• Published 16th Dec 2015
  • 3,271 Views, 19 Comments

Shadow and Twilight - The-Black-Knight



Things didn't go, as planned, in the Crystal Empire. Sombra was defeated, but he used a clone to try and take the Crystal Heart. Now, he has Twilight Sparkle captive, and trying to force her to become his student. Celestia, stricken with grief, sends

  • ...
3
 19
 3,271

Chapter One

Author's Note:

Disclaimer-…. Really, I seriously gotta put this here again? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Figured you guys would get the picture I don’t own the stuff I post except… Maybe a character here and there that I insert. LIKE FOR THIS ONE! I do not own anything MLP, that’s owned by Hasbro. HOWEVER! Mr. H, you’ll read his real name later, I do own… Take it, and I’ll sue the crapola outta ya. Yes, I actually do own the name and character design -.- TRADEMARK BITCHES! *holds up sign*

Chapter One: Mister H

Long ago, before Equestria was fully formed, a great battle was waged across their world, and many others. Princess Celestia, who was but just a foal, watched as Ancient Beings of unbelievable power fought over their world against demonic creatures of chaotic energies. She watched in excitement of one, who stood taller than the rest. He fought the hardest, despite his older brother and four nephews fighting nearby, because Celestia’s castle was right behind him.

She called him “Big Brother” many times, because she had no other siblings at the time. Her parents fought alongside them, trying to defeat these creatures of chaos, though it would be lost were it not for these Six Ancient Guardians. When one of the chaotic creatures approached Celestia’s window, seeing the foal watching the battle, he went to grab her… But was quickly pulled back by a whip of shadow, sending it back to her “Big Brother”.

The Ancient Being roared, “None of you shall touch Tia! You hear me!? NONE OF YOU!” She couldn’t watch when he attacked, because each time his hands swung the sunlight just flashed off of his body…. Making a polished metal shine appear. Against his older brother’s wishes, the Ancient Being actually treated Celestia like his own baby sister, often visiting her when he can. When he was selected to protect the castle where she stayed, the being has assured his little sister that no one would harm her, and he kept that promise with every ounce of power and magic within him.

When the war was over, things became even more chaotic. The Six Ancient Guardians knew someone had to go through the door, and keep others from crossing, being allowed into the mortal realm for only special emergencies. The Six argued, but one of them remained silent for a very long time, thinking… His thoughts were mostly on Celestia, and what she would think.

While the other five argued, he quickly visited the little foal, in her room, as his cloaked form. They played for quite a while, different games of hide and seek or even a simple game of tag, before he finally made a decision. The guardian created a crystal, made of pure shadow, and handed it to her. “Big Brother is… Going away for a while, Tia, alright? This crystal here is a piece of me, think of it as me being with you wherever you are. When you make a choice, know I’ll be there to support you.” The foal took the crystal, using a small amount of magic to hold it. “And yes, you will always be my baby sister, no matter what, and some day? I will return.”

A tear started to form in the foal’s eye. “But… Big Brother… Why do you have to go? Why can’t you stay?” She asked, tilting her head.

He chuckled a bit, rubbing her head with his sleeved hand. “Because I have a very important job to do, to keep you safe.” He said, wiping the tear away. “Though, who knows, you may have a younger sibling someday… You’ll understand then, why I made this choice.” With that, he disappeared from her room.

The young foal touched the crystal, as it floated on to her necklace and turned into a dark purple color… "Come back soon, Big Brother." She said, to herself, watching out the window. A massive door was standing in front of the castle. Her Big Brother suddenly appeared, the other guardians chasing after him. With one last glance, as if looking back at her, he rushed through the door… Soon closing right after he crossed, large shadow tendrils forcing it to do so, disappearing for good.

Present Day….

Celestia was sitting on her throne, rubbing the stone on her necklace, smiling at it. I understand now, Big Brother… I thank you for teaching me what it means to sacrifice for those you love. She thought, before her concentration broke.

“Sister?” A dark blue and black alicorn mare asked, walking up to Celestia.

“Yes, Luna? What is it? Has Twilight returned?” She asked, noticing that the lights in the sky, from the Crystal Empire, had returned and glowed brightly. “I can see she has defeated King Sombra.”

Luna instantly started to frown. “King Sombra… Was defeated, Sister. But he wasn’t destroyed, the monster ran away! When the others looked for Twilight, she…” It took a few moments for her to get the next words out, Celestia fearing the very worse.

“W-What happened, Luna!? Is Twilight alright?” She asked, fearing for her favorite pupil, who had become like a daughter to the older Princess.

