• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 15,996 Views, 1,780 Comments

Of Flame and Shadow - Garuda IV



Dark Flame was a young stallion of the mining village, Stonewall. But after a dragon thought to be of myth attacks, Dark becomes the only survivor and now attempts to remake his life. However, his past isn't willing to let him go so easily.

  • ...
79
 1,780
 15,996

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 71- Decisions

Dark laid on top of the center of the bed as he stared blankly up at the ceiling, his cheeks having long been matted down and dried of the tears that he'd finally ran out of. But even without the tears to accompany it, Dark continued to cry as the scene of his thought-to-have-been-dead brother from last night replayed repeatedly over in his mind. Letting out a depressed sigh, Dark curled himself up tightly into a ball and laid his head down to try and sleep it off some more.

I can't believe this, he thought. I knew that he hated me, but for him to go so far as to...

Dark's sobbing grew in volume again a little as a fresh wave of sadness washed over him.

"I'm sorry, Light," Dark sobbed to nopony. "I don't know what I did to deserve it, but I'm sorry."

As he continued to lay there, Dark repeated his apology over and over again. He was so absorbed in his own sorrows that he didn't hear it when the door open up, or when three sets of hooves entered the room. It wasn't until he felt the bed beginning to sink in all around him and start to feel a warmth encompassing him that he finally took notice that he was no longer alone. Taking in the familiar scent of lavender and burnt firewood, Dark lifted his head up slightly to see Twilight laying on top of him with her forelegs and wings spread over him, doing what she could to blanket him with her warmth. Seeing her looking down at him and feeling her warmth blanketing him, Dark withheld a whimper as he closed his eyes and let himself melt against Twilight's embrace. Moments later, he felt Twilight stroking his mane in an attempt to calm him further.

"It's okay, Dark," she whispered reassuringly. "It's not your fault. You did nothing wrong."

"I did, Twilight," Dark spoke, his voice sounding dead and hollow. "How else do you explain how my... how my own brother would act like that against me?"

"I think I may be able to answer that, Dark."

Opening his eyes again, Dark noticed that the sinking in the bed he felt wasn't from Twilight laying on him, but from Celestia and Luna on laying down circling around him, both of whom were without their royal regalia. Now that he was paying attention, he could feel his back was pressing up against Celestia's side.

"P-Princess-"

Luna raised a hoof and stopped him. "No. Not this time, Dark. Right now, we come to you not as Princesses of Equestria, but simply as Celestia and Luna, just two pony sisters."

"Two sister," Celestia continued for Luna, "who know all too well what it is that you're going through, and wish to try and help you."

Dark laid his head back down against the bed. "I don't know what you could do to help. My little brother wants me dead and I don't even know why."

Luna sadly sighed. "Envy has a way of changing a pony."

"Light's always been like that towards me, but he's never gone to such lengths like this before now." Dark paused for a moment as memories of past events ran through his mind. "Or rather, I suppose since he sent that army of Everfree creatures into Ponyville."

"Actually, it predates even that, Dark," Luna corrected. "If memory serves correct, it would go back to when you were first attacked by those alpha timberwolves after your flying lessons with Rainbow Dash by the pond."

"Great." Dark gave an empty sigh. "What do I do now about him? Or rather, what should I and can I do about him now?"

Celestia lowered her head and craned it so Dark could see her face.

"For now, you should try to recover."

"I'm fine. I don't need to-"

"I'm not talking about your physical well-being, Dark. I mean that you should take some time off to recover emotionally. Trust me, Dark, I know exactly what you're going through, and some emotional rest will help you feel better."

"... you mean with you and...?"

"Yes, with that."

"While we don't like to talk about it much," Luna spoke, "we do see the parallels between this and when I became Nightmare Moon. While there are several obvious differences, in the end, it's the same thing with two siblings where the younger becomes consumed by jealousy and transforms. And while your brother may not have transformed physically besides the addition of his horn, he's still not the same that you remember, correct?"

"I... I guess..." he slowly admitted. "Like I said, while he did hate me, it was never this bad, or even this close to it."

"You mustn't blame yourself for not being able to stop him sooner, Dark," Celestia spoke.

"Why not?" he asked dully.

"Because, unlike me, you recognized what was happening with him quickly and acted on it. I remember what you told me when I first asked you about him last year, about how you tried your best to talk and reason to him. And when that didn't work, you then turned to your family members for help. You have done more than I ever did before Luna's fall from grace, and if I could, I would've done it over again, but with your example."

"Uh... thanks, Prin- er... Celestia." Dark sighed and glanced down to the bedsheets. "It's still my fault, though."

Twilight began nuzzling the side of Dark's head reassuringly. "Not it's not, Dark. Like I said, you didn't do anything wrong."

"No, not that. It's my fault that I didn't notice that it was him sooner."

"There wasn't any way that you could've known that the cloaked stallion was Light."

"There was, actually. I just didn't notice it before."

"When?" Luna wondered.

"Before he sent me through the portal," Dark answered, unaware of Twilight as her breath hitched at where this could lead. "When he confronted me in front of the castle, he attacked me with his sword. I didn't think anything of it at first, but looking back on it now, I recognize that sword he used was the exact same one that I made for him." Dark gave a depressed sigh. "Yet another blade I crafted who's owner tried to kill me with it."

"Even so, how long has it been since you've last seen it before then?" Celestia gently asked.

"Since the day Light left with the others, but that wasn't the only source of evidence I overlooked. When he blinded me, he flared his wings, just like how Light would."

"And now he's applied that to his horn's magic," Luna added.

"Looks like it." Dark sighed to himself. "But..."

"But?" Twilight parroted.

"There's still more."

