• Published 22nd Apr 2016
  • 1,173 Views, 50 Comments

Well ... Je Ne Sais Pas ;~; - Alwaysthatoneguy



Immediately after the events in Equestria Girls, Sunset must question everything she's ever known, but she'll need to get some help from unexpected counterparts.

  • ...
5
 50
 1,173

17 ~ When it Rains ...

" ... beats walking." was what Sunset said but she was less focused on traveling and more on the fact that she was in deathly cold and wet with punch and cider. Seriously, those kids are trying to kill me. Not that I blame them. Upon sliding onto Shimmer's bike, the other girl removed her wig and Sunset felt a pang of an emotion she was tired of: guilt. Of course, she didn't dare express it, but she made a comment in hopes to get Shimmer to replace the fake hair.

It didn't work.

Whatever, Sunset, you can handle it. You're not seriously going to puke in front of her, right? Just think about something else. Another item of focus was presented, as if delivered on a silver platter, when Shimmer said in an almost passive-aggressive way, "I'm ready when you are." Right.

Sunset didn't know which new prospect gave her more pause: riding a machine without safety mechanisms or a semi-protective cabin (being in a car for the first time was difficult for her), or the fact that the only apparent way for her to be secure on the vehicle was to hang on to ... another person. Is this really about to happen? How am I even supposed to ...

From beyond the parking lot hailed a soft breeze which stung her bones.

Lifting her arms some and staring at Shimmer's waist did serve as something else to think about, but that didn't mean Sunset found it easy nor feel particularly ... wholesome doing so. Feel sick or do this? Cold seeped into her awareness once more -- pushing her to a choice and an excuse.

Just do it, Sunset. It'll be warmer, right? She had no idea if she was shaking due to frigidity or nervousness, yet she preferred thinking it was the former nonetheless. Regardless, her understanding of body heat appeared correct when she inched herself into -- and her arms around -- Shimmer's frame. It's not weird. Just don't be weird about it.

Thoughts urged Sunset's courage but soon provided little comfort as the short space between the two was closed and she had to rest her cheek and torso against Shimmer's back.

Nope, this is definitely weird, Sunset concluded. However, despite, she settled into the contact -- finding it much warmer -- by fully securing her arms only to loosen her grip when Shimmer went from mostly relaxed to one hundred percent inflexible. Of course, Sunset knew not how to react to the change. Did that hurt her? Too tight? Do I ask? No, don't be stupid Sunset; she'll tell you if it's hurting. Ugh, can we just get this over with alread-

That silent wish was Shimmer's next act which, soon, Sunset realized was not something she wanted, for the abruptness of the engine's vibration made her feel she could be shaken off at any moment.

Hence, she found her self retightening her grip around Shimmer, clinging like she might fall to her death from a mountain, and raising locked-together knees in a response of pure fear. Hell, she even had to take a few deep breaths -- which she tried keeping quiet -- to avoid yelping.

Shimmer seemed to understand this scare and asked with a soothing tone, "First time on a motorcycle?"

Responding with a quick, affirming hum was all she could muster. Just because it's new doesn't mean you have to be scared. Stay calm Still, when told to navigate before getting underway, her low, "okay" was laden with trepidation. Ugh, how lame are you gonna-

Before she could even finish her question, the bike started moving and Sunset's thoughts became a loop of, this is gonna kill me; I'm gonna die. I'm actually gonna die, and she squeezed Shimmer as a lifeline.

There was no backing out by that point, not that her pride would've let her, but at least the death trap beneath Sunset was producing rising warmth. Sunset, also, was glad to have the task of calling directions to occupy herself with as the moments passed yet still found every turn or momentary increase in speed to be an attempt to jostle her stomach through her skin.

Although the ride progressed, she found the motion a little easier to handle, and she was just about to relax, calming happened at the same moment they began ascending a hill Sunset never before feared.