“W-We don’t know, Sister. She was gone, she had disappeared… With only a note saying…” She looked off to the side, before repeating what was said. “I may have been beaten… But I at least have one prize.”

A tear slowly fell from Celestia’s eyes, before she suddenly screamed out. “Send out everyone! All the Guards! All the Pegasi! Find her!” Luna nodded, never seeing her sister like this, and rushed off to send out the order. When everyone left, the elder Princess fell back into her throne, tears falling from her face. Oh… What have I done!? W-Why did I send her, she was an obvious target for him! Her mind screamed, the pain feeling like someone had stabbed her in the heart. Big Brother… Help me, I don’t know what I’d do if he harms poor Twilight.
Unknown to Princess Celestia, someone was watching and listening to her. Their bright red gaze had never left the alicorn, since the day he left her for good.

Not far outside of the Crystal Empire, within a dark abandoned castle, deep within the dungeons….

“I’ll never submit to you! No matter how long you try to torture me!” A lavender unicorn, with a dark purple mane and pink streak, shouted. “Celestia will rescue me!”

A shadowed figure, whose eyes were green with red irises, laughed at her. His body slowly formed into a darkened unicorn, with a red curved horn. He had a dark coat, with a matching black mane that burned like black flames. “It has already been three days since I took you from that tower, Twilight Sparkle. Your Princess has abandoned you.” He said, a fanged grin appearing on his face.

“No she hasn’t!” Twilight retorted, glaring up at the large stallion. “She would never leave me here! When she comes, she’ll defeat you, Sombra!”

“It seems… I’ll have to increase your reeducation about how alone you are?” King Sombra said, before charging up a spell of chaotic magic and blasting the young mare! Making her go into fits of screaming pain. Every ounce of it, actually making the stallion grin wider in pleasure. “Feel your worst nightmares, come alive!” He said, before slowly leaving the cell and closing the door behind him.

Though, while the nightmare was already in place, after he left… The darkness around young Twilight started to slowly creep up her body. It touched the chaotic magic, making it recoil a bit when shocked, but quickly stabbed into the nightmare inducing spell that was already in place.
“Twilight Sparkle! You are hereby cast out of Equestria and dismissed as my student!” Princess Celestia yelled out, pointing out the door.

“B-But, Princess! I tried! H-He was too strong! I couldn’t fight him…” Twilight pleaded, seeing the angry look on her mentor’s face.

“You failed my test, and are no longer my student. Now, leave!” Celestia demanded, as laughter came from Twilight’s right.

“Look at that failure!” Rainbow Dash said, laughing, the others agreed.

“I knew she was so, the first moment I looked at that monstrosity she calls a hair style!” Rarity said, in a smug tone.

“She’s a bigger loser than I am! And that’s saying something.” Fluttershy said, quietly, as she giggled a bit.

“G-Girls?” Twilight said, a tear starting to form in her eyes. “W-Why?”

“Did you not hear me, Twilight Sparkle!? I said LEAVE!” Princess Celestia cut in, just as the Royal Guard started to approach.

Twilight quickly held her arms up, trying to protect herself, but soon dropped the guard as a voice exploded. “ENOUGH!” And a cloaked figure appeared in front of her, forcing the nightmare to disappear.

The nightmare shattered into a dark abyss, Twilight slowly floated around, looking to see if she could find the figure that ended Sombra’s spell so quickly. It didn’t take long, before her eyes fell on the dark cloaked figure, who stood upright like no creature she ever seen. His chest was broad, and his front legs looked more like arms. If she didn’t know better, the cloaked figure looked like a Human from the fairy tale books she has read. The strangest thing, his hood was pulled down, keeping his face hidden, while his sleeves were far too long and hid both hands.

“W-Who are you?” She asked, looking up at him in shock.

The cloaked figure just leaned down and eyed her with his shadow covered hood. “Not now… I’ll tell you, when you’ve awakened.” He said, before the sound of snapped fingers woke her.

Twilight quickly shot up, looking around to notice that her cell was dark as the abyss, only the cell door allowing light to enter. “Um… Are you there?” She asked, before noticing the shadows were wrapped around her body.

“I am… I assume you are Twilight Sparkle?” A voice asked. She nodded, trying to look around to find the cloaked figure, but saw no one. “Good. So, tell me, how did you get into this situation, young mare?”

Twilight continued to look around, “Didn’t you say you’d tell me who you are, when I woke up?” She asked.

“Ah, I did, didn’t I? Apologies.” The voice said, as she felt the grasp around her slowly release from her body. “I have many names, some not so comforting, while others surprising. But, you may call me Mr. H. Now, my question?”

