• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 1,423 Views, 37 Comments

My Adventures With Rainbow Dash - FireFlash13231



Fireflash and Rainbow Dash have flashbacks to how they met and grew up together.

  • ...
1
 37
 1,423

Chapter 4: The Apples (Part 1)

We wandered the streets, and though it was the middle of the day, nopony was outside enjoying the sunshine. As we explored the town, I saw an apple orchard. I was still hungry, so I flew over to the nearest tree. Not seeing any juicy apples, I flew around some more, looking for a good one.

Rainbow walked over to me, a smirk on her face. "Still hungry?"

"Well duh!" I retorted while flying around the orchard. "Except for that muffin, I haven't eaten in two days!"

Spotting a promising tree, I zipped over, a flame-colored trail tailing behind me. I spotted a red, juicy-looking apple and picked it, drooling in anticipation. I flew back over to Rainbow and took a bite.

"Mmf! Thith ith delithuth!" I exclaimed through my mouthful of apple.

Out of nowhere, a little orange filly shot past Rainbow at tremendous speed, tackling me sideways.

"You no-good apple-theivin' varmint!" a voice yelled. I couldn't see her face, but she was tough. I was getting pummeled, and a dust cloud had formed around the scuffle.

Over the sound of Rainbow's snickering, and the little orange filly punching me, I hear another voice. "Applejack, lay ahf the poah foal!"

The filly stopped punching me for a moment, but I didn't take my hooves away from my head in case she turned her attention back to me.

"But Granny Smith-"

"Don't you 'but Granny' me! Yer gonna hurt 'im if'n you keep poundin' on 'im like so!"

They turned to me. I lay on the ground, hooves over my head. My blue coat and flame-colored mane were now a dusty mess.

An old green pony walked slowly over to the three of us. "Ah haven't seen you youngn's around here before."

The orange filly named Applejack interrupted. "You colorful ponies look funny!"

"Now Applejack, be nahce." the old green pony said. "So wheah ah you two from?"

"Well, we lived in Cloudsdale..." I said.

"Whaddaya mean, lived?" Your cutie marks are both lahtnin' bolts, couldn't y'all just fly back on up?"

I turned and looked at my cutie mark, a combination of my parents' marks. The black lightning bolt from my mother, and the flames from my father. A flaming black lightning bolt to remind me of them forever...

I turned back around and sighed. "We both lost our parents on the same night...hers were killed accidentaly by the Shadowbolts, and mine were probably captured by the Shadowbolts. We came here to start over, as we have no parents, and no homes to return to, as we're both very lost."

"Well, y'all are welcome to stay here with the Apple family for as long as y'all need tah, ye hear? Yer gonna make some good friends heah in Ponyville, let me assure you. Now let's all go over to the barn and get some proper introductions done."

The four of us trotted over to the barn, and when we went inside I took a mouthful of hay from the corner, and started munching it happily.

"Ah'm Granny Smith-"

"An ah'm Applejack!"

Rainbow snorted and I coughed through my mouthful of hay. I could tell that the orange filly must be quite a handful.

"Now as ah was sayin', ah'm Granny Smith, this here's Applejack, and Big Macintosh is out workin' in the fields."

"Ah still think you colorful ponies look real funny!" Applejack said. "What're y'all's names? Ah've never seen you two here at Sweet Apple Acres befoah!"

"I'm FireFlash, and this is Rainbow Dash. We're from Cloudsdale originally, but since we lost our parents, we've decided to start over in Ponyville together."

"That's a mighty sad story. Yer gonna have to explain it to me in detain when y'all feel ready, ah might be able tah help y'all feel better." Granny Smith said. "Yer free to stay here at Sweet Apple Acres for a while."

"Thank you." I said, lowering my head appreciatively. "We'll help earn our stay by doing odd jobs around the farm that flying would make much easier.

"Thank you kindly, FireFlash and Rainbow...erm..."

"Dash."

"Right. Miss Rainbow Dash. Could you two please go an' find Big Macintosh fah me? It's almost dinnertime."

"All right, I'm on it." I trotted out the door, took off, and soared into the fields, leaving Granny Smith, Applejack, and Rainbow to plan dinner.

