• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 1,176 Views, 50 Comments

Well ... Je Ne Sais Pas ;~; - Alwaysthatoneguy



Immediately after the events in Equestria Girls, Sunset must question everything she's ever known, but she'll need to get some help from unexpected counterparts.

  • ...
5
 50
 1,176

15 ~ Foiled pt. 1

'Can you come to SCC in a couple hours please?'

This was the last thing Shimmer was expecting to receive from Sunset, but there was no sense in passing up the opportunity for deeper explanation. Thence, without anything more to accomplish that Saturday save hauling fuel from one point to another and dumping ashes, Shimmer rode to Canterlot soon as she could -- expecting to only see Sunset and Applejack. Well, Pinkie was bound to be there too but she would likely be working rather than chatting.

However, when Shimmer did arrive at the sweets store, she was pleasantly surprised to find each member of the Canterlot company awaiting in the back room. "There she is!" was the first thing she heard.

Shimmer returned a wave in response to five courteous-yet-dismissive greetings (Pinkie was indeed attending the storefront). "Now that she's here," Rainbow turned to address a sitting, distance-staring Sunset. "Will you please explain what's going on?"

Considering that Sunset didn't seem to even be paying attention, Shimmer was expecting something offhanded or otherwise nonchalant, but Sunset -- after an exaggerated breath -- stood and surprised Shimmer for the second time that afternoon. "Actually, can I just talk to Shimmer first?" These words weren't just unexpected; Shimmer didn't know she was in any way prepared to engage her counterpart solo.

Regardless, she kept her mouth shut.

"I know: it's a little rude but ... just for a few minutes?" Each of the other girls took out of the room with them an aura of begrudgement and Shimmer discovered it soon replaced by a sense of déjà vu as she took a seet around the medium-sized, back room table while Sunset slid into a seat opposite.

With this encounter initiated, Sunset threw softly-tapping fingers onto the surface between the pair and stared into it -- not Shimmer's eyes. This sort of disregard was a somewhat obnoxious quality Shimmer mentioned before, but she decided not to say anything this time. Oddly enough, Sunset surprised her the third time that day by offering something Shimmer hadn't even asked for on the occasion: an explanation.

"I didn't mean to put you on the spot like that; they were all just looking at me for so long and I've gotten a little tired of people staring." Are you telling me the people staring at you the other day made you nervous? You didn't show it very much. Shimmer's first thought and Sunset's kind-of-open behavior (really, though, Sunset spoke like it was just her friends' staring which 'mildly annoyed' rather than made her nervous) encouraged the less-confident-in-her-own-eyes girl to continue giving Sunset time and space to put things together. Just be nice.

"Hey, don't worry about it." Shimmer assured while making a point of loudly turning her chair. "I get pretty ... uncomfortable all the time when people are paying attention to me, so, If it makes things easier, I can look somewhere else."

Sunset muttered, "thanks," in a rather flat tone as Shimmer turned away. A little prod.

"Did something ... happen, Sunset?" Yesterday you said your friends were sick and today you had everyone come here out of the blue." To this, Shimmer heard Sunset's hair rustling -- a hand was probably running through it a few times. "They don't exactly look fit as fiddles, either."

After a moment of hair sound and silence, Sunset answered, "Yeah, but I don't exactly know how to say it, or maybe I just don't know what I can say about it." What you can say? "See, someone did something really messed up ... " A foot tapping beneath the table caught Shimmer's attention. Hang on a sec ... She connected dots fast.

"Wait, you're not saying somebody poisoned them, are you?" Without any response -- denial or affirmation -- Shimmer imagined Sunset wasn't refuting anything. "Sunset, that's not just 'really messed up.' That's criminal!" For just a few seconds, Shimmer found herself resisting the urge to grimace, but she continued trying to be thoughtful. Why would anybody keep quiet about that for any length of time? "You haven't told anyone else?"

The sound of Sunset's head thudding against the table preceded a groaned, "It's not so easy as that! I don't have any evidence and, as soon as they know I ratted them out, they'll do something serious! They have way too many people and things to just be taken care of in one chat!"

Shimmer started understanding Sunset's trepidation. However, she also understood that this wasn't like taking out almost-full garbage -- it couldn't be procrastinated. "Okay," she started while framing her nose and mouth with either hand. Before she continued, Sunset's uncertain-sounding tapping on the table in accompaniment to her foot brought Shimmer to a realization. Wait. "You have to tell them, but you don't know if that's just going to bring them to a choice that will put them more in harm's way?"

