• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 1,680 Views, 47 Comments

A Tale of Equestrian Proportions - DitzyDerpy1992



In this tale Robbie goes to visit a friend in Canada who says he has something to show him.

  • ...
8
 47
 1,680

Outfit Planning

Sunshine was beaming though my curtains as I awoke feeling less groggy and sore than yesterday but still a little drained of energy as I rolled out of bed and shuffled my way into the bathroom. I looked a state with bags under my eyes and my mane completely out of control. Sighing slightly I levitated the hairbrush through my mane and began to run a bath to, hopefully, ease my aching muscles and set me up for the day. I watched as the hot water slowly filled the tub and my mind drifted back to the night at the club. Robbie taking control of the DJ’s booth was quite an awesome thing to do and the mix he came up with really got mine and Berry’s hooves moving, even the resident DJ had seemed impressed. The club hadn’t been too crowded which was nice and everyone was friendly and I made a few new friends when I was waiting for drinks at the bar. Robbie’s plan to take my mind away from the portal gun had worked a treat and this was the first time I had thought about it since before the Horse and Hare.

I sighed heavily as I slipped into the warm water and allowed myself to relax completely, closing my eyes and my mind travelled back into the nightclub. I remembered buying a lot of drinks and dancing with somepony but I could not remember for the life of me who it was. I was curious to find out but Robbie had no recollection of that night and I didn’t really speak to Rainbow that much so I would be nervous about asking her. Letting out another sigh I was reminded of walking Berry to her house to pick up more alcohol after the club. It was a small apartment towards the centre of Ponyville about a five minute walk away from the Horse and Hare, where I imagined she spent a lot of time drinking. I was slightly shocked when I arrived home and we found Robbie and Rainbow curled up together on the sofa, giggling and exchanging jokes but when we made our arrival known Robbie had quickly jumped up and ordered a round of shots of Applejack Daniels. In my drunken state I did not refuse and we drank a few rounds then moved over onto the wine and punch which was extremely delicious. It was very fruity and didn’t leave a horrible after-taste like most wine back on earth. The only problem I had was that I drank it far too quickly and before long my head was spinning and I had to crawl my way up into my bedroom where Robbie and Berry helped me into my bed with some minor difficulties as they too were extremely intoxicated.

I hauled myself out of the tub and quickly dried myself and gave my teeth a brush. Heading downstairs it was quiet and nopony was up yet so I trotted through to the kitchen and switched on the radio. I was greeted by some quiet Lyre and Viola music which seemed like the perfect complement to the morning that was greeting me. It was early, earlier than I usually woke up anyway but then again I had gone to bed very early the night before but that just meant I had more of the day to enjoy. I needed to go and speak to Twilight to find out when she next needed me in. Not working for a few days had taken its toll and I was beginning to feel a little lazy but that would be solved with some hard work.

Taking a seat with an apple at the breakfast table, I began to plan my day out. We needed more food otherwise we were going to run out before long so some groceries would be a must for the day. Having a quick glance in my saddlebags to see how many bits I had left I discovered my coin satchel was still reasonably full considering the night out we had been on. I threw my apple core into the bin and put on my saddlebags to head out. It was still early but I figured if I got there early then there would be more selection at the market and it would be less busy. I made my way to the front door and unlocked it but upon opening the door I found I had accidentally startled a grey Pegasus wearing a hat with the emblem of the Ponyville Post Office upon it.

“Oh sorry Ditzy, I didn’t expect you to be here this early” I said slightly awkwardly offering her an apologetic smile but fortunately she didn’t seem too put off by the shock I had given her.

“It’s okay Matt, I just thought I’d pop around quickly to see you before I started my rounds because when you mentioned you wanted tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala the other night I remembered that I had a friend who was selling a couple of tickets. I put in a word for you and they’re being offered to you if you want them?” She gave me a genuine smile, looking pretty pleased with herself but I didn’t remember speaking to Ditzy about that. Could it have been after the nightclub we bumped into Ditzy and I mentioned it to her in the state I was in? That was probably what had happened but I did actually want to go but Robbie might not be so keen, after all he was a drinking party kind of guy, not a formal person at all.

“Sure that would be great! I just need to find out how much they are and I’ll buy them. Also what date is the gala on so I can get everything ready for then?” Ditzy looked thoughtful for a couple of moments and gave her chin a quick scratch with her hoof.