"Like what?" Luna asked.

"If he survived and made it through Inferno's blockade, then why didn't he go get help like he was suppose to? If he would've gone and gotten us help, then Stonewall would've been saved instead of becoming a giant graveyard."

"I... cannot answer that..."

Dark's gaze fell once again. "There's also the matter of him trying to kill Aurora. If the other Scaleless Dragons find out about this, there'll be no way in Tartarus that he'll escape this alive."

"It does make things more difficult for him," Celestia admitted. "He deliberately tried to kill both you and Aurora. If he would've succeeded in either of those ventures, then he would've doomed the world."

"And the only reason why he didn't kill Aurora was because he probably didn't know of her ability to be reborn," Luna added.

"... I suppose," Dark sighed.

"As for him not finding your village help," Twilight softly began, "there's only one pony who can answer that."

"Yeah, but by this point, he's as likely to try killing me again as he is to speak to me."

Twilight flinched. "Perhaps, but if he did, then what do you think would happen?"

"Everypony in the village would've been saved."

"Yes, but then you probably never would've meet Nocturne."

"Considering that he's the one who killed everypony-"

"And the one who led you on the path to meeting us," Twilight gently interrupted, smiling as she saw Dark's eye raise. "I still feel horrible about what he did to everypony in Stonewall, and for how Light up and abandoned everypony, but if that never happened, then we probably would've never have met you. We wouldn't of had you as our friend, Shining would still have a vendetta with kirins, Soul would've died in the Everfree Forest from those timberwolves, and I never would've had the chance to fall in love with you."

A small smile graced Dark's lips as he leaned his head against Twilight's. "Yeah... you're right about that. So... what do I do now?"

"Like Celestia said," Twilight continued, "for now, you should try to get some rest... and maybe get something to eat as well. I bet you must be pretty hungry after going so long without anything to eat."

"Sorry, Twilight, but I don't really have much of an appetite right now."

"Alright." A smile formed on Twilight's muzzle as she snuggled her cheek up against Dark's. "And you know, we're going to be pretty busy when we get back home."

"We are?"

"Yes, we are, or have you already forgotten?"

As Dark thought about it for a moment, he caught a glint of light reflecting from Twilight's ring. Remembering of what's to come in his future, for the first time since yesterday, Dark felt a genuine smile forming. Seeing her smile in return, Dark craned his neck around and shared an affectionate kiss with Twilight. Sliding an arm around her, Dark pulled her off of him and brought her to lay down beside him to cuddle with, all the while without separating their lips. Now holding her as she held him, Dark continued their kiss a while longer before pulling away. And while the pain from Light's actions still lingered fresh in his mind, Dark didn't feel quite as dragged down as he began to feel genuinely happy again.

"You're right, we will have a lot to do," Dark agreed. Lowering his claw, he rested it over their growing foal. "We'll have to get a baby room ready. Get it foal-proofed, install some extra-soft carpeting, a crib, some quilts, baby toys-"

"Don't forget about the changing station and diapers," Twilight eagerly added.

"Oh, yes," Dark sarcastically chuckled, "I'll so be looking forward to changing stinky diapers again."

Twilight laughed, both for Dark's sarcasm about changing dirty baby diapers, and that Dark seemed to be feeling better.

"And don't forget about the wedding," she reminded him. "We'll need to talk to Pinkie and the Cakes about the wedding cake, select my bridesmaids and your groomsstallions, talk to Rarity about fitting me for a wedding dress, make a list of ponies who we want attending-"

"Considering that I don't really know that many ponies, it shouldn't be all that long," Dark said, getting a playful bop on the nose from Twilight.

"It'll be fine. Now, what else will we need...?"

"Well, if we're going to have a guest list, we'll be needing invitations. Hmmm... we'll also need to figure out the catering. My bet is that Applejack would want dibs on that."

"We're also going to need somepony to preside over the wedding ceremony."

"Ahem."

Hearing a clearing of the throat above them, Dark and Twilight remembered that they weren't alone and looked up to see both Celestia and Luna happily smiling at them. Both for Dark's improved mood, and for how eager they were for their upcoming wedding and parenthood.

"If it's alright with you two, perhaps I could do it?" Celestia offered.

Twilight's face lit up. "You would?"

She gave her a soft smile and nod. "It would be a pleasure and honor to wed you two."

Letting go of him, Twilight and Dark both sat up before pulling Celestia into a thankful hug.

"I would love for you to, Celestia," Twilight happily answered.

"Thank you, Twilight. And if you two are willing, we can hold it in Canterlot like with Cadence and Shining Armor. After all, it will be a royal wedding."

"I'm alright with it if Dark is."

Dark shrugged. "If Twilight's alright with it, then so am I."

"So, Dark," Luna spoke, "I know that you said that you didn't know of many ponies, but surely you know of some that you would like to have invited."

Dark thought it over for a minute or two before nodding, now having a few ponies in mind.

"I told Gem Cutter that I would personally invite her to our wedding after I proposed to Twilight."

"And who would she be?"

"She's the one who made Twilight's necklace and ring."

"In that case, I shall be looking forward to meeting with her. I find her craftsponyship with the necklace and ring to be very well done. Perhaps she would be willing to take a request from me?"

"I'm sure she would be more than happy to, Luna," Dark smiled.

"Anypony else you can think of?" Twilight inquired.

"Mr. Fancy Pants and Miss Fleur De Lis. They've supported us since our relationship was revealed to the public, and after talking to them during the Hearth's Warming Eve Ball, I think that they should get an invitation."

"A wise choice," Luna approved. "Those two are respected members of the Canterlot Elite, and should greatly improve your standing with them if you two were to invite them. So, anypony else?"

