• Published 27th Dec 2015
  • 1,686 Views, 47 Comments

MLP: Eternal Dream - kurusagi16



All was quiet in Ponyville, until a new (and somehow familiar) mare befriends Fluttershy. But there seems to be more to her, and she doesn't seem to like Fluttershy's other friends. All she wants is Fluttershy, but why?

  • ...
2
 47
 1,686

Chapter 13

Chapter 13



There was a bit of commotion from the servants as Discord and the ponies suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the hallway. A few of which, dashed off to inform the queen of the intruders.

"That was close." said Fluttershy. She gave Eve a look of concern. "Are you alright?" Eve was stunned, not knowing what else to say except, "Why? Why, after everything, did you save me?" Fluttershy looked down as she smiled.

"Even though you did those terrible things, you were and still are my friend, and friends don't give up on each other when they're in trouble."

"What?! Are you serious?" Discord practically hollered. "Are you feeling well my dear? Not still under this horrid mare's influence?" Fluttershy frowned at him and shook her head.

"Everypony deserves a second chance, and this is Eve's." she said, taking Eve's hooves in hers. "You were just misguided. And I don't blame you too much for wanting nothing but my friendship." Fluttershy then became serious. "On the other hoof, I want you to make up for all that you've done. Starting with an apology to my friends for what you put them through." Eve looked guiltily into the faces of the Draconequus and the alicorn. She bowed her head to them.

"I'm sorry for everything, for tricking you and making you fight me in that coliseum." Eve said sorrowfully. "But most of all," she said turning to Fluttershy, "I'm sorry for what I did to you Fluttershy. I lied, I made you forget about your friends, I forced you to partake in my illusion. All I ask is for your forgiveness." Eve shut her eyes, bracing for whatever Fluttershy might do or say. But what she hadn't expected was the pegasus hugging her warmly, and whispering softly, "I already have." Tears flowed freely from Eve's eyes as she hugged Fluttershy back. Discord made gagging noises.

"I hardly think that pony deserves any forgiveness from Fluttershy." he grumbled. Fluttershy scolded him.

"Discord! Don't be rude to Eve."

"Forgive me Fluttershy, but you really are too forgiving. One day that kindness of yours could be the end of you."

"It's that same kindness and forgiveness that made us friends, and remain friends to this day despite everything that you do or say." Discord was silenced. He sighed, and chose to drop it. He'd have to learn to get used to Eve, even if he didn't want anything else to do with her. But Fluttershy wished to forgive her, and be friends with her, and if that was her wish then he'd do his best to accommodate to it. Of course, he would see to it that Eve would keep to her place, and not try to steal all of Fluttershy's attention away again. He'd keep his eyes on her.

Queen Amalthea, followed by Princess Luna, approached them in the hallway. Eve dropped down and bowed to the queen.

"Your highness." she said. "I...I..." Queen Amalthea lifted a hoof, prompting her to keep quiet.

"Moonlight Eve, in light of your crimes, I wish to speak with you about your punishment, in private." said Amalthea. Eve paled, but kept her head lowered.

"Wait!" said Fluttershy. "Please, your majesty, don't be too hard on Eve." Queen Amalthea arched and eyebrow, puzzled by this.

"You've forgiven her?" she asked. "After she kidnapped you?" Fluttershy nodded.

"Eve...wasn't herself, she didn't mean for things to get out of hoof." The queen looked at her intently.

"That's all well and good, but Eve is one of my subjects, and there is much I wish to talk to her about." Eve trotted to the queen and followed her to the counsel chambers, looking over her shoulder back at Fluttershy, looking a little scared.

"I hope she'll be alright." Fluttershy said fretfully.

"Good riddance I say." said Discord. Twilight and Fluttershy both scolded, "Discord!"

"What?"


This was it, Eve was prepared to face her doom as Queen Amalthea closed the doors of the counsel room and locked them. She gulped nervously.

"Have a seat." Eve obeyed. The queen sat in front of her, Eve squirmed under her gaze, waiting to hear her punishment and be done with it. What would happen to her? Will she be banished? Thrown in a dungeon? Beheaded?! She felt herself grow faint at the thought. No Nightmare had ever went against the queen, because nopony knew what would happen or what she'd do if you dared to cross her. It was bound to be something unbelievably horrible. 'At least I got to see Fluttershy one last time.' she thought sadly.

"Tell me, when you were in the Garden of Shadows, what happened there?" Eve was stunned. She certainly wasn't expecting this. She took a deep breath and explained how she'd been experimenting with dust mixtures, hoping to find something that would make Nightmares useful once more (as well as to help her find a way to see Fluttershy again). She'd went to the garden to find ingredients to mix with. While in there, something had given her the power to produce solid illusions from her shadows. She also went on to how she created a giant cage, a mansion, and a whole lot of other illusions.

