• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 1,680 Views, 47 Comments

A Tale of Equestrian Proportions - DitzyDerpy1992



In this tale Robbie goes to visit a friend in Canada who says he has something to show him.

  • ...
8
 47
 1,680

The Grand Galloping Gala

The carriage was filled with excited voices as we made our way towards Canterlot Palace, and I was beginning to feel very nervous. Princess Celestia would surely be greeting everypony at the entrance to the Great Hall, and meeting Canterlot Royalty was making me feel a little squeamish. Twilight gave my hoof a small squeeze; my nervous look must have been more obvious than I thought. I smiled at her and she gave me a reassuring smile back before my eyes wandered and I found my eyes focusing on the Palace which was now within throwing distance. It looked beautiful, fully illuminated against the night sky and fireworks began to shower the starry night with beautiful colours as everyone exited the carriage. I gazed upon the Palace, stunned by its size and beauty. The main doorway was almost daunting in size as we approached, after showing two royal guards our tickets.

Upon making our way into the entrance hall the size of the palace made itself known as the ceiling was as high as the hotel we were staying in. White pillars rose up from the floor to the ceiling that were as thick as trees, decorated with banners of royal red and gold. Massive paintings occupied the walls, the face of Celestia on one, with Luna on the opposite. The others were all scenery of Canterlot and the surrounding countryside. A large stained glass window took up most of the wall above a grand staircase where Princess Celestia stood at the top, greeting the guests who then made their way to the right into where I presumed the Grand Hall was. A grand red carpet was laid from the front door, to the top of the stairs where Celestia stood and it was indeed a very formal occasion.

Robbie looked slightly underdressed and was attracting a lot of attention for what he was wearing, but Rainbow stood proudly by his side, smiling and greeting the ponies that looked her way. Walking slowly through the hall we eventually joined the queue of ponies waiting to be greeted by Celestia and the nerves once again began to well up inside me. Twilight stood by me obviously excited to see her mentor again and the casual way she spoke of the Princess slightly calmed my nerves. Robbie was looking just as nervous as I was, he and Rainbow had stood ahead of us in the line on ponies he was definitely attracting a lot of attention from the other guests now. I could overhear the few ponies behind me exchanging whispers, commenting on the odd apparel, and I was certain Robbie could hear too, but if he could, he was definitely not letting it get to him. The line quickly shortened in front of us and soon Robbie and Rainbow were next in line, to be followed by Twilight and I.

“Good evening Rainbowdash.” The Princess addressed her in a formal fashion and both Robbie and Rainbow bowed in almost perfect synchronisation.

“Good evening Princess” Rainbow replied while rising out of her bow. I noticed the Princesses eyes fall on Robbie who was looking rather awkward at this point.

“And good evening…” Celestia trailed off now addressing Robbie.

“My name is Robbie, your Highness.” He replied in a slightly shaky voice while bowing his head slightly.

“Well Robbie, interesting choice in attire for tonight, I don’t think I have seen anypony wear a kilt to the Grand Galloping Gala in almost two centuries now.” She said not in the bit put off by his choice in clothing, but then again she had been there the last time one was worn so it wasn’t really a surprise.

“Thank you, your Highness, I feel proud of that fact” He was sounding rather awkward so Rainbow quickly excused the two of them and they made their way into the Grand Hall where I could hear music playing, and a lot of ponies talking. Twilight and I were next and I felt a lump beginning to form in my throat as we stepped forward.

“Ah Twilight, it’s good to see you again, my pupil.” The Princess said now addressing her student who had almost bound up the stairs in excitement.

“Hello Princess, I would like to introduce you to Matt, my date for tonight.” She said holding out a hoof slightly to make my attendance known.

“Hello Matt, it’s nice to see Twilight has good taste in colts anyway, you chose a handsome one Twilight” I blushed slightly at this and proceeded to bow at the princess addressing me.

“Thank you, your Highness, it is an honour to be here with the Princesses star pupil” I gave Twilight a smile and she returned it timidly before having a small chat with the Princess, and then we departed into the Great Hall. Octavia’s quartet was set up on the stage, playing some very calming music. The hall was larger in size than the entrance hall with a taller ceiling and a large crystal chandelier hanging from the centre. Pillars stretched from the doorway we had just entered from all the way to the other end of the hall where the stage was set up, and a great stained glass window occupied most of the back wall, with doorways on either side leading to a balcony area. Many ponies were already in attendance as Twilight and I slowly shuffled our way through the crowds to find Robbie and Rainbow, and we didn’t have to look for long until we spotted the only pony in a kilt standing at the temporary bar that had been set up for the night. The drinks were all complimentary, which could spell disaster for Robbie, who was very fond of alcohol, but I would have to try and get Rainbow to keep him from embarrassing himself once more. We made our way over, greeting a couple of ponies on the way, and eventually I came to stand beside Robbie at the bar. He had ordered a whiskey, no surprise there, and a rainbow coloured cocktail which I presumed was for Rainbow, unless he was also a fan of cocktails.