"Besides a few ponies from Ponyville, I'll have to go back through the letters we received. I remember a few of them showed their support to us as well, and I would like to thank them by inviting them too. Oh, also Captain Gray Diamond, and Lieutenants Saph, Emerald Lance, and Flash Sentry."

"You want Flash to come too?" Twilight questioned, unaware of Celestia and Luna wincing slightly.

"You said he was your friend, right? I just thought that you would want him there as well."

"... we'll talk about it," she hesitantly said. "So, who else should we invite?"

Dark thought about it for another moment. "Well, the Scaleless Dragons are technically my family, so they should be invited by default, along with all of your family members, our friends, and of course, Luna. I would also add Celestia to that, but since she'll be presiding over the ceremony, she doesn't count."

"Awww, I don't get counted in?" Celestia playfully pouted, causing the others to laugh before Dark had a few more ponies, or rather, people, in mind.

"Hey, what about our other friends? You know, from across the portal?"

Now it was Twilight's turn to think this over. While she did want to have all of her friends there, with them there, there could be some complications.

"... that might be kinda tricky," she answered. "While Sunset Shimmer would be alright, it might be confusing if there was suddenly two of our friends attending the wedding. Not to mention there would also be another me there."

"Personally, I hope they come," Celestia spoke. "It would be nice to see Sunset Shimmer again after so long."

"Well, if you want, they'll be coming over pretty soon for a visit."

"What? When?" Dark excitedly asked, causing Twilight to giggle.

"Looking forward to seeing them again?"

"Hey, I'll bet that you are too. And yes. While they may be otherworldly versions of our friends, they're still independent from them in their own ways."

"Is it a wise decision to have duplicates of the Elements of Harmony in the same world?" Luna questioned.

"That's why we're doing it here instead of their world," Twilight explained. "If something magical happens here, then we'll be able to fix it. But if it happened in their world, then we wouldn't have any magic to help us contain and fix it. And don't worry, I'll have a few contingency plans set just incase."

"Hmmm... very well then, Twilight," Luna agreed with a hint of skepticism. "I shall trust you in taking the necessary precautions for when they-"

Luna was cut off by the sound of something growling loudly. Looking at its source, she saw Dark with an embarrassed look while Twilight and Celestia looking knowingly at him.

"Looks like somepony's feeling better enough to be hungry after all," Luna teased with a smug look.

Dark looked down to hide his face. "I guess so."

With a nod, Celestia rose from her spot on the bed and hopped off before stretching her limbs from their stiffness.

"In that case, why don't we go grab something to eat?" she suggested. "The others were rather down when they heard about... you know who. It would be good for them to see you feeling all better about it... you are feeling better and not just trying to act like it, right?"

"Yeah, I'm feeling better. Not quite good yet, but I'm starting to feel better."

Staring at him, Celestia could see that while his eyes still held a great sorrow in them, the happiness he was starting to show on his face was genuine. Giving him a nod, she walked over to the table in the room and levitated her royal regalia that she'd left on it. Putting them back on, she kept her eyes on Dark and Twilight as they both got off of the bed before Twilight ushered Dark to the bathroom to make himself more presentable.

"You think he'll be alright, Tia?" Luna asked her as she too stood by the table and donned her regalia. "I know he said that he's feeling better, but he still has that look of hurt in his eyes, so surely he can't be over it already."

"You're right, Luna, he's far from being alright," she said before giving a sad smile. "It will take him some time to come to terms with it, but he won't be alone. As long as Twilight is there for him, he'll make it through this."

After about ten minutes of cleaning himself up, Dark came out of the bathroom fresh from the shower. With the steam still wafting off of him, Dark let out a relaxed breath as he felt fresh.

"Much better," he sighed before quickly finding Twilight alongside him.

"All set then?" she asked.

"Yeah. Sorry that I took so long."

"It's fine, now let's go. I want to have some more of that summer sausage from this morning."

Dark licked his lips as he followed Twilight, Luna, and Celestia out of their room.

"... huh... I thought your lips tasted different and familiar. I take it that it's the food cravings again?"

"Yeah," she sighed. "I've already caused some ponies some discomfort from them seeing me eating meat."

"While it's true that we ponies very rarely eat any meat, a long time ago we used to," Luna said.

"But," Celestia continued for her, "over the course of time, the practice became seen as barbaric, and ponies began migrating away from adding meat to their diet. However, with your condition, an exception can be made for it."

"Tell us, Twilight, how comfortable are you with eating meat?"

"Well, while I wasn't very fond with the idea at first, I don't really find it that bad right now," she answered. "I'm starting to get used to the thought of eating meat, just as long as it's not from anything sapient."

"Oh?" Celestia questioned. "And what about beef and other steaks from the cows?"

"... that's difficult to answer. While I know that there's beef in summer sausage, I also know of a few cows living near Ponyville that are friends with Applejack."

"If you want, we can have the gryphons send shipments of them to you. And if anypony asks about it and you want to keep your food craving a secret from everypony, you could just say that the meat's for Dark, Pyre, and Spike."

"Sounds like a good excuse," Dark thought out loud.

"It does," Twilight agreed, "but I don't want to have to lie to everypony like that."

"Then don't. If anypony asks, just remind them about Spike and I, and let them figure the rest out. That way, you won't technically be lying to them."

Twilight shook her head with a smile. "Thank you, Dark, but I can't. As a princess, I can't just lie to everypony like that. If I did, ponies would stop believing me. And what if we go out for dinner one night and I suddenly have a craving for meat again?"

"... yeaaahhh, that would cause a problem," Dark slowly agreed before giving a defeated sigh. "Alright, we'll do it your way."

