's reigned-in anger to no avail; her hand's waving speed seemed off, her stance wasn't right, and the way she tried stomping was just wrong.

Do I ever look that way? Like ... mad but embarrassed? What was the last thing I was mad about? Ugh, this is going to drive me crazy ... I just can't see myself being anything like her; she's headstrong, she knows what to say and how to say it well, she's just ... confident. Shimmer felt severely underwhelming compared to Sunset or Octavia, but hope was there ... she's still a person! At least, so I've seen, she's got some insecurities.

Pondering how her counterpart seemed simply socially superior to her in every way wasn't very fun, so she instead thought of how to 'press the point' as Octavia said. An hour passed and not one feasible plan revealed itself; she, again, found herself thinking about Sunset's gentle fuming.

Hmm ... it was like she wanted to yell, but she couldn't find a reason to. It was ... contained rage? No, she wasn't mostly mad; she was embarrassed -- by what she said? Because she was being hypocritical about Octavia? I guess. Still, the way she did it was ... playful? No. Definitely not. Childish? Maybe a little ... Then the answer hit her, but it was a slow realization. ... cute? Was it cute? ... Yeah, no two ways about it. Another question seemed far more relevant. Have I ever been cute?

Suddenly nothing was more important; she stared into the mirror again but saw no such quality. All that stared back was an uncertain girl who barely seemed able to stand straight. Definitely not cute. Furrowing her brow, she turned away from the reflection and walked right back outside -- to Aerick's workshop.

Exactly as before, he was sketching something but she caught his attention with a quick holler. Once he turned around and raised his brow, she -- not seeing a better way to broach the issue -- bluntly asked, "Am I cute?" This received two slow blinks and a low hum ... not an immediate answer.

"Uh, well ... " Aerick pawed a greying beard. "I'd say so, lass, bu' i's more of a ... 'shy' than 'cute.' No' tha' that's a bad thing, Shim." he added the last part to chart unknown waters.

"That's exactly what I thought! What about when I'm mad, am I cute when I'm mad?"

" ... " silence gripped the workshop. " ...'ave y'ever been mad 'round me?" Good point. Hmmm ...

Only having thought of what to say next for a moment, she changed her question. "Well, is that a bad quality? Being cute when you're mad, I mean?"

"No' a' all!" Aerick half shouted, "'n fact, me wife was the same way ... she was adorable when mad- wai' ... impor'ant qualifier: she was adorable when somewha' upset; I'd ev'n do some li'l' things to purposef'ly see 'er get tha' way."

Sunset cut in, "And when she was more than somewhat upset?"

Grave features overtook the older man as he answered, "she was 'orrifyin' when she was real mad, bu' I knew she'd always le' me know tha' way if I'd overstep'd me bound'ries. Actually, it was a rather splendid system. 'Course, I never saw 'er get real mad much la'er on -- prob'ly 'cause I learned a li'l' more 'bout what ground 'er gears. Still, I loved that woman righ' 'til the end ... Where's this all comin' from, Shim? Somebo'y call you cute while you were angry?"

"No, no, not me; it was ... someone else. She got really mad later, though -- it made me feel awful even though it wasn't my fault! -- and the idea was just stuck in my head."

Aerick reassured fast, "Well, in my experience dealin' wit' such people: they're kinder'n house cats you've fed when you trea' 'em like you care to respect their wishes ... " Shimmer watched the man jab a very serious, threatening finger her way and give a stiff scowl. " ... but they're deadlier'n starvin' moun'ain lions when you demean 'em. Be careful 'f you keep hangin' 'round this comp'ny ... and be nice! Even when they're wrong an' you need to tell 'em for it!"

"Ah, thanks, Aerick. I'll try to do just that"

"'Nytime, 'cept no' 'cause 'times I feel like workin'. Now, shoo, shoo! You're fillin' me 'ead with all this nonsense. It's distractin'!" Shimmer laughed at this and acquiesced; it was a goofy sort of anger that he employed ... something about it just made talking to him all the better.

Author's Note:

Ev'nin' Steven,

Aight she's aight. I'm try'n to fix her (some unnecessary words 'ere or there, damned widow-makers, odd structure or two), but we'll get there. Slowly, page by page, line by line, this story's gettin' fixed. Well, at least, improved until I can't bear to try improving it anymore. Though I'll be honest: I really don't know what to fix. Any feedback is welcome!

Pleasant dreams!