• Published 20th Nov 2015
  • 1,553 Views, 89 Comments

My Little Rider: Friendship is Joker - lilAngel



(Crossover / AU story). What if the Elements of Harmony weren't just elements. What if they were also Gaia Memories, and using them required two ponies to fight as one?

  • ...
4
 89
 1,553

PreviousChapters Next
Intervention - Generation Y

“They’re young,” it was always the first argument that came to Princess Celestia’s mind, and she’d said it so many times that she didn’t need to think about the words, “They’re a different generation.”

“The next generation,” Princess Luna pointed out, again going over old ground.

“They haven’t been through the same things we have, they don’t know our past. They might try things we would never accept,” Celestia stuck to the script.

“I had that same doubt a thousand years ago, dear sister. Why not keep using the power of the Elements to ensure our kingdom was safe forever? What was it you said?”

“I told you…” Celestia hesitated. It was the same debate as always, but the first time Luna had tricked her into reading the other side, “I said that the Elements are passed from generation to generation. That the next generation would have different attitudes, from being raised in a land without war, and that they might do things we could never even consider because of that. And they deserve their chance to be heroes.”

“But now they’ve got the Elements, you invited them to the biggest party in Equestria, and now you expect me to stay out of sight so I don’t accidentally blow your big secret. Seriously, if they’re the next generation, you could at least tell them the truth.”

“You know they’d resent it. I did what had to be done, nothing more.”

“But they’d ask why. You want to be the great and wise Princess, the mentor, the one who helps them through everything. And all the time, you don’t even intend to let them live once they’ve done what you want.”

“That is a rather melodramatic way to put it, Luna. You should remember where we are.”

Luna paused, and looked around at the night-flowering shrubs in the royal rose gardens. The guards had all been dismissed, and there was nopony to hear them for miles around. If she used her Royal Canterlot Voice, then many of their subjects could overhear, but she’d learned long ago that such theatrics served no purpose when dealing with family. Besides which, Celestia’s had always been louder.

“It’s true, though,” she carefully kept her voice low and level, “You object to my words only because you see no flaw in my reasoning. You claim to be the greatest friend to those ponies, and yet you sabotaged their Driver. Can you deny that you want to see them die?”

“That is not what I want, in no way am I happy to see Twilight Sparkle hurt. I’ve been preparing her for this ever since she channeled Gaia Energy to awaken Fang’s son, and we are as close as a mentor and student can be. And yet… surely it is better to live a short life of triumph, and to be remembered as the greatest heroes to ever walk Equestria, than to grow complacent and be tainted by the corruption that naturally comes with great power. I love Twilight as if she were my sister, and I cannot let her make the same mistakes that we…”

“That your real sister did.” Luna spat, and stormed back towards the castle. Celestia wanted to call after her, to refute that statement, but she knew there was nothing she could really say. In some way, her little sister was infuriatingly right. It seemed to be a trait of many unicorns, having the right answer when you really didn’t want them to.

“And that,” Celestia managed to have one parting shot, though the words felt hollow even before she said them, “Is exactly why you are not going to attend the Grand Galloping Gala tomorrow.”

PreviousChapters Next