Gravity requested she slip off the back and break something, but this turned out to be a better sensation than when they reached the hill's apex and the Earth started calling her to fall the other way. I can't watch this, she chose, as descent began, to bury her face -- both to avoid images and air -- into Shimmer's back-right shoulder; the only things which could reach her there were her stomach's sinking and the ever-pervasive knowledge that they were hurtling downward well beyond walking speed.

With what craziness does anyone enjoy this? Why do people own these things? much less use them?

Finally easing her terror was a slowing down that Sunset didn't trust until something properly destressing occurred: terrain leveled out; it was only then that Sunset peaked beyond her human shield to appreciate the environment. I must be getting used to this. It's not so fast, she thought with a light smile while watching residences whizz by.

Stars twinkled from above, city lights from more concentrated areas sparkled some distance away, and nothing more than the bike or wind made noise.

Without thought, she relaxed and let herself lean, rather than cling, onto Shimmer -- who returned steady support which Sunset couldn't find anything wrong with. This ... I can handle this. It's calm. Neither girl spoke (save Sunset's navigation) for a time and the bike's rumbling seemed much smoother ...

... until Shimmer rode over a pebble which kicked the bike's rear up to such an insignificant height that nobody in their right mind would worry about it, but Sunset's fear surpassed sense.

Horror returned with looming thoughts of death, Sunset grasped Shimmer in preparation to drag the driver to the grave, and a familiar sight became more than Sunset's home; it was her savior for that moment.

"This is it: the complex on the left." she barely kept from shouting in delight.

Entering and stopping in the building's parking lot, she jumped away from Shimmer and turned to ensure her face couldn't be seen; being free of the bike didn't change the fact that 'fear' and 'humility' were painted across her features in dark, sharp pigments.

Some degree of politeness and gratitude compelled her to say, "Thanks for the ride. Night." before she stormed away from the mortifying experience, ignored anything Shimmer tried to say, and went to her room trembling.

Upon opening, stepping through, closing, and locking her door, she decided to speed into her restroom and splash water into her face. It was there that she saw and turned away from the mirror post haste. Not because she felt sick, but she averted her eyes because her cheeks, and ears, burned as red as the highlights in her hair ... and they only got redder as she paid attention to it.

Nobody can ever see me like this! So embarrassed, humiliated ... afraid! That was worse than crying in front of Octavia! Ugh, I feel like an infant. she reflected as she moved to her bed, stepped out of her slippers, and flopped onto her mattress with her face in her pillow to continue hiding it.

I am never getting on that thing again.















Sleep came uncharacteristically fast as she sulked into her pillow. Dreams, though, were as terrible as ever. However, this night introduced a new skin-crawling element; rain and thunder were present as normal, eyes encircled with scrupulous and angry expressions -- also normal -- but a helpless sensation produced by being strapped, standing, to some form of conveyor belt careening her through a tunnel of judgment and deprecation introduced itself that night.

"You ruin everything!" a voice shouted.

"Why are you even here?" came another.

"Nobody wants anything to do with you. You're a plague!"

"Right where you belong: under Trixie's foot!"

"Are you even sorry for what you did? Hell, are you even sorry for getting caught?"

Sunset failed to ignore any of these remarks and found something to say about the last one. "Yes!" she screamed, "I am sorry; everything I did, everyone I hurt, physically, emotionally ... it was all terrible, evil, monstrous and I am so, so, SO sorry! I want to make up for it and get that apology through! Really, I really do! I swear it on my life!"

Her transporting track sloped downward fast enough to keep Sunset from saying any more, all the eyes became gold, and she fell into a pit -- released from restraints -- where the fragrance of pine accosted her.

Gilda's voice rang in her ears, "You're such a good liar, Sunny, you really sound sincere."

"No!" Sunset denied, "I'm not lying about this!" From who-could-say where, Gilda yanked her with an arm around her shoulder.

"Look up, Sunny." Above, framed by dark, cylindrical walls illuminated by countless adjudicating eyes, was an opening where happy faces paid no mind to what went on below them. "See, you're such a good liar, you've convinced yourself that you're sorry -- that you care about anyone else. If that were true, though, would you not be up there? Being honest and compassionate?"

