• Published 4th Mar 2016
  • 3,509 Views, 43 Comments

Bloodborne: The Blood of the Old Gods - Lady Maria



Lagnus the Raven is a old and very expirienced hunter who was once one of the many close apprentices of Gehrman the First Hunter, but what happens when Lagnus is finally killed and ends up in Equestria? Lagnus shall do what he's always done, hunt...

  • ...
10
 43
 3,509

Chapter 1: Blood of the night

It was the middle of the night and the hunt was fully fledged. Sir Lagnus the Raven, the newest helper to the hunters, sat in the wheelchair that once belonged to dear old Gehrman. Lagnus had achieved many things such as defeating Ludwig the Holy Blade and inheriting the Legendary Holy Moonlight Sword, slaying Vicar Amelia and killing countless adversarial hunters. Lagnus now helps all the new hunters that come through the hunter’s dream, although he has a favorite hunter that visits him often and talks with him; the hunter is named Aligarus. Aligarus was about twenty years of age and was slim and fairly well built. He often wore the charred garb, boots and gloves Lagnus had gave him when he was having difficult times. Lagnus wished he could hunt with Aligarus, but that was not within his power due to the Moon Presence’s magic. But there was one other hunter Lagnus taught when he was young and full of potential. Her name was Castiella. Castiella was a woman he met on his first night of the hunt. Castiella was very entwined with the arcane forces and possessed powers Lagnus didn’t even think could exist. They both met in the Hunter’s Nightmare where they together fought through and journeyed into the depths of the nightmare to kill the host and eventually the nightmare itself, freeing those who were trapped in the horrible fabrication of reality. However, Lagnus’s glory days were long gone and life became dull. Lagnus helps the hunters that come for aid and offers them advice and what items he can offer to at least feel like he isn’t completely useless.

One day however he was at the base of the Great like how Gehrman once was when they had their battle. Lagnus had a nagging feeling his time was soon to be up at his young age as he had only served as a helper of the hunters for a decade now. As Lagnus stared at the flowers in the field while they moved softly in the breeze he heard footsteps approaching him.

Lagnus looked up to see Aligarus standing at his side, “Young hunter the night is near its end. But I assume you’re here to kill the Moon Presence? I sought the same thing once, but lacked the strength to do so. However you must pass one last test before fighting it,” Lagnus says as he stood up, picking up the Moonlight Greatsword.

Aligarus shook his head, “No Lagnus, I won’t fight you. I may have killed countless innocents who were driven mad by beast blood or are vilebloods but I refuse to slay you,” Aligarus says as Lagnus got up, wearing the knight garb, boots, and gloves with the hunters top hat adorning his head.

Lagnus adjusted his circular glasses and exhaled, “Then maybe the knowledge of myself being one of the last Vilebloods will motivate you enough to kill me,” Lagnus said as he quickly back stepped, swinging the sword around in multiple ways before taking a strong fighting stance

“Tonight Lagnus the Ravin joins the hunt…” Lagnus said speaking some of his last words for tonight was the night he dies.

Lagnus dashes forward while thrusting his sword towards Aligarus. Aligarus back stepped, just barely dodging the attack and used his saw cleaver to strike Lagnus a few times before dashing to his side. Lagnus turned to face Aligarus and slashed rapidly leaving a large gash on Aligarus’s left arm.

Aligarus used one of his many blood vials to heal swiftly before backing up and dashing to Lagnus’ side. Lagnus was old and regrettably slower than Aligarus who was much younger and more limber than Lagnus. However this didn’t mean Lagnus was slow to respond. Lagnus was fast for his age, more so than any other man or woman could dream to be.

Lagnus dodged an attack Aligarus threw at him. Lagnus quickly struck back, hitting Aligarus and knocking him onto his back. Lagnus backed up a few feet and waited for his opponent to get up. Most hunters would take the chance to wail on their opponent when they were down, but Lagnus, having honor and mercy for Aligarus, let him get up.

As Aligarus stood up and healed once more Lagnus activated the Holy Moonlight Greatsword’s magic aura, making it glow a greenish blue turquoise color. Lagnus slashed in a wide arc, sending a wave of explosive moonlight towards Aligarus.

Luckily, Aligarus dashed to his right, avoiding the wave of deadly magic that exploded on the wall next to him. Aligarus bolted forward before landing a barrage of attacks on Lagnus, making him bleed heavily and eventually knocking him to the ground.

