• Published 24th Mar 2016
  • 3,935 Views, 524 Comments

Brushed Away 3: Hearts Entwined - TheVClaw



As the spring season resurfaces across Equestria, Troy and Canvas are just about to embark on the biggest event in their lives. Of course, neither of them realized just how intense or stressful a wedding can really be.

  • ...
15
 524
 3,935

Chapter Nineteen: The Omnivore

Breakfast wasn’t held at the Clawston house like usual the following morning, since Troy and Canvas’ wedding was only two days away. Because lot of work still needed to be done before the ceremonies, the family instead gathered at dining hall in Twilight Sparkle’s castle so a second couldn’t be wasted. The Princess herself had quite a proud smile as she and Spike got the delicacies prepared and sent to the waiting gryphons.

“No friggin way!” shouted Blaze when he saw the arrangement that the Princess floated out towards the table. Along with a large platter of freshly baked ham, there were also plates of bacon, sausage, and other staples like eggs and toast. Blaze was the first to stab an especially large slice of ham with his fork to put on his plate. “Is this actual meat!?”

Twilight’s smile may have had an uncomfortable skew, but she still answered with a nod of her head. “Yes it is. Granted, it was a little awkward asking Celestia for a shipment to be brought to this castle, but Angela’s doctor’s notes were more than enough for her help to get these from the Gryphon Kingdom.”

“Oh my goodness!” Even Angela looked surprised as she carefully pulled some link sausages from the platter, seeing just how high quality the pork really was. “You really went above and beyond for us, Princess!”

“Oh, it was nothing,” said Twilight with a small blush as she shrugged bashfully. “I already said I’d make the proper amenities for your health when you showed me that note. Plus, learning how to cook meat was a fairly interesting experience.”

Spike chortled a little while rolling a cart full of coffee pots behind the Princess. “Interesting? You almost threw up while cooking!”

“No I didn’t!” snapped Twilight with a stern stare down at the dragon. She then exhaled briefly before clarifying to the family. “I really didn’t throw up! The food was properly prepared in a clean environment.”

Blane swallowed a beak full of ham and bacon when he said, “Hey, I don’t taste barf!”

Even though he was upset by his son’s words, he kept his tone more sympathetic as he said to the Princess, “Well, you didn’t have to prepare the meat yourself, Your Highn--I mean Twilight.” He coughed a little as he tried to recover from that accidental slip of a term he knew the Alicorn disliked hearing in private. “I’m just saying that any of us could’ve helped out if it was too uncomfortable for you.”

Canvas nodded while pouring himself a hearty helping of what looked to be mushroom gravy on top of his biscuits. “Yeah, definitely,” he said as he put the gravy boat back at the middle of the table. “The smell of bacon is pretty hard to get used to.”

Upon realizing what he just said, the stallion almost fell out of his chair when he jolted upright and added, “I-I mean, from what I heard about it! Heh heh heh… I wasn’t implying th-that I know personally or anything! I… I read about it somewhere and--”

“Canvas,” interrupted Twilight as she put out her hoof to silence him. Luckily, she also kept a surprisingly calm smile as she said, “you don’t have to explain it to us.”

“Yeah,” said Spike as he got into his seat before Twilight. “I’m pretty sure the whole town knows you two have meat at your house!”

“WHAT?!”

From the looks on Troy and Canvas’ faces, their response seemed more fitting to if Spike just confessed to murder. The rest of the Clawston family looked worried as well, but all of them stayed frozen in case any of the blame shifted to them. However, Twilight had a smile just as relaxed as Spike’s as she got into her seat as well. “Well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration,” admitted the Princess while floating some eggs to her plate with her magic, “but there have been a lot of talks about whether or not that rumor is true.”

Spike chuckled at the sight of the couple’s paling faces. “And guessing by how both of you look right now, I’m guessing those rumors are true.”

Troy tried to sputter out a response while his feathers remain slicked down in unease. “Wh-what do you mean?! I mean, who’s been saying that about us?! And how would they know?!”

If they were right,” added Canvas insistently.