“Twilight, what would you like” I asked turning to the unicorn that was engaged in a conversation with a red earth pony, also wearing a tux.

“Just get me a glass of punch please” She answered politely before turning to continue her conversation. I ordered her punch and decided to get myself a glass of wine rather than beer.

“So what do you make of this so far?” Robbie asked from my side while his eyes explored every corner of the room.

“It’s incredible, like nothing I have ever seen before.” I replied with my eyes beginning to scan the room and admire its beauty. Banners of multiple colours were draped from the pillars, and in one corner of the room stood a statue of Celestia with a matching Luna placed in the opposite corner for symmetry. Twilight soon broke off the conversation with the pony she was talking to and she trotted over merrily and took a drink.

“So what would you like to do Matt?” Twilight asked me and I thought about that for a moment before realising I had no idea what there was to do.

“Well what would you like to do,” I asked back with a smile “It’s your night as much as mine” Twilight returned the smile at the last comment and I was quickly pulled over to the dance floor where we began to, rather awkwardly, dance. I had no idea how to waltz back on earth, never mind with four hooves to get in each other’s way. Twilight was perfectly patient with me and she seemed to take the lead as we rotated in slow circles, matching the rhythm of the music. Other ponies were dancing to, not many though and Robbie and Rainbow had joined us. Robbie was looking just as confused as I was with trying to dance but Rainbow had him covered and was whispering instructions into his ears. As the song wound down I thanked Twilight for the dance, and for her being as patient with a terrible dancer, such as myself, and we departed back to the bar. I took a sip of the fruity glass of wine and Twilight tried to teach me some simple dances, but it would probably have been easier to do with some practice.

After we finished our drinks, we took a small walk around the hall, and met a few ponies here and there, having a small chat with the Princess again before making our way over to where Fluttershy and Applejack sat. I excused myself to fetch another couple of drinks for Twilight and I, and as expected, Robbie stood at the bar awaiting drinks.

“Back at the bar already? I thought you would be taking it easy tonight.” I mocked slightly as I joined him and he laughed a little. .

“Well Rainbow’s over there talking to Spitfire and Soarin, so I saw this as a perfect opportunity to get myself some refreshment.” He retorted while picking up the fresh whiskey that had been laid down in front of him “You’ve got some impressive moves on the dance floor anyway” he continued with a slight joking tone about his voice.

“Yeah well Twilight was leading, so my skills were bound to be hindered slightly,” We both let out a laugh at this “Anyway I believe I saw you receiving instructions while you were dancing, I didn’t think you were that bad.” We both laughed as Rainbow joined us with an almost giddy look in her eyes.

“Having fun?” Robbie asked her before giving her a peck on the cheek.

“Yeah, it’s great. Man, I swear those two get more awesome every time I meet them.” She took a sip of her cocktail and before long Robbie was being swept away to meet them, and it was about time I returned to Twilight with the drinks. I meandered my way through the crowds to the table where Fluttershy, Applejack and her were sitting, and I overheard the conversation come to a quick end with Twilight saying “shh” a lot and looking slightly embarrassed.

“Hope you weren’t saying anything bad about me” I said teasingly as I placed the punch down beside Twilight and took a seat.

“Nothing bad at all” Twilight said with her cheeks starting to glow crimson slightly. The room was now buzzing with ponies talking, and the music was beginning to get a little faster and more energetic as more ponies took to the dance floor. Princess Celestia was wandering around the room, as a good hostess does, speaking to everyone in turn and making sure that everything was alright. The night seemed like it was going to be a blast and it was still early, so we had plenty of partying left to do. I found myself wondering if Luna would be making an appearance because she hardly ever seemed to show her face at public events.

“Hey Twili!” A voice sounded out from behind me which made my stomach curl into a knot. I slowly turned and watched Shining Armour trot over to our table and Twilight greeted him, “I was hoping I’d get the chance to see you while you were in Canterlot, how are you?”

“I’m great thanks, yourself?” She asked after giving him a quick hug. I tucked further into my drink and prepared for the inevitable first member of her family met. They chatted away for a few moments and I thought I might get away without meeting her big brother for a while yet.

“Well actually I’m here with Matt tonight, he’s, well, kind of my date for tonight” Well there went my plan for lying low. I rose to my hooves and decided to make the first move and introduce myself.

“Hey there, I’m Matt” I said rather daunted at the stallion’s size. He towered over almost everyone at the Gala and I had to say he was slightly intimidating. I held out my hoof towards him and he gave me a quick glance up and down, before bumping my hoof with his.