“I think he said he would sell them both for fifty bits or thirty bits if bought separately, but he’s a good friend so I could maybe push him down to forty for you” She gave me a quick wink and continued “The gala is actually next week so you’re lucky you even have a chance to get these at this short notice. I know loads of ponies that are dying to get their hooves on tickets.”

I was really grateful that Ditzy had gone to all this effort for us and I couldn’t help feeling that she was a better friend than I had gotten the impression of over dinner.

“Well tell him to hold those tickets for me and I’ll buy them even if you can’t get him down to forty bits, it will still be worth going.” I gave her a smile and she brightened up and said she would tell him when she saw him later that day on her rounds. I thanked her for her kindness and we parted ways at the end of the path, giving each other a wave and a smile she took off into the air and soared off towards her first stop.

I was now trotting towards Ponyville marketplace and it was a little busier than I expected but a lot quieter than it would be later that day. I wandered around and picked up the necessities first before moving onto things that we didn’t need but would want, remembering to stop at Sugarcube Corner to pick Robbie up some muffins. It was a glorious day to be out in the morning and I was enjoying the sun warming my coat and a slight breeze made sure I was kept at an almost perfect temperature. The market was starting to get busier as I made my final purchases and made my way out of the crowds towards the quiet part of town where the Library was located. It was a fairly long walk to the library so I took my time and enjoyed the sunshine that was beaming down on me. I became lost in my thoughts along the way and before long I was at the Library. The door creaked as I entered and looked for some sign of Twilight around but Spike was up a ladder locating some books for somepony so I could always ask him.

“Hey Spike, Twilight around at all?” I asked him cheerily as I walked past the centre table to where he was perched on the annoyingly unstable ladder.

“Yeah she’s here somewhere, I think she’s upstairs reading about legends of an ancient Equestrian Secret Society or something… I’ll fetch her in a moment for you” He replied before pulling a book from the shelf and wobbling precariously on the ladder and managing to regain his balance before he crashed to the ground. Slowly he climbed down and placed the book on the table and quickly jogged upstairs to find Twilight. After a brief wait she finally emerged from the top of the staircase and trotted her way down to greet me.

“Hey Matt you here to find out you’re days for next week?” She asked me, producing a well organised rota from out of thin air with a small puff of smoke and I took it from her and placed it into my saddlebag. “Those will be you’re permanent days from now on so the rota won’t change but it’s there just so you can remember” She added seeming quite pleased with her organisational skills.

“That’s great, thanks Twilight” I gave her a small smile and she offered me a drink and on a warm day like today I wasn’t going to turn down an offer like that. We sat down in her kitchen and she poured me a fresh glass of orange juice and laid it on the table in front of me where we both took a seat.

“So did you enjoy you’re night out with Rainbow and Berry the other night?” She asked seemingly knowledgeable about the situation.

“Yeah it was great actually! Had a really great time and made a lot of new friends, not to mention got extremely drunk.” I laughed slightly remembering the events that took place “Robbie got slightly more drunk than the rest of us though, he took over the DJ’s booth in the club for about ten minutes and made a mix up on the spot.”

Twilight let out a small giggle at the mental image that conjured up and we chatted about the night and I didn’t mention anything about Robbie and Rainbow because I didn’t know whether she knew about it or not. After a short period of time I decided I had better head back to the house and I said my farewells to Spike and Twilight and began to make my way back to the cottage. She had seemed a little bit awkward as we chatted, but it might of just been my imagination, or maybe she was just having a bit of a stressful day, but I decided not to think too much into it. Once again I decided to take my time and enjoy the sunshine. It was getting close to eleven, and Robbie would surely be up by now so I picked up the pace a little and quickly found myself back on our street.

I entered the house and was immediately greeted by laughter coming from the living room and I walked through to find Robbie tickling Rainbow relentlessly on the ground with Rainbow almost crying with laughter.

“Don’t mind me guys, just making this slightly awkward.” I teased slightly as I walked past into the kitchen. Robbie quickly stopped what he was doing, looking a little bit embarrassed and Rainbow quickly took the opportunity to get some revenge by inflicting the same torture upon him. Robbie was rolling on the floor almost begging Rainbow to stop as I put the groceries away.

“You did this to me for ages so prepare for the worst time of your life!” I heard Rainbow proclaim from the other room. She wasn’t one for losing so Robbie was in for it now. Sighing I grabbed an apple and called Robbie through for a second.

“Hey man got some news for you” I said giving him a small smile which he returned with a slightly worried glance “We’re going to the Grand Galloping Gala next week in Canterlot.” His face lightened up a little and he sighed.