“Oh, you two don’t have to act so worried! Nopony is judging you two in the slightest.” After she got her plate prepared, Twilight kept her attention on the two while floating her fork around. “And to answer your question, I think the first pony to figure it out was your pharmacist, Troy. If you didn’t want ponies to think you started eating meat again, then you probably shouldn’t have stopped picking up protein pills a couple months ago.”

Troy felt like he was shrinking in his seat in that realization. Canvas just stared his fiancè with a confounded look. “You really stopped picking those up?”

“W-Well I kept carrying the pill bottle around!” blurted Troy back at him. “I thought that was enough!”

While Canvas groaned and face-hoofed at the gryphon’s excuse, Twilight continued with a casual tone of voice. “Honestly, that wasn’t the only reason. The Cakes mentioned how you got their old deep freezer around the same time Angela had a large delivery come in from the Gryphon Kingdom. And from what Lyra and Bon-Bon told me, that freezer is mysteriously vacant in your house.”

Twilight sported a cocky smile after finishing her analysis, secretly wishing she still had Pinkie Pie’s detective hat. Spike finished chewing on a doughnut stuffed with emeralds and said, “Plus, you keep getting huge deliveries from the country on a regular basis. I mean, it’s pretty clear you aren’t just getting art supplies from there.”

Canvas winced openly as he sucked air in through his teeth. Twilight then sighed before adding one final detail to the two. “And just for the record, just because we’re vegetarian, doesn’t mean we don’t know what meat smells like. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie visited the Gryphon Kingdom a while back, remember? Dash could smell bacon coming from your house every morning!”

“Ugh... “ Troy hung his head low in a mix of guilt and stupidity as he realized just how obvious their cooking habits really were. “I should’ve known you guys were catching on.”

Blade huffed with an impressed smirk while staring at the Princess. “Wow! It’s probably hard for ponies to recommend you a good mystery novel, huh?”

“Are you kidding?” asked Spike as he tried not to snicker. “She drove Rarity nuts because she kept guessing the killers in her mystery novels correctly!”

“Well, the writer made the foreshadowing pretty predictable in the first five chapters of each story!” Twilight then sighed pertly before returning the conversation back to Troy and Canvas. “All we’re saying is that we don’t really mind. Even though meat is a taboo subject in Equestria, most of us understand that it’s necessary for a lot of non-Equestrian species. So as long as the meat you have isn’t Equestrian-based, you two have nothing to worry about.”

Even though that information was definitely a relief for the couple, they both seemed rather silent as they came down from the overwhelming thought that they were going to get in major trouble for their actions. As the two tried to get themselves together, Angela spoke up in a feeble and apologetic tone. “Ummm… yes,” admitted the gryphoness guiltily. “They have been getting meat, and it was entirely my idea. So if anyone is going to pay fines for illegal transport, I’ll do it with no question.”

“ANGELA!” shouted Jonas in shock.

Twilight spoke up before Angela’s husband could say anything else. “That won’t be necessary, Missus Clawston. All that I ask is for your assurance that what you send is non-Equestrian meat. I’ll even provide the paperwork for the proper licenses if necessary.”

Both Angela and Jonas were surprised to say the least. Even though they were worried that they would get under hot water for their involvement, Angela was the first to speak thankfully. “W-Well, ummm… We couldn’t be more thankful for that, Princess. And rest assured, we have only sent Gryphon Kingdom products.”

“Yeah,” blurted Jonas with a strong and rapid nod of his head. “Definitely! No animals with that Equestrian enchantment thing are harmed.”

Twilight nodded to both of them, not needing to further clarify that the two were being truthful. Blaze blinked a couple times before saying, “I was meaning to ask something. That enchantment thing Equestria has which makes animals talk… is that the same one that has you guys singing musical numbers at random?”

Twilight peered at Blaze with a confused expression. Spike nodded after finishing his plate. “Yeah. Believe me, I find it just as weird, and even I get affected by it sometimes!”

