• Published 24th Mar 2016
  • 3,940 Views, 524 Comments

Brushed Away 3: Hearts Entwined - TheVClaw



As the spring season resurfaces across Equestria, Troy and Canvas are just about to embark on the biggest event in their lives. Of course, neither of them realized just how intense or stressful a wedding can really be.

  • ...
15
 524
 3,940

Chapter Twenty-Six: The Wedding Day (Part One)

The night before Troy and Canvas’ wedding was one of the longest nights for both of them; not just because of the anticipation, but also due to the isolation both of them had to take before the ceremony. In accordance with both Equestrian and Gryphon Kingdom traditions, the couple agreed to depart immediately after the rehearsal dinner, and spend their remaining night in separate places so they wouldn’t see each other until the wedding. While Canvas slept back at the house with Tenor, Troy was provided one of the guest rooms at Twilight’s castle. The bed may have felt absolutely blissful with its high-quality mattress and Saddle Arabian sheets, but Troy was barely able to get any sound rest in it while alone.

The gryphon groaned and rolled over the upteenth time, trying not to think about having to endure this kind of feeling every night when he would have to prepare for his play in Manehattan. Unfortunately, as soon as that thought sprang into his mind, it was impossible for Troy to not think about it. It was like being told not to think of an elephant; as soon as that command is given, the mind would instinctively go to that image. So, there was nothing for Troy to do but lie in agonizing wait for himself to get so tired that his mind would just zone out and let him get some damn sleep.

Troy wasn’t sure when he finally passed out, but he was surprisingly refreshed when he was awoken by the alarm clock beside his bed. He was only groggy for a brief moment after shutting it off, but his body quickly felt a surge of adrenaline flow through it when he realized what day it was: Today was his wedding day.

The gryphon shot out of his room in excitement, feeling like he did as a kid on Hearth’s Warming Morning. And much like then, the first thing that Troy did was rush into the nearest room to find someone to wake up.

“GUYS!!!” shouted Troy as he bursted open the door to the triplets’ bedroom. Since the room itself only had two, albeit very huge beds, Blaze and Blane jolted out from under the covers of one of them to see their younger brother acting as giddy as a girl on Prom Night. “I’m getting married today! I’M GETTING MARRIED!”

Blaze and Blane both looked over at each other in worry, and Blane was the first to say, “Uhhh… yeah you are.”

Troy was getting antsier by the second, and was nearly hopping off the floor with excitement. Blaze gave his brother a shaky smile and nodded with a meager, “Mmhmm. I bet Mom and Dad would be excited to hear that too.”

“OH YEAH!” With that, Troy rushed out of the room as though it were about to explode.

After the door closed, Blaze and Blane sat in their bed with a shared look of nervousness before sighing in relief. After a couple seconds, Rainbow Dash’s head popped out from under the covers between the two gryphons. “You think he knew I was here?”

“GAAAHHHH!!!”

That was when Troy woke up for real, nearly falling off his bed from that violent jolt upward. His heart was pounding, and sweat was beading off his forehead as he sat in bewildered silence. He was breathing heavily while looking around his room, pondering what the buck was going on. “Wha… what the…”

Troy then groaned and rubbed his eyes in growing confusion. “Ugh… What the buck?”

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Troy yelped from the sudden blaring of his alarm clock, further confirming that what just happened was in fact, just a dream. After pounding the clock off with a clenched claw, the gryphon lurched forward with a bitter sigh as his exhaustion settled in. By the time he was finally able to motivate his body to move under his control, Troy heard his bedroom door open.

Lyle, who looked much better than he did the previous night, peeked his head in and said, “I thought I heard something. You alright?”

Troy groggily nodded his head and looked away. “Y-Yeah,” muttered the gryphon. While stretching out his forelegs, he yawned powerfully before asking, “Is breakfast ready?”

“Nah. Spike just started cooking.” Lyle then walked into the bedroom, revealing a steaming-hot pot of coffee in his claw. “He did get coffee ready though. Want some?”

