• Published 30th Dec 2015
  • 6,703 Views, 176 Comments

Sweet and Delicate - Nordryd



Coppermane, an introverted & insecure student of Princess Celestia, is asked to perform at the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville. Being a shy pony in a new town isn't easy for him, until he meets the most beautiful mare he's ever seen in his life.

  • ...
13
 176
 6,703

Ch.15: Longing

Time: 12:00 PM, Thursday, The Crystal Empire Castle, Days Until Celebration: 2

Coppermane had spent five days in the Crystal Empire, and it had been a great vacation, despite getting off to a rough start. Being separated initially from Fluttershy was pretty hard for Copper at the start, but the thoughts of her waiting for him when he got back kept him going. But now, he was ready to be home in Ponyville. Ready to see Fluttershy. He could already picture her beautiful face.

Even though he had lived in Canterlot his entire life, Copper had felt more at home in Ponyville after only one week than he ever had in the many years living in Canterlot. The only reason he ever considered Canterlot his home was because he had nowhere else to go. But having six amazing friends (one of which he was head over hooves for) who actually care about him, want to spend time with him, and always want the best for him? He never had that in Canterlot. So yeah, Copper was looking forward to being home.

Princess Cadence had recently suggested to Coppermane the idea of writing Fluttershy a love letter to help him get through his time away from her. It had done wonders for Copper's heart. Getting his feelings out on his mind and in a more permanent form really helped him. He had spent every night in the Crystal Empire in his room perfecting his letter and planning an amazing date to take Fluttershy on when he got back. He just hoped that they wouldn't arrive at Canterlot too late, otherwise Princess Celestia might ask him to spend the night. Copper had waited long enough. He missed Fluttershy so much. He wanted to get lost in her ocean-teal eyes again, and just cuddle next to her warm body, shielding her from any harm that may come to her. He was ready to go, and today was the day.

But that was the other thing, he wanted to tell her so badly, but the moment had to be absolutely perfect. It couldn't just be a great moment. It couldn't even be a really good moment. It had to be perfect. But…what was the perfect moment? Just cuddling together under the stars? While the idea definitely piqued Copper's interest, it wasn't exactly the right moment. Fluttershy was an amazing pony who deserved nothing below perfection. But…what was the perfect moment?

Copper, remember, this is the most important part of your mission: Making sure Cadence arrives in Canterlot without a scratch.

Copper knew this, and tried to focus his mind on it. Once they were on the train, he could worry about it. Princess Cadence has also been extremely anxious to hear him sing, but she's been so busy getting everything ready for her departure that she didn't have the time. She would probably ask him on the train, or if she's willing to be patient, she might wait until they get to Canterlot. Princess Luna also wanted to hear him. Two birds with one stone right?

I just hope we don't arrive too late…the trains only run for so long…

Copper was waiting by the castle door with Shining Armor, awaiting Princess Cadence to be ready.

"It's been nice having you around, Copper," Shining Armor said.

"Thanks, Shining. I've had fun here, despite a rough start," Copper said.

"It's no problem at all, Copper. Love can be hard sometimes, but I'll tell you firsthand, at the end of the day, it's always worth it," Shining said with a smile.

"Thanks for your understanding. Hopefully when I come back I won't bring so much baggage with me," Copper said with a nervous chuckle.

Shining Armor laughed, "Copper, it's fine, trust me. And I really hope you do come back and visit sometime in the near future."

Copper smiled at the stallion, "Thanks, believe me, I plan to. This place is beautiful."

Shining Armor and Coppermane talked for a little while until Princess Cadence emerged from her room levitating her luggage with her magic.

"Okay, I'm ready to go! Sorry I took so long!" Cadence said, approaching the colt and stallion.

"Alright, Cadence, have a safe trip. Have fun at the Celebration!" Shining said, giving Cadence a kiss on the cheek, making her blush.

"Thank you, Shining," she said, smiling at her husband, "Ready to go, Copper?"

"Yep! Let's go. The guards are all waiting to escort us," Copper said.

And with that, Cadence and Copper left the castle for the train station, escorted by a good portion of the castle guards


Time: 2:30 PM, Thursday, Train to Canterlot

Being the princess's escort, Copper got to ride in her personal train car with her. It was only slightly better than the other cars. Well, that would be true, if you replace slightly better with infinitely better. Soft couch seats on either side of the car, two extremely comfy beds, a train crew member ready to get us anything we need. Yeah…Copper could get used to this.