As I soared through the sky, i gave me time to think. A lot of time. And what could possibly be on my mind other than the filly I met? Rainbow Dash...the name had a pretty ring to it. It matched her well...she flew fast...and she was cute when she flew-

*THUD*

Snapped out of my trance, I looked around for the source of the sound.

I saw a large red pony, and flew over to him. He was kicking the apple trees and knocking the apples into baskets.

"Are you Big Macintosh?" I asked, surprised at his immense strength.

"Eeyup." He replied, picking up the baskets and carrying them on his back.

"Well, uh, Granny Smith wanted me to tell you that dinnertime is soon."

Big Macintosh hefted the buckets of apples onto his back and trotted off towards the barn, and I flew alongside him. I tried multiple times to strike up a conversation, but I soon realized that he was the silent type and stopped trying.

When we arrived at the barn, there was tomato soup, fresh bread, and apple pie for dessert.

"This looks delicious!" I said, mouth watering at the smell. "I can't wait to eat!"

"Eeyup." Big Macintosh agreed

"Is that all you ever say?" I said, turning to look at him.

"Nnope."

"Ughhhh..." I facehoofed, though I probably should have seen it coming.

Rainbow collapsed to the floor in laughter, rolling around with her hooves shaking. She was trying desperately to control herself, and having little success.

"What? It wasn't that funny...was it?"

Rainbow stood up, eyes watering. "Eeyep!" She managed to say, before losing it again. This time Applejack started laughing too.

"Laugh at me if you will." I said, annoyed. "But can we please at least eat first? I'm starving!"

"Eeyep! Let's eat!" Rainbow choked out, still laughing hysterically.

"It's not that funny." I said, facehoofing again.

"Okay, fine. Let's eat!"

"Chow time, everypony!" Granny smith called.

Rainbow and I trotted over to the table, eager to get started. "Ohhhhh, this looks delicious." I reapeated. "I can't wait to eat it! I started immediately on the food, tearing off a chunk of bread, dipping it in my soup, and devouring it.

Rainbow looked at me questioningly. "Why aren't you waiting?"

I looked up from my food momentarily. "What? When I said I couldn't wait, I meant it!" I went back to enjoying the food, eating happily.

"Yeh sure are hungry!" Applejack said.

I rolled my eyes. "I haven't eaten in two days." I replied, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "I wonder why I'm hungry." I went back to my food.

When I finished, I was still quite hungry, so I asked for more. "Granny Smith, could I please have some more soup?"

"Of course!"

Granny Smith brought me another bowl of soup. By the time I had finished, so had everypony else.

"You two already told us that you both lost your parents, but ah'm still a bit confused. Could ya fill in the details a bit?" Granny Smith asked.

I began to recount the events that Rainbow and I had been through, and it was hard to keep myself from crying again. When I finished, I couldn't hold it in any longer. I burst into tears, and buried my head in Rainbow's shoulder. She put her wing around me, a soft look in her eyes.

"Now, now, mah little ponies." Granny Smith comforted. "Bic Mac, Applejack and ah will take good care of ya."

"Yeah!" Applejack said. "We're gonna be great friends someday!

"Eeyup."

"Thank you, all of you." I said, wiping away my tears. "We really appreciate what you're doing for us."

I stifled a yawn with my hoof.

"Well, it looks like we'd better be going if we're going to find somewhere to sleep." Rainbow decided.

"You two do't have to leave, ah'm sure that ah can find you two somewhere to sleed."

"Thank you again everything that you're doing for us. I really appreciate it. You all can get the sleeping arrangements set up. I'm going to fly around, I haven't been in the air that much recently." I said, stretching my wings.

"All right, I'll come and find you once everything's been set up." Rainbow replied.

I took off and soared out the barn door. I was alone once again, and my thoughts immediately began to wander again.

It was hard for me to believe; I was only seven years old, yet I was an orphan, and would probably never see my parents again. Rage against the Shadowbolts flared up inside of me.

I flew over to the nearest tree and bucked it with my hind legs as hard as I could. A bunch of apples fell out of the tree, pattering as they landed on the ground around me. The sound was...calming, somehow.

