• Published 9th Oct 2015
  • 2,571 Views, 248 Comments

Whatever Way the Wind Takes You - kudzuhaiku



One day, a pegasus decides to spread her wings and fly away.

  • ...
11
 248
 2,571

Chapter 2

From the journal of Gloomy August—


It was easier than I thought to leave home. All I had to do was spread my wings and fly away, the easiest thing in the world for a pegasus to do. The wind took me, lifted me, and I rose on updrafts. I watched Twilight Sparkle and Ponyville grow smaller and smaller. After everything was so small that I could no longer make out the little details, I was hit by one of the big gusts of wind that exist in the upper level atmosphere. Those dangerous gusts that we’re warned about in school. I had one of those hit me and WHOOSH! I was off, being blown to the north and east, with Canterlot off towards my right. I’m just a little pegasus mare and the wind had its way with me. I was a leaf on the wind.

I had traveled several hundred miles in the span of just a few hours. I don’t know how far, or how fast I was going, but I found myself flying over the Unicorn Range with Canterlot now behind me, shrinking away, the distant city getting smaller and smaller.

Off in the distance, I saw a wall of thunderheads blowing in. Big, bossy looking thunderheads. The dangerous types. Feral clouds, probably blown in from off of the ocean. I dipped a bit, following my instincts, and sure enough, once dropped in altitude, the wind below me was blowing eastward, towards Canterlot behind me. The strong headwind was warm. That’s never a good sign. The warm wet air pushed ahead of the storm was colliding with the cold, frigid air above it, which was blowing in the other direction.

I have to confess, I was scared. The storm was coming right for me, and I suppose I should have just let the wind blow me back to Canterlot, but I turned my nose upwards, gained elevation, and let the wind above blow me towards the storm. With luck, I would blow over the top of the storm and everything would be okay.

At least, that had been the plan. Things turned out very differently. For the first time in my life, I was in danger of dying, for realsies. But I couldn’t fly away. Something inside of me would not let me fly away, and I flew into the very heart of the storm.

I’m glad I did. I still don’t know how I feel after everything that happened. I’m still trying to sort it all out. I learned that a single pegasus can make a difference. I also learned that I am brave. I did not know that I was brave, so this is a big deal for me. It is a dangerous business going out your door and having an adventure, stuff happens!


Looking down, Gloomy’s sharp eyes spotted feral tornadoes tearing over the fertile farmland. Something inside of her burned like a cherry red coal when she saw them. The storm was approaching and the wild tornadoes surged forwards as the heralds of impending doom.

Far, far beneath her, so far down that Gloomy had trouble seeing, a massive tornado traveled over a river that trickled out of a lake. She squinted, seeing movement, and watched as the river became wider and wider and the fertile farmland began to flood. Once the tornado had passed, it was easier to see what had happened. A dam holding back the water and forming a reservoir was now gone, obliterated by the tornado. Other twisters were converging on the area. The big storm blowing inland was going to hit this area as it was flooding. Night would be falling soon.

Gloomy realised that she had just flown into a disaster. She hovered, not knowing what to do, and covered her mouth with her hoof as her face scrunched into a frown of concentration. She took stock of the world around her. There wasn’t much high ground. There was nowhere to run, nowhere to go, no place to seek shelter from what was certain to be an epic flood. She glanced at the coming storm. It was miles wide, stretching out from the mountains off to the south, and as far as she could see to the north. It was miles wide, a wall of rainclouds. The Unicorn Range down below was a valley, one of the most fertile patches of earth in Equestria, if not the world.

Gloomy, who realised that she was just one pegasus, didn’t know what she could do in the eye of such a big, powerful storm and the dreadful disaster floating below. What could just one pegasus do? Gloomy didn’t know. A powerful gust of air hit her and she had to flap her wings very hard to keep from being blown away. There was a time to let the wind have its way with you, but now was not the time.

“One pegasus can do a lot more than no pegasus can do,” Gloomy said to herself as she hovered. She reached down around her neck, grabbed her weather goggles, and slid them up over her eyes. Dipping her head downwards, Gloomy August dove down to face the storm.


The enormity of her task was overwhelming for Gloomy. How does one save ponies from a natural disaster? There was nowhere to take them, nowhere to go. There were farmhouses dotting the landscape. Buffeted by the high winds, Gloomy could see the floodwaters rising; for now, it was only a narrow patch of land in the center of the valley. Ponies were outrunning the water and trying to head for higher ground.