While Spike took a drink from his glass of milk, Twilight scoffed with a roll of her eyes. “Oh please!” said the Princess playfully. “I doubt it’s that much different from you singing showtunes in the shower.”

Spike violently spat out a mouthful of milk while the triplets started laughing. “TWI!”


After breakfast, the preparation work that still needed to be done for the wedding was handled by the family within the castle. Twilight was looking through a well-detailed list she made that contained the remaining details, and went around to make sure everyone was doing their part. She decided to check up on Blane first, who was lying on one of the plush couches napping. The Princess cleared her throat annoyedly to get his attention. “Blane?”

“Yep!” The massive gryphon pulled himself up to make himself appear awake and coherent. Of course, if Angela was in the room, she would’ve seen that he was giving the same faux-conscious vibe that he’d use every morning before just falling back into bed.

Nevertheless, Twilight looked back at her list and asked, “Do you know when your shipment of floral arrangements is due to come in?”

When she looked back at the gryphon, Twilight grew irritated when she saw that Blane fell back against the couch while she wasn’t looking. She grew an upset scowl and shouted, “Blane!”

“Tomorrow,” muttered Blane without opening his eyes. He turned himself around so he was facing the back of the couch. “The… the flowers are gonna…grrrgbr... and then I’ll… rrabbabla... lime goes in the coconut…”

Twilight just stared with a befuddled look, not understanding what his tired mumblings were adding up to. After less than ten seconds of silence, she got fed up when she heard him snoring. “BLANE!”

“I told you already!” groaned the gryphon before lifting himself up again. After making an exasperated sigh to momentarily clear his grogginess, he looked up at her and “repeated” himself. “Don’t worry about the flowers, Princess. I got them processed at the shipping depot before coming out here. They’re scheduled to arrive tomorrow at noon, and those mares in the florist district already have a place to store them until the wedding.”

Even though she wasn’t exactly a fan of the gryphon’s lazy demeanor while answering her question, he was at least detailed enough to make her smile and nod. “Well, that’s all I need to hear. Thank you.”

“Mmmhmm.” After giving a tired wave of his claw, the gryphon settled back in his chair with a satisfied groan. Twilight sighed and went over to the table where Troy and Canvas were going over their own lists.

“So guys,” began the Alicorn while checking off the floral details, “do you know when the caterers Angela hired will be here?”

Troy didn’t even look up from his binder and said, “Dad is at the station right now waiting for their train to come in.”

Canvas added, “And Angela said the Cakes already have all the necessary ingredients for Gryphon Scones, so the two gryphons coming in should be prepared.”

“Hmmm…” Twilight tried to recall the plans that Angela sent her before she and Jonas arrived to Equestria, but she was drawing a big enough blank to make her ask, “Do you know who she brought out here to help?”

“Eh, one of her employees at the plant, I think.” Troy then looked up from his paperwork to clarify. “You know, the one that made Mom start that ordinance for the company. I don’t remember her name, but it’s her and her girlfriend.”

“That’s alright. I was just wanting to ask.” Twilight checked the next item off the list, and her muzzle skewed as she realized there was a lot she wanted to ask Angela about. However, due to some misunderstanding that occurred at Fluttershy’s yesterday, she and Blade were there to help the Pegasus fix her door and feed her animals. So, the Alicorn had to put her questions on hold as she went to see what Blaze and Lyle were doing.

Both gryphons were huddled at an end table, scribbling items into some scrap paper like resistance fighters planning their next attack. The Princess peered over their shoulders to see what they were up to. “So… is this for the bachelor party?”

“Yep!” chirped Lyle as he turned around towards Twilight. “I mean, these are mostly just small ideas about what we could do. Blaze here already got the big details rolled out.”

Blaze grinned wide as he picked up his paper to tuck underneath his wing. “That’s right! We already got the booze and venues specced out, so we’re pretty much solid.” He then glanced up at Twilight with a thankful nod as he added, “And since you said most ponies around here are alright with the whole meat thing, we were thinking of trying to get the materials for a good barbecue smoker!”