Replacing a strip of the iris wall was a rock face extending to the top. Sunset wasted no time wrestling away from Gilda and leaping for the wall like it was the first meal she'd seen in weeks. Climbing only took place for a second before she looked down in response to the sensation of her foot being seized.

Gilda was the perpetrator; she was surrounded by her goons, Trixie, other students, but the worst of all was ... herself -- the old Sunset with smooth, rested features, a dazzling dress, and that gaudy crown.

Every. Person. There ... she couldn't stand seeing, so she kicked Gilda away and ascended. Maybe there were a hundred jutting rocks to climb ... maybe a thousand ... a hundred thousand ... Sunset didn't care. Bleeding dry through torn apart hands was better than accepting herself as one of the creatures below and she would spend eternity trying to escape if that was what it took.

Alas, her will meant nothing; the stones which offered freedom crumbled into ineptitude, she fell into expecting grips and screamed, kicked, tried to fight, but it proved fruitless as she was subdued by her old self's constricting clutch coming from behind.

"No matter how well you lie, you can't change what's true." Her own voice brought her to tears. "And what's true is that you belong here; this is who you are." Light from beyond the pit of evil began dimming. "You'll never get up there. Someone's covering that hole to keep monsters like you away. This is your real home, and you know that. Here, you can be awful and all alone ... forever."

To this and complete darkness, Sunset sobbed. "No! NO! I'm not-" She stopped herself as the sensation of being held down left and nothing could be seen. Four steps forward walked her right into a stone wall.

Stepping to the side with her arms reaching out did the same; all around were walls, the ceiling was just above her, and everything became silent.

Rain, which had been present -- at least in the background -- since the beginning, ceased.

Peace and quiet for Sunset to cry alone was nice for all of one minute. Once that time elapsed, she was hyperventilating and banging on all the walls while tears fell and saturated Sunset's slippers and socks. "Hello?" she called to get no answer save her own echo. "Hello?" she repeated ... no answer. "HEY!" she screamed, "I can't- hic- breathe in here! Somebody! Anybody! HELLO?"

Of course, there was no response, her breathing became more stertorous, and something started grazing her ankles through her soaked socks. Reaching down evidenced a buildup of water only getting deeper. Suddenly her heart rate matched her speed of breath.

Crying continued and Sunset busted her fists on the walls for some time, receiving still no help, before the raising water level reached her face. "Please!" she begged, "I can't! I'm gonna ... "

When a splash of the liquid touched her lips she recognized a pinch of salt.

No no no no! I'm not actually gonna die ... gonna drown ... like this? Tears were as incessant as she believed the prior rain to be, the water carried her to press her face against a rock ceiling, and she took in the last labored breath from the small space she thought she ever would as she asphyxiated in herself and clawed at walls she couldn't see.

Unsure how she arrived from the water-filled chamber, a road presented itself before her; it traveled to infinity in both directions and had nothing but black around it. In fact, it made no sense that she could see it granted there was no visible light.

Nevertheless she, wet, shivering, and cold, stumbled in one direction -- leaving a trail of tears in her wake.

Soon the sound of rain began anew and the tunnel of eyes returned. However, she wasn't on the conveyor belt this time. Instead, the judgment precipitated on a loop, chastising her for her blind hunger for power, and she found herself riding through it on the back of Shimmer's motorcycle.

Peace didn't come, but at least she could hide her face behind the driving girl to avoid the stares. Doing so transported her to a new location, her bed, where she sobbed into and squeezed her pillow.















'Whatever stops the tears ... ' came to her with a start as she reared away from the pillow and pulled her knees to her chest before rocking back and forth -- crying into them instead of cloth. Of course, by this time, she knew better than to try wiping the liquid away; it was bound to fall and fall until she deluded herself into feeling better -- into believing that what she had done was in the past and it was no more than a dream.

Four hours hadn't passed since she arrived home and she rocked for another hour before her face began drying. Most of her time awake after that moment was spent staring at Octavia's thermos and the words which calmed her to a slight degree.