All tapping from Sunset ceased and a confirming hum was followed by unadulterated silence. Shimmer stole a glance to discover her counterpart intently keeping one hand's finger on her lip to keep it from chattering teeth. "Sunset ... They're threatening your friends? Or are they threatening you through your friends?"

"Uhm ... "

That's a quiet 'me' but you're not going to say that, are you?

"Why?" she asked -- knowing there was no point waiting for a more elaborate answer to her prior query. "Nobody would go through that much trouble and risk just to scare you." Continuing to avoid looking, Shimmer practiced patience while waiting for even a vague answer; it didn't come after a low, dull puff.

"It's silly." Shimmer pinched her nose's bridge to this and consciously kept her voice down.

"Sunset, it's not silly. It's the exact opposite. What do they want?" From nearby, a smack resounded on the table. Of course, Shimmer's heart began to race and she hoped she didn't say something rude.

Turns out, Sunset wasn't aggressive toward the surface separating them because she was upset at Shimmer. Thank god. Instead, Sunset demonstrated well who she was upset with by exclaiming, "I don't even know! I mean, now they just want me to go to some dumb school thing I'm not supposed to be at, but that has to be just the beginning! I don't see any other option but to do it and -- maybe -- find out a little more from there!" Somehow I think I have an idea of what you're going through.

Uncertainty was present in Sunset's tone but something worse became apparent; Shimmer could have sworn it was ... desperation? Casting her gaze back revealed that Sunset, eyes squeezed shut, was resting her chin on a palm and tapping the opposing index finger against her head-supporting elbow like she was trying to play sixteenth notes with a single drumstick too flat to roll.

Slight tremors could also be seen in her demeanor -- Shimmer did the same thing often -- as if she were anxious but didn't want to show it. Hence, knowing that a sense of support made things seem better for her when duressed, Shimmer reached out without thinking.

"Hey, we're gonna get you through-" she started but interrupted herself as Sunset snapped her eyes open and yanked away from the contact Shimmer began by stilling the drumming finger. Perhaps it was only a moment's eye/hand contact, yet it spoke worlds different and similar; something in Sunset's gaze was a titanium skeleton made to endure but stressed by a cumbersome fear or doubt, and her hand ... Her hand was hard like leather with minute bumps and scrapes all over -- built for the cruelest punishment.

Regardless, Shimmer noted two things she saw in herself throughout life. First, that doubt -- not knowing how to find yourself or what to do. Second, the way Sunset pulled away; it was a jerked motion but employed a gentleness intimating that she was timid or didn't know what to do with her hand.

Although Shimmer knew this well, Sunset seemed more than unsure. Rather, she seemed afraid of her hand.

"S-sorry, I didn't mean-" Shimmer covered her face and averted her gaze just before Sunset. Not that her counterpart was looking, but Shimmer knew the shame in her cheeks was due to being caught doing what she said she wouldn't. "L-look," she moved on. "I know it might not feel like it right now, but your friends will understand. Sure, they'll be upset at first and want to do something, but after a calm chat they'll try and figure out the safest course of action just like you are."

Silence again pervaded for a time. Soon, though, Sunset sighed, stood, and said, "Yeah, that makes ... sense. Thanks for listening; I just figured, hahaha, that it might be easier to talk to ... myself, you know?"

To Shimmer, the scenario was a little odd, but she could see where Sunset was coming from and thence returned a chuckled, "No problem and, yeah, I can sort of understand. I guess? Still bizarre to think about." With this, for a moment, a palpable, laid-back air presented itself -- a welcome reprieve -- which Shimmer was sad to dispel. "Shall I invite the others back in?" she asked but heard nothing.

Hence, she turned to see Sunset take a deep breath, nod, and exhale, "yeah."


"Tha- that's kidnappin'!"

"That's abduction and battery, isn't it?"

"Uh, girls," Fluttershy offered to flabbergasted friends, "I think that's abduction, battery, and extortion."

Dash ran a hand through her hair twice, balled it into a fist, and threw it toward Sunset before shouting, "I dunno if Sunset ever even stooped that low!" After a second of thought, the athlete narrowed her eyes and asked, "Did you?" Shimmer wondered, to this posing, Hmm, another opportunity for a prod maybe?

Upon turning to Sunset, Shimmer noticed the interrogated girl was looking down with a pensive comportment.

"Did you?" she repeated the athlete's question.

"Uh," Sunset let out while raising her head and bringing a finger to her chin.