Twilight leaned up against Dark and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you."

Continuing their walk, they soon came upon the doors to the dining hall and entered. Once they went inside, all eyes fell on them, and before they knew it, Dark found himself in the middle of a group hug.

"Uhh, what's going on here?" Dark asked.

"We found out who your brother was at the meatin', Dark," Applejack answered him. "Ah'm sorry about Light."

"It's.... fine, Applejack."

"No it ain't. Ta have your own kin act like that ta ya... it just ain't right or fair of him."

Dark sighed with a hint of sadness as he let himself melt into their group hug. A few minutes later, they let him go and retook their seats while Dark, Twilight, Celestia, and Luna took theirs. With them sat down, Dark looked over to his side to see Soul looking sadly at him before hopping onto Dark's lap and hugging him.

"I'm sorry, too," he said.

"Hey, it's alright, Soul, I'll be fine," Dark assured.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm actually feeling better."

"Maybe, but I can tell that you're still very, very sad and hurt about it."

"It... might take me some time, but I'll get better." While Soul was right, Dark didn't want it to show. So, thinking back to what he and Twilight talked about, he let those thoughts fill him before he started talking to Soul again. "But let's forget about that for now. Right now, let's try to enjoy the rest of our stay up here before we go home to Ponyville. After all, when we get back, we're gonna to have to get ready for when your baby brother or sister arrives."

Instantly, Soul's face lit up as he was reminded that he would be becoming a big brother. Seeing him in a better mood, Dark ruffled Soul's mane and sat him back in his chair before filling his plate with the food laid out before them on the table.

"So, Twilight," Rarity spoke, "have you or Dark talked about your upcoming wedding yet?"

"Actually, we have," Twilight happily answered. "I was hoping that we could talk to you and the others after lunch about it."


Later that day, Dark and Twilight sat down with their friends to ask for their parts in the wedding during the party that Pinkie had thrown them in celebration for their upcoming engagement. And while everypony eagerly agreed in their roles, none were more excited than Rarity with having the chance to make Twilight's wedding dress. With everypony having their assigned jobs, Twilight and Dark went to visit her family in Cadence's and Shining's suite. While there, Cadence and Velvet took the opportunity to squee in delight of Twilight's engagement to make up for last night.

While Twilight was busy with her mom and sister-in-law, Dark was left with Shining and Night, who were looking over Skyla. Knowing about Dark's internal struggles, Shining offered for Dark to foalsit Skyla for a while in hopes of making him feel better. Happy to keep an eye on her, Dark accepted, but not without taking Shining by surprise by asking him to be his best stallion. Despite Shining feeling a bit hesitant at first considering their past, he felt a little more comfortable with it once Dark explained to him that it's exactly because of how far they've come that he wanted Shining by his side during the wedding. Accepting in the end, Shining shared a quick bro hug with Dark before leaving him with Skyla while he and Night went out.

Now having the responsibility of watching over Skyla, Dark watched her as she played with her toys, eventually joining in when she rolled a ball over to him. After some time had passed watching her, playing games with her, and playing Peek-a-boo, Dark found himself laughing happily with his thoughts about his brother being temporarily put out of mind.

So busy having fun they were having that it wasn't until a small and cute yawn reached Dark's ears that it was brought to an end. Seeing her tiredly wiping her eyes, Dark picked Skyla up in his arms and brought her over to her crib in Cadence's and Shining's bedroom where he laid her to sleep. Tucking her in, Dark gave her a little nuzzle, earning him a tired coo before he began to softly sing her one of the lullaby's his mom used to sing to him. As he continued to sing with his focus solely on her, Dark was unaware of the small audience behind him as they watched in silence before stepping out and closing the door.

"I'm glad to see he's doing so much better," Cadence commented.

"Yeah," Twilight smiled. "But, then again, I suppose foals have that effect on ponies."

"Yes, they do," Velvet agreed. Moments later, she turned and pulled Twilight in for a hug. "He's going to make a great father for your foal, Twilight."

"If his interactions with Skyla are any indication, then I'm sure he will. Oh, speaking of foals," Twilight turned to Cadence, "Cadence, do you by chance still have-"

"A First-Time Parent's Guide On Parenthood?" she guessed with a knowing smirk. "It's on the bookshelf, right where we left it. And yes, you can borrow it."

Letting go of her mom, Twilight hugged Cadence. "Thank you. I promise to return it when we're done using it."

"Thanks, Twilight, but you might want to keep it for a while. At least, until after the first few months of your foal being born. Celestia knows Shiny and I needed it quite a few times after Skyla came along. And don't feel shy about asking Shiny or me for any help if you need it."

"Your father and I will be right here if you need anything too, sweetie," Velvet added.

"We will, mom, Cadence," Twilight answered, reaching a hoof around Velvet and pulling her into a hug with her and Cadence.

A few moments later, they heard the door quietly open with Dark walking out of the bedroom and just as quietly closing it.

"So?" Cadence questioned.

"She's asleep," Dark replied with a yawn.

"Looks like she's not the only one who's tired."

"You can thank her for that. If I would've stayed with her any longer, then I probably would've fallen asleep right there with her."

"Give it about a year and you can, but with your own foal."

"Heh, yeah, I guess so," he said.

Looking across them, Dark's eyes suddenly darted away nervously from the look Velvet was giving him. Seeing this, Velvet shook her head and sighed before walking up to Dark and pulling him into a hug.

"Now, now, now. There'll be none of that from my future son-in-law," she told him.

"Yes, mo- I mean, yes, Velvet," Dark corrected himself, earning him a giggle from the others and Velvet. "Sorry about that."