“Awesome but you realise we have nothing to wear right?” He replied casually.

“I’m sure my friend Rarity could put something together for you. She’s a great designer” Rainbow chimed in from the doorway.

“Do you have kilts here in Ponyville at all?” Robbie asked Rainbow “I’d like to wear something that shows off my heritage”

“Kilts? Never heard of one of those before, but Rarity is the fashion expert so you would probably be better asking her that question” Rainbow made her way to the table and took a seat and Robbie joined us after a moment of silence.

“I think I’ll just wear a tux, it’s formal but in no way out of the ordinary” I said thinking about what Rarity would probably put together if I asked for a tux and it would probably involve a lot of gems so I would have to ask for something plain.

“If you want we can take a fly” Rainbow quickly remembered that I was a unicorn and corrected herself “Well… walk over if you like?”

“Sure let’s do it!” Robbie chimed in rising to his hooves and making his way over to the door. Rainbow and I closely followed him and once again I stepped outside into the sunny street and began walking towards the centre of town. Robbie and I walked at a casual pace while Rainbow flew alongside us keeping her pace slow even though we could tell she just wanted to take off and fly to Carousel Boutique as quickly as she could. But even with the relaxed pace we arrived at our destination after around fifteen minutes of walking and Rainbow was the first to enter the shop and was followed rather awkwardly by Robbie and I. Rainbow told us to wait in the shop and she darted into the back to see if she could find Rarity and before long Rainbow returned with a fashionable looking white Unicorn in tow. She was just a little shorter than Robbie and I and her purple mane was styled to perfection.

“Hello and welcome to Carousel Boutique, my name is Rarity what can I do for you two gentlecolts today?” Rarity asked us in a well-spoken and polite manner.

“Nice to meet you Rarity I'm Matt, and this is Robbie. I’m just looking for a simple tux for the Gala in Canterlot next week” I replied while looking around at all of the shining dresses and smart men’s jackets that decorated the shop walls.

“And I would like to know if you have ever heard of a kilt?” Robbie asked obviously a bit worried that nopony would know what he was talking about but fortunately Rarity knew of kilts.

“I haven’t heard of anypony wearing a kilt in Equestria for over 200 years, most ponies from outside the Neighdinburgh area don’t even know about their existence but I’m sure I could put one together for a handsome colt like yourself.” Robbie smiled a little uncomfortably at the last comment made by Rarity and he shot a nervous look at Rainbow but she had her eyes fixed on Rarity in some sort of malicious glare.

“And as for a tux” Rarity continued turning to face me “I will need to take your measurements and I can have one made for you in the next few days but shall we get on with the measurements for now?” She asked magically floating a measuring tape from a drawer on a nearby dressing table. She started with Robbie noting down every measurement on a small notepad that floated beside her. He was looking slightly nervous and I probably had a face to match when she started taking my measurements but soon the ordeal was over and we could relax again but Rainbow had moved closer to Robbie now as if she was worried that Rarity was trying to make a move.

“Now,” Said Rarity sounding much like a teacher about to lecture a class “We need to talk colours, Matt you’re tux will obviously just be a simple black and white tux as requested, and Robbie, kilts are normally tartan if I am correct?”

“You are correct, and I would like it in my family tartan if you could manage that? I’ll describe the design to you and see if we can get it right” Robbie answered obviously knowing what he was talking about now.

“And as for the shirt and jacket to match, would you like a button up shirt or one you can just slide on over your wings?” Robbie looked thoughtful at that question for a moment.

“Just one that can slide over will be fine and probably a lot easier for me to put on” Robbie answered confident in his decision and I knew he was probably right. Buttons had to be difficult to use when you didn’t have fingers or magic.

“Right well I think that’s all I need apart from the tartan design, Robbie could you come here while I sketch and you can tell me if it’s correct?” Robbie nodded and trotted over to her dressing table where he gave her a detailed description of his family tartan and he seemed pleased with the first sketch that Rarity had produced. She was indeed a talented designer if she could nail a complex design like that straight off the bat.

