• Published 30th Dec 2015
  • 6,703 Views, 176 Comments

Sweet and Delicate - Nordryd



Coppermane, an introverted & insecure student of Princess Celestia, is asked to perform at the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville. Being a shy pony in a new town isn't easy for him, until he meets the most beautiful mare he's ever seen in his life.

  • ...
13
 176
 6,703

Ch.2: Persuasion

Time: 6:00 PM, Friday, Canterlot Castle

Princess Celestia started approaching Coppermane while he was practicing his magic, still contemplating how she was going to coax the young unicorn into performing in Ponyville for the Summer Sun Celebration. It wasn't going to be easy, but Copper had to get more social. He had been keeping to himself his entire life, and it was time he made some friends. For as long as he’s been her student, Princess Celestia has noticed that Copper’s been going through a lifelong depression, and she knew why. He felt lonely. Even if he didn’t want to admit it, he knew in his heart to be the truth.

The Princess knew that if there was any city in Equestria where Copper was most likely to make new and long-lasting friendships, it was Ponyville. Heck, it even brought Twilight Sparkle out of her shell. In a way, Copper reminded Princess Celestia a lot of Twilight. He was always so focused on his studies, and was very introverted. While they both were exemplary students, they needed to learn how to interact with other ponies and make friends. The princess knew that Twilight wouldn't trade her friendships for the world, and her life was better, while still being one of the princess's best students.

Copper was a bit more of an extreme case, however. Twilight was never bullied when she was little. In fact, while she was asocial, Twilight did have some friends. Copper really has never had any real friends in his life. Twilight also wasn’t as emotionally damaged as Coppermane was. He’s had some traumatizing experiences. When the princess first started teaching the young colt, he was very reserved and reluctant. During their first few lessons, the princess had to reassure him that she’s seen what he can do, and that she wouldn’t have taken him under her wing if she didn’t see something special in him. After a while, he started becoming more and more open with her, until one day, the Princess asked about his past. He was reluctant at first, but after copious amounts of coaxing, he finally told her his story. The Princess was shocked, and a little heartbroken to hear his tale, but after telling her, the two of them were closer than ever. Even so…he needed to step out of his comfort zone out into the real world.

Princess Celestia knew that the ponies of Ponyville would accept him no matter what, and that it would be the best place for him to make friends. And once he sang for them, and they heard what he could do, they would absolutely adore him. That's all Coppermane really wanted more than anything else…acceptance. Acceptance for who he is, and to not be an outcast because of his transgressions. The Princess knew all of this, and she figured it was time. It wouldn’t be easy, and he wouldn’t like it one bit, but he needed help, and Princess Celestia had to be the one to push him forward.

"Coppermane, may I speak with you for a second?" the princess asked, approaching the young colt.

Copper jumped slightly, not expecting anyone to interrupt him. "Oh Princess Celestia, it's you," he said, smiling. He closed his spell book and looked up at the Princess. "What do you need? Is something wrong?"

"Nothing at all, Coppermane. Although…yesterday I was taking a walk around the castle, and I heard the most beautiful singing voice coming from the courtyard,” she said vaguely.

Coppermane's face immediately flushed red. He bit his lip, "Oh…you did huh? Um…m-maybe somepony left a r-record player out th-there?"

Princess Celestia raised her eyebrow and smirked, expecting a reaction like that. "Or…my student has a talent he’s been hiding from me."

Crap. Caught red-hoofed. Coppermane opened his mouth to protest, but no words came out. She already knew. It would be pointless to deny it, and would only intrigue her more. He sighed, "You got me. Wait...did you say I sounded…good?"

Princess Celestia giggled, "Copper, you have a spectacular voice! And it seems like you've been applying your magic practices outside of your studies. I think I heard four Coppermanes singing out in the courtyard. That’s why you wanted to learn that duplication spell, isn’t it?”

Coppermane blushed. She was correct again. He sighed, “Yeah…”

“Why have you hidden this talent from me all this time Copper?" Princess Celestia asked curiously.

"Umm…well…I used to get teased in school for liking barbershop music. They all said with was lame…just like me,” Coppermane said in shame.

Princess Celestia couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Lame? Nonsense! Barbershop music is fantastic!"

"You like barbershop?" Coppermane was so excited to hear this.

"Of course! Such a unique and invigorating tone,” Princess Celestia said. “And while I was listening…I had a thought.”

Copper was still blushing from being caught singing. “Wh-What did you think of?”

“I take it you’re aware of the Summer Sun Celebration happening in a couple weeks, yes?” Princess Celestia asked.

“Of course,” Coppermane said. Everypony knew about it!

“Well, hear me out. We have everything ready…except for entertainment…” she said, letting that sink in.

Coppermane's mind started racing. He was starting to put two and two together, and came up with a terrifying theory of what she might be thinking.

“E-Entertainment?” Coppermane said nervously.

Princess Celestia nodded, and smirked. “I think having you perform would be perfect!” she said with enthusiasm.

Copper's heart dropped. Perform? At the Summer Sun Celebration? For all of those ponies? Was she serious? She couldn’t be…

"Wait…perform…at one of the most important events in Equestria…in a city that I've never been to before? Forgive me princess, but…are you serious?" he asked, becoming visibly sweaty.

Princess Celestia smirked, confirming Coppermane's fear. "I knew you would be reluctant, but I think deep down, you want to perform.”