“Yes,” said Troy insistently before lumbering off the bed. After Lyle handed him the pot, Troy downed over half of it in one go as his mind kept reeling what he was dreaming about. He groaned briefly after pulling the pot away and asked, “Uhhh… Just so I know for sure, the triplets have three beds in their room, right?”

“What?” asked Lyle confusedly. “What are you talking about? They each got their own room here, remember?”

Troy’s brows raised in slow realization, which was followed by a relieved sigh. “Okay, good,” he said before handing Lyle his pot back. “I just wanted to clarify.”

“Ummm… what for?” asked Lyle with narrowed eyes.

“Never mind, it’s nothing.” After that clarification, the older gryphon shuddered at the thought of if his dream actually happened. “I shouldn’t have eaten that much shrimp last night.”


It was the morning of Troy and Canvas’ wedding, and it seemed that a lot of the important tasks for the ceremony and reception were coming to fruition. Gilda and Greta woke up early to help with the prep-work at Sugar Cube Corner, alongside the Cakes and Pinkie Pie. Blane and Blade were two of the first to leave the castle after a quick breakfast, since both of them had duties they had to make sure were completed as well; while Blane collected the floral arrangements from the florist ponies, Blade waited at the train station for his sound equipment and band to arrive.

Meanwhile, Rarity collected all of the completed suits from the tailor, as well as the dresses she finished herself before heading towards the castle. Her horn was brightly lit while rolling the clothes-rack behind her, and she briefly stopped when she noticed Canvas and Tenor just arriving at the Ponyville town limits. After looking between them and the nearby castle, the unicorn went towards them while lugging her garments. “Canvas!” shouted Rarity loudly enough to catch his attention. “Canvas, what are you doing here so early? I thought Lyra and Bon-Bon were going to get you ready at your house!”

After turning to see the unicorn, Canvas went up to her and replied, “Well, I was, but they decided to have me come to their place instead and save some time. I’ll still be out of sight before the wedding, so it’s not like I’ll risk being seen by Troy or anything.”

“Oh. Well…” Rarity glanced back at her rack of garments, and used her magic to float out one of the plastic-sealed suits. “Since you’re here, I’ll let you take this off my hooves before I go to the castle. Lyra and Bon-Bon already have their dresses, so just go to meet up with them and I’ll come by to make sure the measurements are correct.”

“Okay, thanks,” said Canvas while carefully laying his suit over his back. While Tenor bent in to sniff at the plastic packaging curiously, the stallion decided to ask, “So, do you know where Twilight is? I wanted to make sure that everything was going alright.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that one bit!” assured Rarity with a smile and a wave of her hoof. “If there’s one thing I know about Twilight, it’s that she’s more prepared than any other pony I know! Besides, compared to her brother’s wedding, this was a LOT less stressful and overwhelming.”

“Yeah, I guess so,” replied Canvas with a small shrug and a roll of his eyes. “Lyra wouldn’t stop talking about that since I asked her and Bon-Bon to be my Best Mares.”

Rarity’s smile quickly vanished, and was replaced with a more worried stare. “She has? Ummm… like what?”

“Oh, nothing that big,” answered the pony as he looked back at her. “Just stuff like how she woke up in a crystal cave fighting over a destroyed bouquet.”

“Oh! Oh course…” Rarity chuckled meagerly and turned away from Canvas’ eyes of sight. After exhaling in relief, she nodded back at Canvas and Tenor before making her leave. “Well, let them know I’ll be at their shop soon. Ta-ta!”


Meanwhile, at Lyra and Bon-Bon’s sweet shop, the ‘Closed’ sign was hung at the front door while the two mares got prepared. However, that didn’t stop Missus Cake as she strolled into the shop cheerfully. After the bell above the door chimed, the pudgy blue mare waited at the empty front counter patiently. Only a couple seconds passed before Bon-Bon appeared at the doorway behind the counter, “I’m sorry, but we’re actually clo-- Oh! Hey there, Cupcake!”