Twilight’s expression quickly soured at that idea. She shuddered before saying authoritatively, “Listen, just because most ponies understand, doesn’t mean that you guys can just go all out with meat cooking. I don’t want to receive a bunch of complaints because you guys decided to cook a whole pig where ponies can see or smell it!”

Blaze and Lyle’s eyes both shot wide open, which Twilight assumed was due to realization or something. Unfortunately, their frozen looks soon turned to excited smiles as they looked back at each other. “Dude a roast pig sounds WAY better!” shouted Lyle enthusiastically.

“Yeah, totally!” Blaze leaned out towards Troy’s direction to ask, “Yo Troy! You still got that pig in your freezer?”

Twilight’s mouth was hung open in shock, and she wasn’t able to stop them as she heard Troy shout, “Actually yeah, we do! I haven’t been able to do anything with it yet, so that’d be perfect!”

Canvas sighed in a brief bout of relief while leaning his head against one of his hooves. “Hey, as long I don’t have to see that dead pig in the freezer anymore, do what you want with it. Just leave me out of it.”

“Deal!” Troy happily put his claw in a fist in front of his fiancè, and Canvas rolled his eyes with a smirk before giving him a hoofbump of approval.

“Ahh, marriage,” said the stallion in a sarcastic tone while going back to his papers. “How romantic.”

Twilight was in a stunned state which left her completely speechless. When Spike came in from the kitchen with what looked to be a bunch of gems wrapped in a tortilla, he noticed how she looked and asked, “Ummm… what did you do?”

“I’m asking myself that same question,” said the Princess in a faint and nervous tone of voice.

“Hey, Spike!” shouted Blaze. “You know which bathtub here is the biggest?”

Spike took a bite from his wrap and pondered while chewing. “Hmmm…”

“Wait,” said Twilight in a much sterner tone as she stared at Blaze and Lyle. “Is that question related to the pig in any way?”

Blaze’s excited smile seemed to lessen a little from that question. Lyle quickly intervened with a follow-up question, “Uhhh, do you know where we can find a bathtub? Like, to buy?”

“That’s better,” said the Alicorn with a threatening point at both of them.

After swallowing, Spike shrugged and answered honestly, “Well, I don’t know any place around here that sells them, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the junkyard had some--”

The sound of Troy sniffing made Spike stop his words. When he looked over at the gryphon, Spike’s heart shot to his throat when he saw Troy staring right at him. The drake tried to turn around to avoid Troy’s wide-eyed glance.

“Wait a minute!” shouted the silver Gryphon before Spike could take a single step back to the kitchen. “Why do I smell bacon?”

Twilight turned her attention towards Spike confusedly, seeing that his face was starting to turn red. While Blaze and Lyle stared at him as well, the dragon shakily looked around and tried to make a fake chuckle. “Uhh… heh heh heh, I… I guess I still smell like it after making breakfast! I better go and wash myself off right now!”

Spike attempted to make a run for it, but Twilight’s purple aura of magic swooped him off the ground before he got the chance. “Spike, what are you hiding?” asked the Princess suspiciously.

While floating in the Alicorn’s magic, Spike put his claws behind behind his back and blurted, “N-Nothing! I’m not hiding anything, I swear!”

Canvas leaned back in his chair with narrowed eyes while seeing Spike’s behavior. “He said while clearly hiding something behind his back.”

Twilight didn’t bother to ask Spike what he had, and instead just pulled it from his claws with her magic. While the dragon stayed suspended in her aura helplessly, the Princess floated his snack over to her and had it unwrapped. She gasped when she saw more than just gems inside that tortilla. “SPIKE!”

Lyle and Blade covered their beaks and tried to cover up their low, shocked sounding snickers at the sight of what the drake had. Troy and Canvas looked surprised as well, not expecting to see a half-eaten strip of bacon in the middle of that gem cluster. Meanwhile, Spike just stayed floated in the shocked Princess’ magic, fiddling his claws together with a timid smile. “Uhhh, heh heh heh… Oops?”

“Spike, why in Equestria are you eating BACON?!”

Blane woke back up and rose from the couch. “Mrgh, wuzzat about bacon?”