"It's quite fine, dear. I figure that you may still have some reluctance with... you know, but if you want to call me that, then you go right on ahead, I'm perfectly fine with it."

"A-Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am."

Dark relaxed himself against Velvet and draped an arm over her in a return hug.

"Thank you... mom."

"You're most welcome," Velvet said with a smile. Moments later, that smile turned to a small grin. "You know, as much as Shining loves Twilight as a little sister, he always did want a little brother to pick on and play with. Guess he finally gets to have one."

Dark chuckled. "I suppose so."

"Plus, you'll also have me as your sister, and Skyla as your niece too," Cadence chimed.

"And don't forget about me," Twilight added with a nuzzle. "Or should I say us?"

Dark chucked and returned Twilight's nuzzle while draping a wing over her. "Like I could forget about you and our baby."

"Well, you did this morning, but I guess I can let that one slide."

After a minute of them all huddled together, they moved towards the couches where they talked about Dark's and Twilight's plans for their wedding and foal. While they managed to answer most of their questions about the wedding, there was plenty to think about for the baby. Mentioning a few things, Twilight conjured her a scroll with an inkpot and quill and began adding to the list of what they would need, like bottles, a baby carriage, some formula and other baby foods, and pacifiers to name a few. A good half-hour later of talking about their future, the doors to the room opened with Shining and Night slightly panting for breath.

"Shiny? Is something wrong?" Cadence asked.

"Ehhh, maybe?" Shining unsurely answered.

"What is it?" Twilight asked.

"Well, Pyre's back, but he's not alone. They're waiting for us in the throne room to talk to us, Princesses Celestia and Luna, and Dark."

"This can't be good if he's wanting all of us," Dark muttered.

With a sigh, Cadence stood up from her spot. "Alright, let's go then. Mom? Dad? Sorry to ask, but could you look over Skyla while we're dealing with this?"

"Of course, dear," Velvet smiled. "We'll be more than happy to watch over her."

"Thank you." With Dark and Twilight behind her, Cadence walked out with Shining. "I suppose we better get Aunty Celestia and Luna first."

"Actually, I already did," Shining told her, earning him a nuzzle from Cadence.

"I knew there was a reason I married you other than your good looks and personality."

"Really?" Shining questioned with a sly grin. "I thought it was because of my massive-"

"Nope! Nope! Nope!" Twilight interrupted. "I don't wanna hear it!"

"Yeah, Shining, really," Dark agreed before a sly grin of his own formed. "Besides, I bet mine's bigger than yours."

Hearing a lack of response, Dark turned around to see Twilight, Cadence, and Shining all standing still with heavy blushes on their faces.

"What?" he innocently asked. "Don't tell me that you though that I use big weapons to compensate for something. If anything, they reflect what I've got. Just ask Twilight."

As Dark continued along as though he did nothing wrong, Twilight couldn't think that her face could get any hotter.

Did he really have to say that in front of them?! she mentally shouted as her cheeks burned. ... then again, he isn't wrong either.

"Twilight?"

Twilight slowly turned her head around to see Cadence and Shining looking at her with a variety of mixed expressions.

"Y-Yes, Cadence?" Twilight nervously asked.

"What Dark said... well..."

"He was joking, right?" Shining asked skeptically.

"... uuuhhhhhh... we should get going! Can't keep Pyre and the others waiting."

Snapping herself attention back ahead of her, Twilight hastily made her way down the halls. As she turned the corner out of Cadence's and Shining's sight, they both looked at each other with matching faces before hearing a smack echoing across the walls.


Dark and Twilight continued to the doors to the throne room with the former rubbing the sore spot on the back of his head.

"You didn't have to whack me like that," he grumbled.

"After what you did back there, you deserved it," Twilight countered.

"Okay, in my defense, it wasn't my fault. Shining should've known what he was getting into when he started going there."

"Still, you shouldn't have done that in front of them... but, if you find yourself in a spot like that again and have to, then could you please not use my name?"

"Alright." Dark retreated his claw from the back of his head. "By the way, where are Shining and Cadence?"

Twilight looked down the hall they came from. "Huh. That's weird. They should've been here a while- oh, there they are."

Following her gaze, Dark saw Cadence and Shining turn the corner. "There you two are. What took you so long?"

Shining cleared his throat. "Well, thanks to you, Dark, we had to take a little longer coming here for our blushes to die down."

Dark shrugged. "Just remember that you're the one who started this."

"Alright, that's enough you two," Cadence intervened. "If you want, you two can fight about that later, but for now, we need to find out what Pyre wants and who these guests he'd brought are."

Not waiting to hear another word, Cadence approached the doors again before a guard posted at each side opened it for her. And though they were silent when she and Twilight passed, they both quietly snickered when Dark and Shining walked past. Ignoring them, they walked in to see Celestia, Luna, Pyre in his shrunken height, and three others, one of whom was holding an egg with rainbow-colored waves dancing across it in her claws. With a smile, Dark identified the three Scaleless Dragons as Aques, Fissure, Aero, and Aurora's egg.

"There you are!"

Before Dark or Twilight could react, they both found themselves wrapped up as Aero gently coiled her body around them and hugged them both.

"I can't believe it!" she joyfully squeed. "You're having a hatchling and are getting married! Ooh! Can we come?!"

Dark chuckled as he tried his best to hug her back. "Considering that you and the others are technically my siblings, I would think that it would be a guarantee."

With another squee, Aero hugged them a little tighter until a clearing of the throat caught her attention.

"Aero, dear, I understand that you're excited to see Dark again and about the news, but could you let them go?" Aques asked, her voice smooth, wise, and motherly.

"Oh, alright, sorry," she meekly apologized, unwrapping herself and letting Dark and Twilight back down.