“Hey, Bon-Bon,” said Missus Cake cheerfully back. “Carrot and I are almost finished baking the wedding cake, so I just wanted to drop by and get those wedding toppers you made.”

“Oh! Of course!” Bon-Bon trotted back to her living space while shouting out, “Don’t worry, I’ll be right back!”

The cream-colored mare went towards her hobby room, which had a thick combination over it to ensure certain ponies would stop breaking in. Unfortunately, as soon as she went to touch the knob, Bon-Bon pouted angrily as soon as she saw the lock was already undone. She groaned bitterly and rushed into the room while shouting, “LYRA! I told you not--”

Bon-Bon quickly stopped when she saw the room had no pony inside. There may have been lots of shelves of miniature pony figures that she made over the years, but no actual living pony; more specifically, her wife. Of course, when Bon-Bon caught glance of the empty space on the shelf where Troy and Canvas’ figures were supposed to be, she groaned even louder and exited the room. “Just a minute!” yelled the mare towards the front of the store before rushing to her bedroom. “I think Lyra has it!”

She could overhear Cupcake’s voice faintly as she said, “Oh dear. Not again…”

With an angered scowl on her face, Bon-Bon rushed into her bedroom to find that her wife wasn’t on the bed; however, she did hear the shower running from behind the closed door of the bathroom. Since the door was ajar, Bon-Bon had no qualms with walking inside to confront Lyra. Behind the shower curtain, the unicorn’s silhouette could be seen while accompanied by the glow of her magic. Bon-Bon also saw several small items floating around in front of Lyra as she spoke to herself. “Oh my goodness! You sure know how to make a pony feel better!”

“LYRA!!!”

“EEP!” Lyra yelped as her horn stopped glowing, making her wife’s figures fall to the floor of the tub. The unicorn popped her head out and shouted, “G-Get out! I’m taking a shower!”

Bon-Bon’s stern expression was unchanged as she held her hoof out. “Hand them over.”

“What?! Why? Er, I mean… I don’t know what you’re talking about.” That last part sounded fairly unconvincing on it’s own, and wasn’t helped as Lyra looked away from her wife with a guilty blush on her cheeks.

“Don’t give me that,” responded her wife bluntly. “The lock to my room is undone, the figures are missing, and Cupcake is at the front right now because she needs them for the cake!”

Lyra blinked a couple times while staring back at Bon-Bon, and then sighed painfully before disappearing behind the curtain. “Alright, fine…” Her horn lit back up, and the two figures of Troy and Canvas were floated over to Bon-Bon’s hoof. “Here you go.”

Even though Bon-Bon was satisfied with getting the figures for the wedding cake, her hoof remained outstretched as she said, “Give me the others too.”

“Oh, come on!” the unicorn whined. “You don’t need those!”

Now, Lyra!”

“URGH!” After poking her head out from the curtain for a second with a strong pout on her bottom lip, Lyra whinnied strongly and did as she was told. One by one, each figure that the mare swiped from Bon-Bon’s room was floated out of the shower. While she wanted to be happy to get them back, Bon-Bon’s expression turned more unwary with each figure that was brought back to her.

First it was Rainbow Dash…

Then Pinkie Pie…

Then Mister Cake…

Then Shining Armor…

Sombra…

Big Macintosh…

By the time all three figures of Troy’s older brothers were floated out, Bon-Bon shouted in shock, “Lyra, what were you DOING?!”

“Don’t ask,” mumbled Lyra in shame. Her head clearly seen hanging low through the curtain. Not wanting to know, Bon-Bon just exhaled and began to exit the bathroom with her things. But before she could go back to the front of the shop, Lyra, blurted, “Wait!”

While Bon-Bon was stopped, she saw her wife’s magic float one last figure towards her. “Here’s Cheese Sandwich too.”

Bon-Bon snatched the last figurine and yelled, “YOU NEED HELP!”