It cooled my anger, and I walked over to another tree and punched it with my front right hoof. A single apple fell from the tree, and I caught it. It looked ripe and juicy, but for some reason I could not bring myself to eat it. Instead I just held it in my hoof, gazing at it, my mind full of unanswered questions.

Why did the Shadowbolts want my daddy? are my mommy and daddy alive? And more pressing at the moment, do I love Rainbow Dash? I wasn't sure if I had a crush on the cute, rough'n'tumble filly, but something about her...drew me. I hoped that she would at least be my best friend.

"You gonna eat that?"

I nearly jumped a mile, my wings carring me into the air reflexively. I whipped around to see Rainbow Dash, who was now munching on the apple I had been holding seconds before.

"What?" She asked in between bites of apple. "Why are you staring at me like that? You weren't eating it..."

I sighed. "Rainbow Dash, you amaze me." In more ways than one... I thought to myself.

"Bed locations for you have been set up. You going?" she asked.

"No, I was just going to get some random cloud and pull it down here." I replied.

"Really? Me too! You wanna put our clouds next to each other?"

"Well...I...uh..." I felt my face turning bright red.

Rainbow giggled. "Not like that! I just need somepony by my side after...you know..." The smile vanished from her face, and I comforted her, putting my wind around her.

"We'll be fine. I'll go get us a cloud. I took to the skies, leaving Rainbow Dash sad and sullen on the ground below. I looked around, trying to find the biggest, fluffiest cloud in the area. Spotting a nice one, I flew over to it and starting jumping up and down on it to knock all of the water out.

After it was empty, I figured that it was light enough for me to be able to push it towards the barn where Rainbow was waiting. I was still only a little foal, so I knew that it would be a difficult task. I placed my frond hooves against the cloud and pushed as hard as I could, flapping my wings as rapidly as possible. Slowly, the cloud began to pick up speed as I pushed it steadily towards the barn.

It was hard work, but eventually I got the cloud back to the barn. She looked at the cloud, then at me, clearly impressed. "That's a big cloud! How did you manage to even move it?"

"I learned in flight school that if you're moving clouds, it's easier to stomp out all the water first."

"I never learned that!" Why not? Everypony knows that."

"I dropped out of flight school because it was too boring."

"It was the first day of classes!"

"I skipped a lot of classes to do solo flying sessions...by myself..." She flopped onto the cloud and stretched out her hooves, letting out a long, sad, sigh.

"I heard so many stories of a pony performing the legendary sonic rainboom at my flight school...was that you?

"Yes, it was."

"Whoa! Then wouldn't you be famous or something? Why would you drop out?"

Because nopony was my friend. They never asked, because everypony thought that I was too much of an elite flyer to ever want to hang out with them."

"So you were worshipped for your ability and not you incredible personality? That's terrible..." I put my wing around her as she started to cry again. "Don't worry, I'll be your friend. Not just because you could beat me in a race, but because you can make me laugh, and because it's actually kind of fun to hang out with you."

Instead of the expected happy reply, she narrowed her eyes. "R-really? I d-don't believe you." She said, still sniffling slightly.

"Really. And...you're actually kind of cute."

Instead of calming down, she laughed coldly. "I don't believe you. You're not the first foal to say that. How many others do you think wanna learn how to break the sound and spectral barriers?"

"Oh that's easy! I've done it tons of times!"

"Then what is it you want from me?" Rainbow said angrily. "My fame? That's all that I have."

I could almost feel the hatred dripping from her voice...the voice of the only friend I had...

"I want your friendship." I lowered my head and closed my eyes. "I understand if you don't want mine."

I heard her shuffle nervously on the cloud, then felt her gaze rest back on me.

"You're the nicest, cutest, fastes, best filly I've ever met." I hoped with all of my heart that she would believe me.

I raised my head, and saw that the dark fire had faded from her eyes, to be replaced once more with tears.

"D-do you r-really think so?" She mumbled happily.

"Yes, I really do. You are the only friend I have right now, and I don't want to lose that in a filly as wonderful as you."

She stopped crying, and a smile returned to her face. "Somepony who likes me for...well...me! Thank you so much, FireFlash!"

She tackled me onto the cloud and hugged me tightly, and I hugged her back. We had bouth found friendship after tragedy, and we had found it in each other. We both began crying again, happy that we had both found somepony that we could always count on.