With them standing on their hooves again, Dark and Twilight were greeted with the sight of the other two standing before them. Now having a better look at them, Dark could see Aques' ocean-blue body was sleek like Aero's, her eyes were a sea-green, but most noticeably was that she had fins running from the base of her light-blue hair, and down her back until it ended at her tail. Fissure on the other hoof, was bulky and opted to walk on all fours. His hide also seemed to be made completely of rock instead of fur like the others, along with his eyes which appeared to be rubies, much like how Pyre mentioned them once before.

"Hello, Dark, Princess Twilight. My name is Aques, Lady of Water," she introduced. "I'm sorry for not speaking to you sooner during that stallion's trial, but we were only there to observe you, not to talk. And the fact that you're our youngest sibling makes me all the more sorry."

"That's alright," Dark replied. "It probably wasn't the best time anyway. Besides, I was still kinda upset with Inferno."

"Thank you."

Twilight took a few steps forward and extended a hoof. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Lady Aques."

Aques understood the gesture and met her hoof with her claw. "The pleasure is all mine, sister."

Twilight blushed and looked away. "T-Thank you."

Aques gave a small laugh. "No need to be so shy about it, my dear. And please, you're practically family, so there's no need for such formalities."

Twilight nodded. "In that case, you don't need to call me Princess." Her gaze fell upon the egg she was holding. "Um, sorry to ask, but that egg..."

"It's Aurora," the one next to her spoke, his voice low and rumbly. "Fissure, Lord of Earth."

"I'm sorry about our brother," Aero apologized floating along side them. "Fissure doesn't speak nearly as much as the rest of us."

"It's alright," Dark dismissed. "Just as long as I can talk to him, it'll be fine."

"Good," Fissure nodded.

"Sorry, but back to the egg," Twilight redirected. "Fissure, you said that this egg is Aurora?"

"Yes."

Twilight eyed the egg out in Aques' hold, and before she knew it, she found herself staring. Snapping herself out of it, she blinked and looked to them with an apologetic look.

"Sorry about that."

"It's fine, Twilight," Aques dismissed. "Actually, would you like to hold her egg?"

Though Twilight was ecstatic at the opportunity, she was also nervous. "Are you sure?"

"I am, and I know that out of all of us, she'd probably like you the most. Besides, you'll want to practice holding an egg for when you have yours."

"You know that we don't know if its an egg or not yet, right?" Dark questioned.

"Regardless, it's good for her to have some practice, just incase. Isn't that right, Twilight?"

Twilight blushed heavily as she meekly nodded. Taking the egg with her magic, she sat down and placed it on her lap. With its colors flowing along its surface, Twilight gently stroked the egg as she remembered Spike's egg when she first saw it. With the egg being a little over a foot tall, she found herself hugging it and draping her wings over it to keep it warm. As Twilight held the egg close, a light began to show from it, causing her to jerk her head back in surprise. But, apart from the comfortable warmth, Twilight felt nothing dangerous from it.

"Seems like she likes you," Aques commented with a smile.

"How can you tell?" Twilight wondered.

"She may be confined to an egg, but she can still hear and sense what's going on around her." Aques paused when she got strange looks from Dark and the ponies. "This isn't the first time this has happened to her, and she told us what it was like inside an egg, since she still retains her memories."

"So she's alright with what I'm doing?"

"She is," Aero agreed. As she continued to hover and watch, her smile grew as a light began to show from both Aurora's egg, and now Twilight's belly. "And it looks like she likes your hatchling too. Then again, none of us have ever had any children before, so being an aunt or uncle will be new and kinda exciting for us."

Smiling, Twilight leaned down and began to gently nuzzle the egg.

"Thank you, Aurora," she whispered, eliciting another glow from the egg.

"As sweet at this is," Pyre interrupted, "we still have stuff to talk about."

Aero huffed and crossed her arms. "Did you really have to interrupt such a sweet moment? I mean, how often is it that Aurora blesses an unborn baby?"

"Still, we have important things to talk about." Pyre's gaze fell upon Dark. "Meaning your brother, Dark."

Dark's eyes widened in worry. Crap, he knows!

"Dark," Aques spoke, placing a claw on his shoulder, "I'm sorry, but we need to discuss how to go about him."

While Dark wanted to protest, he found himself lacking the words or strength to. Feeling the emotions from earlier return, Dark reluctantly nodded and moved to take a seat at the table from yesterday with his head lowered. Soon after he sat himself down, he heard Twilight move her seat cushion beside his before feeling her sitting next to him and leaning up against him with Aurora's egg sitting on her lap. With her wing draped across his back in a hug, Dark leaned into Twilight as she started to nuzzle him supporting and comfortingly.

"Now then," Celestia began after she and the others got seated, "for Dark's sake, why don't we try to make this short?"

"I take it that he hasn't been handling this very well?" Pyre guessed.

"No, he hasn't," Twilight answered. "It wasn't until we started talking about our foal and the wedding that he started getting better, and it seemed like it was pretty much forgotten when he was playing with Skyla."

"Who?" Aques questioned.

"The baby pony I told you about when I went to visit Dark during the winter, remember?" Aero reminded.

"Ah, yes."

"Anyway," Twilight continued, "Dark hasn't been taking it very well, considering... you know."

"It's to be expected," Fissure said, getting a nod from the others.

"But that doesn't change the fact that he aligned himself with Sombra," Luna spoke before levitating a black feather in a glass jar and setting it on the table. "Speaking of him, I have the test results from this feather Dark found in him."

"Don't you mean on him?" Aero corrected.

"No. According to Dark, when Sombra was defeated, he found this feather inside Sombra's ribcage."