By the time Lyra was finished showering for real, Canvas was already at the sweet shop and getting his suit ready. While the pony got himself dressed in the couple’s bedroom, Lyra and Bon-Bon were in the kitchen with their dresses already on. Lyra was wearing a stunning gold gown that went beautifully with her eyes, and Bon-Bon was wearing a slimmer-looking blue dress that carried pink accents along the sides. Tenor, whose suit from the previous night was back on him again, was laying on the floor and staring up at the mares with a panting smile on his muzzle.

Lyra seemed especially giddy when she looked at herself in the mirror hung on the wall. “Oh my gosh, I can’t believe this!” She turned back to Bon-Bon and exclaimed, “I actually get a chance to be a Best Mare again! This hasn’t happened since Cadance’s wedding!”

While she was happy for Lyra, Bon-Bon tilted her head slightly and clarified, “Uhhh, weren’t you a Bridesmaid at that wedding?”

“Oh, potato, potahto,” replied the unicorn with a wave of her hoof. “I’m just saying, it’s nice to have this chance again.”

Bon-Bon could see how much this meant to her, and she couldn’t resist sighing with a smile. “Yeah, I suppose so…” She walked up to her wife as the two looked in the mirror together. “Man… we really know how to look good for a wedding that isn’t ours.”

“Well,” chimed Lyra with a smirk and a nudge against her, “it kinda helps that we don’t have to downplay ourselves for a mare in a white dress this time.”

The two mares giggled from that detail, and were quick to nuzzle each other lovingly. Meanwhile, the bell from the front door chimed again before Twilight Sparkle’s voice was heard. “Hello? It’s me!”

“Oh, we’re back here, Twi!” shouted Lyra back at her. “Come on in!”

Unlike anyone else in the room, Twilight wasn’t dressed when she trotted into the kitchen with Spike sitting on her back. The dragon had his suit on already, and his emerald eyes widened at the sight of Lyra and Bon-Bon’s dresses. “Whoa! Rarity really outdid herself, didn’t she?”

“Don’t you know it!” Lyra then did a little twirl in her gown while giggling to herself. She then stopped before adding, “We actually got these from her new Canterlot shop! It was a little pricey, but totally worth it!”

Bon-Bon chuckled and said, “Well, yours was pricey. I was just lucky to find this one at a discounted price. Something about the fabric colors going off, but it honestly goes perfect with my mane like this.”

Twilight took a closer look at the Earth Pony’s dress and nodded in agreement. “You know, I think you’re right on that one.”

“So, where’s your dress, Twi?” Lyra asked curiously. “Shouldn’t you be getting ready too?”

“Well, I still have a lot of things to double-check before the ceremony, and I’d rather not do all of that while in a dress.” She then shuffled a little at the thought of her outfit and added reluctantly, “Plus, that Royal regalia I have to wear is really uncomfortable, and I’d rather not wear it when I don’t need to.”

“Are you kidding?” asked Lyra with a smirked scoff. “If I was a Princess, I’d be wearing that stuff every chance I got!”

“I know, right?” added Spike in agreement while still atop Twilight’s back.

Twilight rolled her eyes and decided to change the topic as she said, “Nevertheless, I just wanted to check up on Canvas before the ceremony begins. Is his suit on yet?”

“Yep!” chirped Canvas’ voice from the hallway. The group all turned to see the stallion, their eyes widening when he came into the kitchen.

Canvas’ wedding tux was absolutely immaculate, with a freshly-pressed off-black jacket that went swimmingly well with the white shirt and aqua tie underneath. His shaggy mane wasn’t combed back or anything, but it somehow seemed to fit better with his overall appearance. His hooves didn’t have any shoes covering them, but that only helped to make his white gold ring stand out even more. When Tenor walked up to the stallion to sniff at the fabric, the ponies were happy to see that the Saint Bernard’s jacket matched Canvas’ perfectly.

Lyra whistled in approval. “Dang, Canvas! Lookin' good! You should really wear suits more often!”