Despite the fancy car, Copper's mind was preoccupied by other thoughts…

I can't take her to the grove again, we've already done that. It has to be something else…something we haven't done yet…

Cadence noticed this. Copper had been rather depressed the first couple days in the Crystal Empire, and she knew exactly why. Cadence actually felt kind of bad. She had hoped to get to know the colt a little more than she did, but she was so busy making preparations for her departure, she could never find the time. But she had an opportunity now, and it looked like he needed some help. Cadence and Copper sat on opposite sides of the car, Copper with his head down in deep thought.

"Coppermane, you doing alright over there?" Cadence asked, breaking the silence.

"Huh? Oh…um…yeah, I just…got a lot on my mind is all," Copper said.

"Oh? Like what?" Cadence asked, curiously.

Copper pondered for a moment. He was having trouble thinking of something to do for Fluttershy. His mind was going completely blank, and it was stressing him out to no end. Maybe Cadence could help him?

"Well, I'm…um…trying to think of something to do for Fluttershy," Copper said with a slight blush on his face. He laid down on the seat.

Cadence laid down on her seat as well. She giggled, "You're really in love."

"Yeah, I am," Copper said with an involuntary smile, but it soon faded at his next thought, "but that's the problem. I want to tell her, but the moment has to be…perfect. I don't want to settle for great, or even just amazing, Fluttershy deserves nothing less than perfect. I…I just don't know what to do. I'm at a total loss…and…I don't want to let her down. I can't…disappoint her…"

Cadence giggled, "Copper, I'm sure whatever you do, she'll appreciate you being honest with her about your feelings."

"Yeah, but…I'm at a total loss where to even start. Our last date was…pretty amazing…and I have to top it some way," Copper said, looking down again.

"If you don’t mind me asking…what happened on your last date?" Cadence asked.

Copper hesitated for a moment, but remembered that Cadence was a married mare. She might actually be able to help him here. With that thought in mind, Copper told her all the details of their last date, making Cadence go, "Aww…" about five times during the explanation. Afterwards, Cadence couldn't deny that Copper really was in a bind here.

"Wow…sounds like you really treated her well," Cadence said, giggling.

"I…I guess I did," Copper said with a smile on his face. Memories of that night always warmed his heart.

"Well, let's see. Are there any other special locations you know about?" Cadence asked.

"Not really, I don't get out mu—" Copper suddenly remembered the location he happened upon before he left for the Crystal Empire, "Actually, there was this one place…"

Copper told Cadence about the ledge that he discovered on the mountain that Canterlot stands on. He told her about the view of Equestria, and all the cherry blossom trees.

"Really? That sounds like a perfect place!" Cadence said, her face lighting up.

"Well, it's a start…but…how do I tell her? I want it to be something truly special," Copper said, still worrying.

"Copper, I'm going to tell you something," Cadence started to say. Copper looked up at the alicorn princess, "Love has the power to make even the most mundane of situations seem like the most amazing thing that has ever happened to you. Even something as simple and sweet as cuddling in a cherry blossom grove under the stars. If you take Fluttershy out on that ledge, and just speak from the heart, it will mean the world to her. She'll appreciate that you were honest with your feelings. And if she feels the same way, she'll speak from her heart too. Your date doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be meaningful and personal."

"…speak from the heart…" Copper mumbled to himself. Cadence was so right. He really had a lot to learn about love, didn't he?

"Although…if you want a starting idea, I don't think she'll mind it if you ask her to the Summer Sun Celebration," Cadence said with a wink.

Copper wanted to slap himself in the face. That never even crossed his mind. Why hadn't I thought of that?!

"…Thanks Cadence…I…I feel a lot better now…" Copper said, smiling at the alicorn princess.

Cadence giggled, "No problem. Love is complicated, but it's so worth it, Coppermane," she said with a smile. Cadence however was curious about something else, "So, Copper, are you staying in Ponyville permanently or are you going back to Canterlot after the Celebration?"

"Oh, well, I—" Copper's heart stopped. That thought never even crossed his mind. Princess Celestia has asked the Mayor for the cottage he was staying at only for the…duration of the Celebration…oh no…

Copper immediately drooped in his seat. He didn't want to go back…he couldn't go back…not after everything that has happened. Especially not after…Fluttershy.

