• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 2,395 Views, 35 Comments

Citizen of the Stars - Yuri Petrovitch



One night something crashes into the Apple family orchard, and Applejack ain't gonna let some freaky space alien ruin her family's hard work and get away with it!

  • ...
5
 35
 2,395

Hard Landing

Ah space, the final frontier.

Mankind's greatest fantasy and destiny was to roam the stars; to discover new and wondrous things, to meet new and exotic aliens, and to settle and build up civilization from even the most barren wasteland into thriving metropolises. The endless expanse of space had it all, and if you knew what you were doing you could become wealthier than your wildest dreams... Or you could end up deader than the vacuum that surrounded your tin can as you hurtled out of control to your doom.

"MAYDAY MAYDAY!" My voice screeched into my helmet's mic once more, my throat was already raw from constantly yelling, and if I survived the next few minutes I'm sure I'd have lost my voice. "OUR SHIP HAS BEEN ATTACKED BY THE VANDUUL! REPEAT! WE HAVE BEEN ATTACKED BY THE VANDUUL!"

Now, you may be thinking 'Why does he keep shouting like that? Couldn't the radio hear me clearly inside my helmet?' Well, no actually. Not with your ship tearing itself apart as it burns its way through an alien atmosphere. The sound was like that of a roaring blast furnace loud enough to rival that of a Constellation's afterburners, plus there was also the cacophonous racket of every single damn alarm going off at once, not to mention the creaks and groans of my Super Hortnet as it shock violently in our decent.

Forget the sore throat, every bone in my body's gonna be sore if I live through this.

"OUR SHIP HAS BEEN DISABLED AND WE'RE ON A COLLISION COURSE FOR PLANET KPX-97225!"

Notice how I kept saying 'we' there? Yeah, I wasn't alone in this burning metal coffin. "WILL YOU STOP SHOUTING ALREADY!?" My co-pilot hissed from behind me, though thanks to the com link between our suits it was as if he was screaming right into my deaf ears. "WE'RE FUCKIN' DEAD MATE! NO ONE'S GONNA GET HERE IN TIME!"

"WELL MAYBE WE WON'T BE DEAD BY THE TIME THE U.E.E. SHOWS UP IF YOU FIX THAT DAMN SHIELD ALREADY!"

"I'M FUCKIN' WORKIN' ON IT YOU PRICK! NOW SHUT UP! YOU'RE DISTRACTING ME!" If we weren't in imminent danger I'd slap a bitch, but sadly that'd have to wait to after we crash or see each other in hell, whichever comes first.

Twisting my neck to the side I looked out the cockpit window to see heavy flames envelop our Hornet. Hot orange jets of burning atmosphere rolled across cherry red metal, if I didn't have my evo suit on I'd have roasted in seconds to nothing more than a crispy space man. You gotta count the small blessings right? At least I'd be uncomfortably warm instead by the time our ship finally exploded into a million pieces. Just as I was thinking this I noticed a tinge of blue bubble slowly wove it's way into the fiery storm outside. The flames were diverted over and around the hull of the Hornet, protecting the ship from any further beating.

"FUCKIN YA!" I heard Rook scream in victory, "SHEILD'S ARE BACK ONLINE!" The declaration was swiftly followed by what I felt to be a punch to the back of my seat. "NOW SUCK IT!"

"FUCK YOU!" I spat back, because unlike my junior I still saw how royally we were still screwed, "WE WON'T SURVIVE MUCH LONGER! WE STILL HAVE NO CONTROL OVER OUR DESCENT!"

There was a long pause as Rook took a step back from his little achievement to see how it didn't matter that much in the end. "FUUUUUUCCK!"

We'll the boy did give it his best, and recovering any amount of shielding from the fried hunk of circuitry was damn impressive. Sadly, we needed those shields long ago, because without them we already lost too many parts to the vacuum of space or the remaining parts were now fused together in molten slag. There was only one or two functioning maneuvering thrusters, barely enough to keep us upright, but not enough to bring us out of the atmosphere.

Seeing that we broke through several layers of cloud I briefly contemplated telling Rook that I was actually kind of proud of him, he was a cocky little shit sometimes, sure, but he was one of the best co-pilots I had ever flown with. Too bad out flight ended rather violently as we plowed straight through a hillside covered in trees. If I had the time I would have noticed several interesting things about the hill were were about to completely obliterate: The trees were in neat orderly rows, they were apple trees, and there was a giant red barn not too far away sitting atop a nearby hill.

*~ Y ~*

The sight of a bright orange and blue shooting star arching across the sky that night was witnessed by many star gazers. Most thought it was merely a special little beauty their eternal Diarch of the Night had brought out to give her subjects a small little show, afterwords they thought little much of it as they carried on with their night.

Over on Sweet Apple Acres however things weren't so peaceful.

A horrible screeching wail tore through the night air, like that of a runaway train . Applejack was instantly wide awake and shot straight up in her bed, her instincts telling her that she and her kin were in grave danger. Snapping her head to look out her bedroom window the orange farmer saw the world ending.

A massive inferno was descending upon her and all that she held dear as it broke open the black night sky.

"SWEET MOTHER OF CELESTIA!" Applejack screamed in terror as the blazing object arched over the barn and smashed into the Eastern fields. The impact shook the whole world from top to bottom for Applejack, nearly sending her flying from her bed. Geysers of dirt and debris flew in all directions with a few stray branches and clods of dirt impacting against the Apple farm house.

Then, as suddenly as it had all started things began to quite down.

After a long pause Applejack managed to find her voice "J-just what 'n tarnation was that!?" The fear, and even awe, of what had just happened left the mare trembling atop her bedding. "Was that ah'n airship?!" Tho, it wasn't anything like what she had seen in Canterlot, so Applejack couldn't be certain. But from the small glimpse she had taken it had seem to be some sort of pony made contraption.

"Applejack!" A tiny yellow filly cried out as she tacklehugged her older sister, Applebloom clung to her sister as Applejack returned the embrace. Tears started to stain the mare's fur but she didn't pay it much attention as she gently rocked her sister back and forth. All of Applejack's previous feelings of fear and apprehension vanished as she saw what that thing had done to her family... and what it nearly took away.

Heavy hoof falls by the bedroom door told AJ that her older brother was now there with them. Turning to the giant red stallion Applejack felt a deep fire starting to burn in her chest, whoever it was that had recklessly lost control of their airship was going to get a stern talkin to, and they were definitely gonna pay for the damages Sweet Apple Acres had suffered. There was also a lot of fire sounding the object, so that needed to be taken care of ASAP or else the whole orchard would be nothing but ash soon.

"Big Mac, take care of Apple Bloom an Granny Smith. Once they're safe go get the fire brigade. Ah'm gonna see if anypony needs a hoof ta get out of whatever that thing was."

Author's Note:

I'm really pumped for Star Citizen, and since I don't have a PC that won't burst into flames while playing the game currently I decided to do the next best thing! (aside from getting more dosh to build a rig to play the darn game) So I'm writing this as a "Human In Equestria" with Star Citizen connecting the two together, let's see if this'll burn in flames or not shall we?


Editor's Note
Took care of some spelling and grammar mistakes, but it is 1:30AM; so I may have missed some. Feel free to point any out.

- Nihatclodra