"You have to think about it? Do you not remember?" At this Sunset moved her finger from her chin to her chest and defended herself.

"I did a lot of bad things! Well, things I think were bad! Extortion ... yeah. Battery ... " Rainbow coughed and Sunset's speech became a mutter. " ... yeah." There were several groans, but Shimmer's remained internal. What kind of twisted ... "But ... abduction!" Sunset switched subjects. " ... seems a little ... cowardly? I certainly never needed it." Light pride entered Sunset's voice and a few glowers preceded her adding, quietly, "To do all that horrible stuff I did, I mean."

Once a few eyes rolled, Dash directed her discontentment elsewhere by grimacing, "Agh! I can't believe Gilda would ... Gr, I'm gonna ... gonna ... " Sunset's face twisted in worry and she threw a hand out -- trying to piece an interjection together -- but it was Applejack who promulgated reason.

"Hold on, RD. Now, I don't mean to kill yer 'save-the-day' vibe, but we can't right just waltz outta here and start accusin' 'em of all this. We have no proof and ... if they can knock yer lights out for a whole day or two -- and you know nothin' about it -- then we need to play things a little close to the chest." Much to Shimmer's expectation, Sunset exhaled tension within and brushed a strand of hair from her face.

See? They understand. Shimmer would've flashed a reassuring smile but Sunset -- go figure -- wasn't looking.

Dash unhappily responded, "So what, we just ... do nothing?" Nobody's demeanor presented anything near joy to this suggestion; Applejack had a hesitant stance, Dash stood with an irritated scowl and crossed arms, Fluttershy held her hair in either hand and slouched over the table,and Rarity's face was hidden behind her arms as she concealed her face on the surface the group gathered around.

Seeing this was something Shimmer could hardly stand and Sunset seemed to feel the same, for she rapidly pulled her hair in a 'please-don't-freak-out-too-much' mannerism.

Huh, it's almost like people don't enjoy being violated or something, Sunset. Who would have guessed?

Of course, Shimmer kept this thought to herself as she believed her counterpart realized it to some degree and there were more important things to discuss.

"Well," Sunset breathed out in a hesitant tone -- supporting Shimmer's belief that she was trying to be considerate. "I know we don't know practically anything, and it's pretty annoying, but I don't think any of us should be wandering around by ourselves. Right?" She sounded a little more afraid than someone only hoping not to panic others; at least that's what Shimmer observed in lieu of feeling comfortable enough to offer anything to the discourse. She's just freaked out too? Must be it. Unless ...

A degree of bemusement struck Shimmer momentarily as she pondered possibilities. She's afraid of being alone? I guess I would be pretty scared if people openly hated me that much. Although Shimmer was by no estimation a social butterfly, wallflowers tended to be decent listeners -- to more than simple words.

"Ugh," Rarity groaned into the table thus catching Shimmer's ear. "I have never been one for the paranoid approach, but that makes sense." Shimmer didn't turn to the fashionista while this answer came; rather, she looked -- unconcerned about being noticed -- to see her counterpart let out a relieved, silent sigh.

Uh huh, Shimmer ascertained what seemed the only reasonable explanation for Sunset's overly-concerned fear. Definitely scared and seeking protection for yourself, but how else is this person treating you which has you that nervous? Geez, I wish you would just explain things more in depth so I could figure out what to think already! Another grimace, this one from Dash, pulled the observer from her musings.

"Well, something tells me Gilda will make another move at the pep talk. Maybe we could get some real proof then." The athlete still spoke with a sort of restless anger but wasn't being entirely rash. "Get this outta the way so we can move on."

Predictably, everyone was in agreement with that outcome.

Over the next ten minutes, Shimmer watched the group discuss how to handle the situation; they chose, after not much pause for agreement between all parties, to use Sunset as bait. After the imminent debacle was to occur, in which Sunset's only purpose was to draw attention and be removed from the pep rally, the group would wait to see where Gilda appeared and record a video to attain physical evidence hence allowing them to raise reasonable suspicion against the criminal.

Plans were drawn and Shimmer opened her mouth to raise a point which nagged at her, but nothing was outsourced from her brain to her lips.

Isn't it a little ironic and surreptitious to do it this way? Couldn't you just support Sunset as her friends, push back against any unfair treatment, and threaten Gilda's power through unity rather than scheming like this? Instead, fearing generating discord in the room, an assurance came to Shimmer and that became speech.

"I guess it'll put Gilda out of business if it goes right." Exclaimed relief, joy, and motivation came in response.