“I’m Shining Armour, Twilights big brother. Jeez Twilight if I had known you were here with a date I would have brought mom and dad along to embarrass you too.” He chuckled slightly, and I let out a small laugh as well. Twilight, however, began to turn slightly red again and Shining Armour joined our small table to socialise, and I was praying at this point that Robbie would show up soon.

“So, Matt, how did you meet my lil’ sis here?” Shining asked me across the table and I took a long sip of wine before answering.

“I actually inquired about work at the Library, and fortunately she had a job position going, so we work together now.” I took another sip of wine. Where the hell was Robbie? This was so awkward. Twilight obviously sensing this chose that moment to ask me for another drink. I was more than happy to oblige as my glass was running low. I meandered my way through the crowd once again, and found the bar was reasonably crowded. I was more than happy to wait for the drinks though as I once again scanned the room for any sign of a kilt, but saw none. A little dismayed that Robbie had disappeared, I turned to order the drinks. I chose a whiskey this time because I was going to need something a little stronger to cope with the situation back at the table. I sighed and began to make my way back with the drinks, and to my delight Robbie and Rainbow had joined the group.

“Aw you got me a drink, you shouldn’t have” Robbie said in a mocking voice obviously seeing that I had a whiskey levitating beside me. I took a sip of it and gave him a smile before giving Twilight her punch. Robbie then trotted over to stand close to me.

“So was it awkward meeting a family member?” He whispered to me, careful not to be overheard, but in the hustle of the crowded room I doubt anyone would hear him.

“More than you could possibly imagine, it’s not just the fact that he’s her big brother, it’s also the fact that he is captain of the Royal Guard. He’s scary” I replied taking a look in Shining’s direction. Robbie risked a glance too and saw him laughing away with Twilight.

“Yeah he looks real scary” Robbie slightly joked and I shot him a defensive look. He wasn’t the one dating his little sister. I pushed the thought out of my mind for the time being, and proceeded to drink my whiskey at an accelerated pace. Robbie warned me to go easy on the whiskey because apparently “My Canadian system wouldn’t be able to keep up with his Scottish resistance to it”. I was slightly amused by this comment and we had a good laugh. Robbie and I moved on to discuss the quartet on stage and how the songs they were playing were brilliant.

“If I was a better dancer I would have dragged Rainbow to the dance floor a long time ago” Robbie commented while having a small chuckle, and Rainbow had obviously overheard his comment and proceeded to drag Robbie up to dance. “Here comes the carnage” he shouted back to me as he was pulled by a hoof through the crowds. I laughed before turning back to the group. Robbie was still getting some awkward stares from ponies for wearing a kilt, but most weren’t even bothered by it anymore. I took another sip of my whiskey and looked around the room. Celestia had now made her way around a lot of the ponies who were having a blast by the looks of things, and was slowly but surely, making her way towards us. As much as I tried to avoid talking to Shining, the thought dawned on me that I probably wasn’t making the best first impression, so I took a seat beside Twilight once more and joined in with the conversation.

Some time passed and as it turns out, Shining was not the type of big brother that I had originally imagined, he knew Twilight could take care of herself and I no longer found him as intimidating. His stature was still a little off-putting, but I was now a lot more relaxed. He seemed to pick up on this and we began to talk a lot more freely, but it wasn’t long before he had to leave and attend to his duties. I turned to face Twilight and she reached her hoof towards me. I sheepishly took it and she led me once again to the dance floor. The songs were a lot faster paced now, and I had to admire the skill it took to be able to play the cello, or even the piano with hooves.

Twilight was really getting into the music, shaking her head to the rhythm and pulling me around the floor while I timidly tried to dance along. She didn’t seem to mind my horrible dancing, and Robbie wasn’t having much more success with learning, but we were having a great time anyway. Before long, with the ecstatic dancing from Twilight, I was in need of a drink and I made my way to the bar. Robbie had also had the same idea and was standing with a whiskey on ice. Twilight and Rainbow had been joined by Rarity and Applejack so they would be dancing for a while still. I decided on something a little more refreshing than whiskey this time, so I settled down with a wheat beer and started up a conversation with Robbie. We happily chatted away for around ten minutes, and before long we were taking stabs at each other for our terrible dancing, but it was all in good humour. Robbie’s train of thought was however, interrupted by a dark Alicorn appearing at the bar to the left of the two ponies to our left. She wore a fine gown, decorated in moons and stars, with matching shoes and a small moon on her head.

The two ponies, who obviously had not come to terms with the fact that she was no longer Nightmare Moon, moved away from her and towards us, but upon seeing Robbie in his kilt, they turned their noses up and left. Obviously too proud to be in the company of someone who was dressed a little differently, Robbie took this upon himself to make a snide comment.

