• Published 30th Dec 2015
  • 6,712 Views, 176 Comments

Sweet and Delicate - Nordryd



Coppermane, an introverted & insecure student of Princess Celestia, is asked to perform at the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville. Being a shy pony in a new town isn't easy for him, until he meets the most beautiful mare he's ever seen in his life.

  • ...
13
 176
 6,712

Ch.5: Anticipation

Time: 7:45 AM, Sunday, Sweet Apple Acres, Days Until Celebration: 13

Applejack woke up this morning positively ecstatic. Not that she usually didn't wake up in a good mood, but she was spending the day today showing somepony new around town. She loved meeting new ponies, and she loved Ponyville. It was perfect! Also, it would get her family off her back about taking a day off to relax. It was a win-win. Applejack asked Granny Smith last night if the day-off offer was still valid. Granny said yes, and Applejack asked if she could use it tomorrow. Granny was shocked, but gladly agreed. When asked why she suddenly changed her mind, Applejack said that she met a new pony yesterday, and he's new to Ponyville. She was going to show him around town. Granny smiled, and wished Applejack luck.

Applejack trotted downstairs to get ready. Apple Bloom was already up.

"Mornin' Applejack!" said Apple Bloom, quite chipper.

"Mornin' sugarcube." said Applejack with a big grin on her face.

"Y’all seem pretty happy this mornin', Applejack," said a curious Apple Bloom, "Somethin' special happenin' today?"

"Ah reckon there is, sugarcube. Ah met somepony new last night on my way back from Ponyville," said Applejack, "He's new here, so Ah'm takin' the day off to show him around."

"Wait…he?" said Apple Bloom, raising her eyebrow.

"Oh, it ain't nothin' like that, Apple Bloom," said Applejack, "He's just a new friend, nothing else."

"Whatever ya say. What's his name?" asked Apple Bloom, teasingly.

"His name is Coppermane, and it ain't nothing like that. He's just a real shy pony, and Ah figured Ah could lend him a hoof with getting' familiar with Ponyville." said Applejack.

"Alright, alright, Ah was just teasin' ya." said Apple Bloom defensively.

Applejack chuckled at her little sister. "Ah know, sugarcube." Applejack glanced at the clock and saw that it was five till eight. "Ah shot, Ah gotta run. Got a long day ahead of me. Wish me luck Apple Bloom. Ah'll see ya later!"

"Bye Applejack!" said Apple Bloom. And with that, Applejack left her house and started for the hill where she met Coppermane.

As she walked, she pictured in her head how each of her friends would react to meeting Coppermane. Not that she thought they wouldn't want to meet him, or that it would go poorly, but she was picturing each of their individual reactions.

Twilight loved to meet new ponies, and she was a student of Princess Celestia as well, so they would have something to talk about.

Rainbow Dash also would be easy as well. Rainbow Dash also liked meeting new ponies, and would probably want to show Copper some tricks to showcase her "awesomeness". Still, as cocky as she could be, Rainbow Dash had every right to harbor an ego. She was pretty awesome, after all.

Rarity would love to meet him as well. Hopefully when they were at Rarity's, Copper wouldn't break anything. Considering how timid Copper acted when Applejack first met him, he'll most likely be fine. Rarity will probably ask for some opinions on a new fashion line she's planning.

Applejack was slightly worried that Pinkie Pie might come on a little strong. Applejack loved the mare to death, but she could be really nuts sometimes. Applejack had no doubt that Pinkie Pie would be ecstatic to meet Coppermane. She always loved meeting new ponies. She'll probably want to throw a welcome party, but Applejack will need to tell Pinkie that it would have to wait for another time. She and Copper had a lot of ground to cover today.

Then there was Fluttershy. Fluttershy was the shyest pony in Equestria, but she was also the sweetest and kindest. As impossible as Fluttershy could be sometimes (with her timidity and all), she always meant well, and would do anything to help anypony. Applejack might have to carry some of the conversation to start off with, but maybe Fluttershy meeting somepony almost as shy as her (if not shyer) would encourage her to be a little more social. She had no doubt though that Copper would like Fluttershy.

Come to think of it, Fluttershy and Copper were quite similar in a way. Granted, Applejack didn't know Copper all that well yet, but as it stood now, they were quite similar.

Another goal Applejack had for today was for her to get to know Coppermane too. He seemed like a good-hearted pony that just needed a little reassurance. Also, maybe she could help him with his anxiety about the Celebration.

Maybe if the girls like him, we could try to do something to help him?

She kept that thought in the back of her head as she began to pick up speed towards the hill. Wouldn't want Copper to think she bailed on him, right?