Displayed on her phone's screen was 4:15 when a yawn escaped her. However, she refused sleep in favor of stepping outside so brisk air could sting her senses. Five minutes later, alas, she was scared inside.

Clouds rolled over the sky, humidity increased, and a flash preceded -- by three seconds -- a growling, cracking noise which smashed through the night like a sledgehammer over thin ice. Sunset, of course, went to her room once more and cowered beneath her covers with her hands over her ears in a feeble attempt to blot out any such sounds. Still, nature assaulted with loud claps and -- soon -- a battering rain sounded too.

Nothing proved to calm her quivering form throughout the storm -- which persisted until 7:53 that morning.

Even after the end, small spurts of rain could be heard pattering on various things outside. Sunset stayed under the covers for the following 40 minutes until a conviction reached her.

I hate storms.

Bzzt! Her phone interrupted her brooding with a call and a realization that school began some time back. Well, fuck it. I'm not going. Answering the device brought Celestia's voice, asking what she was doing, to her attention. "I'm still in bed. I feel like I caught a cold after last night." she dismissed the principal with a lie she didn't have to consider before vocalizing. 'Such a good liar' Sunset loathed herself but ignored her inner recognition.

"I can't say that's surprising; really, Sunset, what were you doing here yesterday?"

This is an opportunity. Shimmer's words returned like a boomerang. 'Just tell the truth ... the whole story ... What's so hard about that?' For a time, it seemed like it was something easy; all Sunset had to do was ask if there were other students around and, if there weren't, explain everything -- how Gilda was treating her, what actually happened to her friends ... Shimmer's right, Sunset, it's not hard.

"Uh ... Mmm, I- eh," she began but panicked as language failed her. "I don't know, really, it just happened. I need to sleep, but I'll call if I start feeling well enough to come."

Celestia gave an acknowledging hum, the call ended, and Sunset threw her phone away from the bed before burying herself as deep as possible under the covers to continue sulking. 'Where I belong' is right. ' ... such a good liar.' More tears fell for a while as she hid for another couple hours until one phrase struck her.

' ... feel like an idiot.'

Anger replaced self loathing as she threw the covers off her, sat on her bed, and buried her face in her palms. "Agh!" she groaned muffled disdain. "You 'feel like an idiot' because you are an idiot, Sunset!"

Shimmer's words hit again. 'You're not an idiot for ... that.'

Hence remembering this, Sunset sprang to her feet and started pacing in fury. "Of course I'm an idiot for that! It's stupid to know what you need, or want, to do or say and just not do it, right?"

You're sure that's what's stupid, or is it just stupid if you can say or do it? What if you're so ingrained in, I don't know, fear or something that you can't? Is it stupid then?

Ignoring that she was about to converse with herself, Sunset answered, "Absolutely! Yes- No ... maybe. I don't know, but I've definitely been acting stupid!" Pacing ceased for a moment so she could punch the air downward and shake her head a few times. "Ugh!"

That we can agree on

Sunset recalled her interactions with Gilda, the ride home, the dreams, seeing her face the night before ... "Stupid," she repeated and continued pacing.

Is that what Shimmer would think if she knew everything? What would she say if she, for instance, knew you could hardly look yourself in the mirror?

Groaning and increasing her pace, Sunset growled, "Yes, that's what she'd think! She would think I'm being stupid; I have been being stupid! Ugh, I'm stupid, Trixie's stupid, people at school are stupid, Gilda's a damn moron. Hell, Shimmer's stupid and annoying! Who cares what she thinks anyway?"

First, you're not being fair to yourself or Shimmer. Second, you care what she thinks, and -- third -- she's not annoying; she's actually been more respectful than anyone save maybe Flutter.

"Ugh, shut up! Shimmer is annoying; she's butting her head into business that's really not hers!"

Is she? Or is she just noticing that you're going through a really rough time and wants to be there for you? How many people are considering how you might be feeling and demonstrating that they're there to support you?