"Copper? Are you okay?" Cadence asked, concerned at the colt in front of her. He looked like he had just been kicked in the stomach.

"I…I…I might be…going back to Canterlot…" Copper said with a dreadful look on his face.

"Is…is that bad?" Cadence asked, curious if she had triggered something inside the distressed colt.

"I…I have…history in Canterlot, let's just say that," Copper said flatly, "I…I can't go back…not after everything that's happened…especially after…Fluttershy…"

Copper almost started hyperventilating at his next thought: Would he have to leave Flutteshy…for good? And not just Fluttershy, all of his new friends who loved him like a brother. No…he…he just couldn't.

Cadence got up from her seat and walked over to the panicking colt, "Copper, Copper, just breathe," she said, petting his back trying to calm him down, "I'm sure if you talk to Princess Celestia, you two can work something out. She's very understanding, and I'm sure she'll do everything in her power to help."

Copper's breathing normalized after a while. She was right, maybe she would be understanding.

Copper, cross that bridge when you get there okay? Breathe…it's going to be okay.

"…okay…okay…sorry…" Copper said.

Cadence and Copper talked more for the rest of the trip, mostly talking about what Copper might do for the concert. He had his repertoire already picked out, and he was excited to give the three princesses in Canterlot a sample. He tried to focus on that, and less about his problems. He had bothered Cadence enough with his problems for one week.


Time: 8:00 PM, Thursday, Canterlot Castle

Well, so much for not arriving late at night…

Coppermane's fear came true…they arrived too late, and now the trains were no longer in service. Just his luck…

Copper pushed the negativity inside for the sake of being in front of royalty. He could put on a happy face for his princesses, especially since one of them was his teacher.

Cadence and Copper walked into the castle together, greeted by all of the royal guards with bows. Copper would admit to himself, it was nice have ponies bowing for him (even if it was really for Princess Cadence). The two entered the throne room and were greeted by Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

"Cadence! It's so good to see you!" Princess Celestia said, approaching the alicorn princess. Princess Luna followed behind her.

"Good to see you too, Celestia. Hello Luna!" Cadence said with excitement.

"Copper, thank you so much for getting the Princess here safely. I'm sorry to have asked you to leave on such short notice. I hope it wasn't too troubling for you," Princess Celestia said. Oh, Princess, you have no idea…

"Oh, it was no trouble at all," Copper said, even though it was a complete lie. He decided to not to fire shots at the Princess though. One, because she was his teacher. Two, because she was the princess of Equestria. And three, because she truly had no idea what had been going on when she made that request, so he couldn't exactly blame her.

"I'm sorry we arrived so late. There aren't any trains to Ponyville for the rest of the night. I know you were really looking forward to going back," Cadence said with remorse.

"Oh don't worry, it's not your fault," Copper said.

"Well, I think we have an extra room here in the castle, you can sleep here," Princess Celestia said with a smile.

"Thank you, princess," Copper said.

"You're welcome. Now then, I believe the two other princesses in the room are anxious to hear somepony sing," Princess Celestia said, glancing at Princess Luna and Princess Cadence.

"Indeed," Princess Luna said, "Celestia has told me all about your singing, and I've been eager to hear you."

"Oh, I've been so excited!" Princess Cadence said with obvious excitement, "I was so busy in the Crystal Empire making preparations to leave that I didn't have time to hear him."

"Um…actually, Princess Celestia, can I ask you for a favor?" Copper asked his teacher.

"What do you need, Coppermane?" Princess Celestia asked.

"Um…can I send a letter to Twilight really quick? I want to tell her and everypony else I'm going to be one more day."

"Of course! We can wait in here. Take your time," Princess Celestia said. She was just the nicest princess ever!

"Thank you so much, princess," Copper said. The princess gave him some magic parchment and a quill, and Copper retreated out of the throne room to the outside of the castle, bringing the parchment and quill with him using his magic. He walked over to one of the many trees, trying his best to be out of sight of the guards so they wouldn't see him…cry.

Copper just sat down in the grass next to the tree, dejectedly holding his head down as tears streamed down his face. He was really looking forward to seeing his friends again today. But especially…Fluttershy. He was looking forward to seeing her beautiful face again. Get lost in her captivating teal eyes, hold her warm body close to his, and just be with her. But now he had to wait another day. Was he overreacting? Probably, but he couldn't help himself. He missed her so much, and now he was waiting for one more day.