"Exactly!"

"If the shoe fits!"

"Just get it over with."

Fluttershy seemed a little less engaged in this plot than the others, more like Shimmer, so when Sunset dismissed herself with an, "I'll let you know that I got home alright and I'll see you tomorrow," Shimmer went to ask the quiet girl for a favor.

"The ice skating pep thing -- it's tomorrow, right?" First, Fluttershy tilted her head and nodded. Then, her face lit up like she found an answer.

"Why? Are you thinking you want to go?" Well, she asked my question before I did.

Shimmer felt a little sheepish, as one might if they were so easily read, but quickly replied, "Yeah, I was hoping you'd give me a hand." To this, Fluttershy brought a finger to her chin and went quiet for a spell -- thinking -- before she delivered a fair point.

"Well, I could let you into the school, but if you're looking for a disguise: Rarity's the one to ask." Disguise? Oh, I shouldn't show up looking exactly like Sunset. Should I? Shimmer thought about following through with that suggestion for just a second before frowning and finding her heart rate speeding up as it so often did; Rarity was someone unfamiliar ... seemingly a lot more different than Fluttershy. Not that that was a bad thing. Shimmer was just being weird about talking to someone she didn't have a very good rapport with.

Hence, she voiced without considering how shameless she was being, "Ask her for me?"

Fluttershy first gave two slow blinks and a cocked brow, but soon gave an, "Ah," and offered a compromise. "How about we ask her together?" God I am so glad that you get it.

"Sounds fine," Shimmer agreed and the pair departed the store to catch the fashionista; they found her right outside preparing to enter a very well-maintained, silver car and flagged her down with a quick holler. Applejack was a couple parking spaces away watching with curious eyes, as everyone agreed to try keeping a close watch on one another and communicating safe arrivals from point to point out of a desire for security.

Instead of paying attention to the inquisitive look, though, Shimmer opted to wait and watch Rarity strain her eyes at Shimmer before nodding.

"Sorry if we startled you," Fluttershy apologized preceding gesturing to Shimmer. "But Shimmer wants to be at the pep stuff tomorrow and wanted to ask you something." Of course, Shimmer tensed under Rarity's -- Blue? Dark blue? Something else? The light must be making her eyes weird. -- gaze. It was the kind of questioning look which made Shimmer panic trying to ensure she worded things right, but it also reminded her of a way-more-useful-than-simple mantra.

Just think before you speak. Just think before ... "Uhm, just- I was wondering: could you help me at all look-" She stopped herself to point toward her fiery hair. " ... less like Sunset? I mean, I have hoodies and jackets but ... " Shimmer trailed off as Rarity beamed a smile of questionable size.

"Are you saying ... " Rarity answered like she was suppressing a scream. What am I getting myself into? "You want ... a costume?"

"Well-"

"Ohmygoodness I can't believe it!" the fashionista leaned toward Shimmer and began gushing, "You know, I've wanted to get my hands on Sunset's motif for a while now, since things changed! Well, before, really, but she's so ... unapproachable I'd all but given up hope!" I know what you mean but ... Shimmer tried thinking but Rarity continued at a non-interjectable rate, so she kept her mouth closed. "I was always thinking she'd look good in blue and yellow with the black. Oh! And something a little less stark for shoes! Not that purple and black aren't nice, white too, but ... "

Blue and yellow? I never really ... Yeah, I guess it could- Wait a minute! Wait a- focus! "Uh, Rarity!" Shimmer stopped the gushing girl with a shout -- getting first a shocked, but soon ashamed, expression. "Can we, uh, just start things off with a wig?"

"Sorry, it's just that ... " Rarity -- after the single statement -- halted herself, cleared her throat, and took on a more professional aura. "Suddenly I have nothing else important happening today, dear, so I'll send you the address and see you over there as soon as you can?" To this, Shimmer failed to hide skepticism. I dunno, now I'm a little ... Whatever, it can't be that bad.

"Sure," she responded quickly to try masking uncertainty, and Rarity apparently bought it as she shook either fist in front of her chest and near leapt into her car.

Afterward when she was gone, Shimmer turned to Fluttershy and inquired, "She said 'get my hands on' in a pretty manic way, right?" Flutter nodded with a confirming closing of her eyes. "Should I worry?" No words came for a second.

"Oh," Fluttershy dismissed after a time, "Rarity just gets ... passionate about fashion. You'll be fine."