That made the stallion giggle in embarrassment as his face exploded with a blush. “Oh, stop it!” he said bashfully while looking away with a hoof covering his face. Tenor used the opportunity to try and jump up and lick at him. "Gah! Tenor!"

Twilight giggled at Canvas’ reaction to that compliment, as well as Tenor’s affection. Spike leaned to the side as he looked at the suit with narrowed eyes. “Hmmm… why didn’t you get a black tie? I mean, you’d probably look more suave with that sorta thing. Like a secret agent!”

“Pbbt!” Bon-Bon rolled her eyes at the drake’s comment. “Oh, please! Canvas doesn’t have the build for an agent at all! Most of those guys are really burly and have lots of scars and stuff. Plus, if you really want to sneak into a place for a big mission, a janitor's outfit is more--”

After a quick nudge from Lyra, Bon-Bon stammered a little and added, “Er! I mean, from what I’ve read in novels in stuff. Heh heh...” She then smiled strangely wide and looked around the room nervously.

Canvas just shrugged and looked down at his custom-made tie. “Well, I didn’t want to just wear a black tie for my own wedding. Everypony does that! I wanted to stand out for this occasion.”

While Spike shrugged his shoulders too, the front door of the shop opened again before Rainbow Dash’s voice shouted out, “Yo Twi! You in here?”

Twilight shouted back at her, “We’re in the kitchen!”

When the pegasus appeared at the doorway, she wasn’t wearing her dress either; although, that was much less surprising given her attitude about wearing girly clothes (or clothes itself, for that matter). Upon entering the kitchen, the first thing she did was whistle at the sight of Canvas’ suit. “Wow! That tailor guy really knows his stuff! Oh! That reminds me.” She then turned back to Twilight and handed her a parchment. “Here’s the list of everything that’s finished. Troy and his brothers are all suited up already.”

“Great!” said Twilight as she looked through the list with an approving smile. “Any problems so far?”

“Nope!” answered Dash proudly. She looked back at Canvas and added with a smile, “And believe me, dude. Troy looks amazing. You're gonna be a lucky husband.”

Canvas smiled back at her as his blush increased tenfold. “Th-Thanks, Dash,” he said happily.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

“Ugh…” At hearing knocking from the front of the shop, Bon-Bon groaned and rubbed her forehead to soothe a headache. “Why can’t ponies read the closed sign?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll get it,” said Dash before disappearing to the front of the shop. As she trotted away, they could hear the front door opening and a new set of hooves entering the store. They then heard Rainbow say, “Hey, listen. The shop is actually…”

POW!!!

After the sound of that punch, the group all rushed out of the kitchen when they heard loud crashing from the front of the shop. Canvas was behind all the others, so all he saw were the backs of his friends as he overheard Dash screaming furiously, “YOU GET THE BUCK OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW!!!”

When the mares got to the shop first, Canvas heard all of them gasp in shock. While Tenor ran around and barked in a worried frenzy, Canvas had to push through Lyra and Bon-Bon to see who it was that Rainbow Dash was fighting with. As soon as he saw the green stallion that Dash was pushing against the wall, he gasped even louder than his friends.

SLAM!!!

Dash wasn’t holding back in the slightest, and slammed the stallion’s face against the wall like she was trying to break it. One of her hooves had a death grip on his hair as she growled into his ear, “You have a LOT of nerve to show up back here!”

Before she could do anything else, Rainbow felt herself get pulled away from the pony by Twilight Sparkle’s magic. However, that was less for of the safety of the stallion, and more because the Princess wanted to ensure it was the one they thought it was. When Twilight caught a glance of the golden leaf on the pony’s flank, her eyes widened before her magic dissipated.

Canvas saw it too, but he already knew who it was the instant he saw his face. The stallion's fur may have not been as faded as the last time they met, but it was still much less the shade of green that Canvas remembered back in Gallop Creek.

Canvas' breathing became faint as he blurted out in a mix of shock and fear. “Da-... Copper?”

Author's Note: