• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 292 Views, 3 Comments

Rule-Breaking Nuisance - Shimmer Shy



Ponies can break the rules sometimes, and Mage and Sportsy definitely break them a lot. As a friendship forms between the two of them, they share their problems and secrets with one another.

  • ...
1
 3
 292

Mage's POV

That night I lay in my lumpy bed, tossing and turning, trying to get comfortable. Yet I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried to just close my eyes and drift asleep, HE kept on creeping into my mind. His face, his warm, kind smile flashing into my vision. Each time, feeling like a bullet had gone straight through my heart, a false sense of hope shot down before my very eyes. Eventually I gave up trying to sleep, instead I turned on my games console and started mashing random buttons, hopelessly tired and just wanting to bore myself enough that I would fall asleep. Yet even after 2 hours of repeating the same routine of button pressing, I was still tireless. I stood up, rubbing my eyes that were sore and red from the tears that had been cascading from them. I sighed, when suddenly an idea popped into my head. A hopeless, brilliant idea. I was a changeling, I could transform into anypony. I could go back to Ponyville and see him again. All I would have to do is pretend to be somepony else. It was still the weekend, so I wouldn't have to worry about school. I could finally see him again!

Happy and content, I climbed back into the small bed, pulling the thick sheets over my cold, blue body. I smiled, finding comfort in the hope of meeting my old friend again, forgetting the names Silver Storm had called me. I forgot the ponies he had told, the treatment I was given. I forgot all of the pain so that I could sleep happily, reassured by the nice thoughts that were swirling through my mind as I drifted off into darkness.

I opened my eyes, and a bright light flashed into them. Groaning, I looked at the clock beside me, and saw that it was already 11:45. quickly I raced out of bed to make myself breakfast. Despite wanting to so badly go back to Ponyville yesterday, I wasn't so sure if it was such a great Idea. In the end I decided that going back would be pointless, and that I should probably just move on. So instead I decided I could phone Sportsy, and ask if she wanted to come around and hang out or do homework together.

“Cool, so it’s a yes then?” I asked over the phone, still attempting to brush my frizzy, knotted hair.

“Of course!” Sportsy laughed over the phone.

A large grin spread across my face as I began to imagine what great things we were going to do together when she arrived. I began gathering all of the random things we could do for leisure. I had a few board games, some cards, my games console and of course my voice. After everything was stacked in a huge pile that almost touched the ceiling, I sighed and lay down on the floor, waiting for Sportsy to arrive.

Suddenly, a loud ringing from the doorbell broke the long, awkward silence. I quickly stood up, the smile across my face doubling in size. I laughed a little as I opened the brown, oak door. As the door creaked open, my smile faded into a look of terror, and I felt my ears press against my face. Panicking slightly, I went to take a step back and stumbled a little. I felt my body heat up, and my face going red. This was bad. Very bad. Despite the fact that outside was extremely cold, and the cool air was rushing into my house in a frenzy, I still felt hot. To break the silence I gulped, then asked a question.

“Canterlot Royal Guard… What are you doing here, officers?” I asked, looking at their shining golden armour that glared at me in the chilly sunlight. I glanced at their stern expressions, that seemed to want me dead. Then I eyed their long, sharp spears. Clearly they weren't here for a cup of tea and some biscuits. They were here to exterminate.

“The question is, Miss Plateau, What is a changeling like you doing here, in Canterlot,”

At the mention of Changelings, I felt my entire body shiver. I knew exactly what they were here for. Quite stupidly, and without thinking, I broke into a sprint, and slipped on the frosty concrete outside of my house, grazing my hoof. I winced a little, but quickly stood up and began galloping as fast as I could, trying to get a head start before they took flight. I checked behind me, seeing they were not too far behind, and rapidly getting closer. I was just about to quicken my pace, when I hit somepony in front of me. I tripped up, and fell flat on my face, panting and trying to stand again, but the other pony had landed on top of me. I looked up to see who I had run into, and looking straight into my eyes was none other than Sportsy Sketch. I quickly pushed her hoof of me, having no time to explain or to make sure she wasn't hurt. The guards had caught up now, and I just had enough time to sprout a pair of wings, and lift myself off the ground and dodge a magical spell. I twisted in the air, trying desperately to escape. One of the guards burst into the air in quick pursuit of me, and it wasn't too long before he grabbed my hoof. I kicked him off, and pushed off of him to gain distance, when suddenly I was hit by something. As I fell to the ground, I tried to remember the colour of the aura that had struck me. I looked quickly to Sportsy, but she seemed upset and confused. I landed on the concrete with a loud thump, sending ice flying in shattered splinters everywhere. Sportsy was smart enough to not intervene with the Guards as they moved towards me, pointing their spears at my face. Despite her being an allicorn, I didn't want her in trouble. I closed my eyes in defeat, then opened them again, looking deep into Sportsy gem-like eyes. I gave her a look of apology, then closed my eyes again. Maybe she could help, and maybe she couldn't, it didn't matter anymore. I would have eventually been found anyway.