• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 1,100 Views, 64 Comments

Fundamentals - FerociousCreation



Throughout her life, Moon Dancer has been the pony to be by herself. Despite having resolved her friendship issue with Twilight Sparkle, the mare still acts the way she once did. That is... until Party Favor came into her life.

  • ...
4
 64
 1,100

Similar Situations

Minuette was hot on her brother’s hooves as Blue Moon scrambled to find the broom in the kitchen. Thinking this would be a perfect time to write down notes, Minuette went upstairs and grabbed a few sheets of paper and a pen before returning back downstairs.

With the afternoon light bleeding into the simple living room, the filly noticed a lot of dust particles dancing in the air. Blue Moon panted as he swept the wooden floor, mumbling to himself in fear of his mother’s scolding rage.

Feeling he need to move on with her research, Minuette asked, “Blue Moon, why did you wait until now to do your chores?” Blue Moon didn't look, nor respond to his sister, sweeping a pile of dust and dirt in a neat, messy pile. Despite her mute sibling, Minuette went over to the dinner table and spread out her white papers, and chose one to be her first to apply her notes to.

“Blue Moon, my brother, has been known throughout my house to procrastinate chores until the last minute. Because of this fact, he will be the test subject for this project.”

Minuette watched Blue Moon sweep up the pile of dirt and dust and felt the need to take a picture. Aiming the camera at him, the filly snapped a pic of her panicking sibling, a white light flashing brightly.

The flash caught Blue Moon off guard and caused him to stagger a bit, spots forming in his vision. “What the heck!?” he barked, then noticed the camera. “Are you trying to get me in trouble?!”

Minuette shook her head at Blue Moon’s accusation. “Of course not. Besides, you and I are both in trouble in different ways.” Blue Moon briskly returned the broom before obtaining a white rag and window cleaner, and then made his way to the front of the living room.

“Ah, your science project,” he commented, knowing his little sister has been stressing about her unstarted science project. Squeezing the handle on the window cleaner bottle, liquid sprawled on the glass surface. “So what, are you using me as some part of your science project?”

“Correct!” Another flash came from behind Blue Moon, the light reflecting off the glass, once again blinding him.

Through his spotty vision, Blue Moon faced Minuette who stood right behind him. “Can you at least warn me when you are about to take a picture? Or better yet, explain to me what experiment I am somehow apart of?”

Minuette explained to her brother her science project idea and how she wishes to observe his chore duties in hopes that her simple research would be enough for a good grade. Blue Moon chuckled at Minuette, amused with her simple, yet clever concept. “When did you get the idea to have procrastination as your topic? he asked, quickly finishing his chore.

“An hour ago…” Minuette rubbed the back of her head, her ears folding back, embarrassed at her confession. “Still, it would be interesting to figure out why we procrastinate and present that at school.”

Blue Moon went back into the kitchen, and replaced the window cleaner with furniture cleaner. “Well, lucky for you, I don't have any homework tonight, so I will be happy to help my careless sister.”

“Hey!” Minuette barked at her brother’s quip, “At least I don't put off my chores all the time. And I think Mom being angry is much worse.”

Blue Moon paused for a moment, thinking about what was just said. “Well put.” A lamp stood nearby and was looking slightly dusty, cluing the unicorn that it needed to be wiped down. “Anyways, ask away sister. Tell me what you want to know and I will try and answer to the best of my knowledge.”

***

"...and upon further questioning, my brother stated that he put off his chore duties not only today’s, but following chores as well, was because it was tedious and boring. Blue Moon also mentioned that when he procrastinates, he feels a strong sense of panic and his conscious immediately forces him to do his tasks."

Minuette paused her writing, smiling at her choice of words before resuming her research.


"This makes me believe that when a deadline is on the approach when little to no work has been done, the procrastinator will begin immediate work, even if they are not prepared. And as I write this down, I too am guilty of not being prepared, yet am driven forward by fear of punishment and a bad grade."

Her own words made Minuette worry about to tomorrow’s deadline, needing to have a fully prepared project. She pondered if she should use her own experience along with her brother’s choice to put of his chores.

Glancing up from her notes, Minuette watched Blue Moon briskly walked to the front door. Because of Minuette’s constant questioning, both siblings were distracted by their stressful predicament, easing some of the weight that rested on their young shoulders.

“Alright, all I have to do now is shake out the front door rug,” Blue Moon spoke aloud, reaching for the nob and gave it a twist. “I wonder where Mom is…”

Minuette tapped the pen on her cheek. “She should have been home a while ago.” Her eyes took a gander at the grandfather clock, its pendulum swinging, clicking the gears within the device. It read: 4:47. “Lucky for you, be glad Mom has been held up at work for whatever reason.”

“Yeah,” he chuckled as he pulled the door open. Blue Moon looked back at his sister with a grin. “I wonder what would happen if Mom came home and my chores weren’t done.”

“Gee, I do wonder…” an angry mother asked, her sapphire eyes wide and pinned on her son.

A loud clear of the throat rang in the living room as Bright Light peered down at the scared Blue Moon. The afternoon sun shined behind the unicorn, as if she was a holy messenger sent to smite the wrongdoer. “So, how come your chores not finished…?” she asked, her voice cold.

Instead of answering the given question, Blue Moon said, “All I need to do now is shake out the rug here and I will be done.” The colt turned to face his sister. “Right, Minuette?” Instead of getting a response from Minuette, a bright flash from her camera blinked. While Blue Moon blinked, trying to regain his vision, Minuette couldn't help but feel sorry for her brother; however, found herself giggling while her mother stared at the back of his head.

“Answer my question…” Bright Light growled. Her low words were like a shout and Blue Moon flinched, his ears retreating away from the mother.

Slowly, Blue Moon looked back at Bright Light and slowly opened his mouth to answer. “Because… I… procrastinated?” With the truth out, Blue Moon stared at the rug under his hooves. It mocked him at how close he was with finishing his chores, and yet, so far from completion.

“And why did you procrastinate?” Minuette brought her pen to a blank sheet of paper as her mother asked for an explanation from Blue Moon. Anything he was about to say will most likely help Minuette with her research.