Lagnus breathed hard, slowly getting up as his body slightly morphed into his beast form, “Lagnus please, I beg you to quit this fighting. I don’t want to kill you,” Aligarus said, pleading with Lagnus, but Aligarus’s words fell on deaf ears because soon after Lagnus transformed into a four armed humanoid hellhound/dragon beast.

Lagnus was now triple the height of Aligarus as his black fur and scales shined under the moonlight. Lagnus let out a ear splitting roar before charging forward again. Lagnus was like a rabid starving wolf as he lashed out at Aligarus mercilessly.

The blood dripping from his mouth, the feral look in his eye, and the smell of reeking rotted flesh emanated from Lagnus as Aligarus dashed left and right to avoid the endless series of attacks that came for him.

Lagnus eventually tired himself out and fell to his knees panting, letting Aligarus strike Lagnus and deal substantial amounts of damage. Aligarus wailed on Lagnus, slashing blow after blow. Lagnus knew he had lost and now he stood up for one last push, but it was not to be for Aligarus laid one last mighty blow on Lagnus, defeating him.

As he fell to the ground he could faintly see Aligarus facing down the Moon Presence. As the beast took him into its vile embrace it was blown back by an explosion of light. Lagnus smirked, “Good luck young hunter,” Lagnus thought in his head as he closed his eyes as, his body faded and disappeared.


Lagnus heard the blowing of wind and the rustling of leaves as he laid in a soft patch of grass. He heard the sound of birds tweeting and singing various songs. Such a thing he hasn’t had the pleasure of hearing in a long, long time. Lagnus groaned and flexed his fingers a bit before standing up as the sun shined in his face, the golden light blinding him for a few seconds.

As his vision cleared Lagnus saw he was in a clearing surrounded by what seemed to be a menacing forest. Lagnus again blinked as he again saw the colorful world he was in. It was beautiful and made his heart melt. Never had his eyes been graced with such beauty. But something felt off; Lagnus felt more alive, his body filled with energy and life. Lagnus felt at least thirty years younger than he thought he was. It was a wonderful feeling and one that he had so longingly missed for all these long violent years of his life.

As Lagnus took this all in the realization that he was dehydrated and needed water hit him. Lagnus quickly got up and looked around for a source of water. To his luck there was one about fifty yards to his left. Lagnus quickly dashed over there and got on his knees as he drank the surprisingly clean water. As Lagnus drank his fill and washed off his face he saw his reflection. He had no wrinkles, no grey hair, no moles, and no rotten teeth and he didn’t have his thick bushy beard, but he did have a normal sized spanish mustache and a bit of his chin beard that was thin and spiky as it would be after a shave. He was young again, this explained why he felt so refreshed when he woke up. Lagnus’ long black hair flowed a bit in a breeze. His circular glasses shined a bit as the sun hit them at just the right angle.

Lagnus yelped and backed up surprised and a bit scared at the sudden changes. As Lagnus rubbed his eyes he went back to the water to look at his reflection again. As he did he saw the same thing, a slim yet muscular man in his prime, about twenty five to thirty years of age. Lagnus sighed and rubbed his temples while standing up.

“Where am I exactly? This is obviously nowhere near Yharnam,” Lagnus said to himself as he scanned his surroundings again before seeing that there was some sort of structure in the distance about a mile or so off to the west.

“Maybe whoever lives there can help me,” Lagnus mumbled, hoping that he could be provided with food and the knowledge of where in the sam hell he was.

Lagnus walked in the cottage’s direction as he entered the thick brush leading to it. As he walked Lagnus heard the sound of a lion growling. Lagnus however wasn’t phased by this because he’d dealt with beasts that would make the lion look like a measly ant in comparison. As Lagnus found a wide dirt path he quickly got onto it. Not two seconds later after he did Lagnus found himself surrounded by three manticores, he had read about these beasts in a book before. They were all pretty big and to any common folk or inexperienced hunter this would make them drop a duce.

But Lagnus was, for one, not scared of them and two, they were attacking a much bigger beast that would scare the things off just by hearing his howl. As the manticores circled Lagnus growling, Lagnus scoffed at them before unwrapping a beast pellet and swallowing it. Seconds later Lagnus started to grow in size into his beast form. Two arms sprouted out of his sides as long black fur draped from his sides. His tail was long and bushy and he had six eyes, each of them blood red with slits for the black parts of his eyes. Lagnus’s teeth were like the blades of scythes and smoke rose out of his nose as he was now three times the size of these measly beasts.