Twilight nodded, not feeling very trusting of the voice, for all she knew this could be one of Sombra’s tricks. “When I was trapped on top of the Crystal Palace… Sombra allowed a clone of himself go for the Crystal Heart, while he actually went for me. Next thing I know, I’m chained in this cell, being tortured by that monster.” She explained, remember how badly she felt for being captured by him.

“Really now? He can make clones? Quite interesting, since his magic is rather… Limited.” The voice said, as she felt the shadows around her moving.

“Wait, limited? How? Sombra is really powerful, I mean…. He surpasses me, or even Princess Celestia and Luna.” Twilight said, still trying to find the cloaked figure.

“Eh? Luna? Who is that?” The voice asked.

“Princess Luna? Princess of the Moon? Princess Celestia’s younger sister?” Twilight answered, tilting her head and raising a brow.

“Oh? That’s quite interesting… And yes, limited. You see, I sensed that stallion has shadow magic, buuuut…” A Shadow flame suddenly appeared in front of her, starting to dance around, and taking several forms. Before long, it suddenly hardened into the shape of Twilight’s Cutie Mark! “He was corrupted before fully understanding what the shadow was really meant to do.”

Twilight backed away from the crystal, pushing herself up against the wall. “I knew it! You’re one of Sombra’s tricks, trying to convince me to be his student!” She growled, glaring around the cell.

The voice suddenly started to laugh. “Me? His tricks? My, my, my, Twilight! You’re funny!” The voice continued to laugh before calming down. “Seriously though, I’m not. Trust me, when I say that.”

“And how am I supposed to know this? You’re not very convincing, and I have been suffering through nightmarish torture for the past three days… For all I know, you’re Sombra trying a new tactic.” Twilight explained, still scanning the room.

“…… No wonder Princess Celestia picked you, you’re quite the thinker.” The voice complimented. “And I guess I don’t really have much to show I’m telling the truth, but… You have to trust me on that, I’m actually here to help.”

“Of course you are…” Twilight said, laying down, and curling up. She started to shiver, it was getting really cold gain. Sombra had some sort of spell that prevents her from dying of hypothermia, but it didn’t help-…. Warmth? She thought, as her body started to get warm again, the cold disappearing from her body. She looked up, and noticed the shadows shifting around her body again, this time moving all around her.

“Better?” The voice asked, before a shadow in the corner molded out, and the cloaked figure appeared. “Mmmm… If I’m going to get you to trust me, maybe I should take this one step at a time.” He looked around, noticing the door as a clopping sound was heard. “Ah… I know the perfect way to do it… Quick! Pretend you’re weakened by his spell!” He said, before disappearing.

Twilight did as the voice said, and pretended to be weakened… Just as Sombra opened the cell door. “So… Rethink your position yet, Twilight Sparkle?” He asked, keeping his fanged grin up.

She looked up at him, glaring. “I haven’t changed my mind! I’ll never be your student!” She yelled, Sombra’s grin fading away.

Sombra didn’t notice the cloaked figure suddenly appearing behind him, moving around, floating in the air. “Then you leave me no choice, Twilight Sparkle… I’ll have to use my strongest nightmare spell on you-..” He suddenly stopped, as the cloaked figure leaned in and started speaking into his ear.

Wait… Never mind, I will just leave you here to wallow in the solitude of your cell.” Mr. H said, holding a hand up to the ear, like he was whispering to him.

“Wait… Never mind, I will just leave you here to wallow in the solitude of your cell.” Sombra repeated, like he was in some kind of trance.

Twilight just looked, in awe, as Sombra was repeating the cloaked figure, word for word, like nothing. He looked at her, and nodded, before leaning back in to whisper something else. “Now, deal with it, Ms. Sparkle! While I go and figure out something else to do.”

Sombra glared down at Twilight, the mist in his eyes just dancing there. “Now, deal with it, Ms. Sparkle! While I go and figure out something else to do.” He repeated, before turning and leaving the cell, closing the door behind him.

Twilight waited until she was sure that Sombra was gone, before speaking up. “H-How did you do that, I mean… I’ve never seen a spell like that before!” She said, looking up at the cloaked figure, who was just floating on his side.

He gave a slight shrug. “Something only I can do, really… A plus from knowing shadow magic, the real shadow magic.” He said, looking down at her, Twilight could feel a serious look coming from behind the hood of his. “Not the stuff that Sombra uses… That is Shadow Magic completely, utterly, perverted with what is known as chaotic magic. Hence why it gives off that sick green aura. The real nature of Shadow Magic is to protect others, by defeating the enemy with something they can’t defend against, what they don’t expect… A power that can fight fire with fire. While… Also having a bit of mischievous fun, heh.”

