• Published 21st Dec 2015
  • 750 Views, 3 Comments

Lyra's Discovery - Thunder Brony



What will Lyra find that could turn over pony kind and Equestrian on its head? Or is she just doing all this for fame? (Rated T for mild sexuality non clop)

  • ...
 3
 750

Graduation day (revised)

Author's Note:

Chapter one has been revised after looking at it and finding several grammatical mistakes this is the revised version.

Lyra Heartstrings was sitting on a stage in an auditorium on the Canterlot University campus with her graduating class. She had been looking forward to this day since her enrolment nearly 4 years ago. She looked out into the audience and could see the auditorium was filled with the graduating classes friends and their families. Looking to the front row she saw her friends Bon-Bon, Twinkleshine, Lemonhearts, Minuette, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash. She smiled as the Valedictorian came to the podium and talked about the journey of a pony from enrolment to graduation. She gave a testimonial about the acquisition of knowledge and how it shaped a ponies perception of the world around them. After the commencement ended the graduates and the audience proceeded to the larger banquet hall where they all mingled.

Pinkie came up to Lyra and said “congratulations on your archeological degree if you ever need a geologist my sister Maude can lend a hoof.”

Lyra smiled “that sounds good I will let you know” Pinkie smiled.

As the ceremony began to die down the director of education walked up to Lyra. A light tan unicorn stallion with a pick and shovel for a cutie mark. He said “hi Lyra” turning around she said “hi Anton glad you could come to the ceremony.”

Anton smiled “I wouldn’t have missed it for anything” he looked around “I read your thesis on the ancient bipedal theory.” His face took on a serious look “there may be some truth to the legends.”

Lyra arched an eyebrow “there is?”

Anton nodded “yes approximately 200 years ago an archeological team was digging in the Badlands and they found something interesting.”

Lyra asked “what did they find?”

Anton said “paintings inside of some caves of strange creatures.”

Lyra asked “what do you mean strange?”

Anton said “it’s hard to explain all we have are some sketches.”

Lyra arched an eyebrow “sketches of paintings?”

Anton nodded “yes this was before the camera was invented so all we had were sketches and the find was so unusual it could have potentially turned Equestrian history on its head.”

Lyra said “wow that sounds exiting.”

Anton nodded “yes but no pony has been to the Badlands in 200 years not after what happened to the archaeologists.”

Lyra asked “what happed to them?”

Anton said “based on what I heard the dig site was abandoned amid claims of the site being” he chuckled “haunted.”

Lyra just smiled “you don’t believe that do you?”

Anton replied “personally no but some do and because of that no pony wants to go there and those who do make unreasonable requests like added security for fear of raiders.

Lyra asked “there are raiders there?”

Anton replied “no I think some pony confused ghosts with raiders the Badlands is a barren desolate area very few if any pony ever goes there. It would not be practical for a bandit or raider to hide there and rob a traveler. That makes some sense since the Badlands lead to the Forbidden Jungle to the south east. There are rumors of ancient structures with vast treasures inside” shaking his head “personally I don’t either one is true.”

Lyra asked “has any pony been to the Forbidden Jungle?”

Anton replied “not in over 500 years currently Ventor Farnock is studying notes and sketches from the last expedition he is retiring in a week. The university could use a new archeologist how would you like his position?”

Lyra was slightly taken back she said “I would be honored to take the position.”

Anton smiled “great welcome aboard come to the university tomorrow morning and fill out the paperwork.”

Lyra asked “what happens after that?”

Anton said “once you’re in the system you will have access to the vast archeological archives then learn all you can from Ventor Farnock.”

Lyra was exited as Anton excused himself to talk to the other guests she was so excited she went and told her friends they were all exited to hear the news.

Bon-Bon said “that’s wonderful news I’m so happy for you.”

Pinkie Pie, Lemmon Hearts, Twinkle Shy and Minuet offered their congratulations and wished her the best of luck with her new career.

The next day Lyra went to Canterlot University and met with Anton and filled out the paperwork and he showed her around the university and introduced her to the staff.
After the tour she met Ventor Farnock he was an elderly unicorn stallion with a grey mane and tail and a mining helmet for a cutie mark.