Copper, c'mon! You've gotta go back inside the castle and sing for the three princesses of Equestria after you write this letter. Don't go in there with a tear-stained face! Don't look weak in front of them!

Copper tried his best to dry his own tears, hoping his eyes weren't too bloodshot and his face wasn't too red from his tears. He looked down at the parchment and quill, took a deep breath to try and calm himself down, and picked up the quill with his magic…

Dear Twilight,

This isn't Princess Celestia, this is Coppermane, and I'm writing to you from Canterlot. Please spread this message around to the others…especially Fluttershy. I have some unfortunate news for you all…


The three princesses were inside the throne room talking, awaiting Copper's return. Finally, the castle door opened, and Copper walked in carrying the parchment and quill with his magic.

I really hope my eyes aren’t too red…

"Is it ready to send, Copper?" Princess Celestia asked.

"Yep! All ready to go," Copper said, trying to mask his depression, "Thanks again."

"No problem at all. Your friends probably miss you a lot. It's nice of you to let them know what's going on," Princess Celestia said. She took the parchment from Copper's magic, and then sent the letter off in a puff of smoke and magic dust. Please don't hate me, Fluttershy.

"Now then, are you ready to show us what you can do?" Princess Celestia asked, also anxious to hear him sing again.

"Yep! You betcha!"

Princess Celestia smiled and flew back to her throne, sitting in between Princess Luna and Princess Cadence, eager to hear the young colt sing.

Coppermane used his magic to summon his quartet, making Princess Luna and Princess Cadence gasp in amazement.

Princess Cadence leaned over and whispered to Princess Celestia, "That's so cool! He's must be a wonderful student."

Princess Celestia humbly whispered back, "Oh he is! It's an honor for me to teach him."

"Okay, so these are some songs that I picked out to sing on Saturday. Hopefully you'll approve," Copper said with a chuckle. For some reason, ever since that picnic with the girls, he felt a lot more confident performing. Having four of him helped a little too. He looked at his quartet, and they signaled to him that they were ready. Copper took out his pitch whistle, and he started his mini-concert.

{Songs: Because, Penny Lane/Good Day Sunshine, Paperback Writer}

When Copper was done, he dismissed his clones and looked at the three applauding princesses.

"Oh that was great!" Princess Luna said, uncharacteristically excited.

"That was amazing! I can't wait to hear you this weekend!" Princess Cadence said, proudly applauding.

"Copper, that was amazing. I knew I chose correctly for the Celebration!" Princess Celestia said.

"Thank you so much for singing for us!" Princess Luna said graciously.

"Hehe…no problem. It was an honor," Copper said, blushing. He let out a mighty yawn, and the princesses giggled.

"You've had a long day. How about I show you to your room?" Princess Celestia suggested.

"Yeah…I'd like that…thank you," Copper said, suddenly feeling very tired.

Princess Celestia led him to his room, "Here we are. Make yourself comfortable."

"Thank you so much, Princess. Good night!" Copper said, smiling at the princess.

"You're very welcome, Coppermane. Good night," The princess said. And with that, she walked to her room to get some sleep herself.

Copper didn't even look around the room this time. He was so tired. He went straight to the bed and just collapsed.

I sure hope Twilight got my letter


Time: 8:15 PM, Thursday, Golden Oak Library

"It's okay, sugarcube, I'm sure he's fine. Maybe the train is just runnin' late," Applejack said, petting a distressed and crying Fluttershy on the back, trying to comfort her.

Fluttershy had gone with all of her friends to the train station to wait on Coppermane. They were all anxious to see the colt again. But there was one problem: about five trains arrived at the station today, and Coppermane was on none of them. Fluttershy was beside herself with sadness and disappointment. Where was Coppermane? Was he hurt? Was he ever coming back? Fluttershy has waited for long enough to see the colt of her dreams. This was just cruel.

Fluttershy’s face buried in her hooves again, crying. "What if he's hurt? What if he's never coming back? What if…what if…" Fluttershy was so worried she could barely think.

Everypony in the room looked at each other with great worry. Not just for their distressed friend, but also for Coppermane. He was their friend too, and they were worried sick. Five days right? He should've been back today. Where was he?