There was no higher ground for as far as Gloomy could see. She watched a whirling vortex go right for a farmhouse. Cringing, hoping that the ponies living there had fled, the house was ripped apart as she watched, leaving Gloomy feeling very weak and powerless. It was getting harder to keep flying in the storm. It was impossible to know what to do, but she couldn’t just fly away.

There had to be something she could do. An icy wind ruffled her feathers and Gloomy watched as the impending doom of the storm crept closer, a wall of wind, rain, and water. She thought about trying some cloud busting, but she was all alone; there were far too many clouds to bust and she didn’t see any other pegasi about.

All it seemed she could do was to hover defiant in the face of the oncoming storm.

But that wasn’t enough. Gloomy had to do more. She had to do something.

Brave, resolute, Gloomy August let the storm swallow her just as it was doing to everypony else. Perhaps being blown around would show her what to do. Maybe being in the thick of it would show her the way.


It was impossible to tell if it was night or day. It was just dark. The sun was completely blocked off. Gloomy had to fight against the wind. She dodged between swirling tornadoes and was soaked by the wall of rain that poured down from the back clouds that blotted out the sun. Perhaps this was a bad idea, but Gloomy was still convinced that she could help out somehow. She just needed to be patient and wait for the opportunity to present itself.

She swooped low, flying where the storm was the strongest, trying to avoid the bully twisters rampaging about. It was hailing too. The stones stung when they pelted her. Her pith helmet saved her tender head and her ears. Nothing stung quite so much as one hundred mile per hour hailstones hitting you right in the ear.

Except for maybe one hundred mile per hour hailstones hitting your backside. Ouch!

It was now dark and difficult to see. Gloomy flew low, over a farmhouse, looking around, trying to listen for voices over the rushing wind. Nothing here, at least nothing that she could hear. Lightning flashed and thunder crashed. There were faces in the black clouds, demon faces. Gloomy assured herself that these were just optical whatchamacallits, delusions? Something. Scary faces were not natural phenomenon in clouds. She was almost pushed into a grain silo by a particularly strong, stiff wind that gusted. Below her was frothing white capped water.

As the wind carried her to another farmhouse, this one some distance away from the first, she heard faint cries over the wind. Gloomy, who found new strength, had to fly into a headwind to be able to investigate. The wind shifted, now hitting her from her right side, and she had to struggle to correct her course.

There was a small farmhouse. The water was up to the windows. It was difficult to see anything in the dark. There were only faint outlines, dim shapes, a suggestion of what was there and what one could see.

“Help!”

Squinting through her goggles, Gloomy battled the wind until she reached the roof where she saw four figures engaged in a battle to keep standing. She landed, a hazardous affair, and tried to keep from being blown away. She leaned into the wind, hearing frantic shouts, not knowing what to do, and not willing to admit that this had been a bad idea.

On the roof there was one earth pony mare, one unicorn stallion, and two foals. Both colts. Gloomy, who was never very good at math, which was the primary reason why she was a Cloud Specialist, First Class and not a Weather Captain like Rainbow Dash, tried to add up the situation. Four ponies plus one Gloomy equals… what exactly?

“Can you carry our foals to safety?” The stallion asked, shouting to be heard over the wind. One of his colts was clinging to his leg, the other clung to what was certain to be his mother.

Safety? What safety? There was no high ground, there was nowhere to go. There was no shelter. There was no conceivable place to go carrying two foals to get them to safety. There was only the mother of all storms, rising flood waters, and rampaging tornadoes all around.

“Sure thing!” Gloomy replied in her unflappable, almost cheeky, cheerful manner. There had to be some hope somewhere, or so Gloomy reasoned. These parents needed hope. So did the foals, both of them. She wasn’t quite sure what the parents would do. She hoped that they could swim.

The house gave a shudder as more flood water hammered at the walls. There was a creak from the house that was loud enough to be heard over the roaring demon wind. Gloomy rose into a hover, her powerful wings flapping hard, and she nodded while holding out her forelegs.

A flying tree zoomed overhead, causing Gloomy’s nethers to clench. Not getting hit by a flying tree was high upon her list of priorities. The unicorn’s horn glowed and the two foals were swept up into the air, held in magic. Gloomy watched through wet, rain spattered goggles as the earth pony mares kissed her foals, perhaps for the last time, and then the unicorn stallion did the same.

One pegasus is better than no pegasus, Gloomy thought to herself as she took the two foals into her forelegs and squeezed them tight to her barrel. She couldn’t wave, not while holding the two foals, so she gave a final respectful nod to the parents.