“Alright, alright!” Even though he looked beyond mortified, the drake sighed painfully as he realized he wasn’t going to get out of this so easily. So, he kept his composure in check as he spoke to Twilight from within the aura. “It… It’s exactly what it looks like…”

Spike cringed as he saw Twilight’s shocked expression intensify after that confession. As he was lowered to the ground by her magic, the dragon tried to add pleadingly, “But I swear, this isn’t a regular thing, alright?! I really don’t consider myself a meat eater!”

“Hold up!” Lyle had a particularly narrow stare on the dragon as he asked, “Are you saying you’ve eaten meat before?”

Twilight’s eyes widened in fear, not wanting to think that question needed to be asked. Unfortunately, Spike’s growing blush was as good of an answer than anything that could’ve came out of his mouth. After making a very feeble nod, he lifted a claw with two digits raised. “T-twice…”

Canvas covered his muzzle with a hoof, which helped to hide the gaped expression which seemed to mimic Twilight’s at that moment. Meanwhile, Blaze turned over to where Blane was at and shouted, “Dude! Blade owes us money!”

“TWICE?!” screamed Twilight in horror. “Wh… Why did you… Where did you get meat in the first place?!”

“Let me explain!” shouted Spike back at the Princess before she could freak out any further. “I never killed any animals, and I never will! Both times I tried it were when I was offered it!”

“By who?!”

By now, Twilight looked more upset at the dragon than she did shocked. Spike meekly tapped his claws together again as he struggled to keep from looking worried. “W-Well… The first time was back when we lived in Canterlot and… Celestia had those Gryphon Dignitaries staying at the castle…”

Twilight’s brows rose, remembering when that happened. It wasn’t that long before she and Spike were sent to Ponyville in the first place. From what she recalled, those gryphons were given meat by Celestia as an offer of peace, and greatly helped to strengthen their nations’ bonds.

“I…” Spike continued in a more guilty tone as he looked down to the ground. “I was offered a piece of bacon by one of them, and… You always say yourself that I should be open to more things…”

Twilight covered her face with a hoof as she groaned, not wanting to explain to her assistant that her statement wasn’t meant to be used in that context.

“But…” Even though it was obvious he didn’t want to keep going, Spike shrugged his shoulders and said, “Honestly… it really wasn’t that bad. It was kinda like a saltlick, but… savorier. Plus, it had a really good smoky aftertaste that lingered for a while. And the crispiness really went well with that soft fat that almost melted on my to--”

“SPIKE!” barked the Princess as her blushed demeanor became impatient. The dragon instantly realized how he have have looked as he blushed in shame.

“Hooo, boy,” muttered Troy as he saw how much Spike was biting his lip. “I guess that left an impression.”

Twilight ignored Troy’s words and asked her assistant, “When was the second time you did it?!”

Spike was looking timid again as he answered, “Umm… during that trip to the dragon lands?”

Twilight lowered her head and sighed. “You mean with those dragons you were with?”

“Y-Yeah,” confessed the drake with a nod. “They were cooking up some stuff, and I didn’t want to refuse and look rude, so…”

Twilight nodded understandably, knowing personally that Spike had a lot of peer pressure that day. “Okay, I get it.”

Seeing how upset his friend looked, Spike felt especially bad with his head bowed in front of her. But before he could try to say anything, Twilight spoke first. “So… you like meat?”

A couple seconds passed, but Spike was able to reply by nodding reluctantly. “Well… I like bacon, at least.”

Despite the awkward tone regarding Twilight and Spike’s conversation, Blane and Blaze could still be heard snickering at the dragon’s expense. “Oh man,” said Blane while still sitting on the couch, “even Equestrians like bacon!”

“Guys!” barked Twilight in a threatening enough tone to make them both shut up. She then sighed briefly before turning her attention back to Spike. Her face showed more remorse than anything else when she saw how guilty he looked, which made her take the initiative to make things right. “Spike…”

Spike didn’t look up to see her face after hearing her words, but he did react when he heard her hoofsteps come towards him. When he finally glanced up at her, it was only a second before the Princess wrapped her hooves around him for a comforting hug. “It’s okay, Spike,” assured Twilight with a more motherly voice. “I’m not mad at you, okay? If you like meat, then I won’t try to stop you. It doesn’t make me love you any less.”