Suddenly, Spike came running down the stairs, "Twilight! Twilight!"

"Spike, I thought you were asleep. What's wrong, we're kind of preoccupied here," Twilight said, indicating the hysterical mare next to her.

"I think you might want to read this," Spike said as Twilight took the letter from Spike with her magic.

"A letter from Princess Celestia?" Applejack asked.

"Not exactly," Spike said, looking nervous.

"Whaddya mean?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Twilight read over the letter, and her eyes widened, "Girls, it's from Coppermane."

Fluttershy gasped upon hearing the colt’s name, lifting her head up, "Coppermane? Is he safe? Is he okay? Please tell me he's okay!" she pleaded, hysterical with worry.

"Fluttershy, please calm down," Rarity said, walking over to the mare and stroking her mane, "What does it say, Twilight?"

Twilight cleared her throat, levitating the note in front of her face with her magic…

Dear Twilight,

This isn't Princess Celestia, this is Coppermane, and I'm writing to you from Canterlot. Please spread this message around to the others…especially Fluttershy. I have some unfortunate news for you all…

First off, I am in Canterlot right now. I got Princess Cadence here without a scratch, and I'm safe in Canterlot. I know I told you girls I'd be back in five days, but I didn't anticipate the trains not being in service when we arrived. So I'm stuck here for the night. Princess Celestia has graciously given me accommodations in her castle, so I'm safe and sound. Believe me, there's nothing I would love more than to be back in Ponyville with all my best friends, but there's nothing I can do. I just wanted to write to you girls and tell you not to worry. I'm perfectly fine. I miss you all so much, and I promise that I will be back in Ponyville tomorrow. And…to Fluttershy…please take care of yourself, and remember to smile. Frowns don't belong on that beautiful face.

I miss you all dearly, and I can't wait to see you girls tomorrow.

Your Friend,
Coppermane

"Oh good, he's okay," Twilight said in a relieved voice.

"Hear that, sugarcube? He's perfectly fine. Y'all just need ta wait one more day is all," Applejack said to Fluttershy, hoping she would be calmer now.

Fluttershy was so relieved. He was fine. She would have to wait for one more day, but she didn't care at this point. She was just so relieved to hear that he was safe. And that comment at the end…remember to smile. Frowns don't belong on that beautiful face…Fluttershy was so touched. She began to cry again, but this time from relief. She smiled for the first time since they arrived at the library.

"…thank goodness…" she said in a relieved and quiet voice. Everypony else in the library sighed with relief that the distressed mare had finally calmed down.

"You alright now, sugarcube?" Applejack asked Fluttershy. Fluttershy nodded, letting tears of relief fall down her face. Applejack wiped her tears.

"Oh, and that line at the end! How sweet!" Rarity said with a giddy smile.

"See, Fluttershy? Copper wouldn't just leave you hanging like that!" Rainbow Dash said, hovering over the mare.

"Well, how about some dinner, girls? I don't know about you, but I'm starving," Twilight said.

"Ooh!" Pinkie Pie said, jumping up suddenly, "I'm starving too! I haven't eaten since lunch!"

"How does that sound, sugarcube?" Applejack asked Fluttershy.

Now that Fluttershy's head was cleared up, she remembered that she hadn't eaten since breakfast. "…that…that sounds fine…" she said weakly, but with a smile.

"Yay!" Pinkie Pie said, springing up and hopping out the door.

All of the mares followed Pinkie Pie out the door with Applejack escorting Fluttershy out. Twilight was at the back of the group, but she stopped for a second to re-examine the letter from Coppermane, and she couldn't help but smile.

"Twilight, are you coming?" Rainbow Dash, being impatient as usual.

"One second, Rainbow!" Twilight said, glancing at the letter one more time and smiling.

That Copper is just the sweetest colt in Equestria. Those two ponies are made for each other. Good luck, Coppermane.

Twilight put the letter down and joined her friends, leaving the letter on the table.

PS: DON'T MENTION THIS PART TO FLUTTERSHY. I've got something extremely special planned for her during the Celebration this weekend. I'm going to ask her to be my date. Again, please don't tell her this, I just want you to know what might happen. Thank you, I can't wait to see you guys again!

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment, and if you enjoyed it, like and share! I'll see you all next chapter. Until next time...peace!