"What? Why would a feather be in a pony's chest?"

"We don't know, but the real question is what this feather is exactly."

"Isn't it just a feather?"

Luna shook her head. "According to the test results, there's nothing."

Twilight's ears perked up. "What do you mean 'nothing'?"

"Exactly that. What we have here is indeed a feather, but it lacks anything, like a void of some kind."

"Can I see the test results?"

With a nod, Luna levitated the papers over to Twilight. Taking them and looking them over with a scrutinizing eye, she began to swiftly read through them. It took her a minute until she'd read it through, but was left confused and read it over again. After the third time, she looked back up to Luna.

"There must be some kind of mistake," Twilight said.

"That's what I said," Luna agreed. "However, the ponies who ran the tests did so multiple times with each ending with the same result."

"Maybe they're wrong?"

"Twilight," Shining spoke, "the Crystal Empire's scientists are rarely wrong, and if they redid the tests and kept coming up with the same results, then that's what it is."

"But that can't be!" she exclaimed. "These results say that this feather has no organic or inorganic components at all! By all rights, this thing shouldn't even exist!"

"It is strange," Celestia commented in thought. "Perhaps Discord might know of it. After all, when it comes to unexplainable things, he would probably be best to answer them."

Pyre huffed and folded his arms. "If so, then why can't he explain that pink terror?"

"Seems like nopony can explain Pinkie Pie," Luna said. "But back to what we were originally talking about, we'll keep the feather locked up for Discord to take a look at."

"We can keep it here in the vault if you want?" Cadence offered.

"Thank you, Cadence. Now, back to the topic of Light Wing. How is it that you know about Dark's brother?"

"Pyre told us on our way here," Aero answered her. "When I heard Sombra's voice on the winds, I told Fissure and Aques, and we took Aurora's egg and made for here. We were just about to come to the shoreline when we saw Pyre coming towards us. He explained the rest on the way here."

"That explains why Pyre got back sooner than expected, but again, how do you know about Light?"

"That was me," Fissure spoke. "Rin called me about Light Wing."

"You mean Rin as in the Dragon Counsel Elder?" Twilight remembered, gaining a nod from him.

"Yes. He saw Light speak with Inferno."

"But why would he be involved with him?" Celestia wondered.

"Don't know, but while aligned, Rin said they didn't sound too friendly."

"Sounds like their alliance is rather unsteady," Shining commented.

"Yes. Inferno also mentioned having sent a few dragons on some mission. They should be close to Equestria by now, if not already here."

"You don't believe that Inferno is preparing for war, do you?" Cadence unsurely asked. "After all, we just got done with Sombra, which, by the way, I haven't thanked you for yet, Dark."

"Hmm?" Dark mumbled, his mind still on his brother aligning himself with Inferno.

"You've revived many of our troops last night. If it weren't for you, our forces would've fallen, and the Crystal Empire would've been overrun. So thank you, for everything that you've done for us. Shiny and I will never forget it, and neither will the crystal guard."

"Uh... you're welcome," he replied, surprised by her words and lightening his mood a little bit to where he was paying more attention.

"As true as Cadence's words are about your part, Dark," Celestia spoke, "she may also be right about Inferno preparing for war."

"Could Equestria even handle it?" Twilight unsurely asked.

"We have plenty of resources to support a long-time war if we need to, but I would prefer to avoid it all together."

"We shall need to send an ambassador to negotiate with them," Luna voiced with a small smile. "And I might know just the ponies to send."

Dark's eyes narrowed when he saw her looking directly at him and Twilight.

"No."

Luna blinked. "Pardon?"

"We wouldn't be good picks for going."

"Why not?" Twilight questioned. "I wouldn't mind finally having a chance to act as a representative of Equestria to a foreign nation, especially if it's to maintain peace between us and the Dragon Kingdom."

"It's because I don't want to endanger you, Twilight."

Twilight frowned. "It's because I'm pregnant, isn't it?"

"It's not just that this time, Twilight. They've had a target on my back for years now. What do you think would happen if negotiations fell through and they find out that we're not only engaged, but that you're also carrying my foal with you? They may not wait for us to leave before targeting you and the baby to get to me."

"While you make a fair and valid point, Dark," Aques spoke, "I doubt that you two will have to worry about that."

Dark looked at her in surprise. "What? Why wouldn't I worry about my fiancé and unborn child being targeted by Inferno?!"

"Because, while Inferno may hate you and have wanted you dead, he knows better than to risk the wrath of a Scaleless Dragon, let alone five of us. And yes, I'm including you as one of us Scaleless Dragons, Dark."

"And if he threatens one of us, he'll have to deal with all of us," Aero added.

"That's why I've assembled the others," Pyre spoke. "Since both you and Aurora were attacked by the same pony, we've gathered to watch over you two and to take care of him."

Dark glared at Pyre upon hearing that last part. "I hope you're not suggesting what I think you are."

Celestia gave Dark a sad and almost pleading look. "Dark, while I understand that you still care for Light, you need to look at all that he's done."

"And before you even think about it," Luna quickly spoke, "no, I never intended on harming Equestria as Nightmare Moon. When I wanted eternal night, plans had been made that would sustain Equestria during the never-ending night. Ponies and vegetation wouldn't wither or die from the cold, but instead would have thrived. Of course, that was all lost after my banishment, and it was my top scientists that had created them, so I can't recreate any of it."

"... alright, so you would've kept Equestria alive," Dark grumbled. "But Light-"

"Has threatened more than you may know," Aques said. "No apprentice is taken on without them first knowing everything there is to know about us. That was one of the first things we made clear if we were to take on one before Sombra betrayed Nocturne."