The manticores, now heavily regretting their decision, tried to flee but only one managed to escape the grip of Lagnus’ claws, leaving a huge gash in its side in the process. As the other manticore disappeared Lagnus turned his attention to the two he had in his claws, slowly tightening his grip and crushing them to death, breaking bones and ripping flesh. The two poor beasts started coughing up blood and the contents of their stomachs as they were being slowly killed by Lagnus who had no remorse for these beasts.

Eventually Lagnus had decided they had suffered long enough and bit the head off of one of the beasts before mauling the other one. Lagnus dropped the bodies and shifted back to his normal form and sighed. Lagnus killed things far too easily, thus there was no thrill to the hunt anymore. Lagnus desired to face bigger and more powerful beasts that could match up to him. Like the dragons from the old legends. The dragons were described as mighty beasts whose strength matched their size.

Lagnus laid against a tree and closed his mind to just think for a bit and gather his thoughts before proceeding to the cottage he saw earlier.


Fluttershy and Twilight were outside on Fluttershy’s patio at one of her outdoor tables having tea and a few sandwiches. Twilight came over to help Fluttershy move a few things in her home and just organize it in general.

“Fluttershy these sandwiches are delicious!” Twilight said as she swallowed her food, smiling.

“Oh thank you, they weren’t hard to make really but a few spices and certain veggies help with adding flavor to the other bland ingredients,” Fluttershy said, smiling softly as she took a sip of her tea.

As the two talked about random things they heard an ear splitting howl that sounded like it came from a hound so tough and big that it would put Cerberus to shame. Twilight and Fluttershy looked at the Everfree forest as a wounded manticore limped out of the shade of the trees, heading towards Fluttershy for help. The manticore was bleeding heavily as it collapsed on its side. Fluttershy gasped and ran over to the nearly dead beast as it curled up and coughed blood.

As Fluttershy and Twilight got to its side Fluttershy gasped, seeing the huge wound on the manticore. “Twilight, get my medical supplies now!” Fluttershy ordered as she tried to use her ability to communicate with animals to find out what monster did this.

“Dear oh dear Mr. Manticore, who did this to you?” Fluttershy asked as the manticore made some sounds, doing the best it could to tell her what happened to him and his now dead brothers.

As Fluttershy received the horrifying news she paled physically and shivered, “O-oh my…” Fluttershy says as Twilight came over with multiple rolls of bandages and other medical supplies. As they patched the manticore up and carried it inside Fluttershy turned to Twilight as they stood in her living room, “Twilight, the monster that attacked the manticore slaughtered his brothers. He described it as a four armed wolf with six eyes and was about the size of a large dragon,” Fluttershy said as Twilight slowly started to scowl.

“We have to stop this thing before it comes to Ponyville,” Twilight said as Fluttershy looked up at her.

“But that’s not the weirdest part, he said this beast was a small ape like creature dressed in a fancy coat made out of leather and cloth, holding a greatsword that shined like the moon,” Fluttershy said as Twilight scoffed at this. How could a simple primate transform into such a beast of massive proportions?

“Well, stay here Fluttershy, I’ll go get the rest of the girls and have Spike notify the royal guard and Princess Celestia about this” Twilight said as she teleported away in a flash of light.


Lagnus was breathing slowly as he had several flashbacks from the past three decades of his hunting career. The advice of his previous mentor Gehrmen, the advice given to him by countless hunters, those who were murdered because he wasn’t there to protect them. So many innocent lives lost to the madness of the hunt. Anyone who had ever been close to him in Yharnam had either gone mad and vanished, or slaughtered by some other hunter or malformed beast.

Why was the world so cruel? Why did all these innocent people have to die? Why did it all happen? Was it fate? Or some cruel trick played by one of the Old Gods? Lagnus didn’t know, but for whatever reason it was, it was cruel and sadistic to cause so much pain to hundreds of thousands of people. All Lagnus knew is that he was going to utterly destroy whatever was responsible for the madness, the hunt, all the death and loss him and everyone else suffered. Lagnus sweared on his soul that he’d make things right and let all the Yharmanites know peace at last.

Lagnus sighed and opened his eyes, slowly getting up. He needed to find civilization and a few people who were willing to fight for his cause.


Twilight and her friends were in Fluttershy’s back yard as Twilight told them what was happening, “Do you all understand what we are dealing with? We are the first line of defence for the ponies of Ponyville” Twilight says as the AJ, and Dash cracked their necks seeming like they’re ready to kill.

As they all turned and marched into the forest they slowly followed the trail of blood to where the manticores were killed. As they got closer their nostrils burned with the smell of rotting entrails and blood. Soon they came to the two bodies, one of them was horrifically mauled while the other was headless. Both bodies showed clear signs of being crushed in some way with multiple broken ribs and other bones.