To this, Sunset held either temple in her palms, fell back first onto her bed, kicked a few times, and hissed, "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" But one moment of null thought passed in which Sunset took a few deep breaths, closed her eyes, and massaged her temples.

Sunset. Continued thought prompted she tear her eyes open and smack the backs of her palms against the mattress. Nobody's talking to you. You're alone in your room; I'm just a part of you that's seriously concerned you've gone well off the deep end and actually lost the ability to reason. Jumping to her feet, Sunset ignored the logical conclusion of what this part of her existing meant and continued trudging in a small circle.

"No one asked you! I'm sick of this, I'm sick of it all, and I'm sick of you, so shut it already! You don't know what you're talking about! Shut up!"

We were literally just here. Are you aware of the definition of 'insanity'?

"Of course I'm aware-" Realization dawned. Sunset stopped walking, staggered back while raising a few fingers to her forehead, and stretched her eyelids to their limits.

What's the saying? 'It's okay to talk to yourself, but the minute you start answering yourself ... '

Sunset panicked, "S-something different! I-I need ... s-something ... "

Now you're getting it. Fear flushed her mouth to a deep frown.

"It's like there's someone in my head but ... Anything! A-anything different! Uh ... Uhh ... " Bzzt! Bzzt! Her phone, as if on cue, notified her of a message from its location tossed on the floor. "Oh, stars above! Please, save me from myself! Come on, come on," she pleaded as she made for the device, "Be my hero for-" Seeing the message's identifying tag read 'Shimmer," Sunset threw the phone on her bed and turned away. "Nope. I refuse to accept her as my hero; it would just be too ironic."

You did say anything, if you recall. Annoyance at her thoughts festered.

"I know what I said!"

Do you? Becau- Turning back to her device, in conclusion that whatever Shimmer wanted was a better use of her time and energy than arguing with her own head, proffered a distraction.

'Hey, when you get a free moment could you shoot me a call?' the text read.

"Ugh, you're the last person I think it would be a good idea to talk to right-"

Oh, because you've had so much fun talking to a kind of yourself that's not even audible? Sunset pressed the 'call' button after almost no time devoted to weighing the options or preferences.

Two rings passed before Shimmer answered. Sunset asked, with a pretense that everything was normal, "What's up?" However, in contrast, the voice that responded had no such facade; it was the stuttering mess of a person caught entirely off guard.

"Wha- H-hey, uh, S-Sunset, I uh- w-wasn't expecting y-y-you to ... Ahem, a-aren't you in school?"

Sunset wondered what had the girl nervous and, hence, poked, "Not today. What did you want?"

"W-well, I had just ... See, the- there was thi- I had this idea after a while where I was ... Ugh ... Look, this is gonna sound kinda weird, but can we just meet so I can say this to your face? It's a little hard to put into words."

Without resisting the urge to chuckle at the poor articulation -- that's pretty mean, at least she can say what she wants to. -- Sunset cleared her throat, asked, "Sure, do you remember the address?" and waited to see if she would have to say where she lived.

"Yeah, I'll be over in, like, an hour." Shimmer hang up faster than anyone in any phone call which Sunset had ever participated in.

Clarity of though somewhat returned to Sunset when a goal and plan were brought to attention. I wasn't being mean, or trying to at least; it was just obvious that I surprised her, she didn't know what to say, and it was a little funny. I'm sure she thinks it was ridiculous too. No response came and Sunset turned her thoughts to curiosity.

Rambling all over the place, ' ... hard to put into words.' and she has some 'idea' she wants to say to my face. Some possibilities flashed through her mind but she disregarded most as illogical. Well, damn, the only way to find out is to wait. Despite that thought, just waiting seemed an unpleasant idea, so she concocted a plan. Shower, then coffee, and wash stuff if there's time after. Easy.

Distracted musings about what Shimmer was going to say, though, delayed her plan, she wandered for 20 minutes wondering before showering, and her phone displayed that the call happened 47 minutes ago when she put water on to boil.

Okay, we'll have the heat closer to medium and have coffee after Shimmer leaves.

