• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 1,100 Views, 64 Comments

Fundamentals - FerociousCreation



Throughout her life, Moon Dancer has been the pony to be by herself. Despite having resolved her friendship issue with Twilight Sparkle, the mare still acts the way she once did. That is... until Party Favor came into her life.

  • ...
4
 64
 1,100

On Ledge

Party Favor almost fled the study in shame, but he remained on the balcony. Running away won't solve anything. One way or another, Party Favor would have to face Moon Dancer eventually.

He paced back and forth, wondering if Minuette told Moon Dancer what was on his notepad. Party Favor flipped it open, his eyes scanning the scribbled notes. Recently, the stallion has been commissioned to set up a party for a mare’s birthday. On the list of things needed, was a comedian. Party Favor saw this as an opportunity to let out his inner funny, and quickly took the job.

The last few days involved a little bit of research, along with sharing his jokes to several guardsponies. So far, Party Favor was positive that his act will be humorous. The most recent of his growing comedy act was his “mares with cute glasses” skit. As much as he didn't want to admit it, Moon Dancer was quite the cute mare. Her bun and dark-gray sweater were adorable features, but her glasses… Moon Dancer’s glasses made her appear more… beautiful. And he couldn't figure out why.

Despite his confidence, Party Favor was not ready to show off his ideas quite yet, especially his most recent idea. And Minuette managed to get her eyes on the one that was inspired by Moon Dancer.

The balcony door hinge squeaked and a pony spoke through the crack of the door, “Party Favor, is everything okay?”

With a slow turn of the head, Party Favor saw Moon Dancer peeking at him. “You can come outside,” he offered, even though he’d rather remain alone.

Moon Dancer came forth, slow on her approach. “You can tell me what is wrong.”

Careful with his word choice, Party Favor answered, “Did Minuette tell you what she saw?”

“The only thing she told me was you wrote a list for a stand-up comedy,” she replied. “And trust me, I gave her a good scolding for flustering you.”

Party Favor’s ears fell into his curly mane, and his cheeks flushed, “Anything else?”

Moon Dancer cracked a smile, standing inches from the stallion. “Just that.” Her words didn't relieve any stress Party Favor held because Minuette knew exactly what was on his notepad. “Are you embarrassed about sharing that?” Moon Dancer asked.

Teeth knocked into one another while Party Favor thought up a response, “I wasn't ready to share it until later.”

“And when will later be?” Moon Dancer asked.

“At a party I will be setting up. Today in fact.” With the cat out of the bag, Party Favor figured he would tell Moon Dancer the event he will be attending.

“Is this why you didn't share this with Minuette or I before? You were embarrassed to tell us you were working on a comedy skit?” Moon Dancer couldn't help but giggle. “No wonder you were so funny yesterday.”

Party Favor shrugged, “I just needed to see if I can improvise on the spot.” He broke eye contact with Moon Dancer. “To answer your question, I didn't want either of you two knowing because I have never done stand up before. I want to make sure it is good before performing it to a crowd, and then to my friends.”

“I think it would be best to share with your friends before presenting to a crowd,” Moon Dancer argued, bringing a hoof to her chest.

“I did share my jokes to some of the guards and they seem to like them.”

“Then why didn't you share your jokes with me!?” Moon Dancer playfully shoved Party Favor’s shoulder.

“I am afraid you won't find them funny.” Party Favor looked at the balcony ledge, his notepad alone.

“Party Favor,” Moon Dancer spoke, “I am sure your jokes are funny.” She tapped his shoulder, bring the stallion’s attention back to him. “And even if I don’t find them humorous, I'm not going to hate you or anything.” Moon Dancer slightly folded her brows in thought. “Unless your jokes is insulting. Then I might not be very fond of your humor.”

“Some of my jokes do make fun of ponies I know,” Party Favor admitted. “But nothing too scarring.”

Moon Dancer grinned, “Anything about me?” Party Favor flushed, his lungs clogged with nervousness. “What, are your jokes about how obsessive I can be about studying?” she asked, certain she was a skit in his stand-up.

“I can… remove it…” Party Favor’s ears pressed further back, frightened by the mare with cute glasses.

Moon Dancer’s hoof firmly grasped the blue unicorn’s shoulder. “If you haven't noticed, you and I crack jokes at each other all the time. Besides, I trust that whatever you have about me is something I can relate to and understand.”

Party Favor was not too certain Moon Dancer would “relate” to how he views her. Party Favor knows he had just met her. How would she feel if he said her glasses made her look much more attractive? Then again, Party Favor remembered the other day how he took a picture of Moon Dancer, telling her she had a cute smile. But that was him being honest! It was the truth. And he didn't want the true truth to scare his close friend.

“How about… I tell you sometime later?” Party Favor finally mustered up something to weasel his way out of the conversation.

The mare tapped her chin, “How about after your stand-up? That way, you can test your jokes on others first, and then Minuette and I. How does that sound?”

“I can do that.” Party Favor felt slightly at ease, but knew he was delaying the inevitable. “In fact, I believe it is time for me to go.”

“Alright,” Moon Dancer nodded. “Knock em’ dead.”

“If I did that,” he replied, “I wouldn't have a party to cater for.” Party Favor smiled, watching Moon Dancer laugh at his improved joke.

“See what I mean? I just know I am going to like your jokes.” Moon Dancer hugged her friend, “Come by when you are done. Minuette and I will definitely want to hear all about your successful show.”

“Thanks,” Party Favor responded, hugging her back. He grabbed his notepad and made for the door. All of a sudden, Party Favor remembered how Moon Dancer’s irresponsibility with her glasses. Maybe she would like that crack at her.

Author's Note:

School and procrastination has been holding be back. Forgive my tartiness for the latest chapter... :applecry:

I do plan on going back and editing my earlier chapters. My creative writing class has been putting me through the ringer. Hopefully, my writing will be much more improved from here on out (but don't expect my spelling to dramatically change... That still needs work).