Pinkie Pie and Rarity almost barfed as Fluttershy fainted. Rarity and Pinkie tried to hold their lunch down as AJ, Dash, and Twilight weren’t as phased by this brutal scene. But as focused as the others were, Twilight had a nagging feeling that something or someone was watching them.

Lagnus watched the six horse like creatures, hidden in the dark and cover of the brush as they gaped at the carnage he left behind. Lagnus pondered if he should make contact with the ponies as they had spoken a bit among themselves. Lagnus wanted to make contact so badly. He had a thirst to talk to civilized beings no matter what they looked like. Years upon years of violence had made him long for peace badly. Lagnus sighed and went against his gut feeling telling him not to make contact with them,

Lagnus stood up, sheathing his greatsword and got his threaded cane out and put his top hat on before walking out in front of them. As Lagnus walked out in front of them two of the ponies made a squeaking sound and backed up as the other four stood strong. Lagnus faced them and cleared his throat, “Greetings,” he said, doing a gesture that was nicknamed ‘respect’. “My name is Lagnus the Raven, or as some know me, the Left hand of Death,” Lagnus said as he looked up at them again.

The yellow pegasus who had been unconscious lifted her head, waking up. She looked at Lagnus before gasping, “That’s him… That’s the beast the manticore described to me,” she said as the others immediately take an offensive stance and started attacking him.

Lagnus raised his eyebrow, but before he could react he was hit in the stomach with a large blast of some foreign arcane magic. Lagnus flew back a few yards and hit a tree. Lagnus slowly got up, spitting some of his blood out before using a bloodvile on himself, “Well I tried to be civilized but you all won’t listen. I don’t want to hurt you, please stand down,” Lagnus said as the damage and amount of blood he had lost started to trigger his beast transformation, looking more wolf like now.

However they didn’t listen as the orange pony with the weird foreign hat used a rope and tied his arms to his waist as the prismatic pegasus flew towards him. Lagnus sighed, gritting his teeth and started to transform as fur and scales sprouted out of his skin and he felt his second set of arms shooting out below his original two. This allowed Lagnus to rip the rope to shreds as he leaped up into the air ten to fifteen feet, avoiding the pegasus who then rammed herself head first into the tree he was pinned up against not five seconds ago.

Lagnus snarled again as he grew in size, eventually finishing his transformation. He roared, making the others cover their ears, but the shy yellow pony wasn’t phased and looked quite pissed before flying up to Lagnus’s face and staring him in the eyes, making him feel like she was piercing his soul.

“Listen here mister! You should feel ashamed of yourself for killing these poor manticores! You’re so much stronger you big bully! You better stand down right now or so help me I’ll make you regret being born!” She said, hissing as Lagnus shook his head, hissing and barking a bit as he was trying to talk but only came out as sounds a dog would make.

‘No! What is this arcane magic?! Stop it hurts!’ Lagnus says in his animal language that somehow the butter yellow pegasus understood. The pegasus stared at him more, her gaze intensifying so much that Lagnus held his head and roared in pain, collapsing on the ground with his eyes shut as her stare made his ears ring and his brain hurt.

As she kept Lagnus down he heard a spell being charged up he opened his eyes and saw the winged unicorn casting a spell before firing it at him, making him black out.


Lagnus awoke, opening his eyes and being blinded by a white light. He got up and rubbed his eyes, his vision slowly clearing. He still had his cloths on but his body felt lighter. Lagnus felt around for one of his weapons and found that his greatsword was nowhere to be found. Lagnus’s vision finally completely cleared and saw that he was in a barred cell. He was on a bed and noticed that there was a table and chair with some paper and quills with some ink on the desk.

Lagnus groaned, getting up and looking around as he was in a wooden room with a bunch of technology in it. As he looked around the room he saw all his weapons and spare objects he carried around, plus the purple winged unicorn again. Beside her was a small duel colored lizard. Lagnus got out of the straw bed, making a bit of noise for the winged unicorn to look at him.

“Ah, he’s awake,” She said in an excited yet somewhat hostile tone. Lagnus looked at her, his vision still adjusting.

“Where did you take me?” Lagnus asked, holding his head as he had a splitting headache from the stare that crippled him hours before.

“You are in the basement of my home. I’m keeping you here until Princess Celestia comes and can detain you properly. But in the meantime let’s get to know each other hmm?” the lavender mare said as she pulled over a chair with a clipboard and quill before sitting down, “Who are you and why did you maul the manticores?” she asked as Lagnus’ vision cleared.