3:02 P.M. arrived and Shimmer entered 'The Carousel Boutique.' Neat name. After two knocks Rarity threw the door open and almost dragged Shimmer inside. "Would you like anything, dear? Tea? Water" the fashionista asked while prowling from place to place gathering different sheets or tools.

Shimmer was too taken aback by what surrounded her to answer; she wandered into Rarity's well-sized, stocked residence in amazement. 'Boutique' is right! Thumbing a soft, felt blouse, Shimmer eyed hundreds of garments and fabric selections before asking, "You make these yourself?" The answer came in a nonchalant tone as if the questioned one found the prospect mundane.

"Oh, yes. I've been doing this for a few years now." 'Passionate' is one way to put it. "So," Rarity strode toward Shimmer with a smile and a probably-weighty stack of attire over one arm before beginning, "Shall we start with a few different tops and skirts? I've had these laying around for far too long."

First, Shimmer examined the garments; they were various blouses, T-shirts, and a vast array of differently styled skirts, but they were in colors complimenting strong reds or yellows. Not to mention, they were all articles Shimmer wouldn't mind wearing and no wig was present, so she looked to Rarity with a raised brow and asked, "Weren't we finding something to make it hard for people to recognize me?"

With a wave, the scrutinized fashionista explained, "Oh, we are, but to find what really makes you look not like you: I need to know what ticks your boxes so to speak." Shimmer tilted her head.

Somehow that sounds like an excuse.

Rarity let out a little puff of air and added, "Just indulge me a little bit, please dear?" You're the only person I've ever met who says 'dear' like that, but okay.

"I'm asking you for help, so it's only fair. Suggest away." Gritting teeth seemed necessary for Rarity to hold back a high-pitched noise but Shimmer had some idea what it was like to really enjoy something, so she didn't mind being ushered to a changing room and having a variety of attire shoved in her arms. From there she could appreciate the boutique's color palette more.

Everything was draped in a calm, purple-and-white -- some shining stripes of gold or shining silver too -- which created a piquant array; it oozed the sophisticated aura Rarity seemed so fond of, and Shimmer found it to generate a noble atmosphere. Looks like someone put time into this.

Of course, Shimmer stood out in it with her fiery, sharp colors, but she could bear it since Rarity was the only other person around to notice.

Throughout the next two hours, the fashionista criticized and gave different color combinations, scribbled notes on pages, and procured more clothes than Shimmer even knew the names of or how to wear.

I haven't tried on this much in one day ... ever.

Finally, Rarity shouted like she solved an enigma entailing enormous proportions of puzzlement, " Yes! I've got it! Wait right here!" She scrambled away thus leaving Shimmer to examine the most recent ensemble; it wasn't anything special -- just a teal T-shirt extended by a translucent over skirt leading into a more solid orange one, darker-blue leggings, and a pair of less-practical-but-matching, studded black boots.

Shimmer decided she could live with the somewhat-detracted aesthetic if she were in her own, more-familiar shoes, but her pondering was distracted by the muttering of a returning designer.

Before she made it all the way back, Rarity called out to herself, "Oh, wait! This too- no this! Maybe ... Okay!" When she did arrive, she had a wide grin and a pile of various, eye-catching, attractive colors. Using some critical observation, Shimmer tilted her head before making any remark.

"You want me to wear this? This was just 'laying around'?"

Her trepidation -- she realized -- was misinterpreted for excitement as Rarity proclaimed, "Yes! Go on, give it a try; I know you'll look simply stellar!"

After a hum, Shimmer entered the changing room, donned the clothes, felt their alluring grip, and called, "Is there a particular pair of shoes I should go for here?" Rarity made a noise like she smacked her forehead before grimacing some muttered curse which was incoherent to Shimmer.

"Duh, I'm sorry; I thought it would look perfect with your boots as they are!" Well that makes this a little easier.

Nothing but hesitation gripped Shimmer after she was fully dressed and standing before the changing room's door. She knew she looked good, but didn't know that she could handle looking that good. Regardless, she pushed the door open and incited an expected squee while Rarity wheeled a decorated, full-body mirror in front of her.

"See? See? Is it not simply gorgeous?"

For a time, Shimmer said nothing. The outfit was ... star striking; her jacket was a nice cover -- concealing the true beauty -- but without that cover it was brighter than Venus on a cloud-less night in the middle of nowhere civilized.