Leaving the water in confidence, Sunset took her time washing Octavia's thermos and handkerchief over her sink; she found them both to be of exquisite make in color and material. Shame I have to give 'em back. Oh well.

Upon finishing the chore, she found her phone to read that the call occurred 58 minutes prior, so she went outside her room to a stair which let her see into the parking lot -- drumming palms against her thighs, swaying from side to side, and thinking, 'what could it be, what could it be?' on repeat for a few minutes.

Cold somewhat bothered her hands and ankles as she waited but the areas had become well conditioned to the element. She did say 'like' an hour, Sunset. Riding toward the curious girl on that thought's heels -- on a death-cheating machine -- was Shimmer; Sunset first welcomed the fact that she was looking down upon arriving, but knew that eye contact couldn't be avoided forever.

It's not you and it's not ... Sunset steeled herself but trailed off as she realized Shimmer was mouthing something. She's rehearsing what to say even though she's had an hour to do so. She and Flutter would probably get along pretty well.

This thought was supported when Shimmer slowly dismounted her death trap with a fine-looking bag Sunset hadn't noticed if she had before, slipped it off one shoulder, and approached with a rigid posture.

Nothing like you, Sunset, or at least the old you. You can do this. Just don't look away. It'll be easy; she's not gonna be ... terrible and mean like you are- were ... most likely. "Hey," Shimmer greeted after a few shaky steps -- pulling Sunset from her thoughts. Of course, Sunset had a response to gauge the girl's nervousness, and get things over with, in seconds.

"Heya, I'm not gonna torture you with small talk, so just tell me what you wanna talk about."

"Oh, r-right. Uh ... " Super nervous. Come on, I wanna know already! Shimmer looked away, back again, and opened her mouth but didn't continue. You're killing me over here, dammit! Finally, the slow roller appeased Sunset's wish. "Okay, so, I had been thinking a lot about- wait, that's ... You know what: I've never done this before and I'm probably going to mess it up if I keep talking. Just ... "

Shimmer opened her bag, retrieved, and held out something very pretty to Sunset; it was white-backed box at least a foot long with red-and-yellow tulips painted on its front and surrounded by different blue, purple, and black spirals or wisps. " ... here." Shimmer finished.

Hiding any awe, Sunset raised a brow to her counterpart, took the -- discovered not light -- box, and joked with rolling eyes, "Neat box, thanks."

"I'm more giving you what's in the box, but you're welcome." Shimmer returned with her own rolling eyes, grinned, and shook her head. Maybe it was that Sunset couldn't look at herself without feeling shame, or maybe it was that nobody had ever been so ... casual with her before, but she was happy to have something else to look at for a second's reprieve.

Just maintain eye contact. Sunset returned her gaze to Shimmer's to find the girl beaming, clasping her hands behind her back, and somewhat bouncing up and down. Before Sunset could open the thing, she had to ask, "What's this for? I don't remember giving you anything, after all."

Bouncing stopped and Shimmer's smile became a frown accompanied by wide eyes. "I mean, I j-just didn't w-want you to ... " Oh, Sunset leapt to a conclusion.

"You think I'm mad at you?"

"Well ... "

Now I get it. "And you think that giving me this is gonna get you on my 'good' side?"

After a glance away, Shimmer muttered, with a sheepish half smile, "Guilty."

"Welp," Sunset started whilst opening the container. "Hate to break it to you, Shimmer, but -- whether I'm mad at you or not -- there is nothing you have that-" Words wantonly wrenched themselves back down Sunset's throat as she unveiled the box's contents; she slapped a hand over her mouth to hold her lips down, looked to discover less-high-on-the-calf shoes on Shimmer, back to the girl's face, to the box again, and repeated the circuit a couple times. "You're giving me your boots?" Sunset whispered while pulling the footwear -- which was neatly placed in colored tissue -- into the air by their calves.