"Um…what do you mean exactly?" Copper asked, slightly confused and afraid of what the answer was going to be. Copper had always been an easy pony to read.

"Copper, I think if you really didn't want anyone to hear you sing, you'd practice in a more remote location, rather than in the castle courtyard."

Shoot…she had hit it right on the nail. And she wasn't done.

"Furthermore, I would think that at the very least, you would use a cone of silence spell. A spell like that isn't hard to cast."

Wow…she was so right…he could've just done that. Maybe subconsciously he really did want to perform. Besides, on top of being the princess of Equestria, she was also his teacher. He couldn’t say no to her. His hooves were tied.

"Well, I guess I could, but…I don't even know anypony in Ponyville."

"I know for a fact that Ponyville is one of the friendliest towns in Equestria," said the princess, "I promise that if you go there, everypony is going to love you! One of my former students lives there y'know."

"Oh yeah…Twilight Sparkle right?"

The princess nodded. "Indeed. I know she and her group of friends will make you feel welcome once you meet them, along with many of the other ponies there.”

There's really no getting out of this is there? Coppermane thought. Okay, I can give it a shot I guess. Why does the princess have to be so good?

Coppermane sighed in defeat. "Okay, I'll do it,” he said, making the princess smile.

"I know you're nervous, Copper," the princess said, trying to comfort the young colt, "but I promise you, nopony in Ponyville is going to make fun of you. But I also want you to try and make friends down there. You can't just stay isolated form everypony for the rest of your life. It's not healthy. I know that deep down, you want to make friends. I know you better than you think, Coppermane. Take this as an opportunity.”

Coppermane's had a lot on his mind at the moment. Could he really make some friends down there? Could it be possible? Copper’s never been outside of Canterlot, so it would be a breath of fresh air. Maybe it would be what he was looking for all his life. An opportunity to just be himself, and not be judged for it. And as far as he knew, nopony in Ponyville has even heard of him. It would be a fresh start. Part of him was excited, but a good majority of him was nervous as all get-out.

"Well…thank you, princess, for this opportunity,” Coppermane said, trying to put on a happy face.

"I'm so glad you've agreed to do this, Copper." Princess Celestia said, "I know everyone will absolutely love you. You have more talent than you let on, dear Coppermane. I hope this event will let you realize that. There's more to life than just studies you know, and that's coming from your teacher." Princess Celestia giggled. "You know, Twilight Sparkle was sent on a similar task, and she decided to stay in Ponyville after making friends. You remind me a lot of her before I sent her to Ponyville."

"Really? Well, we'll just have to see I guess. When will I leave?" Coppermane asked.

"The Celebration is in two weeks, but I'm sure you'll need some time for preparation, so I want you to go tomorrow,” the princess said.

"Tomorrow?!" Copper said suddenly, making the princess flinch. "Um…sorry…but…isn't that a little early?"

"You’ll need some preparation time, and also I want you to get acquainted with ponies in Ponyville. Hopefully that'll make your performance a little less stressful."

Coppermane looked down, his head about to explode. So much was being dropped on him at once, and he was still trying to process all the information.

The princess saw his distressed expression. “I know this is a lot to take in, but sooner rather than later when it comes to tasks like these.”

Copper sighed in defeat. This was really happening, wasn’t it? "I guess…I guess I'll get my things ready then."

Princess Celestia giggled. "You'll have fun Copper, I know it. Meet me outside the castle tomorrow at noon, and I'll go to Ponyville with you. I'm know the mayor will gladly give you accommodations. You'll be on your own after that."

Copper sighed, trying to organize his thoughts. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow…I guess."

"You'll be fantastic, Coppermane," the princess said reassuringly. “I know you’re apprehensive, but give it the benefit of the doubt, and you might be surprised. Make the most of it. It can be a great experience, or a miserable one, but it all depends on your attitude.”

Coppermane managed a small smile, trying to mask his doubt and uneasiness. "Okay…I…I will. G-Good night, princess…"

Copper headed home, and was beside himself with stress. Could he make friends? Would they judge him? Would he be good enough to perform at one of the most important events in Equestria? What if he failed the princess in regard to making friends? He thought about it, and he had no idea how to talk to other ponies. What if he just annoyed everypony? What if everypony just thought he was weird? What if they knew about…what happened? What would the Princess think if he came back from his trip friendless? Would the Princess think he's not taking his studies seriously? Would she no longer decide to teach him magic? Would he have to go back to normal school again?

Copper stopped in his tracks for a second for a quick breather, trying to calm himself down. He always did this. Why did Copper's mind have to blow everything out of proportion all the time? It's just how his brain operated. He worried about everything all the time. As apprehensive as he was, he knew the princess was right. He really did want a friend. Someone he could talk to when he needed help, or someone just to always have his back. Someone to look out for him, and in turn, he'd look out for them, and help them whenever they needed it. Someone that would like him for who he is, and look through his flaws and past mistakes. Copper smiled at the thought, but it promptly diminished after his previous doubts snuck back into his mind.

Copper just tried to shove those doubts out of his mind for the time being and decided he should go home and pack up. He could worry about all of this later once he's settled in Ponyville.

That night, he dreamt about what the concert might be like, tossing and turning in his sleep, mumbling to himself…

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment, and if you enjoyed it, like and share! I'll see you all next chapter. Until next time...peace!