“Aye, too proud tae be seen near a colt in a kilt ya numpties.” He said putting on his strongest Scottish accent and the two colts let out a rather dignified “Hmmf” before mingling with the nearby crowds. He turned and winked at me, I had to give it to him, that was rather funny. The Princess of the Night seemed to think so too as she let out a small giggle and introduced herself. Robbie and I bowed low to the Princess who immediately told us to not bother with the formalities of meeting a royal. We quickly obliged and relaxed, it was nice to meet somepony of the upper class who did not care for the whole “stand at attention” act.

“So where, pray tell, did you get such an attitude?” She asked Robbie, who I could see was secretly ecstatic to be speaking to Princess Luna.

“Well, when you grow up around the people I did, you learn to have a laugh at everything, even though it may not exactly be funny.” He replied with a slight tone of amusement in his voice. Luna, Robbie and I continued to chat, and eventually Twilight and Rainbow made their way from the dance floor to where we were standing. They both immediately joined in our conversation and we began to order round, after round of drinks. Admittedly I was feeling slightly drunk by this point and I decided to take it easy for the next little while.

Before long though, the Princess had to move on and mingle. She gave a slight exasperated sigh at the thought before she put on her socialising face and trotted off to chat to some nearby ponies. The night was going well and it was still only around ten, so I invited Twilight to dance once more and she smiled and accepted. I said that I would see Robbie later and he gave me a nod before returning to his drink. Twilight and I began to dance and the night just got better and better. Nothing could ruin this for me, and I planned on enjoying the company of the amazing mare I was dancing with for as long as possible. My mind was entirely focused on Twilight now, she moved so gracefully and every one of her movements seemed significant. I was almost stunned to the point of simply watching her dance, but the rhythm of the music kept my hooves moving, as if on autopilot.

The night was drawing later and Twilight and I had adjourned ourselves to the table where her friends sat, and we proceeded to converse over the events of the evening. Then I noticed something odd happening beside the door, behind where Pinkie Pie was rambling on about some piece of the evening that had gone extremely well. Princess Luna, Celestia and Shining Armour were all gathered around a guard with slightly stern expressions plastered on their faces. I gave Twilight a quick nudge and quickly pointed out what was happening, and she expressed some concern as to why they all looked so serious. The next move they made was even more unexpected as they all, quietly, left the Gala un-noticed by anyone. Word spread around the table quickly, and concerned expressions began to emerge everywhere as the odd nature of what we had just witnessed set in. Robbie and Rainbow had joined us once again, and we informed them of the brief moment we had noticed, they both shared some concern with the situation. It was weird that not five minutes ago, we had all been dancing, socializing and just having a great time and now the atmosphere in the room had changed to one of tension and unrest, which was all explained a moment later, when all hell broke loose.

Loud crashes echoed through the hall, accompanied by bright flashes of green as gaping holes were punched through the grand ceiling. The hall was immediately filled with the shocked gasps and screams of startled ponies, who began to flee the chaos that was raining down before their eyes. Robbie’s expression quickly hardened as he moved to the front of Rainbow to protect her from any projectiles that might head in her direction. I quickly made the same move to defend Twilight but immediately our hardened demeanour shifted as, out of the craters now formed in the ruined floor, emerged changeling drones, only a few to begin with, but surely more began to crawl their way through the ceiling. The shock of the moment began to set in, but I didn’t let the fear coursing through my veins paralyze me. That was until a few larger, flying silhouettes came into view, and the image of several large Griffons made themselves known.

“Citizens of Equestria” The largest of the griffons announced in a booming voice, “We have formed an alliance to tear apart your disgusting, peaceful society. The strongest will reign supreme, and anyone who stands in our way, will be removed from the picture. Do you understand?” He looked around the room at the cowering ponies that remained and his eyes landed on our table where we stood as firm as ever. The room was suddenly beginning to fill with armoured royal guards bearing spears, and a sickening clash sounded out in the depths of the hall as sporadic war broke out. I quickly grabbed Twilight and began to pull her away from the fray that was spreading around the hall. I frantically looked around to find everypony else, most had gathered by the door ready to leave but Robbie was galloping around in a panic screaming Rainbow’s name. Then all of a sudden he made a dash forward, planting his head firmly into the side of a changeling’s ribs, causing it to fall to the side, before he grabbed a cyan hoof and pulled Rainbow from a small crater before pulling her towards the door. Robbie was fast approaching the door, so the group immediately took off at full gallop to escape the ensuing horror of the assault on the palace.

Outside was a horrific sight which none of us had been expecting. The buildings of Canterlot were beginning to crumble, one by one they fell, and I felt almost helpless against such a destructive force. We didn’t have the time to hang around though. We had to get out of there and find some form of safety.