Twilight tilted her head, wondering what he meant. “Um… How do you know the nature of Shadow Magic? I’ve read all the books, and no one knows its true nature… Everyone keep saying its evil.” Twilight asked, her curious side starting to come out.

The cloaked figure floated over, and sat down in front of her and placed both sleeved hands over his cloaked knees. “Easy, Twilight Sparkle… I created Shadow Magic.” He said, leaning forward, allowing Twilight to look into his hooded abyss. “And people assume that, because others pervert shadow magic… Using it for their own personal gains, which often end up hurting those who oppose them.” He answered, tilting his head. “Mmmm…. Princess Celestia knows the true nature of it, but I doubt she taught you, due to how easily one can be corrupted… If they stare too long into the dark abyss.”

Twilight went wide eyed, before giving a serious look at the cloaked figure. “And how am I to know, still, that you aren’t one of Sombra’s tricks?” She asked, before going any further with the conversation.

“Easy… You don’t know it’s him? Ones like that Sombra pony, have the biggest hubris I’ve ever seen. When they do something, they’d like all to know it was them…. Am I wrong?” He asked.

Twilight thought about it for a moment, before realizing he was right. She saw it with Nightmare Moon, Luna’s evil side, with Discord, and also with Chrysalis. “I…. Guess you have a point there…” She admitted, looking back into the abyss, before instantly remembering what he said and looked away.

“Um… Why did you look away?” He asked, tilting his hooded head.

“Because you said not to look to long into the abyss, remember?” Twilight answered.

“…. I didn’t mean my hood, Twilight Sparkle… I meant when you use the magic too much, allowing it to overtake your mind and soul, it’ll open you up to dangerous entities.” Mr. H explained, Twilight looking back and listening in to what he has to say. “It is the kind of magic you must learn to control, to moderate. If you don’t, boom… You’re done for, and you turn into ponies like Sombra.”

Twilight looked at the ground of her cell for a moment, thinking about what he said. “I… Guess that makes sense.” She thought about something suddenly, “Hey, wait, how did you know I needed help?” She asked, looking up at him.

That, made Mr. H suddenly recoil back a moment, and look up while rubbing the back of his hood. “Oh! That, uh… Well… Y-You see…” He had to think about it for a moment, like he was making up an excuse. “I was… Asked to help? By someone special, yeah...” He chuckled a bit, before reaching forward and patting the mare.

“Uh-huh…. By who?” Twilight asked, eyeing him.

“Not important…” Mr. H replied.

“Tell me…” She demanded.

“No….” He replied, becoming rather stubborn about it.

“Then how am I supposed to trust you?” She asked, smirking the moment she noticed that actually caught him off guard.

“Damnit…” He muttered, thinking about it for moment. “Let’s just say, we have a mutual friend, is all… And they were worried, and I hated seeing them so sad.” He admitted, leaning back some. “So! I came to watch over you, and possibly help you escape.”

Twilight’s ears perked up at the last part, “How can you help me escape?” She asked, curious now.

Mr. H’s cloak suddenly spun to where he could look at her, while lying on the ground. “Easy, teach you Shadow Magic, real shadow magic. With that, escaping this dungeon, from ones like Sombra, will be rather easy.” He answered.

Twilight thought about it for a moment, looking back and forth, then around her cell before eyeing the mysterious Mr. H. “And how might you go about that? Learning such magic would take a very long time, I assume.”

“Well… That is true, but you’ll have me here teaching you along the way. But, if things become rather dangerous for you… Rest assure, while I am limited on how much magic I can use… I’ll try to teleport you away.”

“Wait, if you can send me away, why not do it now?” She asked, tilting her head at the revelation.

“Easy, because I don’t have enough power to do so. Thought Altering, Nightmare Break, and Shadow Manipulations; are all basic abilities of a Shadow Magic User. It doesn’t take much to wield it. Shadow Teleporting, though? That takes a lot of concentration and magic.” He answered, Twilight thinking about it for a moment.

“I guess that does make sense… Since magic does always have a price.” She said, looking up at him, smiling. “When do we start?” She asked.

“Soon as you get enough rest.” Mr. H leaned in, eyeing her closely. “I’ll keep Sombra away long enough for you to do so, but he has to be able to do his normal routine every now and then, or else the spell will break and he’ll become immune to it.”

Twilight nodded, understanding what is being asked of her. “I understand… I’ll endure much as possible.”

Mr. H nodded at her answer. “Good… Now, get some rest, you’re going to need it.” He said, allowing Twilight to lay back down and go to sleep, using his shadows to keep her warm. Heh… She reminds me of Tia, somewhat. He thought.