“I am Lagnus the Raven. I’m a hunter of beasts and slayer of evil. Those manticores tried to attack me first so I simply defended. They didn’t look like they were gonna leave me alive,” Lagnus said as the mare wrote down notes quickly, almost as if she was scribbling on the paper. “What’s your name miss?” Lagnus asked, expecting an honest answer before he told her anything else.

“I am Princess Twilight Sparkle and this here is my friend and helper Spike,” Twilight responded as the small dragon waved shyly. Lagnus raised his eyebrow and waved back as he took off his hat and parted his black hair, and smoothing out his small beard as well. “Now what exactly are you? You seem to be a sort of primate and a beast like those werewolves from the legends of old times,” Twilight states, making Lagnus laugh heartily.

“Werewolf? You think I’m a measly werewolf? No miss Twilight, you are far, far off. I am much deadlier than some flea ridden werewolf. I am a Darkbeast, unlike most Darkbeasts I don’t emit electricity from my hide I am what some may call a Hellhound or demonic beast. I am one of the select few whose beast blood turns me into a horrible deformed nightmare of a monster,” Lagnus answers, chuckling at her statement. How could she even compare him to a werewolf? He was three to four times larger, he had four arms, six burning red eyes that glowed, and on top of all of that he could spit fire!

Twilight raised her eyebrow as she took notes on this thing called a Darkbeast, “So tell me about the sword we found on your body. I’ve examined it and have seen nothing like it. The thing has more magical power than Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadence, and myself combined. What is it and how did you obtain such a powerful weapon?” she asked, looking stern and yet fascinated.

Lagnus looked over at the Moonlight Greatsword that Twilight used her magic to hover over to her, “The Moonlight Greatsword… If I were to explain its full history it would take several hours, but I’ll sum it up for you,” Lagnus said as he reached for the sword and pulled it into the cell, making Twilight and Spike nervous, thinking Lagnus would attack them. He held the blade and looked into his turquoise crystalline blade.

“This blade came from a horrible traitor, a being so vile that he committed mass genocide against his own kind to gain what he did not have. No one quite knows the name of the traitor except for a select few. Those who wield the great blade can see its origin and all of its past. The traitor’s name was… Seath the Scaleless an albino dragon with no scales and a thirst for knowledge and immortality he wasn’t born with unlike his dragon brethren. Seath is the creator and grandfather of magic itself. This blade was formed when a warrior cut off his tail, and that action gave birth to the blade,” Lagnus said, taking a breath before continuing.

“This blade was most famously held in the hands of Ludwig the Holy Blade. He found the sword in some ruin with a rune. He took the blade and with it became immensely powerful. One cannot fathom the power the hunter wielded. But one day that power and the loss of everything drove him mad and turned him into a horrible beast. I happened to run into him one day while in a nightmare dimension full of hunters. We battled it out for hours before I slew the once great hunter. Then the blade was passed on to its current master… me, Lagnus the Ravin,” Lagnus said, finishing his lengthy yet shortened explanation of the blade.

Lagnus turned around to see Twilight staring at the blade in awe as she had written down his explanation in detail with a sketch of the blade as well. “O-oh my gosh,” she said as her friend and assistant Spike was also entranced in the story. They were so entranced that they failed to hear the knocking at their door.

Quickly Twilight snapped out of her haze and teleported to her front door to open it. In front of her was Princess Celestia and a handful of armed guards, along with the rest of the elements of harmony with their jeweled necklaces, “P-princess, I didn’t know you’d be here so quickly!” Twilight said, a bit startled.

“Well you made the letter seem pretty urgent and because of that and the monster you may have caught I decided to come quickly to see this beast,” Celestia said as Twilight let her and a few guards in, leading them downstairs where they saw Lagnus sitting in a chair.

As the guards made sure Lagnus wouldn’t be able to escape, Princess Celestia walked up to the cage as Lagnus lifted his eyes, looking at her. As the two stared at each other Celestia reeled back, recognizing him.

Lagnus smiled and got up, taking his hat off. “Long time no see Castiella my friend, or should I say Celestia. It’s nice to see you again,” Lagnus said as Twilight, her friends, and the guards looked surprised. Lagnus and Princess Celestia knew each other...

Author's Note:

If you guys liked the chapter please leave a like if you favorited it or just wanna show that you want more of this. Simply leaving a like here really helps me strive harder to create a better story for you all.

Oh I can hear the sellout comments now just in the distance over the hill their yells of rage echoing through the field because of how butthurt they are... XP

But for now good hunters, let the good blood guide your way, and never forget...

Fear the Old Blood