Spike’s eyes were widened in surprise, much like everyone else’s. Nevertheless, he still took a moment before hugging Twilight back tightly. Troy and Canvas both made “Awwws” at the sight of it, but it seemed to be ignored by the Alicorn and the drake. When she pulled back, Twilight made sure to add in a more insistent tone, “But! I’d like to do some experiments first, just to make sure it won’t affect your anatomy or anything.”

Spike huffed with a deflated look. “Oh, come on!”

“Don’t ‘Oh, come on’ me, young dragon! After that dragon greed incident, I’d rather not take any chances on unknown variables.”

Even though he wanted to say something against it, Spike knew he didn’t have much leeway when it came to Twilight’s scientific prowess. So, he just sighed in defeat with a roll of his eyes. “Okay, fine!”

While Twilight smiled in satisfaction and hugged Spike again, Blane looked over at his brothers confusedly. “Uhhh…” He bent in closer towards them and tried to whisper, “What kind of experiments do you think she does?”

Blaze looked over at the Princess while she was hugging and shrugged. “I dunno. Probably not the same experiments I’d fantasize about.”

Twilight’s ears perked up rather quickly after he said that. By the time the Princess whipped her head around with a concerned look, all she saw were brown feathers where Blaze and Blane were seated. Lyle was still in his chair, but blinked a couple times in surprise while looking around the vacant spaces.

Troy looked befuddled as well, and he turned to see Canvas giving him a cheeky stare. “Jeez," said the stallion, "and they accused Blade of being a perv.”


Later that day, Troy and Canvas were finally able to get out of the castle to check up on one of the final details of their wedding: the catering. Since Jonas picked up the two gryphons Angela hired, the couple decided to check up on them while they were at Sugar Cube Corner. However, while the two walked down Ponyville’s main street side-by-side, they were stopped when overhearing Rainbow Dash’s voice from above. “Hey guys!”

Troy and Canvas looked up to see the technicolor-maned pegasus swoop down from the skies, and landed with a perfect and unnecessary loop in front of them. After she flicked her mane back with a practiced crane of her neck that seemed more expectant of Rarity, Dash looked over at Canvas as she said, “I was just looking for you guys! Well, I guess you, mostly.”

“Me?” asked the stallion puzzledly. While he certainly considered Rainbow Dash to be a friend, he honestly thought that she would want to talk with Troy about most things. Before Canvas could ask what she wanted to see him for, he saw her pull out a newspaper that was tucked under one of her forelegs.

“I just got this issue from Cloudsdale,” began Dash as she handed the newspaper to Canvas, “and there was an article about that art auction you guys were at.”

Canvas opened the newspaper to the page she was pointing at, and his eyes shot wide open when he saw the article name. Troy bent in to see as well, and was equally surprised when he read the title:

Gallop Creek High School Under Major Investigation After Canvas Controversy

“Whoa!” Troy tilted his head as he tried to read the article alongside his fiancè. “Is this for real?!”

“It looks like it,” replied Canvas before he narrowed his eyes on the piece. A particular paragraph caught his attention as he started to read it out loud. “Along with the countless bullying claims which were proven to be true by staff and townsponies, many members of the Gallop Creek school board have resigned after allegations of money laundering surfaced during investigations...”

Canvas continued to read, but kept his words to himself as he scanned the rest of the exposè. Troy’s beak opened on its own when he saw just how much damage the school was under. Along with Principal Edelweiss and over half the faculty resigning from their jobs, it seemed that the district itself may bottom out completely due to the shady dealings listed. “Holy…”

Dash huffed with a nod. “Yeah, I know. I read it on the way over here. Makes Flight Academy look like a walk in the clouds.”