She's right, Nocturne commented from within Dark's mind. Among the first five things they were to learn, that was one of them.

Thanks for telling me this now after what's happened, Dark bitterly thought. By the way, you want me to let you out to talk with them?

No, and don't you dare pull another stunt like with what you did with Pyre.

Don't worry, I'm not even in the mood for trying it.

Good... and hey, sorry about your brother.

With his mental chat with Nocturne over with, Dark returned his attention back to the others. "So... what does this mean about Light?"

"It means that your brother, Dark, knew what he was doing. He knew that we kept the balance of this world in check, and yet he still tried to kill Aurora. Thankfully, it looks like he didn't know about her ability to be reborn as an egg. But don't you see, Dark? Without Aurora, there's no more new life being born. Without me, the seas will flood the land before the ice freezes over it."

"Without me, the skies will be filled with lightning, and tornadoes and hurricanes will dance across the world," Aero said.

"Without me, fire will rain down from above while the world is burnt to ashes," Pyre voiced.

"The earth shall shatter and fall apart should I die," Fissure rumbled.

All eyes were on Dark now and he sighed. "And without me, the dead shall rise and plague the land in undeath."

"Now you see?" Celestia asked, getting a small nod from Dark. With a sympathetic look, Celestia got up and walked over so she could place a comforting hoof over his shoulder. "Dark, if there was any way that we could prevent Light's fate, then I would do so in a heartbeat. But, if he's deliberately threatening the balance of the world, then I can't afford to take any risks."

"Which brings us to this," Pyre said before taking in a deep breath. "You may not want to hear this, Dark, but it will have to be put to a vote. And while a decision like this would normally be between just us Scaleless Dragons, considering how close you are to these ponies and that the one responsible is a pony as well, they should get a say in this."

Dark was hesitant, but had a uneasy feeling at where this was going to lead.

"And... that would be?"

Pyre frowned. "A vote for the death of Light Wing."

"But I thought that the death sentence was banned in Equestria?"

"It is," Celestia spoke, "but this isn't a death sentence. And besides, he's not just a dangerous threat to Equestria, but to the whole world. He's already made several attempts at not only you, but the rest of us as well, or have you forgotten when he personally led his fleet of manticores and army of timberwolves to attack Twilight's castle with the intent of attacking her?"

Dark winced as those memories returned.

"I'm sorry, Dark, but like I said, if there was another way, then I would take it. But, for the sake of my little ponies, and for every other creature on this world, my vote is yes."

"Yes," Pyre voiced.

"Yes," Fissure agreed.

"I'm sorry too, Dark," Aero apologetically said, "but I have to agree with them."

"As do I, Dark," Aques nodded.

Dark looked hopefully to Luna, who's gaze fell.

"I apologize for this," she regretfully began, "but while I do empathize with Light, he's far more dangerous than what I ever was as Nightmare Moon."

"I have to say yes," Shining sighed. "Don't take this the wrong way, Dark. While I have grown to like you, Light's like Sombra, and I can't risk having another pony like him wandering around freely."

"And I have to agree with Shiny," Cadence agreed, though showing that she wished that they didn't have to.

Dark's eyes fell upon Twilight, who nervously began petting Aurora's egg. Seeing how nervous she was, Dark gave a sigh and placed a claw on her shoulder.

"Twilight?"

"Y-Yes?" she nervously answered.

"It's alright," Dark simply said.

"What is?"

"I see how uncomfortable this is making you. If you're worried about your answer, then don't. It won't change how I feel about you or see you. All I want is your honest opinion on this."

Twilight looked away with guilt. "Dark... you know that I love you, but..." Twilight sighed and lowered herself. "I know that he's your brother and that you still hope that he'll come around, but I don't want to risk losing you to him again. It was bad enough when he sent you away to the other world, but things are different now."

Twilight sniffled and wiped a tear from her eyes.

"I don't want to risk you dying to Light and having me raise our child alone in a world of undead."

Not wanting to see Twilight sad like this, Dark stretched his wing around her and pulled her in for a hug. Wrapping his arms around her, Dark began to gently and reassuringly nuzzle her.

"Thank you, Twilight," he whispered. "Please, don't feel bad about being honest with me. And don't worry, I promise I won't leave you alone like that."

Feeling her nod against him, Dark looked up to face the others. "You all know where I stand on this. But, if Light is to... you know, then could I ask a favor?"

"Of course, Dark," Celestia sadly smiled. "What is it that you wish?"

"Just don't make me the one who has to do it. He's only an apprentice, so he shouldn't be bound by the requirements to die like I am."

"Of course. We would never ask you to do such a thing anyway."

"Thank you, Princess," he thanked, though saddened for Light's fate, he was at least a little happy that he wouldn't have to be the one to carry out his sentence.

"If we're in agreement, then I believe that this meeting is over," Pyre announced, getting a nod from everyone present.

Just as everyone got up to leave, Aero spoke up.

"So, Dark, when do we get to go back with you and the others to Ponyville?" she eagerly asked.

That made Dark pause. "What do you mean?"

"I said that we're here to watch over you and Aurora," Pyre reminded him. "That means that Aero, Aques, and Fissure will be staying with us at the castle in Ponyville. Oh, and Aurora's egg as well. That is, if Twilight will allow for it."

Surprised by his answer, Dark looked at Twilight for hers. And while she was hesitant at first, she surprised Dark when she smiled and nodded.

"It wouldn't hurt to have the extra security," she said. "And besides Spike having some more friendly dragons to talk to, they are also your family, Dark. This will give us a chance to get to know them better." And maybe run a few tests on them too if they're willing.

PreviousChapters Next