• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 620 Views, 64 Comments

Stories of a Shade - ConfettiColored



Ever wonder why Dark Magic is so powerful? Enter the world of a family of outcasts gaining acceptance to find out why...

  • ...
13
 64
 620

Chapter 4

"...Okay, let me get this straight. you need my help 'fixing' the microwave,"

"Ya got dat right, sonny!" replied Granny Smith.

"It's not broken. You have to push the start button," I told her, exasperated. I knew she needed help with all the tech in the house, but this was just sad.

"Oh, sorry, Vortex. I'm not that good with stuff like this," she said.

"No problem. I'll get back to apple bucking now."

So, after that whole fiasco, I went to the east orchard and started kicking the trees with my hind legs, because I apparently wasn't allowed to use my magic to get them off the trees, something about "tradition". After I put the last basket of apples in the pantry, I had a sudden sharp pain in my horn.

"Augh!" I yelped, clutching my head.

"What's wrong, Vortex?" asked Applebloom, making a mad dash to me as I screeched in pain a second time.

"Nothing... just a headache..."

"I'll get you an ice-pack, I bet that'll help," the little filly said worriedly, as AJ and Big Mac came in from the barn and pigpen, respectively.

"Vortex's head is hurting," Applebloom said, handing me an ice pack.

"It's not really my head, it's more my horn. Is there any kind of... I don't know headache, but for a Unicorn's horn?" I asked as I took the ice pack being offered. Applejack pointed out that if there was such a thing as that they wouldn't know, as none of them were Unicorns, which made me feel pretty stupid for asking them. They told me I should go to Twilight's castle and see if Twilight knew anything about it, but I was nervous about that because if anyone would notice my magic disguise, it would be her. Then I remembered that my brother was working at the newly built library there, and he hadn't been run out of town yet. Although, it did raise the question of whether or not it was possible for anyone would be able to see us for who, or more specifically, what we really were. Anyways, I ended up at my destination after reassuring myself that nothing bad would happen and seeing Pinkie Pie walk into Sugarcube Corner. The library was a modest rectange-shaped crystal structure about thirty feet away from the castle. It was built to replace the Golden Oaks Library after Tirek's attack, so naturally Twilight would be the one to run it.

I pushed open the door, only to find an ocean of books on the floor.

"I'll be right with you!" Said what was very clearly Twilight Sparkle, but her voice was stressed. I just assumed she misplaced a quill, and looked in the fiction section for something to catch my eye while waiting for her to come downstairs. I found a Daring Do book and decided to pick it up and start reading, as I had heard great things about the series. I was actually able to finish the whole thing, and when I did I looked up and saw that the sun was down and Luna had brought up the moon. I looked at a clock on the wall to find it was 9:00.

At this point, I decided to just go home and get another ice pack, as the pain hadn't gone away. I made my way to the door, and just as I was about to exit, I was lured back in.

"Hey, wait, come back!"

I turned around to see Twilight standing there, looking exhausted.

"Um, are you okay? You look like someone cast an anti-sleep spell on you," I asked, concerned about her current state.

"I'm fine, I just had to help out my assistant. He wasn't feeling well," She replied, letting out a huge yawn afterwards. "So, I heard you come in earlier, and I'm very sorry for keeping you waiting. What can I help you with?"

I knew it would be polite to just say I would come back tomorrow so she could get the sleep she clearly needed, but my horn ache, I guess you could call it was unbearable at this point, so I just asked her what she knew about something like this. She frowned as I explained my problem, looking like she was thinking about something.

"You'd better come downstairs with me," she said, walking down them quickly.

Now, I don't know what I thought would happen, but this wasn't one of the outcomes I expected. I just shrugged my shoulders and followed her downstairs.

Author's Note:

I know what some of you are thinking about the whole "follow me downstairs" thing, and to that I say no. Get your mind out of the gutter, my fingers are just tired of typing, so I ended the chapter on a cliffhanger. Again, I say, get your mind out of the gutter. It's really messy in there, full of month-old rainwater. If you want a drink, go to the water fountain. Edit: I fixed the continuity error in the chapter. Thanks to BNuts for pointing it out! Go check out the stories he has! I recommend First Gear!