“We love you!” the mare shouted.

A powerful wind gusted, too powerful, and Gloomy could not fight it; she had to go with it, going where the wind took her. As she was shoved along, she heard the snapping wood sound of the house collapsing, ripped apart by water and wind. There was no point in turning back now.

She ducked as another tree flew past her, and then darted away as a clothesline full of laundry still connected to the tree almost whipped her. She had to dodge a flying cow; Gloomy felt awful, she could hear the cow mooing, begging for help, but there was nothing that Gloomy could do. She needed to get out of this storm somehow, but Gloomy had no sense of direction. The intense lightning, the supercharged electrical disturbances, they were interfering with her natural compass and sense of direction.

There was a brilliant flash of lightning, turning the world brighter than day, and it illuminated the nightmare all around Gloomy. An entire grain silo went flying past, almost smashing into her. She flew up. It was the only direction she could think of going. The storm could only go so high. The two foals she was carrying might have a little trouble breathing the thinner air, which wasn’t a problem for Gloomy, but thinner air was better than being dead, all things considered.

It was a struggle to gain altitude. Everything was pushing downwards, or so it felt. Gloomy sideswiped another tornado, it was close, too close, and she let out a little scream right along with the two colts that she was carrying. The wind chucked a stove at her. Dodging that almost caused her to get sucked into a vortex. A second later, what appeared to be part of a chimney flew right at Gloomy, and she couldn’t avoid it. She kicked out with her hind legs, shattering the bricks. Her whole body was pelted with fragments that exploded outwards from the now busted to pieces chimney. Her hind legs were sore and her hoofsies hurt something fierce.

A lightning bolt almost tagged Gloomy, but her reflexes allowed her to dart aside. Gloomy couldn’t keep this up forever, sooner or later, her luck would fail. Which meant that she needed to boogie out of here while she still had luck. She redoubled her efforts to fly up.


Gloomy, clinging to two little colts, continued her battle to climb upwards and escape the storm. She was getting tired, but she still had plenty left to give. She wasn’t one for giving up. The foals were wet, soaked, and shivering against her, either from cold or fear, or maybe both. She had felt a brief moment of warm wetness against her, but that couldn’t be helped. Truth be told, Gloomy was about to widdle herself as well. Hailstones bounced off of her and both of the little colts had their faces pressed against her.

The storm was still throwing things at her, as storms were wont to do. Rather rude, all things considered. Storms and pegasi were natural enemies with a long history of mutual hatred. Pegasi had tamed the storms a long time ago, harnessed them, and had used them to pull Equestria to greatness. Every now and then though, the storms rebelled.

Like now. Gloomy couldn’t even begin to imagine how large of a pegasi army that you would need to battle this storm. There would be casualties, of that there would be no doubt. Gloomy knew that she was pushing her luck with every second spent in the swirling maelstrom.

There was another clap of thunder and then, Gloomy heard… voices? There were fierce cries in the wind. She didn’t know what she was hearing. It seemed as though the very wind itself was tensing up, and so was Gloomy. Holding the two colts, she braced herself, waiting for something to happen.

And something did happen. The clouds parted, swirling away, the skies clearing as an army advanced. Gloomy watched wide eyed as a wall of pegasi wearing golden armor advanced. There were hundreds, no, thousands of pegasi filling the skies… and right behind them…

More pegasi!

Astonished, exhausted, Gloomy watched as the army advanced, coming right at her. She hung in mid air, flapping her wings, her eyes wide behind her goggles, and she saw the most amazing sight. In the middle of it all there was Princess Luna, riding in a hideous looking spiky chariot. Her horn glowed like the sun, dispelling the storm and pushing it back. Her chariot was pulled by the strangest looking pegasi that Gloomy had ever seen; they looked more reptilian than equine, they had slitted eyes, forked tongues that flickered out, and wings like dragons.

As Gloomy flew in place, several pegasi broke off from the formation, flew right for her, and before she could even protest, she was snatched up. She was pulled into the middle of the formation, near Princess Luna’s chariot. The blue alicorn was bellowing at the storm, chastising it for harming her ponies, her voice was like angry thunder.

Now safe in the middle of an advancing army of thousands, Gloomy smiled and gave the two colts that she was holding a little squeeze. For the two colts, one pegasus had been enough, one pegasus had made a difference, and Gloomy was glad that she had flown into the storm.

Author's Note:

That's one plucky little pegasus.