• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 1,100 Views, 64 Comments

Fundamentals - FerociousCreation



Throughout her life, Moon Dancer has been the pony to be by herself. Despite having resolved her friendship issue with Twilight Sparkle, the mare still acts the way she once did. That is... until Party Favor came into her life.

  • ...
4
 64
 1,100

Duck-Face

“My,” Moon Dancer chuckled, “I never thought that would be the story to how you received your cutie mark, let alone know what your cutie mark would be.”

Minuette batted a hoof at the unicorn. “Oh, it is nothing really.”

Moon Dancer scribbled down Minuette’s story with such intensity, making sure she got every important piece of information down. “I think it is humorous that you made a project based on procrastination while you were procrastinating.”

“Eh,” Minuette shrugged, “sometimes you have to point out your flaws before finding your special talent.”

The cream-coated mare froze and looked up at her friend with a serious stare. “Say that again…”

Minuette glanced over to Party Favor as he sat on a balloon sofa, simply listening to the two mares, but looking awfully trigger happy with his camera. “I said... sometimes you need to point out your flaws before finding your special talent. Is that a bad thing…?”

A smile slowly grew on Moon Dancer’s face. “Far from it. And I think after today, I will have a new subject about cutie marks to research.” The sound of a picture being taken made Moon Dancer’s ear twitch, and she looked at Party Favor who grinned at her as well.

“That was a cute smile you had there,” he spoke, almost ready to snap another picture. “I think that may be good for the scrapbook.” Moon Dancer slightly blushed and took a gander elsewhere, trying to look a lot less flustered.

“Oh stop,” Moon Dancer muttered, pushing her glasses up onto her face, in order to keep them from falling off her face. “You are too sweet.”

Minuette saw how Party Favor was trying to flatter Moon Dancer and needed to win her attention over. “I think it was good of me to give our friend even more ideas for our friend, wouldn’t you agree, Party Favor?” He shot her a bothered stare, and Minuette noticed, for a brief moment… Party Favor was blushing for a short while. Was he… Minuette shook her head, thinking that he was just bothered with her input. So she added more. “Perhaps, Moon Dancer, you should give me a time frame so I can give you a possible subject to study about cutie marks.”

No longer flustered by Party Favor’s compliment, Moon Dancer blinked, “I suppose, but you don’t have to go out of your way, unless you really want to.” Moon Dancer was grateful for Minuette’s suggestion; it made her feel even more welcome to the small friend circle she had. Clearing her throat, the unicorn took to her notes, then asked a question that was written down. “So, how does your cutie mark relate to your job as a dentist assistant?”

Minuette pondered the question, then answered, “When I am given a list of things to do at the office and with patients, I know how to not only give myself a good time schedule for myself, but also for my co-workers as well.”

Moon Dancer scratched her chin, curious as to how she will test her friend’s ability to effectively use the time given to her. “Are you good at solving puzzles, Minuette?”

The question puzzled the blue mare. “Maybe? Why do you ask?” In her peripheral, she watched Party Favor straighten himself, perhaps feeling that he will be needed in a short moment.

“If you are good with giving yourself a good timeframe,” Moon Dancer started, “then you should have no trouble with solving a puzzle with a time limit.”

“I am not sure if that is how my cutie mark works…” Minuette tapped her hooves together, not sure if puzzle solving was her forte.

But Moon Dancer shook her head, “I disagree. You had a problem when you put off your science project: lack of a subject matter. On a whim, you came up with a topic to study. From there, you made a timeframe for yourself and successfully had a science project ready in seven hours.” The mare chuckled, “Even I couldn’t do that if I tried…”

“Anyways… Minuette, I have another question to ask: when you are given a to-do list at your job, do you have to figure out who needs to do what at the dentistry? Do you find yourself, in a sense, solve a puzzle and make sure the answer to your problem is a plausible one?”

“Hmm…” Moon Dancer’s statement and then questions caused Minuette to really think hard about her cutie mark and special talent. “Maybe there is more to my cutie mark than I would have ever guessed… I guess I am the best friend for the job to test out your studies.”

“You forget about Party Favor,” Moon Dancer spoke, pointing a hoof at the stallion. The mares caught him making a duck-face expression at his camera. Noticing he was being stared at, Party Favor quickly collected himself and resumed his watch over Moon Dancer and Minuette. Both mares giggled at Party Favor before returning to the matter at hoof. “I have yet to ask him how he got his cutie mark and abilities to create such… interesting balloon creations.”

“I wouldn’t mind telling you my story,” Party Favor inputted. “But you can finish whatever you plan to do with Minuette before focusing on me.”

“Oh don’t you worry about that, my friend…” A smirk grew on Moon Dancer’s lips. “I will learn a lot about you and your cutie mark soon enough.”

Party Favor chuckled, “I think you might need a bigger notebook if you wanted to try and figure me out. Then again, I am sure I would need a notebook myself and study how you keep losing your glasses, despite my gift.”

“L-let’s not get on about that… silly fact, shall we?” While Moon Dancer blushed, Party Favor and Minuette laughed with each other. “Back on track, Minuette, are you willing to try and solve a puzzle for me at an attempt to study your cutie mark?”

The mare was quick to respond. “Of course! But just out of curiosity, what type of puzzle are we talking about?”