Shimmer brought her hands in front of her, grabbed an arm, and answered, "Well, they are my favorite." You're giving me your favorite boots? "So I can't say I would never want them back, b-but I just ... You're a-always in those slippers even though it's c-cold -- and it's just getting worse! -- so I figured maybe you didn't have anything better a-and ... " You hit the nail on the fucking head.

There's that 'consideration' thing we mentioned. Sunset failed to string together a response.

"I did- I don't- You didn't ... How do ... " There was a phrase within her vocabulary but she couldn't say, 'this is the greatest thing anyone's ever done for me.' No, she can't know how happy this makes you.

Hence, keeping a hand over her lips, she said, "I don't have anything like this for you."

"Sunset, it's a gift; that means you don't have to give me anything back." These words shook Sunset to reality, she narrowed her eyes, threw her hand from her face to Shimmer, and leaned toward the other girl. Now I know something's up. Nobody just gives you something without intending to collect.

Dead seriousness overtook as Sunset interjected, "What do you want?"

"What? Sunset, I just said-"

"You're not a good liar, Shimmer. You're being really nice to me and I want to know why." At this, Shimmer stepped back, Sunset followed with a strong step, and Shimmer nearly jumped back before waving both hand in front of her.

"I swear! I just want us to be friends! No ulterior motives. I promise!"

Paying attention to wide eyes and a ready-to-run demeanor, Sunset stepped back, looked at the boots, and sighed. I don't want to scare you. Just tell me what you want! You don't honestly expect me to believe you're just ... going to let me use these without getting something for yourself. Do you? "All you want is for us to be friends?" she asked to get a nod. "So, if I say I don't accept you as a friend, you'll want these back right?"

"Sunset, has anyone given you a gift before?"

" ... "

"Ever?"

Hearing this gave Sunset pause but she dodged the query. "Answer my question." Then it became Shimmer's turn to go quiet for a moment.

Pinching her nose's bridge and looking down before throwing an open hand toward Sunset, she obliged, "No, Sunset, this isn't a deal; it's a choice and, if you don't want to be friends ... Okay, I'll be hurt but I won't tell you to give my favorite shoes back." Sunset staggered back to hit the back of her foot against the stairs leading toward her room. D-don't make it look like you're the victim here! You're trying to get something out of me; I know it!

However, despite suspicion and confusion, Sunset accepted things with one qualifier. "If I ever find out there was something more to this, being 'friends' is going to be far from accurate, so this is your last chance to tell me. Understand?" Silence overtook for a time but Shimmer soon nodded and brought both hands to her chest.

"I just want things to be well between us, but, yes, I get it." Neither party said anything after this -- just stared at one another. Do not look away, Sunset. Shimmer broke the contact first and then the air by mentioning, "Uh, so, I know this probably sounds dumb after all that, but ... Will you try them on? I just sort of assumed our sizes were pretty close. If they're uncomfortable, I can take them back. I-I just ... t-thought ... "

Sunset silenced anything more by placing the shoes on asphalt beneath, removing her slippers, and pressing foot after foot into the beautiful, kempt boots which reminded her of her old ones. Of course, there was a zipper on either one to be undone and resituated, but Sunset found them to fit like they were made for her.

Just say they fit -- nothing more.

"They're perfect!" slipped out at the ergonomic feel around her feet. Shimmer had a big -- Sunset would've called it a shit-eating smirk -- smile on her face.

"Great! Guess I'll, uh ... just leave you to-" Oh no, you are not indebting me that easy.

"Wait!" Sunset called as the motorcyclist began turning. Dammit, what do I even have? Cold air bit her hands and face (but not her ankles) and an idea developed. "Do you -- I mean I figure you aren't busy -- uh, like hot chocolate at all?"

Time wasn't something Shimmer took before answering, "Do people breathe? Yes I like hot chocolate." Offering something shed light on an enigma Sunset had before. Okay, I see why you were nervous, but you don't have to be that nervous I don't think.

"Well, I was going ... to, uh ... make coffee but-" Sunset looked toward the stairwell for an excuse to stop talking. At least I didn't think you have to be. "I mean, I could bring you down some if you'd like."