It didn’t take long for Rarity to get to work and we were all shoo’d from her shop while she began the rough drawings and prototypes. She seemed excited to be making a kilt and Robbie was pleased she had heard of one so we all happily chatted on the way back to the cottage while making a stop in the park to relax for a while. Rainbow of course wanted to stretch her wings and Robbie and I sat and watched her perform all sorts of aerial manoeuvres which should have surely granted her a place with The Wonderbolts. Robbie and I chatted while watching the spectacular feats she managed to achieve while remaining composed and professional looking. She finished showing off her moves in the most stylish way possible by flying up high into the clouds until we could barely make out her figure against the light blue sky and she dived down at a spectacular speed. She pulled out of her dive about one hundred and fifty feet from the ground with an ear-splitting boom followed by a ring of spectacular colours from all ends of the light spectrum causing many gasps and rounds of applause from ponies that had stopped to watch this intense display of aerobatic abilities. She landed nearby and trotted over looking very pleased with herself and she sat down beside Robbie and rested her head on his shoulder. All we could talk about was that amazing show and we could tell Rainbow was enjoying the attention but she wasn’t being her usual cocky self about it.

After chatting in the park for what seemed like hours the sun started to dip behind the clouds and I decided I would go home and make some dinner for Robbie and I. Rainbow said that she was going home for the night and Robbie said he would like to watch the sunset for a while longer. I bid farewell to Rainbow and told Robbie I would see him back at the cottage whenever he was back. As I began to walk away I noticed Rainbow move closer and Robbie wrapped a foreleg around her. I hadn’t taken Robbie as a romantic when I had first met him but it seemed he had a soft spot after all.

The walk to the cottage was brief and when I arrived home I dove straight into the fridge and started rummaging for something to eat. I was no chef but I knew I could prepare myself something to get me by so I decided to make something simple and made myself a small salad to eat while I listened to the radio. Robbie arrived home shortly afterwards and tucked into a muffin and we discussed the Gala and our day’s events over the course of dinner. He seemed to really like Rainbow and she was definitely taking a shine to him.

“So is she you’re very special somepony?” I teased him slightly over the table and gave him a wink which made him look away and turn a light shade of crimson.

“Well we haven’t exactly spoken about that yet, we’ve just been letting what’s happened happen, you know.” He said still not making eye contact to avoid further embarrassment.

“It looks to me like you might have a marefriend” I gave him a sly smile across the table and he blushed even more before taking a bite of his muffin and setting it back down on his plate.

“Well I found out something interesting about you today” He said returning the smile I had given him “Do you remember dancing with a certain mare at the nightclub?” He asked with his smile getting wider and I did not like where this was probably heading.

“I remember dancing with somepony, but I can’t remember who or for how long” I replied trying to stay calm but I had to admit my heart was pounding in my chest. Who had it been? Surely he’s bluffing just trying to get a reaction out of me but from the look on his face I wasn’t sure.

“What if I told you” He said calmly taking a bite of his muffin “That you got extremely drunk and danced with your boss?” He continued through a mouthful of half chewed muffin. My heart skipped a beat as his words sunk in.

“With… Twilight? I danced… with.. Twilight?” I managed to say but I could add nothing else. I had either made my work life very awkward or things would be fine and she would understand that I was drunk.

“You went to her Library at around eleven and made her come out for some drinks and dancing” He said slowly across the table to guarantee maximum impact through his words “How do you feel now Mr Joker?” I was shocked. I couldn’t believe that I had gone to my bosses’ house at eleven pm and probably woken her up to make her come and dance with me for a while. I had probably made my work life very awkward or maybe she would just think that I was drunk and acting stupid. But the latter was a preferred option of the two.

Robbie sat across the table looking smug with himself for a while before finishing his muffin and trotted merrily through to the living room. I just sat at the table with a mixture of disbelief and embarrassment running through my veins. I thought she had seemed to know quite a bit about our night out but I didn’t twig that maybe she had come out at some point. Why didn’t she mention it? Maybe she likes me, but how would I find that out? I was so confused at this point I broke out what was left of the wine from after the clubs and poured myself a glass. Robbie had obviously heard a glass bottle being produced and shouted through to me to ask for a glass of his whiskey. I poured the two glasses and made my way through to the sitting room where I placed the whiskey beside Robbie and I sat in my usual place in the armchair with my wine. We discussed what we remembered of the night and Robbie admitted that he only knew it was Twilight because Rainbow had told him so earlier that day.

After a while of discussing my situation with Robbie, and him giving me some sound advice to speak to Twilight about what had happened rather than just ignore the situation I decided I was going to hit the hay. Saying goodnight to Robbie I trotted upstairs and jumped into my bed and curled up under the sheets and deciding that tomorrow I would talk to Twilight about what had happened and see what she said from there. I began to feel my eyes droop and soon sleep took me into its warm embrace.