• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 618 Views, 64 Comments

Stories of a Shade - ConfettiColored



Ever wonder why Dark Magic is so powerful? Enter the world of a family of outcasts gaining acceptance to find out why...

  • ...
13
 64
 618

Chapter 2

"What!?" I screamed.

"Yes, I'm sorry Mr. Vortex. We don't have a mechanic here. He left for Manehatten a week ago," said Mayor Mare.

Of course, as soon as I ask for a job at the local fixer-upper's place, he's just left.

"Well, is there any other place I can work?" I asked

"Sure, Sweet Apple Acres is hiring now," the mayor replied, and I sighed in relief.

"Okay, anywhere else?"

"Hmm...nope, no one else is hiring."

"All right, thank you for your help, miss." Said Roam.

I walked out of the town hall and walked to Sweet Apple Acres, wondering what they needed and if I would even be able to help. When I was about halfway there, I decided to take my mind off my job worries by taking in the scenery. This place truly was beautiful, with all the lovely flowers and animals, the delicious food, the nice ponies, and the fact that the sky was almost always a perfect baby blue. Unfortunately, I was so wrapped up in my thoughts, I bumped into someone.

"Darn it! Sorry there, miss," Then I realized who I bumped into, and mentally scolded myself.

Yep, there she was. The pony I was looking for, wanting to ask her for a job, and I walked right into her.

"Ah hell..." I muttered under my breath, so that she couldn't hear me. "Uh, here, lemme help you with that, miss," I said, hoping to clean up my mistake so i might still get the job.

"Thanks, partner," she said, not seeming to mind that I'd bumped into her, for which I was grateful, but I still felt I should apologize.

"Um, sorry for bumping into you miss."

"Ah, no worries, buddy. I'm sure it was an accident," she replied. "Say, now. I don't think I've seen you around these parts before. What's your name?" she asked.

"Vortex, miss," I replied.

"So, where were you headed to before you bumped into me?"

"Oh, well, I was actually headed for Sweet Apple Acres to see if I could earn the job."

"Well, why not come back in say...ten minutes or so to apply, I gotta sell some apples right now."

"Alright, miss."

"Oh, you just call me Applejack."

"Alright, miss - I mean Applejack, I'll see you in ten minutes." And then I walked away and decided to see how many things I could levitate at once with my magic. I figured I should try so I could levitate as many apples of a tree as I could, but that's when I noticed something. In my standard Shade form, I could hold twice as many with the spell as I could in my pony form. I figured that made sense, considering Shades are much more powerful than most ponies, and considering the spell I was born from was cast by the Element of Magic, I was even more powerful than most Shades. Even so, I could hold about 300 things at once with the spell, so I figured I would be fine. Eventually, the time came around for me to go to the job interview. I figured they would need help with just bucking and collecting apples, but they also needed help with keeping all the technology in the house up to code. Good thing stuff like that is right in my area of expertise.

"Well, no worries, I'm the best mechanic you'll ever find," I said to Granny Smith when she asked if I could help keep the technology running.

"Well, then, I think you've got the...Zzz..."

"Oh, Granny... Don't worry, you've got the job, Vortex," Applejack said as her grandmother fell asleep. "Come back tomorrow for your first day,"

"All right, see you then," I replied, before going teleporting back to the camp in the middle of the Everfree. I waited there for about 30 minutes before the other two came back. Artemis got a job at the vet where Fluttershy worked, helping the animals get healthy again, while Roam got a job at Golden Oaks Library.

We told each other about our days, roasted marshmallows over the campfire, as we always do when we're super happy, before going to bed, each of us looking forward to the next day.

Author's Note:

Hello ladies, gentlemen and fellow marionettes! This is now when I post the story! Crickets: Chirp, ch- (I pull out flamethrower) CHIRP AGAIN!!! I DARE YOU!!! (crickets fall silent) All right, good...(sigh) next chapter will have foreshadowing! Keep winding up your music boxes!