“Yeah, I bet,” muttered Canvas as he kept most of his attention on the article. When he reached the end, his eyes widened when he caught a quote from Edelweiss herself at the ending paragraph.

Despite refusing to hold an interview, Edelweiss was recorded making a statement as she left the school with her belongings. “Canvas was never a student of this school. Any of the allegations made in relation to him are false, and this district will not connect ourselves with his name in any way.”

Following this quote, it has been revealed that the Gallop Creek district will undergo an emergency restaffing over the summer. A new staff and faculty are expected to take the school’s place in the fall, who will hopefully help to move past the tarnished reputation the community has given itself following Canvas’ words.

When Troy finished reading as well, he looked over at his fiancè to make sure he was alright. Fortunately, the stallion looked like he was trying not to laugh with delight while a large smile was plastered on his face. “Wow!” blurted the stallion with a chuckle while rereading Edelweiss’ quotation. “I guess I don’t have to worry about getting any more of those stupid letters!”

“Seriously?” asked Rainbow in surprise. “You mean you’re not, like… mad or anything?”

“Why would I be mad?!” Canvas looked up at Dash with a baffled expression before saying, “That school was a living Tartarus for me! This is one of the best things I’ve seen all month!”

Canvas then giggled as he glanced down at the article and added, “Honestly, after all the time I spent wanting to leave that place behind, it’s good to know that the feeling is finally mutual.”

Despite still being surprised he was so happy about what was said in the article, Rainbow Dash shrugged while Canvas placed the paper in his art bag. “Thanks, Dash!”

“Yeah, thanks, Rainbow,” added Troy with an appreciative smile of his own. “I’m really glad you found that for us.”

“Actually, Derpy found it. But still, I’m glad I could help.” While rubbing the back of her head, Dash stared at the two and asked, “So, I take it you’re done organizing stuff at Twi’s place?”

“For now,” answered Canvas with a small huff, “But we still wanted to check on the caterers Angela hired for the wedding. They’re actually the first gay couple she met back home, and she wanted them to help prepare things before the ceremony.”

“Yeah,” added Troy as he motioned to the bakery nearby. “They’re supposed to be at Sugar Cube Corner right now getting things organized. We figured it’d be good to meet them and see if their Gryphon Scones are as good as Mom said they are.”

Dash’s brows raised in slight suspicion. “Gryphon Scones?” Before either of them could nod, the pegasus’ head whipped around to the bakery with her eyes widening. “No… way…”


“Urgh!” Despite how much she tried to knead the dough, the tan and white gryphoness was growing more aggravated by the second as her claws felt practically glued with the mixture. “For crying out loud, what kind of flour is this?! Greta, did you switch the bags or something!?”

The other gryphoness, who had a green tint over her face feathers instead of purple like the first one, was walking behind her with a bowl of acorns. “Come on, Gilda. We talked about this,” said Greta in a quiet and slightly accented tone. “You promised you wouldn’t blow up like the last time you were here.”

“I’m not!” groaned Gilda with a huff before turning around to face her. “I’m just saying that this dough is WAY stickier than the stuff we had back home!”

“Then add more flour!” Trying not to undermine her girlfriend’s anger, she walked away from Gilda while hiding her smirk and added, “Seriously, you’re supposed to be the expert on these. Not me.”

“Oh, hardy har har!” Even though she was glad to even be allowed back in this place after her last trip to Ponyville, the gryphoness sighed as she got back to fixing her dough with more flour. “I’m just saying, these ingredients have to be a different brand or something! I don’t know what Pinkie Pie buys, but th--AAHHH!!!”

The partified squawk from her girlfriend made Greta turn back to her in a panic. Gilda was frozen while the dough was stuck to her talons, and her beak hung open when she saw a familiar face staring at her from the serving window. Greta saw who it was too, and tilted her head at the sight of Rainbow Dash and her shocked expression. The pegasus had her muzzle hung open momentarily before finally responding with:

“Oh… My… GOSH!!!”

Author's Note:

Before anyone asks, this story is obviously in a different universe than my story Mother Fluffer. Still, I recommend checking it out if you want to read a good crackship.