• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 296 Views, 3 Comments

Rule-Breaking Nuisance - Shimmer Shy



Ponies can break the rules sometimes, and Mage and Sportsy definitely break them a lot. As a friendship forms between the two of them, they share their problems and secrets with one another.

  • ...
1
 3
 296

Sportsy Sketch's POV

"So, do you have any questions?"

I thought for a second. Mage had already answered the majority of my questions earlier. But there was still one thing I was wondering about. "Well, uh..." I hesitated. I didn't want to make her feel bad. Eventually, I spoke up. "Did you have any other friends before me? Pony friends, I mean."

Mage opened her mouth to speak, but closed it again, a frown appearing on her face. "Actually, yes." She lowered her head. "I-I don't like to talk about it."

I gave her a sympathetic smile. "Don't worry about it. I won't force you. Just know that you can tell me anything." I told her, and meant it.

Mage looked up with a slight smile. "Thank you." I nodded back. The room fell silent for a few moments, and my mind began to wander. I thought about changelings and ponies, friends and enemies, loyalty and betrayal and trust. I could only imagine how often she must think about those things, as well.

She must have also zoned out, because she shook her head, noticing the awkward situation we were in. "Um, anyway, it's getting late. You should probably go before it gets too dark."

I glanced at the window next to Mage's bed to see she was right. The sky was almost completely black apart from the stars dotting it and the full moon, which shone brightly down on Ponyville. "Yeah. Thanks for having me over." I started on my way to the door, but gave her a quick hug before leaving. "And thanks for being my friend."

She hugged me back. "You too. Do you want to meet up again tomorrow? Since there's no school?"

"Sure," I replied. "Maybe I can show you my house this time." She nodded, and I started on the walk home.

That night, Mage haunted my dreams. Well, not only Mage. There were also other changelings. They had started a war against ponies, and then...then my alarm clock blared and startled me awake. Thinking I had school, I rushed out of bed to get ready in lightning speed, until realizing it was Saturday. I had forgotten to change my alarm clock. Luckily I would be ready when Mage got here.

There was a knock at the door, and of course, when I opened it, there was Mage, a scarf hanging loosely around her neck. The freezing temperature of Winter drifted in through the open door, so I motioned for her to come in.

"Wow, your house is amazing! Compared to mine, at least." Mage commented, looking around the large living room we'd just come into. Upstairs was the kitchen, which you could see from the living room through the railing that lined it, and the two bedrooms and the bathroom. Above that was the attic, and below us was the basement. I guess I could see this as a luxury to a pony/changeling like Mage.

"It isn't that good..." I blushed. "Anyway, would you like some hot chocolate? It must be freezing out there."

"Would I!"

A few minutes of preparing later, we sat across from each other at my circle shaped table in the kitchen, sipping hot chocolate. It was yet another quiet moment, one where neither of us wanted to break the sound of silence.

Mage had set down her cup and began to fidget with the table cloth. "His name was Silver Storm," she finally said, avoiding eye contact.

I put my cup down, as well. "Huh?"

"Your question yesterday. I think...I'm ready to tell you." She looked up at me with her soft, amber eyes, and I winked encouragingly. She continued, "He was my first and only friend. My first day in Ponyville, and at school, he'd walked up to me. I was alone in the hall, unsure where to go and what to do. Everypony else stared at me like I was an idiot, but he helped me." Mage paused. "We became immediate friends, and after that, we did everything together. In fact, we became so close that I...decided to tell him my secret. I thought that I could trust him, but..." She shrugged sadly. "I was wrong."

A single tear rolled down her cheek, but I was unsure on how to calm her. So I let her have a moment to take a deep breath, which seemed to help. After a minute, I went over to her side and put a hoof on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Mage. It wasn't your fault, and I'm glad that you trust me enough to share your feelings with me. I promise I'll always be here if you need me, ok?" I shined her my brightest, most thoughtful smile and hoped for the best.