The top began with a royal azure which led into an even-in-the-right-places-yet-broken-too layering of oranges, reds, and wispy streams of purple beckoning any to follow trails twisting around -- nay, framing -- every curve. Sleeves were long by a little too much, but they had contrasting colors and made Shimmer's arms appear slender and light. Also, there was the slightest split at the shoulders; the whole top just challenged eyes to stay away from her torso.

If that wasn't enough, the skirt Rarity picked out was a hard horizontal counter to the fluid, more-vertical layers above; it started with a strong violet that introduced a gradient teal (into what seemed almost white) before fanning into each resplendent hue mentioned prior.

Just shy of the knees, it detailed pleating which allowed the colors an excellent grasp of different shades from light, and it had this bouncy, wavy quality to it -- daring anyone to stare.

Shimmer was most delighted to notice that the colors did go beautifully with her boots, and black tights didn't detract from that beauty. Any number of stockings, knee socks, or whatever would've been fine, in fact. However, Shimmer realized that baring her legs would certainly ... draw even more attention.

Looking at it was like staring at a sunset of the most complete, gentle kind over a horizon unblemished in any way by the vast histories and conflicts beneath. Beautiful and unfettered by shadows of any sort. Shimmer loved it, but ...

Despite the outfit being stunning, it was just that; the outfit was stunning -- screaming, "I'm here! Now! And I'm not afraid to show it!" -- but Shimmer felt small in it, as if she might as well shrivel up and disappear.

Although it wasn't her style -- really, she just didn't stand right in it -- she came to a conclusion rather fast. I know exactly who could pull this off ... figuratively, of course. Literally would be- focus, Shimmer, you have to give an answer. "Wow," she said with little volume. "Rarity, this is really something; you have clearly been putting some attention on this kind of thing."

"Haven't I?" the designer beamed before Shimmer asserted her train of thought.

"It's a little tight and loose in some spots; could you situate it with the right measurements?" To this, Rarity's face lit up like her mission in life was complete.

"Of course! I thought you might like it that much! Any ideas what to wear it to? I recommend any dance! You-"

Seeing it rude to have someone go through so much trouble just to give their work away, Shimmer interrupted, "Actually I don't think I could ever wear this in public." Unabridged shock replaced Rarity's triumphant face and she furrowed her brow in confusion. Of course, Shimmer started explaining, "I was just thinking, see ... You know how Sunset's clothes all seem a little, uh, tarnished?"

Apparently, Rarity -- nodding vigorously -- noticed the same thing at some point too, for she threw her arms up like she was about to yell at someone and replied, "Yes! I can't believe she actually walks around like that. Well, maybe the idea is to get people to not want to look, but still!"

Urging Rarity to say what she felt, Shimmer hummed and nodded. "I would ask her to come get something, but she really is so ... "

" ... unapproachable." Shimmer finished.

"That! Exactly that!" With this, Rarity simmered down some and shot Shimmer an inquisitive look. "I'd love it if you could get her to wear that, but would you like me to make you something like it? I know it would be weird for you to match but I-" Shimmer coughed to interrupt and took a deep breath.

Christ, Shimmer, she can take it. Just be honest. "Really, that's okay. I'm happy with what I have, or maybe the teal one we tried before."

Rarity adopted a crushed frown and misconstrued, "You don't like it?"

No, wait, that's not right! That's not what I meant. Quick, fix it Shimmer! "That's not it! I think it looks great, but I'm not wanting to look so ... flashy I guess. How do I put it? There's something about Sunset's general personality which makes me think she'd look way better in it." That crushed face became one of surprise, as if Rarity couldn't process the words.

"'General person-' ah, wait ... Uh ... " Rarity fished for something in her head. Wrinkles showed on her forehead as she squeezed her eyes shut and uttered something unintelligible in deep thought. Soon her eyes popped open along with her mouth but closed just as fast.

This process repeated a few times before she finally found some words. "That's ... so you- Okay, let me-" She stopped to give a soft groan. "It must be really weird for you to see Sunset, right? Like, I can't imagine meeting an alternate dimension's version of myself. Well, I can, but I have no idea how I might react." Thinking about recent experiences was required for Shimmer to construct an appropriate answer.

"Yeah, 'weird,' is a pretty good way to put it. 'Mysterious' seems more important though. I've always wanted something that really gripped me like this happen. It's just ... " Where are you going with this?

"Sunset's not exactly what you'd expect?"

"Yes. It's like she looks like me if I looked a lot different." Rarity's head flopped to one side like a penguin starting to slide, so Shimmer tried to elaborate. "Something's really different. I mean, the way she ... acts I guess? It's hard to explain; she's just so ... out there and I'm so ... not."