Lyra walked up to him and introduced herself Ventor smiled and said “I’ve heard of you.”

Lyra said “you have?”

Ventor nodded “you’re the pony who wrote the thesis on the ancient biped theory I find it compelling.”

Lyra asked “have you found anything to support the theory?”

Ventor said “not anything definitive I’ve been searching the Badlands and the Macintosh hills for over 616 moons. I never found anything definitive but I can tell you there is something to the theory.” He sighed all “all that time digging and all I found was this” he opened a drawer and levitated out a small stone tool. It was 12 cm long and shaped like a small spade with curves on each side of the base the stone looked as if it had been fashioned a stone toolmaker.

Lyra asked “what is that?”

Ventor said “I don’t know but it looks like some sort of hunting tool see the curves at the base I watch this.” He levitated a wooden rod with a split in the tip and some string he placed the tip into the rod and tied the string to it “see what I mean?”

Lyra said “that makes no sense ponies don’t hunt unless wait are you saying the theory is true?”

Ventor replied “I am not saying anything, this is not definitive proof but however, aside from that there’s this” he levitated a book over to her.

Lyra took the book in her magic and read the cover Journal of the Equestrian Badlands by Sinbar Jormalia.

Ventor said “read that it details her expeditions and here’s a map where some interesting items were found.”

Lyra asked “what kind of items?”

Ventor said “it is best if you see them for yourself when you get the chance visit the Canterlot museum basement they are located in the section 7 row 17 drawer 21.”

Lyra arched an eyebrow as she levitated the journal and opened it in the front flap was a piece of folded paper. She unfolded the paper and saw what looked like a drawn mini map of the badlands. There was an X on a location in the area of one of the caves Ventor said “I’m going home for the day if you have any questions feel free to ask me.” Lyra nodded put the map down and opened the journal and began to read. It detailed several expeditions to the Equestrian Badlands and detailed the day to day search for items of interest. On the last page there was an entry it read I have found definitive proof to support the ancient bipedal theory. There are cave paintings on the walls I found pieces of a skeleton. I packed the bones into a crate and had it sent to the university to be identified. The bones cannot be matched to any known Equestrian species magic dating tests on the remains have determined them to be at least 150,000 years old.

Lyra looked at the map again and wondered what these creatures looked like she imagined the possibilities. She looked out the window and noticed it was early evening. She caught the last train to Ponyville and returned home and said hi to her roommate Bon-Bon.

As she sat down Bon-Bon asked “how was your day?”

Lyra said “it was nice I found a mini map of the Equestrian Badlands and evidence that lends credence to the ancient bipedal theory.”

Bon-Bon sighed “you don’t really believe in that do you?”

Lyra replied “I’m not sure I like to keep an open mind about it, I read a journal that stated remains from an exuviation site were dated to be 150,000 years old. Besides it’s a great mystery and like any great mystery we have to keep searching, until we find not what we think the solution should be but the truth.”

Bon-Bon smiled “that’s what I like about you your drive to find the answers to any problem and your unwillingness to let anything stand in your way.”

Lyra smiled as she levitated over her lyre and began strumming the strings Bon-bon smiled and swayed to the rhythmic tune Lyra smiled softly.

The next day Lyra went to the Canterlot museum showed her ID card to the museum guards and was granted access to the downstairs storage area the archive. It was huge consisting of 32 sections. Each section had 27 drawers that ran from floor to ceiling each drawer was numbered and each section. On the far ends of each section was a hydraulic scissor lift for Earth ponies and unicorns. It was 1 meter long and 60 cm wide it had 2 flexible hoof slots on either side. Following the numbers to section 7 went down the corridor she came to the lift and slipped her hooves into the slots and pushed the lift which moved easily on the hard floor to row 17. Stepping onto the lift she saw a hoof shaped slot in a groove in one direction was the word UP and in the other DOWN. She slipped her hoof into the slot and pushed it the UP position and began to walk on the treadmill. This turned a wheel which in turn moved a connecting rod. The rod moved a wheel on the lower part of the lift this made the hydraulic fluid flow from a small tank into a piston. As she walked the lift rose into the air until she reached drawer 21. She stopped walking activating her horn she opened the drawer inside was a piece of paper it read samples excavated from expedition to the Equestrian Badlands lead by Sinbar Jormalia. Looking inside she saw some amazing items. A jawbone unlike any ever seen before it had 16 teeth and was shorter than a pony’s jaw. Next to it was a plaster cast of a print unlike anything she or any pony had seen before. It was 25 cm long by 15 cm wide and it had 5 dots on the top of it. Each one from right to left was shorter than the last. The most unusual item was a bone it was 38 cm long with a ball at a 47ᴼ angle. She closed the drawer then slipped her hoof into the grooved slot and moved it to DOWN position and the lift slowly descended. Curious about the artifacts she went to see Anton and asked about the items his response was a bit of a surprise.

