• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 296 Views, 3 Comments

Rule-Breaking Nuisance - Shimmer Shy



Ponies can break the rules sometimes, and Mage and Sportsy definitely break them a lot. As a friendship forms between the two of them, they share their problems and secrets with one another.

  • ...
1
 3
 296

Mage's POV

I looked at the purple allicorn in front of me, right into her sapphire blue eyes, though I could tell she was trying to hide them with her brown hair. In contrast to my own orange-y eyes, her beautiful eyes were like diamonds, and mine were the dirty, brown stone they were mined from. She gave a little smile, but didn't speak, she was probably trying to get me to go away or to leave her alone or something. I wasn't expecting her to speak, anyway, since I and everypony else knew her as the shy one, and nopony wants to be friends with the shy one. It looked like I was going to have to start this conversation myself, which I'd hoped wouldn't happen.
Being a changeling in disguise and trying to hide my identity, I would have preferred to keep a low profile and stay quiet, but having no friends would only draw attention to me. Originally I considered not having a Cutie-Mark, as a Cutie-Mark would make me unique and make me stand out, but then I realised that would only draw me even more attention. So I have a pair of glasses with headphones attached to them. This mostly represents the fact that I'm quite the nerd and fanfilly over video games.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no sound came out, just a frantic squeak. I tried again, but I kept choking on my words every time I made a little progress. Then, I shut my eyes, and tried to imagine I was at my dusty “home” on my own again, talking to myself in the misty, broken mirror. I opened my mouth and finally spoke as clear as a crystal.

“Hi, I'm Mage. I've seen you walking around school before, and I wanted to know if you’d like to be my...” I said, my voice shaking and breaking off at the end. I opened my amber eyes, and she was still looking at me, though with a little bit of concern. As if from nowhere, a strange feeling fizzed my stomach. It was a warm sensation that bubbled all the way up my spine and all the way down to my hooves. The warmth spread through me, and I knew at once that this was what it felt like to be loved. For a second, I was a little worried that I may be stealing her love, but then the thought was dismissed as another thought came into the back of my mind, and echoed around.

This purple pony, whose name I didn't even know, had given me what I had always wanted; a friend. At that moment, I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to talk, and never EVER stop talking. I had a friend! I’d actually done it! But even better, I felt real for once in my life! I felt like somepony cared for me! I felt like I was Mage, and like I could face the world. I didn't feel like a fake; a fraud. I felt like a pony, and not a changeling.

As soon as I opened my mouth to speak again, I don’t think it closed for at least half an hour. I continued talking, not once did I stop, and when I’d finished I found myself gasping for air like a puppy who had just finished a run. But I looked up and smiled at my new friend, and she gave me a small smile back.