Rarity returned her head to verticality and huffed, "I sort of understand, I think? Okay, so, Sunset's a little more ... bitter than you. What's it like to see, well, yourself like that? I mean, you seem -- not that we've talked much -- but you seem less fast to turn the cold shoulder." Hmm, I guess so. I think I'm a little too quick to avoid a conversation, though. There's something else here, but how do I say it?

"Well, the word 'weird' comes back to mind." Rarity listened whilst nodding. "That's really far from my mind whenever she's around, though." This got a puzzled look urging continuation. Maybe I'm getting more where you're trying for. "I see her sort of trying to hide from people and I think, 'she's ashamed of what she did. She's probably feeling that she can't ruin anything else if she just sort of ... runs away,' and I wanna help her see that she can be a more positive force. People don't seem to want to try, so I think I ought to give her some support if I can ... and a chance you know?"

After an, "Ah," Rarity turned away like she was guilty of something. "I'm really glad you showed up. It is a little hard for me to be around Sunset after all; I still find myself not forgiving her even if the right thing to do is to try. Even so ... " she paused and turned to again face Shimmer. "I doubt I'll ever be able to be around her without remembering ... things, so you being here makes me feel that she might just get some such chance. I think you might be exactly what she needs to really change."

Shimmer considered her interactions with Sunset and made the contradictory conclusion, Funny, I think it's the other way around, but, "We'll see," was her actual response. "Anyway, can we get to making me not look super striking? Now that we've 'found my color' or whatever?"

Eyes keen for fashion widened before squinting at this request.

"Oh, heavens dear! I didn't mean to keep you so long! Yes, yes, of course!" After ambling to another room, Rarity reclaimed her notes and marked away. Twenty minutes later, Sunset stared at someone she didn't recognize.

Almost-green hair was tucked behind her ears -- her eyes nearly matched -- long sleeves had a plain teal to them, and the rest of her attire save her tights and boots were a solid, royal blue; the colors made her look like she would disappear in a darker room. Not that Shimmer cared, as being discreet was the idea and she was happy to attract fewer eyes.

"So not your color." Rarity deadpanned after a quick examination. She emanated a grave aura as though a loved one passed away.

Understanding what she meant, Shimmer chuckled out, "You're telling me." They exchanged dull banter for a few moments longer while Shimmer returned to her original attire and -- once she looked a little more like herself -- she ended up holding a simple shopping bag. "It was quite generous of you to help today." she thanked with a low head bow.

"Oh, please, I practically tossed outfit after outfit at you for hours!" Rarity clapped and raised her hands together in a pleading gesture. "If anything, I should be apologizing to you for indulging me."

Shimmer answered as if the words were elicited by courtesy, "Not at all! It was actually pretty fun; I'd like to see more of your work sometime." Polite, was her impression of Rarity, and it was only supported by the fashionista's next words.

"The Boutique will be here for you, Shimmer! I hope to see you drop by again!"

Her personable attitude made Shimmer feel quite comfortable in conjunction with the neat, fine-furbished space. "So," she asked before habitually reaching into her jacket pocket which contained keys and a wallet, "How much do I owe you for the ... two ... " She silenced herself as Rarity's lips twisted into a frown and her head tilted in a somewhat odd display of disappointment. Or is it unfamiliarity? Wait, you're not about to give me these outfits. No way.

Disbelief didn't go away when Rarity declared with a hand wave, "Dear, you don't owe me a dime. Just pay me by making it -- and Sunset -- look good, okay?" Hearing this gave Shimmer an amendment to her prior impression.

Super polite and nice! "I ... getting Sunset into it might take some time, but thank you so much! I'll try my best."

"That's enough for me," Rarity returned with a laugh -- inciting Shimmer to do the same -- before walking toward the door and smiling. Of course, Shimmer followed, opened the exit, and turned to extend her gratitude once more.

"Again, thank you; I'll see you tomorrow." The fashionista's smile widened and she waved again.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Really, it was nothing; enjoy!" Upon the door being closed, Shimmer felt a sense of privacy, relief, and accomplishment.

Not so hard -- just an easy, friendly chat, and I didn't make a total fool of myself! Probably ... Right? Shimmer, seeing no sense worrying about things by that point, dismissed any doubt. What's done is done. Leaving the building brought Shimmer to something else which could occupy her thoughts: a bone-chilling air which motivated haste to her bike.