He said “I don’t know all I do know is they were found in an excavation from Sinbar Jormalia’s expedition no pony knows what they are.”

Lyra asked “ancient bipeds?”

Anton thought for a moment said “possibly but we can’t jump to any conclusions not without further evidence.”

Lyra asked “is that why there not on display?”

Anton nodded “we don’t know what species they are all we know is they are 150,000 years old if you can find more evidence then we can put them on display in the Canterlot museum. Imagine what it could do for the university not to mention your reputation as the premiere archeologist in Equestria.

Lyra’s eyes glistened in delight “I like the sound of that.”

Anton smiled “in that case how would you like to travel to the Badlands?”

Lyra nodded “that sounds great but I need to think about it I will have my answer tomorrow.”

Anton smiled “great if you decide to do this the university will supply you with travel as far as Dodge City and once there we will provide lodging as well as camping provisions such as food, water and tents.”

Lyra asked “why has no pony ventured there in over 200 years?”

Anton replied “not many believe in ancient bipeds some say they are only a myth like the lost city of Equinetis, not to mention the rumors of ghosts and raiders have kept them away.”

Lyra said “I do not think a ghost would spend its time haunting a cave a cottage or a house maybe but not a cave.”

Anton said “if you succeed just think of the fore mentioned possibilities.”

Lyra smiled “I’ll do my best.”

On the train ride back to Ponyville she stared out the window possessing the information she just learned even when she arrived at her house she was still a little out of it.

Bon-Bon noticed her friend’s preoccupation and asked “Lyra are you feeling alright?”

Lyra snapped out of her daze “huh? Oh yes I’m fine it’s just the university wants me to go on an expedition to the Equestrian Badlands.”

Bon-Bon said excitedly “they do? That’s great what did you say?”

Lyra said “I said I would think it over and have my decision by tomorrow I would like to but I don’t want to go alone.” She took a deep breath “if I go on this expedition I want you to come along with me.”

Bon-Bon smiled “I can think of no pony I would rather be with.”

Lyra smiled “you always make me feel so good it’s almost like were…. She stopped abruptly.

Bon-Bon just smiled and turned her head slightly Lyra thought she saw her blushing slightly.

The next day Lyra traveled to the university and met with Anton she said “I made my decision I will go on this expedition.”

Anton smiled “that’s great you depart for the Badlands next week when you arrive at Dodge City train station look for a sky blue unicorn mare with an amber mane and tail with an unfurled mini map cutie mark she will show you the way to the Badlands.”

Lyra was excited when she told her friends Pinkie threw her a party on the night before she left for Dodge city and then the Badlands after the party ended they said their goodbyes. They went home and packed their things. The next day went to the train station then boarded a train bound for Dodge City. As the train began to move away from the station Lyra and Bon-Bon looked out the window as the ground moved slowly at first then more quickly.

Lyra looked away from the window and said “I am a little nervous I have never been to the Badlands before.”

Bon-Bon said “nether have I what do you think we will find?”

Lyra said “I hope to find some artifacts just think if I become famous you can say you live with the premiere archeologist of Equestria.”

Bon-Bon just smiled and said “that sounds very nice.”

Lyra noticed something in her friend’s eyes but Bon-Bon just smiled softly and looked out the window.

When they arrived in Dodge City it was late and the sun was beginning to set as they disembarked with their bags and went to the local hotel and rented a room for the night.