"There was something there, whispering to me, egging me on. I...wasn't myself anymore." Queen Amalthea nodded, listening carefully.

"Now, when you say your shadows-"

"It's...something I could do. I could travel through shadows like they were portals, but the power must've been enhanced by the garden or something." said Eve. The queen lifted Eve's head, looking deep into her eyes.

"Hmm, most interesting..."

"What is?"

"It's nothing, I will not hold you accountable for all of your actions. Even an alicorn can be tempted by that place's corruptible essence. However, you will be doing manual labor all throughout the castle. I will give you the most back breaking chores we have here, until I'm satisfied that your punishment has been served." Eve bowed her head.

"Yes, my queen." she said.

"I expect you to have all of your essentials packed up by this afternoon, tomorrow at the latest." Amalthea said. Eve's head shot up in surprise.

"M-my essentials?"

"You will be living here from now on."

"But, but why?"

"An old friend has made me stop and reconsider my actions. I'm allowing Nightmares to once more aid dreamers with Princess Luna. There is...some potential in you. I will merely ask for your suggestions and opinions from time to time." Eve couldn't believe it. The queen wanted to hear her thoughts? This couldn't be real! The queen retained a stiff expression.

"Let us be clear that you will not be receiving special treatment. I will work your hooves to the bone." she said. Eve nodded vigorously. She almost leaped out of her seat.

"Y-yes! Of course! Oh, thank you your majesty!" Eve said excitedly. She didn't even care about the labor she'd be going through. The queen wouldn't lock her up, or behead her, or banish her! And that alone was worth celebrating.The queen's lips curved at seeing the young Nightmare's enthusiasm. With everything she wanted to say out of the way, she let Eve leave, her golden eyes drifting to the empty space behind her.

"I take it you heard all of that Luna?" she asked. The illusion faded, the once empty corner now revealed the alicorn, looking at the queen perplexed.

"I don't understand. Why are you letting her live here?" asked Luna. "Why are you asking for her thoughts on the well being of your kingdom?"

"So many questions seem to be asked of me lately." Amalthea sighed. "I wasn't lying to her when I said that there was some potential in her, it is best that she remain here so I can keep a close eye on her. Perhaps I can teach her a thing or two."

"Potential for what exactly?"

"I'm tired Luna, I must get my rest if I'm to address my subjects tomorrow, maybe some other time I'll tell you. I hope you'll enjoy the helping hooves that I'm lending you.For course, it'll be good to give them something more productive to do with their time" Luna grinned a little.

"It'll be just like old times." said Luna almost wistfully. It would be good to have the Nightmares helping her again. Amalthea nodded, sharing a mutual feeling.

"Yes, like old times."


Eve had told the news to Fluttershy, and her friend congratulated her, asking if she needed any help in packing. Eve said that she could handle it fine on her own, but Fluttershy insisted on having Discord's help, the Draconequus begrudgingly conjured a few suitcases for Eve to use.

"Don't expect me to carry all that." he'd said. Fluttershy had thanked him for his help, and gave Eve a kind smile. Now Eve was in her house, finishing up all of her packing, when a knock sounded on the door.

"Come in!" Eve called. Twilight Sparkle stepped inside. Eve dropped her dust notes and bowed to her.

"Princess, what brings you here?" she asked. Twilight waved a hoof.

"You don't need to do that Eve, Fluttershy told me about how you're moving to the castle, and I came to see how you were doing."

"I'm fine thank you." Twilight suddenly looked anxious.

"I, uh, also came to apologize, for tricking you as well." Eve tilted her head.

"Huh?"

"Those two Nightmares, Dawn and Dusk, that was me and Discord in disguise." Twilight admitted. Eve's widened in surprise.

"Y-you mean...it was you two!?" Twilight nodded.

"Yeah, sorry about that. It was also Discord you pulled all those pranks and pinned the blame on you."

"I should've known."

"So, we'll be heading back to Equestria tomorrow, wanna come and see us off?" Eve looked away.

"I don't think so. It's best if I just, lay low for a bit, and get ready to move to the castle." Twilight laid a hoof on Eve's shoulder.

"If you change your mind, we'll be in the throne room." said Twilight. The princess turned to leave but was stopped by Eve.

"Wait! Um....Twilight, if it's okay, you don't have to but, could you....be my friend?" asked Eve. "I promise I won't go crazy, I didn't even know what came over me! I'll be-" Twilight stopped her there.

"I'd be glad to be your friend Eve." she said smiling. "And who knows, you might make even more friends." Eve smiled too. The thought of having more than one friend felt too good to be true. Such an idea made her feel, happy. Utterly and truly, happy.