Welcomed heat was generated by the vehicle's engine after she turned her key to ignite the engine -- all very appreciated throughout the ride home. However, more appreciated was the scenery's change; Canterlot's outskirts, and less-populated, forested environs for miles, were coated by a crystalline sheath of frost. No snow stuck here either? Maybe next time.

Alas, despite the surrounding beauty and her engine's rumbling white noise, her environment did little to distract her from pondering tomorrow.

Will people throw things again? How can teachers let that happen anyway? She furrowed her brow to herself and took on a dejected frown. No one seems to care one way or the other -- not even the people who are supposedly on her side. What can I do? No matter how much she repeated this question, no answer came. Ultimately, she was more focused on this when she finally walked her bike into Aerick's workshop, saw the workaholic staring over some documents by an in-use, portable stove, and offhandedly asked, "Anything ought to be taken care of?"

"Just fires. Why? Bored kiddo?"

Gravitating toward the heating element, Shimmer tilted her head back and forth -- disregarding Aerick's gaze being trained on his workbench -- and let out a low hum. "Nah, I have plenty on my mind; this whole interdimensional stuff is turning out to be a real can o' worms."

Without turning away, Aerick laughed, "I could imagine, so you confirmed things then?"

"Kinda. From the looks of it, it's not some prank, but still ... Interacting with another version of yourself is ... "

The more-focused-on-whatever-project man offered, " ... a bit of a back stepper?"

"I was going to say 'weird' but that works too."

Once more, laughter came. "I've 'eard an' seen weirder from tha' science-y lass in tha' cabin down yonder." Aerick -- still not looking up -- jabbed a thumb in a general direction before continuing. "Maybe you ough'a ask 'er for advice?" Shimmer considered this for the better part of a second before a chill ran down her back.

"I dunno. The last time I went over there ... she was in the body of a pig, the pig was in her body, and she was chasing hers- it all over the place 'cause it ran off with some 'electro-swapper rug' thingamajig. Suffice it to say, it was weird." Silence overtook for a time, Aerick dropped something onto his workbench, but soon a boisterous chuckle -- one clearly meant to be contained -- escaped.

"Weirder than an alternate version of you?"

Somehow Shimmer didn't know how to respond and, for a moment, weighed the two scenarios on an invisible scale. Calculations inconclusive, she joined in the laughter and answered, "You've got me."

After jollity died down, she moved forward. "Do you have any idea if Mom or Dad are up?" Jollity transformed into a more somber atmosphere, Aerick turned to Shimmer, pretended to hold a cigarette between his lips, and shook his head a few times.

"Medicated and passed out," he stated.

"Ah, well, I guess I'll hit the hay too."

Waving a hand and turning back to his bench, Aerick joked, "Please, Shim, the hay is right bundled up an' you've a bed; don't ruin me hard-earned straw!" Sure, sure. Shimmer spoke not but acknowledged the technicality with a short giggle before making haste to the warm house, to various hearths, and finally to her bed. Her previous question repeated: What can I do?

Still, the only answer she came to seemed a vague, moot point. Just be nice. It wasn't satisfactory yet it demanded attention. Attention Shimmer was tired of giving.

Ugh! Sleep, Shimmer. Sleep will bring clarity. Then you can put things together easier and tackle this pep talk.

Author's Note:

So, interesting story:

I handwrote this whole thing because I like writing by hand a lot ('nough said but you can ask if you're curious as to more details), and I just thought, "Oh, you've got the skeleton from scene A, to B, to C, and so on, so just go ahead and flow from bit to bit.

College-ruled notebook paper seems a little more limited and inconsistent than digital pages, so I wasn't really concerned with matter.

Turns out, 28 single-spaced pages equal something like 13 or 14 thousand words. Who knew? Hence, I had this scene I wanted to get to from Shimmer's perspective and now I'm thinking, "14,000 words is a fucking long chapter. Maybe you should cut that up."

Moral of the story: seven to 14 pages is a good enough chapter on college-ruled notebook paper. Won't be doing that again.

Anyway, there are some things throughout this and the next part of this that remind me of a saying: "Shit enough and you'll shit gold." Well, metaphorically I can see that, but I have yet to come across that experience liter-

Moving on, I used a horizontal rule for the -- I think? -- first time in this story; I don't like it. Not to say I like the ten-or-more spaced lines to indicate a drawn-out transition, but I've left the horizontal rule in conjunction with the space method for comparison and because I would be interested to hear others' thoughts on the subject.

Ici, and enjoy should you find it such!