Time: 8:05 AM, Sunday, Sweet Apple Acres

Coppermane stood atop the hill where he met Applejack, eagerly awaiting her arrival. He was excited to get shown around town. He already liked Ponyville a bit simply because it was a change of scenery. Living in Canterlot his whole life, he had always yearned for something new. Also, he wasn’t very popular there. He couldn't wait to see more of a town that was already so different from his hometown.

There was just one problem…where was she?

She said eight o-clock, right?

Oh no, is she not coming?

What if Copper scared her yesterday? Was the tour around Ponyville just a way to get him off her back?

I'm here for nothing aren't I? I guess it was naïve to think I could actually make a friend, huh?

Copper suddenly had a feeling of utter dread, followed by immediate infuriation…at himself.

NO! STOP! Don't think like that! You weren't the one to say you were friends…SHE was. And don't you think if she really did want to get you off her back, she'd say something like "I need to get back to work" or "I gotta get back home"? She wouldn't offer to take you on a tour of town! You need to stop blowing everything out of proportion and just calm down. But still…

Copper's doubts immediately diminished upon seeing Applejack walking up the hill. He had never been so relieved in his life.

Applejack trotted up the hill and offered Copper a smile. "Howdy, Copper! Sorry Ah'm late. Talkin' with ma sister and lost track of the time."

Copper smiled back at her. "Don't worry about it. You're here now, right?"

"Hehe, Ah like how you think. Y’all ready?" asked Applejack.

"Mmmhmm,” Coppermane said with a smile.

Applejack giggled. "Someone's not as shy as they were yesterday."

Coppermane chuckled with her. "I have my days,” he shrugged.

"Well, we’ll start here in Sweet Apple Acres. Whaddya say?"

"Lead the way." said Coppermane, following Applejack.

"Ah'll explain what Ah have planned for the rest of the day while we walk. And y'all best prepare yourself, because it's gonna be a long day."

Coppermane followed Applejack down the road through Sweet Apple Acres, eager to hear what awaited him today.


"So this here, as Ah said before, is Sweet Apple Acres. This is where all of Ponyville started! Best apples in all of Equestria, guaranteed!" said Applejack enthusiastically.

"Wow…breathtaking…" said Copper, gazing in awe at the sheet number of trees in the orchard.

"Thank ya kindly! We try our best." Applejack said proudly.

Coppers stomach suddenly grumbled. In his anxiousness for today, he had forgotten to eat breakfast. Crap. Well…he was surrounded by apples, and he had some bits on him. Maybe…

"Hey, Applejack?" asked Copper nervously.

"Yes, sugarcube?"

"Do you think I could…buy an apple? I kinda forgot to eat this morning,” he asked, rubbing his neck.

Applejack giggled. "Well, we can't have that now huh?" Applejack then went over to one of the trees and picked a big, bright red apple off, and tossed it over to Copper. "Here ya go! On the house."

Copper just stood there for a second. "Um…you sure? I have bits."

"Ah insist." Applejack said with a smirk.

"…okay then…thanks!" Copper said appreciatively. He used his magic to take the apple from Applejack, and wasted no time in biting into it. Wow…juicy, firm, rich taste…Applejack wasn't kidding. "Wow…that’s a good apple,” he said, wiping the juice off his mouth.

Applejack had a proud look on her face. "Apple family apples! Like Ah said, best in Equestria!"

"No kidding," Copper said, as he devoured his apple in about ten seconds.

"Well, what Ah mostly wanna do today is introduce you to my friends!" said Applejack. "Ah know they'd all love ta meet ya! This way, y'all will have some familiar faces around town. Not ta mention anypony else we happen ta run into along the way. How does that sound?"

"Sounds like a full day. I can't wait." said Copper.

"Also, Ah can also get to know you a little better in between everything." said Applejack enthusiastically. "One more thing, sugarcube, do y'all mind if ah tell the girls about how y'all are singing at the Celebration?"

Copper froze in thought for a second. Well, she's not asking if he can sing for all of them. It's just informing them of his performance. What's the harm in that? Everypony will be at the Celebration anyways.

"I don't see why not. Sure." said Copper.

"Great!" said Applejack. "So, y'all ready ta head out?"

"You bet!” said Copper, very excited.

Applejack started walking towards town with Copper following behind her. Unbeknownst to Copper, Applejack was secretly planning something in order to give him some singing practice. She knew all her friends would want to hear him as soon as she brought up the fact that he was singing at the Celebration. She knew Copper would object, he needed to start facing his fears. Would he go through with it though?

Let's not worry about that for now. Let’s get him familiar with the town first…

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment, and if you enjoyed it, like and share! I'll see you all next chapter. Until next time...peace!