• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 1,100 Views, 64 Comments

Fundamentals - FerociousCreation



Throughout her life, Moon Dancer has been the pony to be by herself. Despite having resolved her friendship issue with Twilight Sparkle, the mare still acts the way she once did. That is... until Party Favor came into her life.

  • ...
4
 64
 1,100

Procrastination

Moon Dancer glanced over her notes with quick speed, mostly because of how she didn't like what the words entailed. Still, it was a great start to her research for cutie marks, and Moon Dancer wasn't researching cutie marks when she was using Party Favor as a guinea pig. Thinking it would be not as harmful to test Minuette without her cutie mark, she spoke, “Minuette, can you-”

“-take a picture?” The black lens of Minuette’s camera was shoved in Moon Dancer’s face as the blue unicorn grinned widely.

“Not… yet.” Moon Dancer winced, afraid Minuette would take another picture, flashing that insanely bright camera flash. A shadow moved around the floor, and Moon Dancer looked up to see the stallion flying about the room, his balloon wings buzzing quietly. The moment their eyes met, he took a picture.

“Need something friend?” He saw Minuette crease her brows, but did not look at her and kept his focus on Moon Dancer.

“No,” she shook her head. “Just curious as to… why you are able to fly.” Party Favor opened his mouth to respond, but Moon Dancer interjected, “It’s magic, I know.” I also want to figure out why you two are so quick to snap a picture of me.

“So Minuette, I would like to ask you a favor,” Moon Dancer started. “What I am about to ask you may discomfort you. If it does, you can say no.”

Puffing out her chest, Minuette proudly boasted, “As your old friend, I am willing to assist you in your need of research! I am willing to do anything for you Moon Dancer. Of course, I would love to be able to take pictures of you and I while I do what is needed of me.”

“It would be nice to have pictures of my research, so yes, you may.” Moon Dancer winced, “Just be sure to turn off, or at least dim your flash. I may go blind before I finish one-tenth of my research.”

“Sure thing!” Minuette looked up to give Party Favor a cocky grin, but caught him writing something down on a notepad. When he gave notice to her wondering eyes, the stallion quickly hid it. I need to see what he is writing down… Perhaps I can use my camera to get a simple picture of Party Favor’s notes. Minuette laughed maniacally internally before gazing back at Moon Dancer.

Still hesitant about what she wants to do, Moon Dancer spoke slowly, “I would like to remove your cutie mark to test your abilities without it.”

At once, Minuette glanced at her cutie mark and stared at the hourglass image that clung to her flank. “Will… it hurt?” She looked up at Party Favor, remembering how boastful he was when he realized he was accidentally Moon Dancer’s test subject, wondering if he went through the same experiment.

Turning her attention to Party Favor as well, noticing his bothered expression. “He went through the same test as you are about to partake in. And… it bothered him greatly as the experiment went on.” He nodded, now looking at his own treasured cutie mark, glad it is where it belongs. “I want you…” Moon Dancer continued, her stare back at Minuette, “...to be sure you want to go through with my request. And no, it does not hurt another pony to remove a cutie mark; or at least, from the spell I am about to use doesn’t hurt, according to my notes.”

Silence reigned as Minuette stood in thought, wondering if she should go through with what was asked of her. After a good twenty seconds, she had made up her mind, smiling at her choice. “I am still willing to assist you with your study Moon Dancer. Nothing will tell me otherwise.”

“Alright then.” Moon Dancer gestured to a red armchair with a half smile, still nervous for her friend. “Please take a seat.” Minuette quickly propped herself up, ready for the test. Moon Dancer pushed a simple chair near her friend and sat down, levitating her notebook and writing feather to her. “Party Favor.”

“Yes?” Party Favor flew down beside both mares, wondering why he was summoned.

“If you would like,” Moon Dancer smiled at the stallion, “would you take a picture of Minuette and I as we talk? You know, for memory sake.”

Minuette grinned, “Yeah, take a picture of us. Wouldn’t want to forget this memorable moment.” Party Favor had a difficult time keeping his eyes from rolling around in his head.

“Of course,” he responded through his teeth.

Turning toward her unicorn friend, Moon Dancer asked, “So Minuette, how did you receive your cutie mark? Your cutie mark has nothing to do with teeth, as your profession is a dentist assistant. Care to explain your story along with your choice of career?”

“Gladly,” Minuette nodded.

***

Minuette began pacing the floor of her room, panicking about the following school day. “Think Minuette, think!” she spoke lowly. “I mean, yes, you have the science project that you were supposed to work on all year, but you gotta come up with something…” She peered outside and saw several colts and fillies run about the cul-de-sac, kicking a ball around. Minuette would love to go outside and have some fun with her peers, but with an assignment that is worth 85% on the approach, even she knew her grades were important to her. She wanted to get into Canterlot’s School of Gifted Unicorns extremely badly and show her parents how smart she really was.

However, Minuette had one problem: procrastination. It was a nasty habit for anypony to have, especially for a child. Minuette did hate her nasty habit, but couldn’t help herself when it came to doing less boring things, like playing board games, or cooking pastries.

Drawing blanks, the upset filly sat at her desk and planted her face on the wooden surface. Why did I put this off until now? Why?! Why do I procrastinate?!

Then, and idea sprang in her mind. Sitting upright in her chair, she spoke aloud, “Why do I procrastinate?” Once more, she began to pace the floor. “Why do others procrastinate?” A wide grin almost touched Minuette’s eyes. “I KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR MY SCIENCE PROJECT!”