• Published 5th Mar 2016
  • 6,887 Views, 106 Comments

An Uneasy Reunion - twilightsparkle3562



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria for a nervous reunion with Princess Celestia.

  • ...
27
 106
 6,887

Chapter 12: The Whole Truth Comes Out

Nervously standing before her parents, her mentor and her friends, Sunset Shimmer closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She knew that after talking to Starlight Glimmer, she couldn't hold in her true feelings for very long.

"Well, we are all waiting," cried Solar Eclipse, her voice growing impatient and her left front hoof tapping impatiently. "Tell us where you have been and why you didn't come home! Please, we want to know."

Knowing how angry her mother was getting, Sunset took in another deep sigh and began to tell her story of where she was for the past few years. Sunset wanted to run away again, but she couldn't. Running away now would only add more salt into the wound that had been open for such a long time. Looking over to Starlight, who nodded with her eyes closed, Sunset began her story.

"Mom, Dad, everyone," she began, slowly talking a solemn voice. "For the past few years, I have been in another world. One that is very different from Equestria."

To Sunset's parents this was a complete and utter shock. To hear that their only daughter was residing in another world made them fear for what Sunset had been through. They both could only imagine what this other world was like.

"In this world," Sunset continued. "I could get what I want and I did. I became what was known as Princess of a place called Canterlot High."

"Canterlot High?" wondered Luna, an eyebrow raised in suspicion. "What exactly is this Canterlot High you speak of?"

"It is a school, Princess Luna," answered Sunset, hastily. "A school which the inhabitants of the world I call home attend. The principals who oversee the school bear a striking resemblance to both you, and Celestia."

"Indeed," remarked Celestia, closing her eyes and trying to picture what Sunset was saying about the world beyond the mirror. "Sunset, I am have heard about it through Princess Twilight. But, you must know very well, that I did not want you learning about this other world. I had no idea what lay on the other side of it, and until you first returned I still did not know."

Sunset could well remember the actions that led to her being turned away by Celestia. Her fascination withnd wanting to become a princess had overcome her mind and resulted in this dark path that she took for several years. "I know you didn't want me to, Celestia," confessed Sunset. "But all could I think about was myself. I became convinced you were holding me back. I realize now how foolish that was. Nopony else can be blamed for my actions, no matter what they might think. There is nothing they could’ve done to talk me out of it."

"We are to blame in a way," Wild Fire sighed as Solar Eclipse's eyes widened while he walked over to his daughter. "Sunset, we were focused too much on your brother, and you had every right to be mad with us because of that. I know very well that you had a chance to be successful, but we just didn't pay as much attention until you were the princess’ student. Maybe, if we had been more encouraging of your earlier accomplishments, things would’ve turned out differently. I just hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us, and that we can become a family again."

Sunset looked down at the floor once more and slowly began to process what her father had just said. In her mind, Sunset couldn't believe that her father would apologize now for unintentionally ignoring her achievements and focusing on her brother. At the same time, she knew that the game was up and that her actions had been exposed. Sunset could see that her parents were going to do everything they could to keep her in Equestria.

"We want you to come back home where you belong," continued Wild Fire. "We can start over again and give you the love and admiration that you have always wanted. It's time for you be with us again, Sunset. Please, we are begging you." Tears were beginning to form in the corners of Wild Fire's eyes, which was telling Sunset that she should just accept the chance to stay in Equestria where she belonged. But, at the same time, she knew very well that staying in Equestria would mean that she would have to give up living at Canterlot High with all her friends that she had come to know and love. As well as abandoing her pursuits of understanding the Equestrian magic brought into the other world.

"The decision is yours, Sunset," Celestia said wisely, while lowering her head for a moment. "Take all the time that you need to make your decision."

With that said, Sunset turned and without even saying goodbye, left the throne room to think about her decision. This was not a decision she could just make in the blink of an eye.


Sunset returned to Twilight's castle that night and stayed in one of the guest rooms. Starlight was down the hall, hoping and praying that Sunset would make the right decision.

"Do you think she will make the right choice?" asked Spike, who also couldn't sleep as he too was thinking about Sunset. "I mean, if she does make it."

"It's a decision that will be entirely her own, Spike," replied Starlight. "But, I guess we will have to find out in the morning. I’ve been down a similar road, but Princess Twilight helped me to make the decision. Sunset will have to make her decision on her own."

And with that, Starlight closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep. Soon, the morning would come and Sunset would announce her decision of whether to stay in Equestria, or return to the human world.

Sunset Shimmer thought long and hard, as the hours ticked by. Weighing the pros and cons of each decision. “No matter what I choose, I will be hurting someone,” she unhappily realized. “Why must this be so difficult?!