• Published 5th Mar 2016
  • 6,885 Views, 106 Comments

An Uneasy Reunion - twilightsparkle3562



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria for a nervous reunion with Princess Celestia.

  • ...
27
 106
 6,885

Chapter 1: Memories of a Troubled Relationship

Princess Celestia had been not just a ruler, but also a mentor, a mentor to some of the luckiest ponies to even think about have her as a teacher. However, in every successful teaching course, there has always been a failure and no student had that honor more than Sunset Shimmer. Sunset Shimmer was like one of the many mares that had a chance to be Celestia's equal.

But, when Sunset didn't get what she wanted…well, the rest was history as she went through a portal and into a new way of life that was far different from life in Equestria.

Nevertheless, as she sat in her quarters while looking at a picture of Sunset on her first day with her, Celestia had always longed for Sunset Shimmer to return and at least make up with her for all the times that had not been so great. True, that they couldn't have their student and teacher relationship the way that it used to be, but at least they could be friends.

"Sister? Are you there?" asked a voice, causing Celestia to break off her concentrated thoughts. "I've been worried about you."

"You may come in, Luna," replied Celestia, turning her attention off of the picture as the door opened and a dark colored Alicorn pony with a flowing blue mane walked into Celestia's bedroom. "Sorry if I hadn't been myself lately. I've been thinking about Sunset Shimmer."

"Ah, yes," remarked Luna, taking note of the picture as well. "That pony who wanted anything that she would get her hooves on, including Twilight Sparkle's ex-crown. Why are you thinking about her?"

Celestia turned her attention over to Luna and normally she would hide her feelings from everypony and keep them to herself. But, this was something that had been going on for several days and she couldn't hide from Luna for very long. Not when she had the power to enter the dreams of others if they were distressed.

"Sister, I know that Sunset Shimmer can no longer be my student," sighed Celestia. "But, if I could just see her again and make sure she is all right, then it would be worth my while."

This was quite a surprise for Luna, what little she had seen of Sunset Shimmer at least as a pony, had hardly been enough to establish a good impression. Sure, she had heard from Twilight Sparkle about her adventures through the mirror, and the role Sunset had played in helping to defeat the two most recent threats from the other side, but that still left one big problem.

“Sister, surely you have realized that Sunset Shimmer probably has no intention of returning to Equestria ever again. If she did, she would’ve returned by now. The portal can be opened and closed at will, yet she has not come back even once. She is probably content with her life on the other side of the mirror.”

But, Celestia merely raised her hoof and silenced Luna from saying another word. What was known very well about Celestia was that if she made a decision, she stood by it. In her mind, Sunset was not dangerous in any sense of the word. There had been far more dangerous threats to Equestria and Sunset Shimmer was just a troubled pony with a troubled past.

"I have always believed that Sunset was hiding something from me and refused to tell me what it is. Something made her act the way she did and I will find out eventually," Celestia told Luna. “Perhaps, if I had only pressed her sooner on her past, I might have noticed the signs in time to prevent her from ending up on such a dark path.”

"If you can get her to come," advised Luna. "Then, I wish you good luck on that. Only Twilight knows how to activate the portal, and even then there is the matter of convincing Sunset Shimmer to return.”

Yes, Luna was right, but Celestia knew that Twilight Sparkle, her most successful student that was now her youngest equal, would find a way to frequently come to and from the other world. A chance meeting with Sunset Shimmer was the only way to patch up what was torn between both of them.

"You know very well that Princess Twilight will find a way, Luna," she sighed as they left Celestia's quarters. "She is the only one who has been close with Sunset since she went through the portal and recovered the Element of Magic. I just hope that Sunset would be more than willing to return, if Twilight manages to convince her to leave the world she calls home and return to Equestria."

Celestia and Luna then walked down to the hall of stained glass windows and looked up at their youngest equal's coronation window. Again, this was a window that held the most inspiration for Celestia and it was a window that held great meaning to both her and Luna.

"And what if she doesn't come back?" wondered Luna.

Celestia took an enormous gulp at her younger sister's remark. Sunset not returning to Equestria in Celestia's mind, although an option, was not one she wanted to consider. The bad blood between the two of them in the past needed to be addressed, even if Sunset was never going to come home to Equestria. The question now was how the impending meeting between former student and teacher would turn out.

"I hope with every bout of strength in my body that she will come back," replied Celestia, a hint of worry in her voice. "She has family and friends here in Canterlot that are probably worried about her as much as I am. Worst of all, they don't even know where Sunset is. All they know is that their daughter ran off to another world, and only returned once for a brief amount of time. What if she is hurt? Or what if she needs help?"

Both sisters could only imagine at that remark about Sunset's worried family, thinking about where their daughter was. Normally, the sisters would have royal guards ponies scouring every inch of Equestria in search of Sunset. Of course, their efforts would be in vain in this case.

"Twilight," Celestia whispered. "If you can convince Sunset to come home where she belongs, it would make my life worthwhile."

Still, nevertheless, all that they could do was wait for the moment when Sunset Shimmer does pluck up the courage to return to Equestria. Fortunately, their chance would come sooner than they thought…