"I hope you weren't too upset, about our fight from before I mean." said Fluttershy meekly. She'd walked alongside Discord to his guest room, the two talking to one another about what had happened during the past few days. Discord waved his claw.

"Oh, never mind that Fluttershy, all is forgiven. I'm just glad to see that you're safe and sound my dear." he said, almost tenderly. Fluttershy smiled up at him. Discord had missed that smile. His chest felt a pleasant warmth, like the one he felt from his dream, only it felt bigger, and spread all through him in Fluttershy's actual presence.

"It was strange, being locked in that cage, not remembering you, or the girls, or even Angel. But, Eve was there, and Lumen too, and they did their best to provide me with good company." said Fluttershy.

"Honestly, that Queen Amalthea is being too soft on that pony. She deserves to be punished severely after what she did to you!"

"Eve was just lonely, and jealous, and that made her lose sight of what was important. I'd think you of all ponies would understand, you've been jealous a couple times." Fluttershy teased.

"That's different. For one thing, I didn't force you into being my friend slash plaything, and how do we even know that Eve really has changed?"

"Now, now, if I'm forgiving Eve, then it's fair that you forgive her too. Other wise, how will you two ever become friends?"

"Me?! Friends with her?!" Discord asked skeptically. "That is a cruel joke my dear."

"It's not a joke, I think you two would be good friends if you gave each other a chance."

"But she-!"

"Please Discord?" Discord couldn't refuse Fluttershy's request, especially when she was giving him that adorable doe-eyed look.

"Very well Fluttershy, for you I will attempt to give her a chance." he said. Though in truth, he didn't trust the Nightmare as far as she could throw him. It would take a lot to convince him otherwise. Pleased with his answer, Fluttershy smiled and gave him a quick hug, a hug he'd wished had lasted a little bit longer.

"Thank you Discord." Discord's face felt a touch warm. What was the matter with him? This feeling, what was it?

"Anytime my dear." When they arrived at the guest room, they found Queen Amalthea standing outside.

"You're finally here, I wish to speak with you, Discord." she said. Discord looked down at Fluttershy who gave an understanding nod.

"I'll be with Twilight if you need me." she said. He watched as Fluttershy trotted back down the hall to Twilight's room. The queen cleared her throat and gestured for Discord to enter. Using his magic, he materialized into the room, lounging on the guest bed.

"What is that you want?" he asked idly, not really caring what her reason was for coming.

"I heard how you've pranked my Nightmares."

"Is everypony going to be on my back about that? None of you ponies seem to have a good sense of humor these days." he said. Amalthea shook her head.

"You are truly a strange and confusing creature." she said.

"Thank you!"

"It wasn't a compliment."

"I know. Is that all?" Amalthea nodded.

"I just came to warn you that there will be consequences if you even think to harm my subjects." said the queen in the usual droll that royalty seemed to use when addressing him. "I shall leave you now to catch up with your, marefriend." she said turning to leave. Discord's eyes widened, he laughed nervously.

"Marefriend? Why, whatever do you mean?" Amalthea tilted her head, her golden eye not unlike a cat's as she regarded him.

"I beg your pardon, I just assumed that you were in love with the pony, from the way you were looking at her and how happy you seemed around her." Queen Amalthea said. "But perhaps I was mistaken."

"Mistaken is right, we're just friends, nothing more." he said, his throat clenching nervously.

"Right then, have a good day. And remember, my Nightmares aren't to be tinkered with." As the door was shut, Discord felt his stomach go through almost literal knots. Love? Him? Preposterous! Fluttershy and him were just friends....weren't they? He put his claw to his chest, his heart seeming to beat even faster at the thought of the pegasus, and him actually loving her. Was he in love? Fluttershy was certainly a lovely little thing, and she was willing to put up with him, treating him like any one of her other friends. His beloved best friend, he'd fought against Eve for her (though Eve was hardly a threat), he'd do anything to see that she was happy. The warmth in his chest, that felt grander than friendship, there could only be one other word for it. Love. No, he couldn't be, but it was true. He felt love toward her. But he didn't have any romantic thoughts or any of that gushy stuff in romance novels. Perhaps this was just a slight crush? The door knocked.

"C-come in!" he stammered. Fluttershy opened the door a crack, then stepped inside.

"Ah, Fluttershy, did you need something?"

"Um, yes, I remembered that there was something, I wanted to ask of you."

"Name it my dear." Fluttershy smiled sweetly and spoke her request.

Author's Note:

Last chapter coming up. Then I shall prepare for the sequel! It's the beginnings of love. What do you all suppose was Fluttershy's request?