Like it wasn't a question, Shimmer stamped forward -- prompting Sunset to stare into eyes which made her sick in an 'I-don't-know-how-to-act' sense more than a guilty one -- and said, "I would like that very much."

"Okay, I'll just ... Wait right here. It'll be just a sec." There was a short hum Sunset was overjoyed to be leaving. However, when she entered her room there was something else to be jovial over; she kicked her metal stove a few times as she prepared two mugs of hot cocoa with a profuse smile across her face. No stubbed toes! Haha! It's like magic!

Still, before she left to rejoin Shimmer, she told herself, be serious, Sunset. She can't know.

Alas, after she returned to Shimmer with the mugs and sat down to enjoy the beverage, she was caught staring at the boots and giddily clacking them together. "Working well to keep your feet warm?" Shimmer remarked.

Sunset locked her knees and feet together before replying, "No! I mean, er, not very- uh ... a little." How do I say 'thank you' without feeling like I lost here? can I say it without feeling like that? she pondered whilst glaring into her hot drink. Of course, Shimmer giggling only caused her to pour the searing liquid down her throat to hide any semblance of embarrassment.

"Does this mean, I just want to be sure, that we're friends, then?"

Without looking, Sunset constructed the answer, "Well, I don't hate you if that's what you mean." Staring to the boots wasn't resisted, and Shimmer expressed that she noticed it with a chuckle.

"So the boots were a good choice?" Whirling to face a provocative, raised brow, Sunset nudged Shimmer's shoulder in discontentment with a shaking head.

"Never mind, I take it back; you're the worst!"

Laughter from both ensued but most of the experience following was spent in silence. Nothing pressing, things are quiet, we're not playing 20 questions ... This is nice, Sunset realized only to have it taken away by Shimmer asking, "Sunset, can I ask you something?" Here we go, and it was perfect 'til you just ruined it.

"You just did, but you can ask me something else if you want. Can't guarantee I'll like it, though."

"Well, I was just wondering: have you been getting enough sleep?" Sunset froze. Shit. She noticed. Just say you were busy and up late last- "Don't just tell me it was one rough night either; every time I see you, you have this distant stare like you aren't really here, and today you even have bags under your eyes. I was hoping ... that's the reason you almost never look at me?"

Sunset repeated, "Bags?" to receive a tilted head from Shimmer.

"You mean you don't know?"

How do I respond to that? With 'the truth'? She noticed, Sunset, you have to say something! Of course she noticed! You're always looking away from her and you hardly slept last night! Gah, you idiot! Just 'be honest'.

"Uh ... " she started in a fruitless attempt to collect herself. "Eh ... err ... Mmmm ... " She stopped herself before bringing a hand to her forehead. 'Incoherent garble' is right you imbecile! Just say it! You think she had a problem speaking earlier? You're the one with a speech impediment!

Trying again resulted in Shimmer interrupting, "Sunset I- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have- Thank you for the wonderful time and drink, but I should really go." She replaced herself in the stair they sat at with her mug and went to mount her bike without another word.

'NO! Wait! I want to tell you! Just give me time, please!' Sunset failed to say as Shimmer rode away. No ...

Minutes passed where Sunset sat in silence -- thinking. 'Shimmer's annoying.' She's literally just given you something you know to be one of the best things ever invented and you -- what -- can't give her a few simple answers? She's being really patient but she must be so frustrated with you. Ugh! I need something to- Glancing down at boots which were sort of hers, she made a choice rather fast.

I know exactly what I need to do.

Author's Note:

Dammit, I swear to every deity which has ever been conceived by civilization: I can write a chapter that's fewer than 6k words. I know I can do it; I'm just clearly failing to. Whatever.

Anyway, I figure that, since I wrote way too much the previous two chapters in Shimmer's perspective (I sort of want to start evenly alternating between the two), I'll write two from Sunset's.

Next one, I promise, 5k words or fewer. No, really, I mean it this time. I really do. I really, really mean it, and I'm not trying to convince myself of that; I really mean it. I think.

Enjoy!